If theres anything that liberal elites, especially Black liberal elites, hate more than white rednecks, its Black conservatives. Elites see them as sellouts, or Uncle Toms. MSNBC host Joy Reid once referred to Supreme Court Justice Clarence ThomasClarence ThomasSupreme Court wrestles with limits on digital billboard ads, free speech Winsome Sears: The latest Black conservative to make liberals nervous Will Supreme Court allow constitutional oversight to be outmaneuvered by Texas abortion law? MORE as Uncle Clarence. And since theyre not related, it was simply a cheap shot at a man whose conservative worldview makes him, in Reids view, a traitor to his race.
In 1991, then-Rep. Major Owens (D-N.Y.), a Black liberal, testified against Thomass confirmation, comparing him to Vidkun Quisling, a Norwegian military officer who collaborated with the Nazis. Three years later, on PBS, political commentator Julianne Malveaux, another Black liberal, said: I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early, like many Black men do, of heart disease. Now a dean at Cal State University Los Angeles, Malveaux has apologized for the remark, calling it a wisecrack.
Youd think Thomas was a grand wizard in the Ku Klux Klan, the way elites attacked him. And, of course, hes not the only Black conservative who drives liberals up the wall.
When radio talk show host Larry Elder, a Black conservative, was running this year to unseat California Gov. Gavin NewsomGavin NewsomJudge ends Britney Spears conservatorship after 13 years Manson family member Leslie Van Houten again recommended for parole Newsom says he canceled climate summit plans because kids wanted him home for Halloween MORE, a progressive Democrat, the Los Angeles Times published an opinion piece with the headline, Larry Elder is the Black face of white supremacy. The author, Erika D. Smith, is a Black woman of the left.
But for liberal elites, theres no shortage of Black conservative targets. So now we have Winsome Sears, the Black conservative who was just elected lieutenant governor of Virginia, who is the latest Black voice of supposed white supremacy. No fooling.
Professor Michael Eric Dyson, a Black intellectual who teaches at Vanderbilt University, was a guest on MSNBC the other day and said Sears is a ventriloquist for white bigots. There is a Black mouth moving but a white idea running on the runway of the tongue of a figure who justifies and legitimates the white supremacist practices, he said.
But, of course, Dyson wasnt surprised he expects nothing good coming out of the mouth of a Black conservative. So, to have a Black face speaking on behalf of a white supremacist legacy is nothing new, he said.
As for Reid, who smeared Thomas as an Uncle Tom, on election night last week she said, You have to be willing to vocalize that these Republicans are dangerous, that this isnt a party thats just another political party that disagrees with us on tax policy, that at this point, theyre dangerous. Theyre dangerous to our national security, because stoking that kind of soft, white nationalism eventually leads to the hardcore stuff.
But Sears a former Marine and the first Black woman to be elected to a statewide office in Virginia was having none of it. I wish Joy Reid would invite me on her show lets see if shes woman enough to do that, she said on Fox News the day after she won. Id go in a heartbeat and wed have a real discussion without Joy speaking about me behind my back, if you will.
I am a heartbeat away from the governorship, in case anything happens to the governor. How are you going to tell me I am a victim? she said. And I didnt do anything special to get here, except stay in school and study. I took advantage of the opportunities available here in America.
We can do better its not 1963, she added.
Except, when the subject is race, its always 1963 to elites on the left. Its always Birmingham, Ala., and the hateful Bull Connor, or some other racist place and person in the Old South. Youd think that by now progressives would have, well, progressed. But theyre stuck in the past. On matters of race, the past is their safe space. Thats when Blacks were victims and whites, their oppressors. Winsome Sears is telling them that Its not 1963 anymore, and thats something they dont want to hear.
Its a good message, one that liberal elites Black and white might give some thought to, if they werent so busy smearing Black conservatives who had the gall to stray from the liberal plantation.
Bernard Goldberg is an Emmy and an Alfred I. duPont-Columbia University award-winning writer and journalist. He was a correspondent with HBOs Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel for 22 years and previously worked as a reporter for CBS News and as an analyst for Fox News. He is the author of five books and publishes exclusive weekly columns, audio commentaries and Q&As on his Patreon page. Follow him on Twitter @BernardGoldberg.
Read more here:
- US Senate v liberal democracy: the battle in the heart of Washington DC - The Guardian - January 24th, 2022
- Youth wing of Australia's Liberal Party recognising the Republic of Artsakh and the Armenian, Assyrian, Greek Genocides Public Radio of Armenia -... - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal Boys and Girls Wrestling Teams Win at Atwood - KSCB News.net - January 24th, 2022
- The BC Liberal Party leadership appears to be in Kevin Falcon's hands - The Globe and Mail - January 24th, 2022
- Trump supporters exhibit greater cognitive rigidity and less interpersonal warmth than supporters of liberal candidates, study finds - PsyPost - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal leadership speculation a distraction, Trudeau should shut it down firmly, say Liberal MPs, political insiders, and pollsters - The Hill Times - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal media members heap praise on Biden following first solo press conference in months: 'Quite the change' - Fox News - January 24th, 2022
- Rooftop Revelations: Mentorship and ownership is the solution to policies from 'liberal white racists' - Fox News - January 24th, 2022
- LILLEY: CBC will get more of your money mostly because it serves Trudeau Liberals - Toronto Sun - January 24th, 2022
- American liberal elites are waking up to the benefits of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal groups pledge to punish Kyrsten Sinema in next reelection bid for refusing to gut filibuster - Washington Times - January 24th, 2022
- Federal election: 'Voices of' independent candidates have strong backing in three Liberal seats - The Australian Financial Review - January 24th, 2022
- Press Roundup: Speculations about Foreign Interference in Hungarian Elections - Hungary Today - January 24th, 2022
- Snapshot from day eight at the Open - Daily Liberal - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal media use Martin Luther King Jr. day to push election legislation, claim 'voting rights under assault' - Fox News - January 19th, 2022
- Liberals spend billions more on outsourced contracts since taking power - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2022
- Are Twitter and Facebook liberal or conservative? - Deseret News - January 19th, 2022
- Liberals in a lather over preselection irregularities for newly minted seat - The Age - January 19th, 2022
- Canada's Supreme Court is off-balance as 'large and liberal' consensus on the Charter falls apart - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2022
- Lawmaker defects to opposition in UK - Daily Liberal - January 19th, 2022
- At the Library | Session to help teens prepare for work - Daily Liberal - January 19th, 2022
- Our Beliefs | Liberal Party of Australia - January 14th, 2022
- Everything sucks here: Liberal parents are losing their minds over COVID-related school closures - Salon - January 14th, 2022
- Bill Maher spells out difference between liberals and woke liberals - New York Post - January 14th, 2022
- The liberal arts can counteract polarisation but there are caveats - Times Higher Education - January 14th, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Have suspicions of the liberal agenda? - The Winchester Star - January 14th, 2022
- Jeanine Pirro Named Co-host of The Five With Liberal Seat to Rotate Between Harold Ford Jr, Geraldo Rivera, and Jessica Tarlov - Business Wire - January 14th, 2022
- Conservative, liberal female figures weigh in on VP Harris report that her race and gender affect headlines - Fox News - January 14th, 2022
- Biden immigration promises after one year: Border chaos and frustrated liberals - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2022
- An outspoken Bath councillor has become the second to quit the Liberal Democrats this term amid allegations of bullying but the party say he is the... - January 14th, 2022
- Liberal Democrats in Harrogate and Knaresborough write to Andrew Jones MP calling for Boris Johnson to resign Harrogate Informer - Harrogate Informer - January 14th, 2022
- Ontario homeowner allowed to keep flying anti-Trudeau flag after town backs down - National Post - January 14th, 2022
- Liberalism, Realism and the Demise of National Values - Armenian Weekly - January 7th, 2022
- After Harry Reid's death, will the LDS Church ever see another liberal leader? - KUER 90.1 - January 7th, 2022
- Why Liberals Secretly Love Donald Trump - The National Interest - January 7th, 2022
- The liberal fantasy of the Capitol coup - UnHerd - January 7th, 2022
- Dining across the divide: I thought she was going to be an over-the-top liberal - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal fecklessness: The US is on a precipice and time is running out - Open Democracy - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal New York Magazine writer roasted for mocking conservative groups efforts to help stranded motorists - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal journalists shift on coronavirus as omicron variant surges: 'We don't orient our lives around the flu' - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- More 2021 Review, The Coup, and 2022 01/05 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - January 7th, 2022
- Liberals are really Indias fringe: What a new book on data says - The News Minute - January 7th, 2022
- Veer Savarkar, Hinduism, Hindutva and the liberal strawman arguments - OpIndia - January 7th, 2022
- Here are what COVID-19 restrictions are back in NSW - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- Japan imposes COVID curbs in three regions - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- England's Hameed at risk of record low - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- The Two-State Solution Is Deadand Liberal Zionists Can't Save It - Foreign Policy - December 31st, 2021
- Progressives have sacrificed liberalism - UnHerd - December 31st, 2021
- Her Grandfather Is a Conservative Icon. Her Comedy Is Liberal AF - Rolling Stone - December 31st, 2021
- Ontario Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca looks to claw his party back in next year's provincial election - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2021
- Biden still blameless on COVID in the eyes of our liberal media - Fox News - December 31st, 2021
- Opinion: In defense of the liberal arts - CT Post - December 31st, 2021
- Podcast! 2 first-year students explore the liberal arts benefits for a professor succeeding with an online enterprise - WCN (WestminsterCollege... - December 31st, 2021
- 2021 Year in Review: Highlights, Lowlights, and Lowlifes 12/29 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - December 31st, 2021
- Hundreds of homes burn in US wildfires - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Mike Tyson Australia ban went to the top - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- The images that defined 2021, by ACM photographers - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- New year but COVID pandemic continues - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Liberal, Kansas - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2021
- Conservatives and Liberals Are Wrong About Each Other - The Atlantic - December 27th, 2021
- Liberals should resolve to be more tolerant in 2022 our democracy depends on it - New York Post - December 27th, 2021
- Proposed regulation would ensure more liberal teachers, not better education - Washington Examiner - December 27th, 2021
- How Indian Liberalism Aided The Rise Of The Right OpEd - Eurasia Review - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal Zionism is collapsing into the Palestinian solidarity movement everywhere but Washington Beinart - Mondoweiss - December 27th, 2021
- Fred McKinney (opinion): Time for liberals to understand the truth about corporations - CT Post - December 27th, 2021
- Peace on Earth? Program shows how conservatives and liberals just might get along - The Advocate - December 27th, 2021
- Newspoll latest: Bitter blow for Prime Minister Scott Morison and the Liberal Party ahead of looming 2022 federal election - 7NEWS - December 27th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Times Colonist - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal senator Peter Poulos appointed to vacant parliamentary secretary role covering Wollonngong and the Illawarra - Illawarra Mercury - December 27th, 2021
- England won't turn on batters: Anderson - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- England show fight before another collapse - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- Conservative column too liberal with numbers | News, Sports, Jobs - Evening Observer - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark money' groups' revenue soared ahead of 2020 elections - Center for Responsive Politics - December 25th, 2021
- Bette Midler is the latest liberal to pretend to care about the 'average Joe' | TheHill - The Hill - December 25th, 2021
- Both political parties are a mix of conservative and liberal values | Education. Appreciation. Action. - Enumclaw Courier-Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Randy Boissonnault knows he must master a delicate balancing act as the Liberals' 'minister for all Albertans' - The Globe and Mail - December 25th, 2021
- Andrew Constance set to become Liberal party candidate in marginal Gilmore, after contenders withdraw - ABC News - December 25th, 2021
- The ultimate liberal hypocrisy: How the Left outrages over hate speech but turns a blind eye to hate crimes and violence - OpIndia - December 25th, 2021
- Where weve got women, we win: NSW Liberals aim to replicate local government success at federal level - Sydney Morning Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal MP Andrew Laming to be taken to court by electoral commission over Facebook page - The Guardian Australia - December 25th, 2021