Being the discerning lot that they are,Spectator Australia readers would have by now worked out that I am a social conservative and an economic dry, in the vein of my modern political heroes: Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, John Howard and Tony Abbott. Mr Abbott, granted, could be considered less of an economic dry for sure, but I venture to say that he and I share the same Catholicism of another of my heroes: George Cardinal Pell: standing four-square with the Magisterium of the Church and Catholic Orthodoxy.
In apiece back in May, I stated that I have not voted Liberal since 2016, having previously done so all my life, since in my view the Liberal Party no longer espouses the values which its founder and this countrys greatest prime minister, laid out. Menzies would be appalled at what his Liberal Party has become. It no longer advocates for the forgotten class the middle class who, properly regarded, represent the backbone of this country taken for granted by each political party in turn.
I am not alone. As Charles Pier reported in this Flat White piecerecently, around 30% of Coalition votersare questioning whetherthegovernmentdeservesanother term. We now have four or five new parties whose putative constituents would have once been natural Liberal/National voters. Of all of these alternatives,if I had to vote today, Ijust might choosethe Liberal Democrats.
That statement mightshockfriends and acquaintances. Campbell Newmans views on social issues are a mile away from mine. However,I willnever compromise my opposition toabortion, euthanasia, gay marriage etc., thusexcluding the possibility of any candidacy on my part.Yet, social conservatives are notexcluded frommembership ofthe Liberal Democrats, a bit like the broad church John Howard wanted the Liberals to be.The Liberal Democrats do not supportthe wokeLBGQIT+ agenda, either.Their position during the gay marriage debate was that government should be removed from marriage,bar recognising couples. I disagree with that position.But lets not forget a significant minority of non-Catholics voted for B.A. Santamarias DLP.And how many people voted for Howard and Hawke even though they didnt agree with them on everything, but were persuaded to do so because oftheir conviction to make Australia a better country?
To those who beg to differ, Isay this.
Australia is at a point where we need to look at a bigger picture. We have forgotten how to live because we have been made afraid to die of something that has a 99.7% recovery rate. We are in a war for our fundamental way of life.When a pregnant woman can be arrested in her own home in front of her children, when the inalienable right to free speech is being suppressed violently (unless you belong to BLM, or Extinction Rebellion), when dying cancer patients cannot see their children because of The Science, yet The Science doesnt apply to sports stars, politicians, Brett Sutton and Hollywood actors, we on the conservative (that is to say, once Liberal/National voters) side, need to band together to send the Coalition a message.All of us, social conservatives and economic dries, have reason to bevery aggrievedwiththe Coalition andthe current tenant of the Lodge in particular, who has no conviction whatsoever.
Scott Morrison sayshe believes in informed consent and personal responsibilityfor what we put into our bodies andhasstated that herespects the views of those who wish to refuse abortion-tainted vaccines, but will mandate them anyway.On this, Morrison, his government and state premiers seem determined to gaslight the public, labelling those who are unvaccinated as a threat to public health, when evidence from around the world is demonstrating that any benefit conferred by the vaccine is entirely personal, whichbenefit may not be that great just look atIsrael.Ergo,asGraeme Youngwrote last week,vaccineapartheid,whetherproposed by governmentsorprivate enterprise, serves no goodpoint. And if there is no point, then they are an infringement on basichumanrights. No ifs, no buts.
It wasScott Morrison who said free speech doesntcreate a single job. It wasScott Morrison who convicted ADF personnel before they had even been tried. ItwasScott Morrison who failed to defend the principle that underpins Australias Constitution:one indissoluble Commonwealth. After three terms in government, the Coalition has not enactedeven modest industrial relations reform, or acted to appoint conservative High Court judges, ortorein in SBS and the ABC.Now it is creeping toward net-zero emissions by 2050. How many jobs of the quiet Australians will that cost?
Over the last 18 months, the Coalition government has spent billions bailing out lockdown happy authoritarian premiers, enabling their tyrannical behaviour.No wonder Marshal Mark and Princess Ananstacia are giving the federal government the proverbial middle finger on opening up their borders.
The record debtMorrison andFrydenburghave racked up isnt the only fiscal problem.Consider this:Australiaspersonal and corporate tax ratesare among the highest among OECD member countries.Australia has an over-reliance on personal income tax over consumption taxes almost half at 41%.The Coalition has done nothing about this in three terms. Why would it do anything in a fourth?
Heres one lastthought. In 1942Australias federation was under threat because of theUniform Tax Case. With the Commonwealth wanting to take over income taxation powers to fund the war effort, the States took the Commonwealth to the High Court, and lost. After that, all banded together to defeat the common enemy, theAxis Powers. In 1942 the Japanese bombed Darwin and Broome, and Australia was under serious threat of invasion.
As Campbell Newman has said, it is time to save Australia.In an interview of Senator JimMolanby former Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson on hispodcast series,Conversations with John Anderson, Molan and Anderson argue that the first line of defence is for a nation to be united around its shared values. What are the core values conservatives share? Lower taxes, smaller government, reward for individual effort, defence of the family and the importance of national sovereignty, the rule of law and, above all, individual liberty.
If you are not attracted tothe Liberal Democrats, there arealternatives,as I noted above.There is goodwill and good relations between the minor parties on the right.They are different but lets see which one of them emerges from the pack. I suspect at least one will.Therefore,I implore all those parties to work together as closely as humanly possible to fight effectively the common foes in thisnewwarwe are in againstCovidhysteria and the ruling classfuellingit that are killing what was once among the best countries in the world.
Dr Rocco Loiacono is a senior lecturer atCurtin Law School.
The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Curtin University.
- 8 times liberal media tried to ruin Thanksgiving, from ditching turkey to declaring genocide remains on menu - Fox News - November 28th, 2021
- Liberals introduce bill to provide sick pay, ban intimidation of patients and health-care workers - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal MP crosses the floor to support independent bill for federal integrity commission - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- A 20-year spike in inflation could put the bite on the Trudeau Liberals - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- John Rawls and Liberalism's Selective Conscience - The Nation - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal Party members running as independents, community candidates in local elections - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- No need for overdevelopment: Labor, Liberal councillors united in opposition to apartment towers - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Harassment on rise in federal bureaucracy - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Teen went to Byron bar before vanishing - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal dark money juggernaut raises $1.6 billion to flood left-wing groups with cash, tax forms reveal - Fox News - November 27th, 2021
- Justin Trudeau and Liberals inaugurate third term in officeausterity and mass infection at home, militarism and war abroad - WSWS - November 27th, 2021
- John Ivison: Liberals so focused on carbon taxes, they missed the flood coming in the back door - National Post - November 27th, 2021
- Liberal support is disintegrating but barely going to Hanson, Palmer or the LDP - The Spectator Australia - November 27th, 2021
- How Scott Morrison is trashing the Liberal brand - The Canberra Times - November 27th, 2021
- Man pranks conservative radio show by naming a ton of punk bands in his liberal bash - Boing Boing - November 27th, 2021
- NDP, Progressive Conservatives have provincial candidates for Niagara Falls; Liberal candidate to be announced soon - NiagaraFallsReview.ca - November 27th, 2021
- Careers - Liberal Party of Canada - November 25th, 2021
- Is the honeymoon period over for liberal arts in Asia? - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 25th, 2021
- Morrison accuses critics of wanting kangaroo court as Liberal MP crosses floor over integrity bill - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal economists got the memo: Build Back Better couldn't possibly worsen inflation | TheHill - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- Early signs of Liberal leadership ambitions as Chrystia Freeland biography in works - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Its a bad culture: former Liberal treasurer calls for $200 cap on political donations to boost integrity - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Justice minister urges new 'liberal' Constitution in Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - November 25th, 2021
- Politics Briefing: Erin O'Toole takes shot at Liberals, avoids internal party issues in caucus speech - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Bengal violence to farm protests: How liberal privilege shapes the way we think about what matters - Firstpost - November 25th, 2021
- Northern Ontario Liberal Anthony Rota re-elected as Speaker of the House of Commons - Globalnews.ca - November 25th, 2021
- Five years of struggle: Liberal backbencher warns national mental health will take time - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal storm over candidates to take on Steggall, Kelly in NSW seats - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Opinion | Woke Went the Way of P.C. and Liberal - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark-money' behemoth funneled more than $400M in 2020 - Politico - November 19th, 2021
- Former Liberal leader to join forces with Labor veteran in bid to target Morrison ahead of election - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- The intellectual rights war on Americas institutions - Vox - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals push to speed up NSW preselections amid frustration at tactics of key Scott Morrison ally - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals to introduce tougher version of bill to ban conversion therapy - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- Michelle Beckley, one of the Texas Houses most liberal members, joins Democratic primary for lieutenant governor - KPRC Click2Houston - November 19th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- The India that Vir Das and liberals want and the one they wont talk about - ThePrint - November 19th, 2021
- Britain's establishment has split into two, each convinced it is the underdog - The Economist - November 19th, 2021
- Meet the Liberal team running for Georges River Council - St George and Sutherland Shire Leader - November 19th, 2021
- Statement by Steven Del Duca on the 552nd Anniversary of the Birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji - Ontario Liberal Party - November 19th, 2021
- The Liberals. The shrinking tribe - The Spectator Australia - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives, NDP demand release of documents linked to 'troubling' claims Clerk of House favoured Liberals - CBC.ca - November 15th, 2021
- China Liberal Receives Recognition and Recommendation by Industry Experts for Its All-in-one Teaching Machine AI-Space - PRNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- What happened to woke: Liberal media blame Republicans for the term's downfall - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - Coast Reporter - November 15th, 2021
- Brad Wall: Nothing progressive about Liberal policies hiking the cost of living - National Post - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives more effective than liberals on Twitter: study | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis - Asahi Shimbun - November 15th, 2021
- Harvard To Begin To Offer 'Young Liberal Leaders' Scholarship Which Will Grant Up To $100000 In Tuition Reimbursement To Young Democrats - ValueWalk - November 15th, 2021
- Hockey backs former journalist and calls for a contested Liberal preselection in Willoughby - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- Federal Court dismisses bid to prevent reporting on alleged abuse of public resources - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- BC Liberal critic Kirkpatrick presses the NDP to stop the clawback of autism funding - Voiceonline.com - November 15th, 2021
- CNN commentators fume after CNN report on Kamala Harris office dysfunction: 'I had to push back heavily' - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Garden a focus of William Tyrrell probe - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Forbes evacuation order as flood threatens - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Single-use plastics to be banned in NSW - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- The wealthy pay more than their 'fair share' and liberals know it | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Emily Kaplan On The Rise of the Liberal Latter-day Saints - KUER 90.1 - November 13th, 2021
- Winsome Sears: The latest Black conservative to make liberals nervous | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Discredited anti-Trump Steele dossier was embraced by liberal media: Here are five of the biggest offenders - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Newsweek editor accuses White, affluent liberals of 'using the pain of African Americans' to further goals - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Brazil: Bolsonaro joins Liberal Party ahead of 2022 election - DW (English) - November 13th, 2021
- Opinion: F.W. de Klerk was neither a liberal nor a reformer. But he was a pragmatist - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Protesting Alleged Liberal Bias in Higher Ed, Scholars Announce a University of Their Own - EdSurge - November 13th, 2021
- Betsy DeVos: Liberal 'wokeness' will always 'rename, rebrand, or repackage' 'insidious ideas' such as critical race theory to keep them alive - Denver... - November 13th, 2021
- Opinion: That Liberal-NDP deal in full: the NDP agree not to do what they weren't going to do anyway - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal government vows to hire more staff to address veterans' backlog, caseloads - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Joe Concha: Only reason these liberal pundits have a job is to sow division in America - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Sen. Josh Hawley claims without evidence that liberals are attacking masculinity - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Drive On College Campuses Is Becoming A Routine Part Of Hiring, No Evidence That Intellectual Talent Improves -... - November 13th, 2021
- How a grocery store visit highlights voters' fears that Kevin Vuong could be a lame duck MP - CBC.ca - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal media fawns over SNL skit about Goober the Clown who had an abortion when she was 23 - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Liberals leaving nuclear's future 'to the market' while other countries bet big - National Post - November 13th, 2021
- Thats ideology: City of Sydney Liberal team take on Moore over bike paths - Sydney Morning Herald - November 13th, 2021
- Rex Murphy: Stephen Harper is right how Liberals are treating the West is inexcusable - National Post - November 13th, 2021
- Talkin' Truthful Trash With Liberals And Conservatives - The Chattanoogan - November 5th, 2021
- The Limits of Liberal Science - The Bulwark - November 5th, 2021
- On abortion, Germany is not as liberal as you may think - Euronews - November 5th, 2021
- Churchill: New York isn't as liberal as everyone thinks - Times Union - November 5th, 2021
- Opinion: Is carbon pricing Liberal policy? For the most part, it's anything but - The Globe and Mail - November 5th, 2021
- Liberal, Green leaders withdraw from COVID commitee as striking health-care workers forced back - Globalnews.ca - November 5th, 2021