As the Taliban swept through Afghanistan in August, a Gen Z alt-right group ran a Twitter account devoted to celebrating their progress. Tweets in Pashto juxtaposed two laughing Taliban fighters with pictures meant to represent American effeminacy. Another said, the words auto-translated into English, Liberalism did not fail in Afghanistan because it was Afghanistan, it failed because it was not true. It failed America, Europe and the world see it.
The account, now suspended, was just one example of the open admiration for the Taliban thats developed within parts of the American right. The influential young white supremacist Nick Fuentes an ally of the Arizona Republican congressman Paul Gosar and the anti-immigrant pundit Michelle Malkin wrote on the encrypted app Telegram: The Taliban is a conservative, religious force, the U.S. is godless and liberal. The defeat of the U.S. government in Afghanistan is unequivocally a positive development. An account linked to the Proud Boys expressed respect for the way the Taliban took back their national religion as law, and executed dissenters.
The far right, the alt-right, are all sort of galvanized by the Taliban essentially running roughshod through Afghanistan, and us leaving underneath a Democratic president, said Moustafa Ayad, executive director for Africa, the Middle East and Asia at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, a think tank devoted to countering violent extremism. Theyre looking at Afghanistan, he said, from a standpoint of us getting owned, in the parlance of the internet.
This is not the first time that right-wing American extremists have been inspired by Muslim militants; several white supremacists lauded Al Qaedas attacks on Sept. 11. The difference now is that the far right has grown, and the distance between the sort of right-wingers who cheer for the Taliban and conservative power centers has shrunk.
The Florida Republican Matt Gaetz may be a clown, but hes also a congressman who was close to the previous president. On Twitter earlier this month, Gaetz described the Taliban, like Trump, as more legitimate than the last government in Afghanistan or the current government here.
Twenty years ago, in the aftermath of Sept. 11, the United States embarked on a war that would, in time, sell itself as a battle for democracy. Back then, liberal democracy was almost universally venerated in America, which is one reason we had the hubris to think we could export it by force. Many, especially on the right, worried about the threat that jihadism posed to a modern, open society. The tragic journey of the last two decades began with the loudest voices on the right braying for war with Islamism and ended with a right-wing vanguard envying it.
At least before the devastating terrorist attacks on Thursday, there was a subtler form of satisfaction with the Talibans takeover among more respectable nationalist conservatives. They dont sympathize with barbarism, but were pleased to see liberal internationalism lose. The humiliation of Afghanistan will have been worth it if it pries the old paradigm loose and lets new thoughts in, Yoram Hazony, an influential nationalist intellectual whose conferences feature figures like Josh Hawley and Peter Thiel, tweeted earlier this month.
What old paradigm? Well, a few days later he tweeted, What went wrong in Iraq and Afghanistan was, first and foremost, the ideas in the heads of the people running the show. Say its name: Liberalism.
Foxs Tucker Carlson, the most important nationalist voice in America, seemed to sympathize with the gender politics of Taliban-supporting Afghans. They dont hate their own masculinity, he said shortly after the fall of Kabul. They dont think its toxic. They like the patriarchy. Some of their women like it too. So now theyre getting it all back. So maybe its possible that we failed in Afghanistan because the entire neoliberal program is grotesque. (By neoliberalism he seems to mean social liberalism, not austerity economics.)
It turns out that when the government deceptively invokes liberal democracy to justify a war, liberal democracy can be discredited by a grueling defeat. In his new book Reign of Terror, the national security journalist Spencer Ackerman draws a direct line between our stalemated post-9/11 wars and the rise of Donald Trump. Trump was able to safely voice the reality of the war by articulating what about it most offended right-wing exceptionalists: humiliation, he wrote.
Humiliation is a volatile emotion. Many have written about its role in motivating Al Qaeda. Perhaps its not surprising that parts of the right would respond to humiliation by identifying with images of brutal masculinity.
Some of this identification might just be for shock value; the alt-right is adept at using irony to occlude its intentions. But some of it is deadly earnest.
Weve come across a lot of content thats U.S.-based extreme far-right websites saying how good the Taliban victory is, and why its good for their cause, said Adam Hadley, director of Tech Against Terrorism, a U.N.-supported project that monitors extremists online. One neo-Nazi website, which I wont link to, has a tract hailing the Taliban victory in part for showing that a small band of armed fundamentalists can defeat the American empire.
As for the rest of the pro-Taliban right, the Proud Boys and incels and MAGA splinter factions, some of them are probably just trolling. But as groups like QAnon and the civil war-hungry Boogaloo Bois show, a movement can seem absurd and still be a source of real radicalization. The classic response to any of this is, Ah, theyre just a fringe group, and then when that metastasizes, a lot of people eat their words, said Ayad.
If theres one lesson of recent American history, its that theres no such thing as something too ridiculous to be dangerous.
Originally posted here:
- Liberal media use Martin Luther King Jr. day to push election legislation, claim 'voting rights under assault' - Fox News - January 19th, 2022
- Liberals spend billions more on outsourced contracts since taking power - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2022
- Are Twitter and Facebook liberal or conservative? - Deseret News - January 19th, 2022
- Liberals in a lather over preselection irregularities for newly minted seat - The Age - January 19th, 2022
- Canada's Supreme Court is off-balance as 'large and liberal' consensus on the Charter falls apart - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2022
- Lawmaker defects to opposition in UK - Daily Liberal - January 19th, 2022
- At the Library | Session to help teens prepare for work - Daily Liberal - January 19th, 2022
- Our Beliefs | Liberal Party of Australia - January 14th, 2022
- Everything sucks here: Liberal parents are losing their minds over COVID-related school closures - Salon - January 14th, 2022
- Bill Maher spells out difference between liberals and woke liberals - New York Post - January 14th, 2022
- The liberal arts can counteract polarisation but there are caveats - Times Higher Education - January 14th, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Have suspicions of the liberal agenda? - The Winchester Star - January 14th, 2022
- Jeanine Pirro Named Co-host of The Five With Liberal Seat to Rotate Between Harold Ford Jr, Geraldo Rivera, and Jessica Tarlov - Business Wire - January 14th, 2022
- Conservative, liberal female figures weigh in on VP Harris report that her race and gender affect headlines - Fox News - January 14th, 2022
- Biden immigration promises after one year: Border chaos and frustrated liberals - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2022
- An outspoken Bath councillor has become the second to quit the Liberal Democrats this term amid allegations of bullying but the party say he is the... - January 14th, 2022
- Liberal Democrats in Harrogate and Knaresborough write to Andrew Jones MP calling for Boris Johnson to resign Harrogate Informer - Harrogate Informer - January 14th, 2022
- Ontario homeowner allowed to keep flying anti-Trudeau flag after town backs down - National Post - January 14th, 2022
- Liberalism, Realism and the Demise of National Values - Armenian Weekly - January 7th, 2022
- After Harry Reid's death, will the LDS Church ever see another liberal leader? - KUER 90.1 - January 7th, 2022
- Why Liberals Secretly Love Donald Trump - The National Interest - January 7th, 2022
- The liberal fantasy of the Capitol coup - UnHerd - January 7th, 2022
- Dining across the divide: I thought she was going to be an over-the-top liberal - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal fecklessness: The US is on a precipice and time is running out - Open Democracy - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal New York Magazine writer roasted for mocking conservative groups efforts to help stranded motorists - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal journalists shift on coronavirus as omicron variant surges: 'We don't orient our lives around the flu' - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- More 2021 Review, The Coup, and 2022 01/05 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - January 7th, 2022
- Liberals are really Indias fringe: What a new book on data says - The News Minute - January 7th, 2022
- Veer Savarkar, Hinduism, Hindutva and the liberal strawman arguments - OpIndia - January 7th, 2022
- Here are what COVID-19 restrictions are back in NSW - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- Japan imposes COVID curbs in three regions - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- England's Hameed at risk of record low - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- The Two-State Solution Is Deadand Liberal Zionists Can't Save It - Foreign Policy - December 31st, 2021
- Progressives have sacrificed liberalism - UnHerd - December 31st, 2021
- Her Grandfather Is a Conservative Icon. Her Comedy Is Liberal AF - Rolling Stone - December 31st, 2021
- Ontario Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca looks to claw his party back in next year's provincial election - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2021
- Biden still blameless on COVID in the eyes of our liberal media - Fox News - December 31st, 2021
- Opinion: In defense of the liberal arts - CT Post - December 31st, 2021
- Podcast! 2 first-year students explore the liberal arts benefits for a professor succeeding with an online enterprise - WCN (WestminsterCollege... - December 31st, 2021
- 2021 Year in Review: Highlights, Lowlights, and Lowlifes 12/29 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - December 31st, 2021
- Hundreds of homes burn in US wildfires - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Mike Tyson Australia ban went to the top - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- The images that defined 2021, by ACM photographers - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- New year but COVID pandemic continues - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Liberal, Kansas - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2021
- Conservatives and Liberals Are Wrong About Each Other - The Atlantic - December 27th, 2021
- Liberals should resolve to be more tolerant in 2022 our democracy depends on it - New York Post - December 27th, 2021
- Proposed regulation would ensure more liberal teachers, not better education - Washington Examiner - December 27th, 2021
- How Indian Liberalism Aided The Rise Of The Right OpEd - Eurasia Review - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal Zionism is collapsing into the Palestinian solidarity movement everywhere but Washington Beinart - Mondoweiss - December 27th, 2021
- Fred McKinney (opinion): Time for liberals to understand the truth about corporations - CT Post - December 27th, 2021
- Peace on Earth? Program shows how conservatives and liberals just might get along - The Advocate - December 27th, 2021
- Newspoll latest: Bitter blow for Prime Minister Scott Morison and the Liberal Party ahead of looming 2022 federal election - 7NEWS - December 27th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Times Colonist - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal senator Peter Poulos appointed to vacant parliamentary secretary role covering Wollonngong and the Illawarra - Illawarra Mercury - December 27th, 2021
- England won't turn on batters: Anderson - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- England show fight before another collapse - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- Conservative column too liberal with numbers | News, Sports, Jobs - Evening Observer - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark money' groups' revenue soared ahead of 2020 elections - Center for Responsive Politics - December 25th, 2021
- Bette Midler is the latest liberal to pretend to care about the 'average Joe' | TheHill - The Hill - December 25th, 2021
- Both political parties are a mix of conservative and liberal values | Education. Appreciation. Action. - Enumclaw Courier-Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Randy Boissonnault knows he must master a delicate balancing act as the Liberals' 'minister for all Albertans' - The Globe and Mail - December 25th, 2021
- Andrew Constance set to become Liberal party candidate in marginal Gilmore, after contenders withdraw - ABC News - December 25th, 2021
- The ultimate liberal hypocrisy: How the Left outrages over hate speech but turns a blind eye to hate crimes and violence - OpIndia - December 25th, 2021
- Where weve got women, we win: NSW Liberals aim to replicate local government success at federal level - Sydney Morning Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal MP Andrew Laming to be taken to court by electoral commission over Facebook page - The Guardian Australia - December 25th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Coast Reporter - December 25th, 2021
- NDP call on the Liberal government to uphold commitments on human rights - ndp.ca - December 25th, 2021
- The full text of the Queen's Xmas message - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- Omicron grounds hundreds of US flights - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- Tennis star COVID positive in Sydney - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- UT College of Liberal Arts: - December 19th, 2021
- Liberal pundits react to Manchin's 'no' on Build Back Better: 'A lot to process' - Fox News - December 19th, 2021
- The Law Schools With The Most Conservative And Liberal Students (2022) - Above the Law - December 19th, 2021
- Liberals disappointed after Biden's first year | TheHill - The Hill - December 19th, 2021
- Tories bet on Liberal to oversee Ontario Lottery and Gaming - Toronto Star - December 19th, 2021
- A Democratic socialist, the state's most liberal lawmaker: Meet the Texas progressives aiming for Congress - San Antonio Express-News - December 19th, 2021
- Dick Gottfried, Champion of Liberal Causes, to Retire After 52 Years - The New York Times - December 19th, 2021
- Liberal government gets all its priority legislation enacted before Christmas break - CTV News - December 19th, 2021
- Calls grow from Liberal, Tory MPs for federal intervention in Quebecs Bill 21 - Global News - December 19th, 2021