Aaron Gunn would be the end of the BC Liberals. Thats not speculative; Gunn intends to change the BC Liberals name and much more. He repeated this during his official leadership campaign announcement on Saturday. Although not greenlit as a candidate yet, Gunn has the intentions and support to shake up and break up the BC Liberals.
The Victoria-raised Gunn is not shy about calling himself a small-c conservative. His strident right-wing politics stand out on the NDPs Vancouver Island stronghold. Unlike other BC Liberal candidates who doggedly avoid the culture war, Gunn is on its frontlines. He protested the 2018 removal of Sir John A. MacDonalds statue from Victoria city hall, he was cancelled by the University of Victoria in 2020, and has provided unfavourable ongoing coverage of the activists at Fairy Creek.
BC Liberal establishment figures like Mark Marissen have scorned him. Marissen has a long history of campaigning for both the federal and BC Liberals and is former BC Liberal premier Christy Clarks ex-husband. Despite the BC Liberals reputation for being the provinces centre-right party, many federal Liberals like Marissen support it. Joyce Murray once sat as a BC Liberal MLA and now sits as a federal Liberal MP and cabinet minister in the Trudeau government.
The party exists as a dtente between federal Liberal supporters like Marissen and Tory supporters like former deputy premier Kevin Falcon. Falcon even endorsed Maxime Bernier in the 2017 Conservative leadership race. The coalitions uniting purpose is keeping the NDP out of power in BC and it has failed at it for two consecutive elections.
Despite Falcons previous enthusiasm for right-wing figures like Bernier, the BC Liberal establishment is desperate to shred the evidence of conservative politics that goes beyond tax cuts and deregulation. Mark Marissen contended that the unabashedly right-wing Aaron Gunn has no place in the BC Liberals.
It makes sense for the enfeebled BC Liberals to shun the Gunn candidacy. The party teeters on the brink of becoming a rump in the legislative assembly. The frail free-enterprise enthusiast coalition of conservatives and centrists cannot coexist with Gunn at the helm. Much of Gunns media output consists of interviewing federal Tories and attacking Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. BC Liberal supporters with connections to the federal Liberals like Mark Marissen will be in an impossible position.
The BC Liberals hemorrhaged votes in the last election. Polling websites give the NDP a 99-100% chance of winning the next one and few people would dispute that likely result. The BC Liberals are a complete and utter mess with no clear direction beyond being broadly pro-business and opposed to the NDP. Aaron Gunns candidacy promises a return to conservative politics that has not existed since Premier WAC Bennett. Gunn mentioned Bennett (16:14) as an inspiration in his Saturday speech.
More British Columbians voted Tory in the last federal election than any other party. Gunn is friendly with the Tories and could bring in a string of endorsements from Tory politicians and even public figures like Conrad Black, whom he interviewed among many more.
BC Liberal candidates signed up around 30,000 new members to vote in the partys last leadership election. Gunn has 80,000 followers on Facebook alone. For establishment figures like Mark Marissen, and MLAs running for leader like Michael Lee and Ellis Ross, their nightmare is Gunns supporters flooding the BC Liberals with new memberships to vote for him.
Gunns campaign is unmistakably a takeover attempt. Renaming the BC Liberals is just cosmetic. Aaron Gunn would end the free-enterprise coalition and turn it into a party by and for conservatives. Roughly 800,000 votes are needed to win a provincial election in BC. About 740,000 British Columbians voted Tory in Septembers federal election. Gunns ambitions for an explicit right-wing alternative to the NDP are more feasible than the BC Liberals want to admit.
If the BC Liberals approve Gunns candidacy, he has a good chance of winning and effectively destroying the party. If the party doesnt greenlight Gunn, they risk losing thousands of right-wing votes to a splinter campaign. That contest is years away and Gunn has ample time to build a breakaway movement. The choice and predicament is the BC Liberals fault alone for failing to offer a compelling alternative to voters. They roll the dice either way. The NDP probably doesnt mind.
Geoff Russ is a writer and journalist who has had his reporting featured in The Source, The Spec, The Tyee and The Times Colonist.
Have an opinion you want to share? Email it to us at [emailprotected].
Go here to read the rest:
- 8 times liberal media tried to ruin Thanksgiving, from ditching turkey to declaring genocide remains on menu - Fox News - November 28th, 2021
- Liberals introduce bill to provide sick pay, ban intimidation of patients and health-care workers - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal MP crosses the floor to support independent bill for federal integrity commission - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- A 20-year spike in inflation could put the bite on the Trudeau Liberals - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- John Rawls and Liberalism's Selective Conscience - The Nation - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal Party members running as independents, community candidates in local elections - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- No need for overdevelopment: Labor, Liberal councillors united in opposition to apartment towers - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Harassment on rise in federal bureaucracy - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Teen went to Byron bar before vanishing - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal dark money juggernaut raises $1.6 billion to flood left-wing groups with cash, tax forms reveal - Fox News - November 27th, 2021
- Justin Trudeau and Liberals inaugurate third term in officeausterity and mass infection at home, militarism and war abroad - WSWS - November 27th, 2021
- John Ivison: Liberals so focused on carbon taxes, they missed the flood coming in the back door - National Post - November 27th, 2021
- Liberal support is disintegrating but barely going to Hanson, Palmer or the LDP - The Spectator Australia - November 27th, 2021
- How Scott Morrison is trashing the Liberal brand - The Canberra Times - November 27th, 2021
- Man pranks conservative radio show by naming a ton of punk bands in his liberal bash - Boing Boing - November 27th, 2021
- NDP, Progressive Conservatives have provincial candidates for Niagara Falls; Liberal candidate to be announced soon - NiagaraFallsReview.ca - November 27th, 2021
- Careers - Liberal Party of Canada - November 25th, 2021
- Is the honeymoon period over for liberal arts in Asia? - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 25th, 2021
- Morrison accuses critics of wanting kangaroo court as Liberal MP crosses floor over integrity bill - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal economists got the memo: Build Back Better couldn't possibly worsen inflation | TheHill - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- Early signs of Liberal leadership ambitions as Chrystia Freeland biography in works - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Its a bad culture: former Liberal treasurer calls for $200 cap on political donations to boost integrity - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Justice minister urges new 'liberal' Constitution in Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - November 25th, 2021
- Politics Briefing: Erin O'Toole takes shot at Liberals, avoids internal party issues in caucus speech - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Bengal violence to farm protests: How liberal privilege shapes the way we think about what matters - Firstpost - November 25th, 2021
- Northern Ontario Liberal Anthony Rota re-elected as Speaker of the House of Commons - Globalnews.ca - November 25th, 2021
- Five years of struggle: Liberal backbencher warns national mental health will take time - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal storm over candidates to take on Steggall, Kelly in NSW seats - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Opinion | Woke Went the Way of P.C. and Liberal - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark-money' behemoth funneled more than $400M in 2020 - Politico - November 19th, 2021
- Former Liberal leader to join forces with Labor veteran in bid to target Morrison ahead of election - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- The intellectual rights war on Americas institutions - Vox - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals push to speed up NSW preselections amid frustration at tactics of key Scott Morrison ally - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals to introduce tougher version of bill to ban conversion therapy - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- Michelle Beckley, one of the Texas Houses most liberal members, joins Democratic primary for lieutenant governor - KPRC Click2Houston - November 19th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- The India that Vir Das and liberals want and the one they wont talk about - ThePrint - November 19th, 2021
- Britain's establishment has split into two, each convinced it is the underdog - The Economist - November 19th, 2021
- Meet the Liberal team running for Georges River Council - St George and Sutherland Shire Leader - November 19th, 2021
- Statement by Steven Del Duca on the 552nd Anniversary of the Birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji - Ontario Liberal Party - November 19th, 2021
- The Liberals. The shrinking tribe - The Spectator Australia - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives, NDP demand release of documents linked to 'troubling' claims Clerk of House favoured Liberals - CBC.ca - November 15th, 2021
- China Liberal Receives Recognition and Recommendation by Industry Experts for Its All-in-one Teaching Machine AI-Space - PRNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- What happened to woke: Liberal media blame Republicans for the term's downfall - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - Coast Reporter - November 15th, 2021
- Brad Wall: Nothing progressive about Liberal policies hiking the cost of living - National Post - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives more effective than liberals on Twitter: study | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis - Asahi Shimbun - November 15th, 2021
- Harvard To Begin To Offer 'Young Liberal Leaders' Scholarship Which Will Grant Up To $100000 In Tuition Reimbursement To Young Democrats - ValueWalk - November 15th, 2021
- Hockey backs former journalist and calls for a contested Liberal preselection in Willoughby - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- Federal Court dismisses bid to prevent reporting on alleged abuse of public resources - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- BC Liberal critic Kirkpatrick presses the NDP to stop the clawback of autism funding - Voiceonline.com - November 15th, 2021
- CNN commentators fume after CNN report on Kamala Harris office dysfunction: 'I had to push back heavily' - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Garden a focus of William Tyrrell probe - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Forbes evacuation order as flood threatens - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Single-use plastics to be banned in NSW - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- The wealthy pay more than their 'fair share' and liberals know it | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Emily Kaplan On The Rise of the Liberal Latter-day Saints - KUER 90.1 - November 13th, 2021
- Winsome Sears: The latest Black conservative to make liberals nervous | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Discredited anti-Trump Steele dossier was embraced by liberal media: Here are five of the biggest offenders - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Newsweek editor accuses White, affluent liberals of 'using the pain of African Americans' to further goals - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Brazil: Bolsonaro joins Liberal Party ahead of 2022 election - DW (English) - November 13th, 2021
- Opinion: F.W. de Klerk was neither a liberal nor a reformer. But he was a pragmatist - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Protesting Alleged Liberal Bias in Higher Ed, Scholars Announce a University of Their Own - EdSurge - November 13th, 2021
- Betsy DeVos: Liberal 'wokeness' will always 'rename, rebrand, or repackage' 'insidious ideas' such as critical race theory to keep them alive - Denver... - November 13th, 2021
- Opinion: That Liberal-NDP deal in full: the NDP agree not to do what they weren't going to do anyway - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal government vows to hire more staff to address veterans' backlog, caseloads - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Joe Concha: Only reason these liberal pundits have a job is to sow division in America - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Sen. Josh Hawley claims without evidence that liberals are attacking masculinity - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Drive On College Campuses Is Becoming A Routine Part Of Hiring, No Evidence That Intellectual Talent Improves -... - November 13th, 2021
- How a grocery store visit highlights voters' fears that Kevin Vuong could be a lame duck MP - CBC.ca - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal media fawns over SNL skit about Goober the Clown who had an abortion when she was 23 - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Liberals leaving nuclear's future 'to the market' while other countries bet big - National Post - November 13th, 2021
- Thats ideology: City of Sydney Liberal team take on Moore over bike paths - Sydney Morning Herald - November 13th, 2021
- Rex Murphy: Stephen Harper is right how Liberals are treating the West is inexcusable - National Post - November 13th, 2021
- Talkin' Truthful Trash With Liberals And Conservatives - The Chattanoogan - November 5th, 2021
- The Limits of Liberal Science - The Bulwark - November 5th, 2021
- On abortion, Germany is not as liberal as you may think - Euronews - November 5th, 2021
- Churchill: New York isn't as liberal as everyone thinks - Times Union - November 5th, 2021
- Opinion: Is carbon pricing Liberal policy? For the most part, it's anything but - The Globe and Mail - November 5th, 2021
- Liberal, Green leaders withdraw from COVID commitee as striking health-care workers forced back - Globalnews.ca - November 5th, 2021