Two of the three main political parties in the Niagara Falls riding now have their candidates set for the 2022 provincial election, while the other is closing in on selecting who will represent them in the June 2 vote.
On Thursday night, New Democrats chose incumbent MPP Wayne Gates to wave the orange banner. He has represented Niagara Falls, Fort Erie, and Niagara-on-the-Lake at Queens Park since 2014. Gates currently serves as the NDPs critic for Workplace Health and Safety, Training, Trades and Apprenticeships, and Auto Strategy.
Gates nominators included Burdett Sisler, a 106-year-old Second World War veteran living in Fort Erie.
Im very proud to represent the people of Niagara Falls, Niagara-on-the-Lake, and Fort Erie at Queens Park, and Im grateful for the trust families in the riding have placed in me, said Gates.
Niagara has seen some tough times over the past two years, and as we move forward and recover, well need to tackle the big challenges like affordability, getting our hospital built, and fixing long-term care so our parents and grandparents get the care they deserve. Under the tireless leadership of (Leader) Andrea Horwath, the NDP can form government in 2022 and invest in making Niagara an even better place to live.
Gates first won his seat in 2014 in a byelection after Liberal Kim Craitor resigned before the end of his term. In the byelection, Gates defeated Progressive Conservative runner-up Bart Maves by 1,025 votes. In the general election in June four months later, Gates defeated Maves again by almost 7,500 votes. Gates won the seat for the third time in 2018, defeating Tory candidate Chuck McShane by more than 9,000 votes.
Gates is a former Niagara Falls city councillor and served as a local union president for more than a decade.
Horwath said from the union hall to Queens Park, Gates has always fought to make the lives of working people better.
Wayne has been fighting, throughout the pandemic, to make sure the voices of workers, families and small businesses in Niagara Falls were heard loud and clear, she said.
In 2022, were going to work together to make life better for Niagara families. That means fixing our broken health and long-term care system, investing in public education, and making homes and the cost of living in Niagara more affordable.
In March, the Progressive Conservatives chose Niagara Falls regional Coun. Bob Gale as their candidate.
Gale is serving his second term on regional council. A businessperson, he also served as a Niagara Parks commissioner, when he came to political prominence during a battle to modernize some of the commissions procurement and board policies.
Meanwhile, the Liberals are scheduled to select their candidate Dec. 11.
There are two candidates vying to become the partys representative former Niagara-on-the-Lake town councillor Terry Flynn, and Ashley Waters of Niagara Falls.
Read the original here:
- Our Beliefs | Liberal Party of Australia - January 14th, 2022
- Our Plan | Liberal Party of Australia - January 14th, 2022
- Liberal USD 480 | Home - January 14th, 2022
- The Social-Liberal/Economic-Conservative Mirage Immigration Edition - Immigration Blog - January 14th, 2022
- Everything sucks here: Liberal parents are losing their minds over COVID-related school closures - Salon - January 14th, 2022
- Bill Maher spells out difference between liberals and woke liberals - New York Post - January 14th, 2022
- The liberal arts can counteract polarisation but there are caveats - Times Higher Education - January 14th, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Have suspicions of the liberal agenda? - The Winchester Star - January 14th, 2022
- Jeanine Pirro Named Co-host of The Five With Liberal Seat to Rotate Between Harold Ford Jr, Geraldo Rivera, and Jessica Tarlov - Business Wire - January 14th, 2022
- Conservative, liberal female figures weigh in on VP Harris report that her race and gender affect headlines - Fox News - January 14th, 2022
- Biden immigration promises after one year: Border chaos and frustrated liberals - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2022
- An outspoken Bath councillor has become the second to quit the Liberal Democrats this term amid allegations of bullying but the party say he is the... - January 14th, 2022
- Liberal Democrats in Harrogate and Knaresborough write to Andrew Jones MP calling for Boris Johnson to resign Harrogate Informer - Harrogate Informer - January 14th, 2022
- Ontario homeowner allowed to keep flying anti-Trudeau flag after town backs down - National Post - January 14th, 2022
- Liberalism, Realism and the Demise of National Values - Armenian Weekly - January 7th, 2022
- After Harry Reid's death, will the LDS Church ever see another liberal leader? - KUER 90.1 - January 7th, 2022
- Why Liberals Secretly Love Donald Trump - The National Interest - January 7th, 2022
- The liberal fantasy of the Capitol coup - UnHerd - January 7th, 2022
- Dining across the divide: I thought she was going to be an over-the-top liberal - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal fecklessness: The US is on a precipice and time is running out - Open Democracy - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal New York Magazine writer roasted for mocking conservative groups efforts to help stranded motorists - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal journalists shift on coronavirus as omicron variant surges: 'We don't orient our lives around the flu' - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- More 2021 Review, The Coup, and 2022 01/05 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - January 7th, 2022
- Liberals are really Indias fringe: What a new book on data says - The News Minute - January 7th, 2022
- Veer Savarkar, Hinduism, Hindutva and the liberal strawman arguments - OpIndia - January 7th, 2022
- Here are what COVID-19 restrictions are back in NSW - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- Japan imposes COVID curbs in three regions - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- England's Hameed at risk of record low - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- The Two-State Solution Is Deadand Liberal Zionists Can't Save It - Foreign Policy - December 31st, 2021
- Progressives have sacrificed liberalism - UnHerd - December 31st, 2021
- Her Grandfather Is a Conservative Icon. Her Comedy Is Liberal AF - Rolling Stone - December 31st, 2021
- Ontario Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca looks to claw his party back in next year's provincial election - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2021
- Biden still blameless on COVID in the eyes of our liberal media - Fox News - December 31st, 2021
- Opinion: In defense of the liberal arts - CT Post - December 31st, 2021
- Podcast! 2 first-year students explore the liberal arts benefits for a professor succeeding with an online enterprise - WCN (WestminsterCollege... - December 31st, 2021
- 2021 Year in Review: Highlights, Lowlights, and Lowlifes 12/29 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - December 31st, 2021
- Hundreds of homes burn in US wildfires - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Mike Tyson Australia ban went to the top - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- The images that defined 2021, by ACM photographers - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- New year but COVID pandemic continues - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Liberal, Kansas - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2021
- Conservatives and Liberals Are Wrong About Each Other - The Atlantic - December 27th, 2021
- Liberals should resolve to be more tolerant in 2022 our democracy depends on it - New York Post - December 27th, 2021
- Proposed regulation would ensure more liberal teachers, not better education - Washington Examiner - December 27th, 2021
- How Indian Liberalism Aided The Rise Of The Right OpEd - Eurasia Review - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal Zionism is collapsing into the Palestinian solidarity movement everywhere but Washington Beinart - Mondoweiss - December 27th, 2021
- Fred McKinney (opinion): Time for liberals to understand the truth about corporations - CT Post - December 27th, 2021
- Peace on Earth? Program shows how conservatives and liberals just might get along - The Advocate - December 27th, 2021
- Newspoll latest: Bitter blow for Prime Minister Scott Morison and the Liberal Party ahead of looming 2022 federal election - 7NEWS - December 27th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Times Colonist - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal senator Peter Poulos appointed to vacant parliamentary secretary role covering Wollonngong and the Illawarra - Illawarra Mercury - December 27th, 2021
- England won't turn on batters: Anderson - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- England show fight before another collapse - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- Conservative column too liberal with numbers | News, Sports, Jobs - Evening Observer - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark money' groups' revenue soared ahead of 2020 elections - Center for Responsive Politics - December 25th, 2021
- Bette Midler is the latest liberal to pretend to care about the 'average Joe' | TheHill - The Hill - December 25th, 2021
- Both political parties are a mix of conservative and liberal values | Education. Appreciation. Action. - Enumclaw Courier-Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Randy Boissonnault knows he must master a delicate balancing act as the Liberals' 'minister for all Albertans' - The Globe and Mail - December 25th, 2021
- Andrew Constance set to become Liberal party candidate in marginal Gilmore, after contenders withdraw - ABC News - December 25th, 2021
- The ultimate liberal hypocrisy: How the Left outrages over hate speech but turns a blind eye to hate crimes and violence - OpIndia - December 25th, 2021
- Where weve got women, we win: NSW Liberals aim to replicate local government success at federal level - Sydney Morning Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal MP Andrew Laming to be taken to court by electoral commission over Facebook page - The Guardian Australia - December 25th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Coast Reporter - December 25th, 2021
- NDP call on the Liberal government to uphold commitments on human rights - ndp.ca - December 25th, 2021
- The full text of the Queen's Xmas message - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- Omicron grounds hundreds of US flights - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- Tennis star COVID positive in Sydney - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- UT College of Liberal Arts: - December 19th, 2021
- Liberal pundits react to Manchin's 'no' on Build Back Better: 'A lot to process' - Fox News - December 19th, 2021
- The Law Schools With The Most Conservative And Liberal Students (2022) - Above the Law - December 19th, 2021
- Liberals disappointed after Biden's first year | TheHill - The Hill - December 19th, 2021
- Tories bet on Liberal to oversee Ontario Lottery and Gaming - Toronto Star - December 19th, 2021
- A Democratic socialist, the state's most liberal lawmaker: Meet the Texas progressives aiming for Congress - San Antonio Express-News - December 19th, 2021
- Dick Gottfried, Champion of Liberal Causes, to Retire After 52 Years - The New York Times - December 19th, 2021
- Liberal government gets all its priority legislation enacted before Christmas break - CTV News - December 19th, 2021
- Calls grow from Liberal, Tory MPs for federal intervention in Quebecs Bill 21 - Global News - December 19th, 2021
- Fiona Kotvojs named Liberal nominee for Bega with the by-election slated for early next year - ABC News - December 19th, 2021
- Omicron 'raging through the world': Fauci - Daily Liberal - December 19th, 2021
- Decision on whether to reintoduce dingoes to The Grampians imminent - Daily Liberal - December 19th, 2021
- The future of the Liberal Partywithout Justin Trudeau - Macleans.ca - December 7th, 2021