After one of the tightest races in the country,Taleeb Noormohamed has won the seat for the Liberal Party in the Vancouver Granville riding.
Projections for the riding had the NDP, Liberal and Conservative candidates in a near three-way tieover the past two weeks.As polls were counted, Noormohamed and NDP candidate Anjali Appadurai were at times just one or two votes apart.
Thirteen ridings in Canada were considered too close to call on election night, as Election Canada continued ballot counts through Tuesday and Wednesday.
Noormohamed was elected with 17,055 votes. Appaduraireceived 16,619, and Conservative candidate Kailin Che finished with 13,290.
The riding's last MP was Jody Wilson-Raybould, who won the seat as a Liberal in 2015 but was expelled from the Liberal caucus in the House of Commons in 2018 and stripped of the Liberal Party nomination for the 2019 election, following the SNC Lavalin affair. She won the seat for Vancouver Granville in 2019 as an Independent, beating Noormohamed, who took over as Liberal candidate for the riding in 2018.
She announced she would not be seeking re-election in July of this year.
Gabe Garfinkel, the B.C. campaign co-chair of the Liberal Party of Canada, said the win was part of the strong mandate British Columbianshad given to Justin Trudeau and the Liberals.
"Our entire team of Liberal MPs from the west coast will work to ensure that B.C. voices are at the heart of our work to build a better future for all Canadians," Garfinkel said in a statement.
Noormohamed served as a senior official in the federal government from 2002 to 2007. He thenwent on to work as an advisor to Bob Rae.
He was alsopart of the organizing committee for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
He eventuallyreturned to work in the tech sector, andheis currently the Chief Executive Officer foronline boutiquemarketplace Jane.
Noormohamed was criticized during the campaign for his real estate ventures he has flipped more than 20 properties after less than a year of ownership since 2005, which has raised questions about his commitment to the Liberal platform on housing.
According to B.C. assessment records, Noormohamed has sold 41 properties since 2005, making $4.9 million in the process.
The Liberal Party platform on housing proposes an "anti-flipping tax" on residential properties, requiring that such properties be held for at least a year. That would mean 21 properties Noormohamed sold would have been subject to the proposed tax.
- The future of the Liberal Partywithout Justin Trudeau - Macleans.ca - December 7th, 2021
- The loss of trust in politics in liberal democracies is damaging society - The Guardian - December 7th, 2021
- Liberal justices forfeited the 'legitimacy' they crave - Washington Examiner - December 7th, 2021
- Why you're wrong about Nashville, the liberal city making more than just music - Telegraph.co.uk - December 7th, 2021
- Liberal media helping Democrats steal more elections | Letters to the Editor | The Daily News - Galveston County Daily News - December 7th, 2021
- Dj vu 2021 election weakens Liberal hand in disputes with Parliament - The Globe and Mail - December 7th, 2021
- Charlamagne Tha God calls out liberal media for being 'quiet' on Bill Clinton's ties to Jeffrey Epstein - Fox News - December 7th, 2021
- Why liberals should not pick and choose outrages based on their whims and fancies - Firstpost - December 7th, 2021
- China Liberal Education Holdings Limited Reports Financial Results for the First Six Months of Fiscal Year 2021 - PRNewswire - December 7th, 2021
- Why are our roads so bad? Blame it on BBMP's liberal digging approvals - Deccan Herald - December 7th, 2021
- Liberal or Labor, News Corp will back the winning team - Independent Australia - December 7th, 2021
- Analysis: History made National a 'broad church' - can the party hold up in the MMP era? - Newshub - December 7th, 2021
- Capito, EPW Republicans Bill Would Prevent Liberal States from Misusing Section 401 to Deny Infrastructure Buildout - Shelley Moore Capito - December 7th, 2021
- The female independents vying for the seats of high-profile Liberal men at the next federal election - SBS - December 7th, 2021
- Why wouldnt the Liberals run a candidate with ICAC baggage - the ALP did - The Sydney Morning Herald - December 7th, 2021
- Liberal Party likely to win eight of 15 positions on Sutherland Shire Council - St George and Sutherland Shire Leader - December 7th, 2021
- Treasurer Measurer: exploding the Liberal election myth of superior economic managers - Michael West News - December 7th, 2021
- ICAC not a consideration as Liberals say Berejiklian shifts thinking on federal tilt - The Sydney Morning Herald - December 7th, 2021
- 8 times liberal media tried to ruin Thanksgiving, from ditching turkey to declaring genocide remains on menu - Fox News - November 28th, 2021
- Liberals introduce bill to provide sick pay, ban intimidation of patients and health-care workers - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal MP crosses the floor to support independent bill for federal integrity commission - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- A 20-year spike in inflation could put the bite on the Trudeau Liberals - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- John Rawls and Liberalism's Selective Conscience - The Nation - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal Party members running as independents, community candidates in local elections - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- No need for overdevelopment: Labor, Liberal councillors united in opposition to apartment towers - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Harassment on rise in federal bureaucracy - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Teen went to Byron bar before vanishing - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal dark money juggernaut raises $1.6 billion to flood left-wing groups with cash, tax forms reveal - Fox News - November 27th, 2021
- Justin Trudeau and Liberals inaugurate third term in officeausterity and mass infection at home, militarism and war abroad - WSWS - November 27th, 2021
- John Ivison: Liberals so focused on carbon taxes, they missed the flood coming in the back door - National Post - November 27th, 2021
- Liberal support is disintegrating but barely going to Hanson, Palmer or the LDP - The Spectator Australia - November 27th, 2021
- How Scott Morrison is trashing the Liberal brand - The Canberra Times - November 27th, 2021
- Man pranks conservative radio show by naming a ton of punk bands in his liberal bash - Boing Boing - November 27th, 2021
- NDP, Progressive Conservatives have provincial candidates for Niagara Falls; Liberal candidate to be announced soon - NiagaraFallsReview.ca - November 27th, 2021
- Careers - Liberal Party of Canada - November 25th, 2021
- Is the honeymoon period over for liberal arts in Asia? - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 25th, 2021
- Morrison accuses critics of wanting kangaroo court as Liberal MP crosses floor over integrity bill - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal economists got the memo: Build Back Better couldn't possibly worsen inflation | TheHill - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- Early signs of Liberal leadership ambitions as Chrystia Freeland biography in works - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Its a bad culture: former Liberal treasurer calls for $200 cap on political donations to boost integrity - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Justice minister urges new 'liberal' Constitution in Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - November 25th, 2021
- Politics Briefing: Erin O'Toole takes shot at Liberals, avoids internal party issues in caucus speech - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Bengal violence to farm protests: How liberal privilege shapes the way we think about what matters - Firstpost - November 25th, 2021
- Northern Ontario Liberal Anthony Rota re-elected as Speaker of the House of Commons - Globalnews.ca - November 25th, 2021
- Five years of struggle: Liberal backbencher warns national mental health will take time - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal storm over candidates to take on Steggall, Kelly in NSW seats - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Opinion | Woke Went the Way of P.C. and Liberal - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark-money' behemoth funneled more than $400M in 2020 - Politico - November 19th, 2021
- Former Liberal leader to join forces with Labor veteran in bid to target Morrison ahead of election - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- The intellectual rights war on Americas institutions - Vox - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals push to speed up NSW preselections amid frustration at tactics of key Scott Morrison ally - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals to introduce tougher version of bill to ban conversion therapy - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- Michelle Beckley, one of the Texas Houses most liberal members, joins Democratic primary for lieutenant governor - KPRC Click2Houston - November 19th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- The India that Vir Das and liberals want and the one they wont talk about - ThePrint - November 19th, 2021
- Britain's establishment has split into two, each convinced it is the underdog - The Economist - November 19th, 2021
- Meet the Liberal team running for Georges River Council - St George and Sutherland Shire Leader - November 19th, 2021
- Statement by Steven Del Duca on the 552nd Anniversary of the Birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji - Ontario Liberal Party - November 19th, 2021
- The Liberals. The shrinking tribe - The Spectator Australia - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives, NDP demand release of documents linked to 'troubling' claims Clerk of House favoured Liberals - CBC.ca - November 15th, 2021
- China Liberal Receives Recognition and Recommendation by Industry Experts for Its All-in-one Teaching Machine AI-Space - PRNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- What happened to woke: Liberal media blame Republicans for the term's downfall - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - Coast Reporter - November 15th, 2021
- Brad Wall: Nothing progressive about Liberal policies hiking the cost of living - National Post - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives more effective than liberals on Twitter: study | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis - Asahi Shimbun - November 15th, 2021
- Harvard To Begin To Offer 'Young Liberal Leaders' Scholarship Which Will Grant Up To $100000 In Tuition Reimbursement To Young Democrats - ValueWalk - November 15th, 2021
- Hockey backs former journalist and calls for a contested Liberal preselection in Willoughby - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- Federal Court dismisses bid to prevent reporting on alleged abuse of public resources - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- BC Liberal critic Kirkpatrick presses the NDP to stop the clawback of autism funding - Voiceonline.com - November 15th, 2021
- CNN commentators fume after CNN report on Kamala Harris office dysfunction: 'I had to push back heavily' - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Garden a focus of William Tyrrell probe - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Forbes evacuation order as flood threatens - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Single-use plastics to be banned in NSW - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- The wealthy pay more than their 'fair share' and liberals know it | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Emily Kaplan On The Rise of the Liberal Latter-day Saints - KUER 90.1 - November 13th, 2021
- Winsome Sears: The latest Black conservative to make liberals nervous | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Discredited anti-Trump Steele dossier was embraced by liberal media: Here are five of the biggest offenders - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Newsweek editor accuses White, affluent liberals of 'using the pain of African Americans' to further goals - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Brazil: Bolsonaro joins Liberal Party ahead of 2022 election - DW (English) - November 13th, 2021
- Opinion: F.W. de Klerk was neither a liberal nor a reformer. But he was a pragmatist - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021