The Australian Electoral Commission has launched legal action against Liberal MP Andrew Laming for allegedly failing to disclose his political links on a Facebook page which appeared to be operating under the guise of a grassroots community group.
The federal court proceedings come after Guardian Australia revealed in April that the Queensland MP was operating 35 Facebook groups with at least one for each suburb in his electorate.
The AEC is launching action based on just one of the 35 sites, which was called Redland Hospital: Lets fight for fair funding, set up by Laming ahead of the last federal election to campaign against Labor.
It is the first time the AECs authorisation requirements for social media will be tested in court after disclosure laws were updated following the 2016 election to explicitly include social media posts.
According to the AEC website, the penalty for a breach by an individual can be a fine of up to $26,640.
In a statement, the AEC said it had instituted federal court proceedings against Laming alleging he failed to authorise Facebook posts leading up to the 2019 Federal Election.
The AEC alleges that Dr Laming published unauthorised electoral matter in the form of a Facebook page, Redland Hospital: Lets fight for fair funding and that this contravened the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918 requirement that material promoting one candidate or political party over another comply with the authorisation requirements of the Act.
The AEC will not be making any further comment as this matter is now before the Court.
According to the Australian Electoral Commission, political authorisation is required for information that is a matter communicated, or intended to be communicated, for the dominant purpose of influencing the way electors vote in a federal election.
This includes, but is not limited to, a communication that expressly promotes or opposes a candidate, political party, member or senator.
Laming, who holds the bayside seat of Bowman, will not contest the next election after a series of controversies earlier in the year led to him losing preselection in April.
In October, Laming withdrew his apology to two Brisbane women over online comments that he previously acknowledged caused significant distress saying he did not believe the women were genuinely upset.
He was ordered by the prime minister, Scott Morrison, into empathy training in March before returning from personal leave, blaming a diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder for his behaviour.
Despite some MPs within the Coalition wanting stronger action taken against Laming for the complaints made about his behaviour and the Facebook pages, Morrison has defended the outgoing MP.
In May, Morrison said that Laming had formed a view since [March] that the issues that were the subject of complaints made against him have now altered and there have been new facts that have come forward.
Morrison highlighted the many good things Laming had done as a member of the government, saying he [expects] him to keep working hard for his electorate all the way to the next election.
Laming said in a statement: I respect the AEC decision and I will assist them to resolve the matter by conciliation.
Laming claimed that he was being investigated for five posts which amount to just 2% of the page posts, with an average reach of six people.
The entire page is less than 1% of the reach of my AEC-authorised pages, he said.
The statement said he had consistently acknowledged he has multiple community Facebook pages in order to better tailor information relevant to those communities.
These community pages were in full operation when requirements were tightened for social media authorisation. My office was confident at the time that we were complying by avoiding federal electoral matter.
Where there was perceived doubt at the time, individual posts on this page were correctly authorised. I do not dispute the AEC view that the page did in-effect promote me and was critical of another political party, and for those reasons, page authorisation should have occurred and for that I apologise.
- Where Have All the Liberals Gone? - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Liberals Should Be Worried About the Conservative Comedy Scene - POLITICO - May 15th, 2022
- Bill Maher Laments About A Liberal World That Seems To Be Going Mad In Real Time Takes - Deadline - May 15th, 2022
- The Looming End to Abortion Rights Gives Liberal Democrats a Spark - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Ontario Liberals accuse PCs of favouring own party in government appointments - Global News - May 15th, 2022
- GUNTER: Yet more Liberal falsehoods surrounding the convoy have been debunked - Toronto Sun - May 15th, 2022
- Danger for the Liberal Party coming from the right as well as the teals - Sydney Morning Herald - May 15th, 2022
- What Labor and Liberal Facebook ad spend tells us about where the election campaign is heading - ABC News - May 15th, 2022
- Lib Dems already campaigning for Tiverton and Honiton byelection - The Guardian - May 15th, 2022
- Is AARP too liberal? That's what its right-leaning rivals say - Newsday - May 15th, 2022
- Can Doug Fords nephew topple the NDP incumbent in a Liberal riding? - Toronto Star - May 15th, 2022
- Utting Research Perth seat polls and Liberal Party briefing wars The Poll Bludger - The Poll Bludger - May 15th, 2022
- Liberal Party unveils one weird political ad to rule them all - Mumbrella - May 15th, 2022
- Scottish Water condemned by Liberal Democrats for bonuses as sewage is released into rivers - STV News - May 15th, 2022
- Liberal Party 'warms up' with final countdown underway - The Transcontinental - May 15th, 2022
- Abortion leak: Is the Supreme Court conservative or liberal? | Opinion - Deseret News - May 15th, 2022
- Will Orban Be Remembered as a Liberal? - The American Conservative - May 11th, 2022
- Francis Fukuyama Predicted the End of History. Its Back (Again). - The New York Times - May 11th, 2022
- Better med care, more say over immigration among Liberal promises to northern Ontario - Sudbury.com - May 11th, 2022
- Abortion laws in Colombia are now among the most liberal in the Americas : Goats and Soda - NPR - May 11th, 2022
- Former Australian of the Year says Liberal MP Fiona Martin selectively quoted him in political endorsement without his knowledge - ABC News - May 11th, 2022
- College Students Shouldnt Have To Choose Between Career Skills And Liberal Arts - Chief Executive - May 11th, 2022
- Globe editorial: The Liberals are eager to talk about regulating speech online but wisely reluctant to actually do it - The Globe and Mail - May 11th, 2022
- GUNTER: The Liberals have sneakily brought back the gun registry - Toronto Sun - May 11th, 2022
- Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke Liberals announce Oliver Jacob as their 2022 provincial candidate - Pembroke Observer - May 11th, 2022
- Frydenberg: if he loses, the Liberal Party would be changed dramatically - Crikey - May 11th, 2022
- Jesse Watters: Liberal protests at homes of Supreme Court justices are just a warning shot - Fox News - May 11th, 2022
- Federal Labor and Liberal parties pledge additional funding for CIT accommodation, Canberra's Home of Football - ABC News - May 11th, 2022
- The White Card review the liberal art worlds blindness to privilege - The Guardian - May 11th, 2022
- Liberal MP doubles down on comments that raped women should be denied abortions - The Age - May 11th, 2022
- UPES School of Liberal Studies Wants Students To Be Critical Thinkers - The Quint - May 11th, 2022
- CU Denver - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences - May 3rd, 2022
- Roe v. Wade and an End to the Liberal Romance With Courts - New York Magazine - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal dark money group with Biden admin ties capitalizes on SCOTUS leak to push court-packing agenda - Fox News - May 3rd, 2022
- I was deputy leader of the Liberals. The party I served has lost its way - Sydney Morning Herald - May 3rd, 2022
- Red stock, blue stock --- MAGA Republicans and liberal Democrats are taking their politics to Wall Street - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2022
- There are pros and cons to the Liberal plan for $1 transit fares, experts say - CBC.ca - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal and Elkhart Baseball Split on Wind Blown Day - KSCB News.net - May 3rd, 2022
- Why teal independents are seeking Liberal voters and spooking Liberal MPs - The Conversation - May 3rd, 2022
- N.S. Liberal Party recovered $195K related to internal theft - CBC.ca - May 3rd, 2022
- Kevin Falcon eyes Liberal party renewal with his seat in the house secured - Vancouver Sun - May 3rd, 2022
- Council elections in Scotland: What are the Liberal Democrats for? Alex Cole-Hamilton MSP - Edinburgh News - May 3rd, 2022
- FIRST READING: Liberal voices starting to warn Pierre Poilievre could be their undoing - National Post - May 3rd, 2022
- Will the standard Liberal tactics of accusing Conservatives of being pro-gun and anti-abortion work on Pierre Poilievre? - The Globe and Mail - May 3rd, 2022
- FIRST READING: Another Liberal gun policy that neatly ignores where the guns come from - National Post - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal Protestants and the Polarization of the US - Religion & Politics - April 20th, 2022
- Preregistration is the Enemy of Liberal Education | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - April 20th, 2022
- Rachel Williams named dean of the Division of Liberal Arts at UNCSA - UNCSA - UNCSA - April 20th, 2022
- The Liberal Party wants us to 'look at the facts'. But just whose facts? - Crikey - April 20th, 2022
- Ari Fleischer writes new book on why the liberal media keeps getting the news wrong - Fox News - April 20th, 2022
- Do No Harm aims to keep liberal ideology out of healthcare: Physicians are being pushed to discriminate - Fox News - April 20th, 2022
- Josh Frydenberg could be the next Liberal Party leader. So who is he? - The New Daily - April 20th, 2022
- What the Liberal Democrats plan to do for Cardiff if they get into power - Wales Online - April 20th, 2022
- Why the Liberals face a fight for survival in battleground WA - WAtoday - April 20th, 2022
- The rise of the liberal groomer - UnHerd - April 15th, 2022
- Scott Jennings: Is Andy Beshear becoming a liberal culture warrior taking on trans rights? - Courier Journal - April 15th, 2022
- Justin Trudeau's Liberals Are Returning to the Miserable Status Quo - Jacobin magazine - April 15th, 2022
- France's liberal base is aging fast. Macron now needs to win over angry younger voters - CNBC - April 15th, 2022
- The liberal arts core makes SU students multifaceted. It should be expanded. - The Daily Orange - April 15th, 2022
- Green groundswell in Boothby could end 70-year Liberal run - The Australian Financial Review - April 15th, 2022
- When will Fauci and liberal leaders apologize for the millions of lives damaged with pointless COVID restrictions? - New York Post - April 15th, 2022
- Pike Liberal Arts School officially joins the AHSAA - The Troy Messenger - Troy Messenger - April 15th, 2022
- Float it and see: Outgoing Liberal calls for imperfect federal integrity commission - Sydney Morning Herald - April 15th, 2022
- Matthew Camenzuli ordered to pay costs in legal battle over NSW Liberal preselections - ABC News - April 15th, 2022
- Opportunistic hustle: Liberals, Labor accused of data harvesting with mailed-out postal vote registration forms - The New Daily - April 15th, 2022
- Southampton Green Party and Liberal Democrats unite ahead of election - Southern Daily Echo - April 15th, 2022
- Record number of NSW Liberal members quit amid war over preselections - Sydney Morning Herald - April 15th, 2022
- Liberal MP says shes being targeted by conservatives, urges end to infighting - Sydney Morning Herald - April 15th, 2022
- A Country of Their Own: Liberalism Needs the Nation - Foreign Affairs Magazine - April 2nd, 2022
- NP View: The Liberal plan to smother the energy industry - National Post - April 2nd, 2022
- Pike Liberal Arts and LBW host welding expo - The Troy Messenger - Troy Messenger - April 2nd, 2022
- How Tony Abbott Went Rogue and Helped Blow Up NSWs Liberal Party - VICE - April 2nd, 2022
- How Liberalism Ruined Sex And Degraded Women - The Federalist - April 2nd, 2022
- Putins brutal attack on Ukraine has helped revive the West, but the homegrown threats to liberal democracy fester under a veneer of solidarity -... - April 2nd, 2022
- Liberal Democrats' election promise of cash for Aberdeen road and schools - The Press & Journal - April 2nd, 2022
- Students explore liberal arts with Exploring Transfer Program The Miscellany News - Miscellany News - April 2nd, 2022
- Debt Clock rolls into Ottawa to 'sound the alarm' on Liberal spending - Western Standard - April 2nd, 2022
- Evening Standard Comment: Vladimir Putins invasion is an assault on liberal values - Evening Standard - April 2nd, 2022
- What the Liberal-NDP co-operation pact could mean for tax changes in the budget - The Globe and Mail - April 2nd, 2022
- SATIRE | Penn State to remove College of the Liberal Arts - The Daily Collegian Online - April 2nd, 2022