Liberal activist groups are pledging to fight Sen. Kyrsten Sinemas reelection bid if she does not capitulate on the filibuster.
No less than eight groups say they will sever ties to Ms. Sinema, Arizona Democrat, unless she votes to scrap the filibuster to pass President Bidens rewrite of the nations election laws. Some of the groups, including the League of Conservation Voters and End Citizens United, made the ultimatum in a letter to Ms. Sinema.
Our organizations have made the decision to only consider endorsements for senators in their next election who take all necessary measures to pass the key voting rights and pro-democracy reform provisions, they wrote in the Wednesday letter. Vocally supporting the right to vote without being fully committed to passing critical legislation into law will be insufficient to receive the endorsement of our organizations.
Others promising political retribution against Ms. Sinema are NARAL Pro-Choice America and EMILYs List, two of the countrys largest pro-choice groups. Emilys List, which is dedicated to electing pro-choice women to office, also argued that protecting abortion was impossible as long as the filibuster remained in place.
Electing Democratic pro-choice women is not possible without free and fair elections, a spokesman for Emilys List said in a statement.
Groups like EMILYs List and League of Conservation Voters heavily underwrote Ms. Sinemas 2018 Senate campaign. That cycle, EMILYs List spent more than $3.7 million to elect Ms. Sinema, while the League spent about $1.7 million.
The money likely made a significant impact in the race, which Ms. Sinema only won by roughly 55,000 votes.
Still, Ms. Sinema was unfazed by the intimidation tactics.
While the Senates 60-vote threshold to end debate on legislation has been used repeatedly to protect against wild swings in federal policy, including in the area of protecting womens health care, I said on the Senate floor last week that different people of good faith can have honest disagreements about policy and strategy, she said.
She is not up for reelection until 2024.
The threats come as Senate Democrats are poised to take a likely doomed vote on a proposal by Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer to remake the filibuster, a longstanding rule that requires 60 votes for most bills to survive in the 100-member chamber.
Mr. Schumer, New York Democrat, wants lawmakers to mount an old-fashioned talking filibuster when opposing a bill.
Currently, lawmakers are allowed to merely object to ending debate, forcing leaders to round up the 60 votes to keep the legislation alive. Under Mr. Schumers proposal, senators would have to speak continuously in objection to a piece of legislation. Once the speechmaking is exhausted, the legislation would be eligible to pass with a simple majority vote.
The American people deserve to see their senators go on record, said Mr. Schumer. Indeed, that may be the only way to make progress on this issue for now: for the public to see where each of us in this chamber stands.
Ms. Sinema is expected to oppose the change to the chagrin of liberal groups. While she has expressed support for the White Houses voting legislation, she said it should not come at the expense of the filibuster.
Eliminating the 60-vote threshold will simply guarantee that we lose a critical tool that we need to safeguard our democracy, Ms. Sinema said. I will not support separate actions that worsen the underlying disease of division infecting our country.
Since any change to the filibuster requires the support of all 50 Senate Democrats, Ms. Sinemas opposition all but kills the idea.
Progressives are promising to make the decision politically painful.
If Sen. Sinema can not support a path forward for the passage of this legislation, we believe she undermines the foundations of our democracy, her own path to victory and also the mission of EMILYs List, and we will be unable to endorse her moving forward, the group said.
Go here to see the original:
- Delaware shows the War on Drugs lives on in liberal enclaves - Brookings Institution - May 25th, 2022
- The Liberal Obsession With 'Disinformation' Is Not Helping - New York Magazine - May 25th, 2022
- It's not 'bias' liberal media are telling the truth, pointedly - The Boston Globe - May 25th, 2022
- Abandoning classical liberalism turns the heartland teal - The Australian Financial Review - May 25th, 2022
- Geoff Russ: The Liberal Canada loved by the boomers keeping Trudeau in power won't last - National Post - May 25th, 2022
- Labor says Peter Dutton taking reins of Liberal Party shows Coalition 'learned absolutely nothing' from federal election - ABC News - May 25th, 2022
- Liberals discussed dumping Morrison in Coalitions final months - Sydney Morning Herald - May 25th, 2022
- DAVID JOHNSON: Treason and the Liberal-NDP agreement - Saltwire - May 25th, 2022
- Regional Queensland voted for the Liberal National Party. What do they make of the Labor government and 'greenslide'? - ABC News - May 25th, 2022
- Conrad Black: Poilievre has a real chance to break the Liberal status quo and that has his enemies trembling - National Post - May 25th, 2022
- Angus Taylor says Liberal Party must focus on core values after federal election loss - ABC News - May 25th, 2022
- Liberals are too focused on themselves, says Constance, as Gilmore hangs in balance - Sydney Morning Herald - May 25th, 2022
- Where Have All the Liberals Gone? - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Liberals Should Be Worried About the Conservative Comedy Scene - POLITICO - May 15th, 2022
- Bill Maher Laments About A Liberal World That Seems To Be Going Mad In Real Time Takes - Deadline - May 15th, 2022
- The Looming End to Abortion Rights Gives Liberal Democrats a Spark - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Ontario Liberals accuse PCs of favouring own party in government appointments - Global News - May 15th, 2022
- GUNTER: Yet more Liberal falsehoods surrounding the convoy have been debunked - Toronto Sun - May 15th, 2022
- Danger for the Liberal Party coming from the right as well as the teals - Sydney Morning Herald - May 15th, 2022
- What Labor and Liberal Facebook ad spend tells us about where the election campaign is heading - ABC News - May 15th, 2022
- Lib Dems already campaigning for Tiverton and Honiton byelection - The Guardian - May 15th, 2022
- Is AARP too liberal? That's what its right-leaning rivals say - Newsday - May 15th, 2022
- Can Doug Fords nephew topple the NDP incumbent in a Liberal riding? - Toronto Star - May 15th, 2022
- Utting Research Perth seat polls and Liberal Party briefing wars The Poll Bludger - The Poll Bludger - May 15th, 2022
- Liberal Party unveils one weird political ad to rule them all - Mumbrella - May 15th, 2022
- Scottish Water condemned by Liberal Democrats for bonuses as sewage is released into rivers - STV News - May 15th, 2022
- Liberal Party 'warms up' with final countdown underway - The Transcontinental - May 15th, 2022
- Abortion leak: Is the Supreme Court conservative or liberal? | Opinion - Deseret News - May 15th, 2022
- Will Orban Be Remembered as a Liberal? - The American Conservative - May 11th, 2022
- Francis Fukuyama Predicted the End of History. Its Back (Again). - The New York Times - May 11th, 2022
- Better med care, more say over immigration among Liberal promises to northern Ontario - Sudbury.com - May 11th, 2022
- Abortion laws in Colombia are now among the most liberal in the Americas : Goats and Soda - NPR - May 11th, 2022
- Former Australian of the Year says Liberal MP Fiona Martin selectively quoted him in political endorsement without his knowledge - ABC News - May 11th, 2022
- College Students Shouldnt Have To Choose Between Career Skills And Liberal Arts - Chief Executive - May 11th, 2022
- Globe editorial: The Liberals are eager to talk about regulating speech online but wisely reluctant to actually do it - The Globe and Mail - May 11th, 2022
- GUNTER: The Liberals have sneakily brought back the gun registry - Toronto Sun - May 11th, 2022
- Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke Liberals announce Oliver Jacob as their 2022 provincial candidate - Pembroke Observer - May 11th, 2022
- Frydenberg: if he loses, the Liberal Party would be changed dramatically - Crikey - May 11th, 2022
- Jesse Watters: Liberal protests at homes of Supreme Court justices are just a warning shot - Fox News - May 11th, 2022
- Federal Labor and Liberal parties pledge additional funding for CIT accommodation, Canberra's Home of Football - ABC News - May 11th, 2022
- The White Card review the liberal art worlds blindness to privilege - The Guardian - May 11th, 2022
- Liberal MP doubles down on comments that raped women should be denied abortions - The Age - May 11th, 2022
- UPES School of Liberal Studies Wants Students To Be Critical Thinkers - The Quint - May 11th, 2022
- CU Denver - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences - May 3rd, 2022
- Roe v. Wade and an End to the Liberal Romance With Courts - New York Magazine - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal dark money group with Biden admin ties capitalizes on SCOTUS leak to push court-packing agenda - Fox News - May 3rd, 2022
- I was deputy leader of the Liberals. The party I served has lost its way - Sydney Morning Herald - May 3rd, 2022
- Red stock, blue stock --- MAGA Republicans and liberal Democrats are taking their politics to Wall Street - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2022
- There are pros and cons to the Liberal plan for $1 transit fares, experts say - CBC.ca - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal and Elkhart Baseball Split on Wind Blown Day - KSCB News.net - May 3rd, 2022
- Why teal independents are seeking Liberal voters and spooking Liberal MPs - The Conversation - May 3rd, 2022
- N.S. Liberal Party recovered $195K related to internal theft - CBC.ca - May 3rd, 2022
- Kevin Falcon eyes Liberal party renewal with his seat in the house secured - Vancouver Sun - May 3rd, 2022
- Council elections in Scotland: What are the Liberal Democrats for? Alex Cole-Hamilton MSP - Edinburgh News - May 3rd, 2022
- FIRST READING: Liberal voices starting to warn Pierre Poilievre could be their undoing - National Post - May 3rd, 2022
- Will the standard Liberal tactics of accusing Conservatives of being pro-gun and anti-abortion work on Pierre Poilievre? - The Globe and Mail - May 3rd, 2022
- FIRST READING: Another Liberal gun policy that neatly ignores where the guns come from - National Post - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal Protestants and the Polarization of the US - Religion & Politics - April 20th, 2022
- Preregistration is the Enemy of Liberal Education | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - April 20th, 2022
- Rachel Williams named dean of the Division of Liberal Arts at UNCSA - UNCSA - UNCSA - April 20th, 2022
- The Liberal Party wants us to 'look at the facts'. But just whose facts? - Crikey - April 20th, 2022
- Ari Fleischer writes new book on why the liberal media keeps getting the news wrong - Fox News - April 20th, 2022
- Do No Harm aims to keep liberal ideology out of healthcare: Physicians are being pushed to discriminate - Fox News - April 20th, 2022
- Josh Frydenberg could be the next Liberal Party leader. So who is he? - The New Daily - April 20th, 2022
- What the Liberal Democrats plan to do for Cardiff if they get into power - Wales Online - April 20th, 2022
- Why the Liberals face a fight for survival in battleground WA - WAtoday - April 20th, 2022
- The rise of the liberal groomer - UnHerd - April 15th, 2022
- Scott Jennings: Is Andy Beshear becoming a liberal culture warrior taking on trans rights? - Courier Journal - April 15th, 2022
- Justin Trudeau's Liberals Are Returning to the Miserable Status Quo - Jacobin magazine - April 15th, 2022
- France's liberal base is aging fast. Macron now needs to win over angry younger voters - CNBC - April 15th, 2022
- The liberal arts core makes SU students multifaceted. It should be expanded. - The Daily Orange - April 15th, 2022
- Green groundswell in Boothby could end 70-year Liberal run - The Australian Financial Review - April 15th, 2022
- When will Fauci and liberal leaders apologize for the millions of lives damaged with pointless COVID restrictions? - New York Post - April 15th, 2022
- Pike Liberal Arts School officially joins the AHSAA - The Troy Messenger - Troy Messenger - April 15th, 2022
- Float it and see: Outgoing Liberal calls for imperfect federal integrity commission - Sydney Morning Herald - April 15th, 2022
- Matthew Camenzuli ordered to pay costs in legal battle over NSW Liberal preselections - ABC News - April 15th, 2022
- Opportunistic hustle: Liberals, Labor accused of data harvesting with mailed-out postal vote registration forms - The New Daily - April 15th, 2022
- Southampton Green Party and Liberal Democrats unite ahead of election - Southern Daily Echo - April 15th, 2022
- Record number of NSW Liberal members quit amid war over preselections - Sydney Morning Herald - April 15th, 2022
- Liberal MP says shes being targeted by conservatives, urges end to infighting - Sydney Morning Herald - April 15th, 2022