The Schuler Education Foundation recently doled out tens of millions of dollars to a handful of liberal arts colleges to expand access for underserved students at their institutions. The money comes as a challenge grant, which will require the institutions to raise matching funds over a period of years to double the investment.
The 20-year-old foundation has long focused on supporting liberal arts students, said Jason Patenaude, executive director and chief operating officer at Schuler. Now, its supporting the colleges that educate them.
We realized a few years ago that we could also move up the value chain a little bit and support these schools directly, Patenaude said. Because if we want to make sure that students get the opportunity to experience this great education, you need to make sure that those colleges are financially stable, and that they have the seats available for low-income or undocumented students so that these students can attend.
Five institutions -- Bates College, Carleton College, Kenyon College, Tufts University and Union College -- have received grants via the foundations Schuler Access Initiative. Eventually, the foundation hopes to distribute $500million to as many as 25 liberal arts colleges to recruit and enroll more undocumented and Pell Grant-eligible students.
Letters to the EditorA reader has submitteda response to this article.You canview the letter here,and find all our Letters tothe Editorhere.
All five institutions are predominantly white and located in the Midwest and Northeast.
Pell Grant eligibility is often used as a proxy for low-income status. The percentage of first-time undergraduate students that receive Pell Grants at each institution currently ranges from 9percent at Kenyon and Bates to 16percent at Union, recent data from the National Center for Education Statistics showed.
The foundation selected the first five institutions because they showed a history of supporting low-income students, according to Patenaude.
We wanted to work with schools that we felt had shown a real commitment to supporting low-income and undocumented students but had maybe not had the resources to accept as many as they wanted to just because they couldnt afford to, he said.
This is the case at Union, a private college in Schenectady, N.Y., that is set to receive $20million from the foundation, the college announced Tuesday. The college aims to raise another $20million over the next five years to meet the foundations matching grant, for a total investment of $40million.
Union is one of fewer than 100 schools that meets full demonstrated need, said David Harris, president of the college. That means that we get to a point where we just dont have more financial aid money, and so we cant admit exceptional students who need financial aid.
The college has already raised about $3million and received lots of interest from board members and other donors, Harris said.
Union enrolls about 2,000 undergraduate students, including about 75 Pell Grant-eligible students in each class, according to a college press release. During the 2022-23 and 2023-24 academic years, the Schuler investment will allow the college to increase that total by nine students each year. In subsequent years, the college will add 10 Pell Grant-eligible students.
The initiative is particularly exciting for Harris, who received a Pell Grant when he attended college.
I know firsthand what its like to think, Can I attend this school? Can I afford it? And then to see that -- thanks to the generosity of others and the government as well -- I actually can, Harris said. I've been excited to be able to extend that opportunity to others.
Bates, a private college in Lewiston, Me., received a $50million challenge grant from the foundation, tasking the institution with raising an additional $50million for a total $100million investment. The college had already raised $30million in pledges and matching gifts prior to the public announcement Tuesday.
The college hopes to increase the number of students who are Pell Grant eligible, undocumented and low income by 50percent over the next decade.
Bates enrolls about 1,870 undergraduate students. During the 2019-20 academic year, 47 first-year students received Pell Grants, according to NCES data.
This is a game changer for Bates, Clayton Spencer, president of Bates, said in a statement. Bates was founded by people who believed in the power of education to develop the full potential of every human being. This extraordinary investment from the Schuler Education Foundation, combined with the generosity of Bates donors, provides us with the means to renew this founding vision in a very real and tangible way. I am thrilled that we will be able to make the life-transforming experience of the liberal arts available to even greater numbers of talented students who might otherwise not have this opportunity.
Carleton, a private college in Northfield, Minn., will receive a $50million matching grant, a college spokesperson said Tuesday. If the college raises enough to match the grant, the endowed fund will total $100million. (This paragraph has been updated to state that Carleton could receive $50 million from the foundation.)
The Schuler Education Foundation is still deciding which liberal arts colleges will be included for the next round of grants, Patenaude said. College officials at interested institutions can reach out to the foundation for consideration.
The colleges that we work with are going to get a tremendous amount of value from increasing the representation at their schools for underrepresented students, for low-income students and for undocumented students, Patenaude said. We want that benefit to happen as quickly as possible.
The rest is here:
- 8 times liberal media tried to ruin Thanksgiving, from ditching turkey to declaring genocide remains on menu - Fox News - November 28th, 2021
- Liberals introduce bill to provide sick pay, ban intimidation of patients and health-care workers - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal MP crosses the floor to support independent bill for federal integrity commission - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- A 20-year spike in inflation could put the bite on the Trudeau Liberals - CBC.ca - November 28th, 2021
- John Rawls and Liberalism's Selective Conscience - The Nation - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal Party members running as independents, community candidates in local elections - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- No need for overdevelopment: Labor, Liberal councillors united in opposition to apartment towers - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Harassment on rise in federal bureaucracy - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Teen went to Byron bar before vanishing - Daily Liberal - November 28th, 2021
- Liberal dark money juggernaut raises $1.6 billion to flood left-wing groups with cash, tax forms reveal - Fox News - November 27th, 2021
- Justin Trudeau and Liberals inaugurate third term in officeausterity and mass infection at home, militarism and war abroad - WSWS - November 27th, 2021
- John Ivison: Liberals so focused on carbon taxes, they missed the flood coming in the back door - National Post - November 27th, 2021
- Liberal support is disintegrating but barely going to Hanson, Palmer or the LDP - The Spectator Australia - November 27th, 2021
- How Scott Morrison is trashing the Liberal brand - The Canberra Times - November 27th, 2021
- Man pranks conservative radio show by naming a ton of punk bands in his liberal bash - Boing Boing - November 27th, 2021
- NDP, Progressive Conservatives have provincial candidates for Niagara Falls; Liberal candidate to be announced soon - NiagaraFallsReview.ca - November 27th, 2021
- Careers - Liberal Party of Canada - November 25th, 2021
- Is the honeymoon period over for liberal arts in Asia? - Times Higher Education (THE) - November 25th, 2021
- Morrison accuses critics of wanting kangaroo court as Liberal MP crosses floor over integrity bill - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal economists got the memo: Build Back Better couldn't possibly worsen inflation | TheHill - The Hill - November 25th, 2021
- Early signs of Liberal leadership ambitions as Chrystia Freeland biography in works - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Its a bad culture: former Liberal treasurer calls for $200 cap on political donations to boost integrity - The Guardian - November 25th, 2021
- Justice minister urges new 'liberal' Constitution in Turkey | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - November 25th, 2021
- Politics Briefing: Erin O'Toole takes shot at Liberals, avoids internal party issues in caucus speech - The Globe and Mail - November 25th, 2021
- Bengal violence to farm protests: How liberal privilege shapes the way we think about what matters - Firstpost - November 25th, 2021
- Northern Ontario Liberal Anthony Rota re-elected as Speaker of the House of Commons - Globalnews.ca - November 25th, 2021
- Five years of struggle: Liberal backbencher warns national mental health will take time - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Liberal storm over candidates to take on Steggall, Kelly in NSW seats - The Sydney Morning Herald - November 25th, 2021
- Opinion | Woke Went the Way of P.C. and Liberal - The New York Times - November 19th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark-money' behemoth funneled more than $400M in 2020 - Politico - November 19th, 2021
- Former Liberal leader to join forces with Labor veteran in bid to target Morrison ahead of election - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- The intellectual rights war on Americas institutions - Vox - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals push to speed up NSW preselections amid frustration at tactics of key Scott Morrison ally - The Guardian - November 19th, 2021
- Liberals to introduce tougher version of bill to ban conversion therapy - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- Michelle Beckley, one of the Texas Houses most liberal members, joins Democratic primary for lieutenant governor - KPRC Click2Houston - November 19th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - CBC.ca - November 19th, 2021
- The India that Vir Das and liberals want and the one they wont talk about - ThePrint - November 19th, 2021
- Britain's establishment has split into two, each convinced it is the underdog - The Economist - November 19th, 2021
- Meet the Liberal team running for Georges River Council - St George and Sutherland Shire Leader - November 19th, 2021
- Statement by Steven Del Duca on the 552nd Anniversary of the Birth of Guru Nanak Dev Ji - Ontario Liberal Party - November 19th, 2021
- The Liberals. The shrinking tribe - The Spectator Australia - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives, NDP demand release of documents linked to 'troubling' claims Clerk of House favoured Liberals - CBC.ca - November 15th, 2021
- China Liberal Receives Recognition and Recommendation by Industry Experts for Its All-in-one Teaching Machine AI-Space - PRNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- What happened to woke: Liberal media blame Republicans for the term's downfall - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Clock already ticking on Liberal promise to introduce host of bills in first 100 days - Coast Reporter - November 15th, 2021
- Brad Wall: Nothing progressive about Liberal policies hiking the cost of living - National Post - November 15th, 2021
- Conservatives more effective than liberals on Twitter: study | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and Analysis - Asahi Shimbun - November 15th, 2021
- Harvard To Begin To Offer 'Young Liberal Leaders' Scholarship Which Will Grant Up To $100000 In Tuition Reimbursement To Young Democrats - ValueWalk - November 15th, 2021
- Hockey backs former journalist and calls for a contested Liberal preselection in Willoughby - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- Federal Court dismisses bid to prevent reporting on alleged abuse of public resources - Sydney Morning Herald - November 15th, 2021
- BC Liberal critic Kirkpatrick presses the NDP to stop the clawback of autism funding - Voiceonline.com - November 15th, 2021
- CNN commentators fume after CNN report on Kamala Harris office dysfunction: 'I had to push back heavily' - Fox News - November 15th, 2021
- Garden a focus of William Tyrrell probe - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Forbes evacuation order as flood threatens - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- Single-use plastics to be banned in NSW - Daily Liberal - November 15th, 2021
- The wealthy pay more than their 'fair share' and liberals know it | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Emily Kaplan On The Rise of the Liberal Latter-day Saints - KUER 90.1 - November 13th, 2021
- Winsome Sears: The latest Black conservative to make liberals nervous | TheHill - The Hill - November 13th, 2021
- Discredited anti-Trump Steele dossier was embraced by liberal media: Here are five of the biggest offenders - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Newsweek editor accuses White, affluent liberals of 'using the pain of African Americans' to further goals - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Brazil: Bolsonaro joins Liberal Party ahead of 2022 election - DW (English) - November 13th, 2021
- Opinion: F.W. de Klerk was neither a liberal nor a reformer. But he was a pragmatist - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Protesting Alleged Liberal Bias in Higher Ed, Scholars Announce a University of Their Own - EdSurge - November 13th, 2021
- Betsy DeVos: Liberal 'wokeness' will always 'rename, rebrand, or repackage' 'insidious ideas' such as critical race theory to keep them alive - Denver... - November 13th, 2021
- Opinion: That Liberal-NDP deal in full: the NDP agree not to do what they weren't going to do anyway - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal government vows to hire more staff to address veterans' backlog, caseloads - The Globe and Mail - November 13th, 2021
- Joe Concha: Only reason these liberal pundits have a job is to sow division in America - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Sen. Josh Hawley claims without evidence that liberals are attacking masculinity - NPR - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Drive On College Campuses Is Becoming A Routine Part Of Hiring, No Evidence That Intellectual Talent Improves -... - November 13th, 2021
- How a grocery store visit highlights voters' fears that Kevin Vuong could be a lame duck MP - CBC.ca - November 13th, 2021
- Liberal media fawns over SNL skit about Goober the Clown who had an abortion when she was 23 - Fox News - November 13th, 2021
- Liberals leaving nuclear's future 'to the market' while other countries bet big - National Post - November 13th, 2021
- Thats ideology: City of Sydney Liberal team take on Moore over bike paths - Sydney Morning Herald - November 13th, 2021
- Rex Murphy: Stephen Harper is right how Liberals are treating the West is inexcusable - National Post - November 13th, 2021
- Talkin' Truthful Trash With Liberals And Conservatives - The Chattanoogan - November 5th, 2021
- The Limits of Liberal Science - The Bulwark - November 5th, 2021
- On abortion, Germany is not as liberal as you may think - Euronews - November 5th, 2021
- Churchill: New York isn't as liberal as everyone thinks - Times Union - November 5th, 2021
- Opinion: Is carbon pricing Liberal policy? For the most part, it's anything but - The Globe and Mail - November 5th, 2021
- Liberal, Green leaders withdraw from COVID commitee as striking health-care workers forced back - Globalnews.ca - November 5th, 2021