Conservatives political messages on social media reach neutral voters better than those of their liberal counterparts through plain emotional expressions and friendlier interactions, according to a survey.
A team of researchers from the Toyohashi University of Technology, the University of Tokyo and the City University of Hong Kong found that supporters of Shinzo Abe, a conservative former prime minister, had better success than critics of Abe in sharing their views on Twitter with a wider range of people.
This may be among the reasons for the prolonged reign of the ruling Liberal Democratic Party, a team member said.
According to the researchers, voters personal likings of politicians can affect the level of support for their policies.
Past studies have shown that sympathy for a prime minister can greatly sway the political stances of Japanese voters.
The team analyzed 130 million posts that contained the word Abe in katakana and kanji on Twitter from February 2019, when Abe was prime minister, through October 2020 immediately following his resignation.
After examining accounts that were prone to retweet the same posts, the team identified two large networks of Twitter users: those who supported Abe and those critical of him.
A member of one network tweeted, for example, Thank you for your long and hard work, Prime Minister Abe. A member of the other network described Abe and lawmaker Taro Aso as the worst prime minister and deputy prime minister in the postwar period.
The team categorized accounts that posted aggressively in both of the networks as either conservative or liberal voters.
The others who uploaded messages less frequently were deemed nonpartisan and moderate.
The teams analysis showed that 23 percent of posts by the conservative userswere retweetedto the neutral group. The retweet ratio was as low as 6 percent for the liberal groups messages.
A closer examination of the posts found that the words anger, hatred and other emotional phrases appeared more frequently in the conservative comments than in the liberal remarks.
Emotional words are said to help information go viral.
In their comments about current affairs and other issues, the conservatives tended to use colloquial adjectives that resembled those of the moderate posters, the study found.
If a moderate user followed an account, conservatives followed back in 62 percent of the cases, compared with 51 percent for liberals, the study found.
Liberals looking to push forward their social movement with citizens should pay attention (to the study results) so that they can form connections with those who have different political opinions, said team member Mitsuo Yoshida, a former assistant professor at the Toyohashi University of Technology who is now an associate professor of computational social science at the University of Tsukuba.
But, at least in the social media study, such acts were detected more often among conservatives, he said.
The findings have been published in the scientific journal Scientific Reports at (https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-98349-2)
Read more from the original source:
- US Senate v liberal democracy: the battle in the heart of Washington DC - The Guardian - January 24th, 2022
- Youth wing of Australia's Liberal Party recognising the Republic of Artsakh and the Armenian, Assyrian, Greek Genocides Public Radio of Armenia -... - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal Boys and Girls Wrestling Teams Win at Atwood - KSCB News.net - January 24th, 2022
- The BC Liberal Party leadership appears to be in Kevin Falcon's hands - The Globe and Mail - January 24th, 2022
- Trump supporters exhibit greater cognitive rigidity and less interpersonal warmth than supporters of liberal candidates, study finds - PsyPost - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal leadership speculation a distraction, Trudeau should shut it down firmly, say Liberal MPs, political insiders, and pollsters - The Hill Times - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal media members heap praise on Biden following first solo press conference in months: 'Quite the change' - Fox News - January 24th, 2022
- Rooftop Revelations: Mentorship and ownership is the solution to policies from 'liberal white racists' - Fox News - January 24th, 2022
- LILLEY: CBC will get more of your money mostly because it serves Trudeau Liberals - Toronto Sun - January 24th, 2022
- American liberal elites are waking up to the benefits of Brexit - Telegraph.co.uk - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal groups pledge to punish Kyrsten Sinema in next reelection bid for refusing to gut filibuster - Washington Times - January 24th, 2022
- Federal election: 'Voices of' independent candidates have strong backing in three Liberal seats - The Australian Financial Review - January 24th, 2022
- Press Roundup: Speculations about Foreign Interference in Hungarian Elections - Hungary Today - January 24th, 2022
- Snapshot from day eight at the Open - Daily Liberal - January 24th, 2022
- Liberal media use Martin Luther King Jr. day to push election legislation, claim 'voting rights under assault' - Fox News - January 19th, 2022
- Liberals spend billions more on outsourced contracts since taking power - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2022
- Are Twitter and Facebook liberal or conservative? - Deseret News - January 19th, 2022
- Liberals in a lather over preselection irregularities for newly minted seat - The Age - January 19th, 2022
- Canada's Supreme Court is off-balance as 'large and liberal' consensus on the Charter falls apart - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2022
- Lawmaker defects to opposition in UK - Daily Liberal - January 19th, 2022
- At the Library | Session to help teens prepare for work - Daily Liberal - January 19th, 2022
- Our Beliefs | Liberal Party of Australia - January 14th, 2022
- Everything sucks here: Liberal parents are losing their minds over COVID-related school closures - Salon - January 14th, 2022
- Bill Maher spells out difference between liberals and woke liberals - New York Post - January 14th, 2022
- The liberal arts can counteract polarisation but there are caveats - Times Higher Education - January 14th, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Have suspicions of the liberal agenda? - The Winchester Star - January 14th, 2022
- Jeanine Pirro Named Co-host of The Five With Liberal Seat to Rotate Between Harold Ford Jr, Geraldo Rivera, and Jessica Tarlov - Business Wire - January 14th, 2022
- Conservative, liberal female figures weigh in on VP Harris report that her race and gender affect headlines - Fox News - January 14th, 2022
- Biden immigration promises after one year: Border chaos and frustrated liberals - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2022
- An outspoken Bath councillor has become the second to quit the Liberal Democrats this term amid allegations of bullying but the party say he is the... - January 14th, 2022
- Liberal Democrats in Harrogate and Knaresborough write to Andrew Jones MP calling for Boris Johnson to resign Harrogate Informer - Harrogate Informer - January 14th, 2022
- Ontario homeowner allowed to keep flying anti-Trudeau flag after town backs down - National Post - January 14th, 2022
- Liberalism, Realism and the Demise of National Values - Armenian Weekly - January 7th, 2022
- After Harry Reid's death, will the LDS Church ever see another liberal leader? - KUER 90.1 - January 7th, 2022
- Why Liberals Secretly Love Donald Trump - The National Interest - January 7th, 2022
- The liberal fantasy of the Capitol coup - UnHerd - January 7th, 2022
- Dining across the divide: I thought she was going to be an over-the-top liberal - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal fecklessness: The US is on a precipice and time is running out - Open Democracy - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal New York Magazine writer roasted for mocking conservative groups efforts to help stranded motorists - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal journalists shift on coronavirus as omicron variant surges: 'We don't orient our lives around the flu' - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- More 2021 Review, The Coup, and 2022 01/05 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - January 7th, 2022
- Liberals are really Indias fringe: What a new book on data says - The News Minute - January 7th, 2022
- Veer Savarkar, Hinduism, Hindutva and the liberal strawman arguments - OpIndia - January 7th, 2022
- Here are what COVID-19 restrictions are back in NSW - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- Japan imposes COVID curbs in three regions - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- England's Hameed at risk of record low - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- The Two-State Solution Is Deadand Liberal Zionists Can't Save It - Foreign Policy - December 31st, 2021
- Progressives have sacrificed liberalism - UnHerd - December 31st, 2021
- Her Grandfather Is a Conservative Icon. Her Comedy Is Liberal AF - Rolling Stone - December 31st, 2021
- Ontario Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca looks to claw his party back in next year's provincial election - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2021
- Biden still blameless on COVID in the eyes of our liberal media - Fox News - December 31st, 2021
- Opinion: In defense of the liberal arts - CT Post - December 31st, 2021
- Podcast! 2 first-year students explore the liberal arts benefits for a professor succeeding with an online enterprise - WCN (WestminsterCollege... - December 31st, 2021
- 2021 Year in Review: Highlights, Lowlights, and Lowlifes 12/29 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - December 31st, 2021
- Hundreds of homes burn in US wildfires - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Mike Tyson Australia ban went to the top - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- The images that defined 2021, by ACM photographers - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- New year but COVID pandemic continues - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Liberal, Kansas - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2021
- Conservatives and Liberals Are Wrong About Each Other - The Atlantic - December 27th, 2021
- Liberals should resolve to be more tolerant in 2022 our democracy depends on it - New York Post - December 27th, 2021
- Proposed regulation would ensure more liberal teachers, not better education - Washington Examiner - December 27th, 2021
- How Indian Liberalism Aided The Rise Of The Right OpEd - Eurasia Review - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal Zionism is collapsing into the Palestinian solidarity movement everywhere but Washington Beinart - Mondoweiss - December 27th, 2021
- Fred McKinney (opinion): Time for liberals to understand the truth about corporations - CT Post - December 27th, 2021
- Peace on Earth? Program shows how conservatives and liberals just might get along - The Advocate - December 27th, 2021
- Newspoll latest: Bitter blow for Prime Minister Scott Morison and the Liberal Party ahead of looming 2022 federal election - 7NEWS - December 27th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Times Colonist - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal senator Peter Poulos appointed to vacant parliamentary secretary role covering Wollonngong and the Illawarra - Illawarra Mercury - December 27th, 2021
- England won't turn on batters: Anderson - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- England show fight before another collapse - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- Conservative column too liberal with numbers | News, Sports, Jobs - Evening Observer - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark money' groups' revenue soared ahead of 2020 elections - Center for Responsive Politics - December 25th, 2021
- Bette Midler is the latest liberal to pretend to care about the 'average Joe' | TheHill - The Hill - December 25th, 2021
- Both political parties are a mix of conservative and liberal values | Education. Appreciation. Action. - Enumclaw Courier-Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Randy Boissonnault knows he must master a delicate balancing act as the Liberals' 'minister for all Albertans' - The Globe and Mail - December 25th, 2021
- Andrew Constance set to become Liberal party candidate in marginal Gilmore, after contenders withdraw - ABC News - December 25th, 2021
- The ultimate liberal hypocrisy: How the Left outrages over hate speech but turns a blind eye to hate crimes and violence - OpIndia - December 25th, 2021
- Where weve got women, we win: NSW Liberals aim to replicate local government success at federal level - Sydney Morning Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal MP Andrew Laming to be taken to court by electoral commission over Facebook page - The Guardian Australia - December 25th, 2021