Media top headlines November 15
In media news today, Kamala Harris' spokeswoman hits back at CNN, an MSNBC anchor gets slammed on Twitter for arguing Americans can afford more expensive groceries, and Axios warns about a 'reckoning' on news outlets that touted the Steele dossier
Two liberal CNN commentators who support Vice President Kamala Harris are unhappy with their outlet's own story outlining frustration and dysfunction in her office.
A lengthy CNN piece Sunday outlined mutual exasperation between Harris and President Joe Biden's offices as her approval rating dips, with the former's aides feeling hung out to dry as she tackles thankless tasks without White House cover, and the latter's staff having "thrown up their hands" at her "lack of focus," as CNN put it.
"Defenders and people who care for Harris are getting frantic," CNN's Edward-Isaac Dovere and Jasmine Wright reported, adding, "She's perceived to be in such a weak position that top Democrats in and outside of Washington have begun to speculate privately, asking each other why the White House has allowed her to become so hobbled in the public consciousness, at least as they see it."
U.S. Vice-President Kamala Harris speaks to American and French reporters during a press conference at the InterContinental Le Grande Hotel in Paris, France November 12, 2021. Sarahbeth Maney/Pool via REUTERS (Reuters)
CNN commentator Bakari Sellers, who backed Harris' ill-fated presidential bid, complained on "New Day" about the overall way the first female vice president is treated in the media.
KAMALA HARRIS SPOKESWOMAN SLAMS CNN'S GOSSIP REPORTING
"I have a larger issue with the tone and tenor by which Kamala Harris is covered, and I think we saw that in this article," he said. "I had to push back heavily on this article and throw a little cold water on it. I spent a little time with the vice presidents office and no ones frantic, but more importantly she just got back from a flawless overseas trip to France dealing with a very prickly issue where we had some freezing of our diplomatic relations with France, and she by all means performed extremely well."
Sellers, who was quoted in a separate Washington Post article defending Harris, bemoaned that the CNN piece mentioned a Harris gaffe from her diplomatic trip to France, where she appeared to awkwardly employ a French accent during a lab visit.
U.S. President Joe Biden delivers remarks about his Build Back Better agenda and the bipartisan infrastructure deal as Vice President Kamala Harris stands by in the East Room of the White House in Washington, U.S., October 28, 2021. (REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst)
"When you have these articles come out, it puts a lot of us in a defensive posture, because we see that a lot of people are treating Kamala Harris the same way they treated Hillary Clinton, which is attempting to end her political career in a death by a million cuts," he said.
Sellers acknowledged there was frustration among Harris' allies with how she was being deployed by the West Wing. Harris has stumbled through being the point person on thorny issues like Democrats' desired voting system overhaul and the mounting border crisis.
"The fact is, shes come into this being a great team player because there was a thought that she would not be a team player, and shes been nothing but a great team player," Sellers said.
KAMALA HARRIS ASKED HOW FRANCE TRIP WOULD PREPARE HER FOR THE PRESIDENCY
Also, CNN legal and national security analyst Carrie Cordero didn't care for the piece, quoting the article's headline, and tweeting, "Alternatively, Accomplished, Brave & History-Changing @VP Doesnt Conform to Mythical Expectations of a Pandemic-Era, Post-Insurrection Vice Presidency."
The piece touched a nerve in the White House, with press secretary Jen Psaki tweeting out a defense of Harris that appeared to be in direct response to the article. Harris' approval rating was a dismal 28 percent in one recent survey, a historically bad number for a vice president and especially after a comparatively brief time in office.
(Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
"For anyone who needs to hear it. @VP is not only a vital partner to @POTUS but a bold leader who has taken on key, important challenges facing the countryfrom voting rights to addressing root causes of migration to expanding broadband," Psaki tweeted.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Symone Sanders, who serves as senior adviser and chief spokesperson for Harris, also chimed in, writing, "It is unfortunate that after a productive trip to France in which we reaffirmed our relationship with America's oldest ally and demonstrated U.S. leadership on the world stage, and following passage of a historic, bipartisan infrastructure bill that will create jobs and strengthen our communities, some in the media are focused on gossip not on the results that the President and Vice President have delivered."
- Our Beliefs | Liberal Party of Australia - January 14th, 2022
- Our Plan | Liberal Party of Australia - January 14th, 2022
- Liberal USD 480 | Home - January 14th, 2022
- The Social-Liberal/Economic-Conservative Mirage Immigration Edition - Immigration Blog - January 14th, 2022
- Everything sucks here: Liberal parents are losing their minds over COVID-related school closures - Salon - January 14th, 2022
- Bill Maher spells out difference between liberals and woke liberals - New York Post - January 14th, 2022
- The liberal arts can counteract polarisation but there are caveats - Times Higher Education - January 14th, 2022
- Letter to the editor: Have suspicions of the liberal agenda? - The Winchester Star - January 14th, 2022
- Jeanine Pirro Named Co-host of The Five With Liberal Seat to Rotate Between Harold Ford Jr, Geraldo Rivera, and Jessica Tarlov - Business Wire - January 14th, 2022
- Conservative, liberal female figures weigh in on VP Harris report that her race and gender affect headlines - Fox News - January 14th, 2022
- Biden immigration promises after one year: Border chaos and frustrated liberals - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2022
- An outspoken Bath councillor has become the second to quit the Liberal Democrats this term amid allegations of bullying but the party say he is the... - January 14th, 2022
- Liberal Democrats in Harrogate and Knaresborough write to Andrew Jones MP calling for Boris Johnson to resign Harrogate Informer - Harrogate Informer - January 14th, 2022
- Ontario homeowner allowed to keep flying anti-Trudeau flag after town backs down - National Post - January 14th, 2022
- Liberalism, Realism and the Demise of National Values - Armenian Weekly - January 7th, 2022
- After Harry Reid's death, will the LDS Church ever see another liberal leader? - KUER 90.1 - January 7th, 2022
- Why Liberals Secretly Love Donald Trump - The National Interest - January 7th, 2022
- The liberal fantasy of the Capitol coup - UnHerd - January 7th, 2022
- Dining across the divide: I thought she was going to be an over-the-top liberal - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal fecklessness: The US is on a precipice and time is running out - Open Democracy - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal New York Magazine writer roasted for mocking conservative groups efforts to help stranded motorists - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- Liberal journalists shift on coronavirus as omicron variant surges: 'We don't orient our lives around the flu' - Fox News - January 7th, 2022
- More 2021 Review, The Coup, and 2022 01/05 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - January 7th, 2022
- Liberals are really Indias fringe: What a new book on data says - The News Minute - January 7th, 2022
- Veer Savarkar, Hinduism, Hindutva and the liberal strawman arguments - OpIndia - January 7th, 2022
- Here are what COVID-19 restrictions are back in NSW - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- Japan imposes COVID curbs in three regions - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- England's Hameed at risk of record low - Daily Liberal - January 7th, 2022
- The Two-State Solution Is Deadand Liberal Zionists Can't Save It - Foreign Policy - December 31st, 2021
- Progressives have sacrificed liberalism - UnHerd - December 31st, 2021
- Her Grandfather Is a Conservative Icon. Her Comedy Is Liberal AF - Rolling Stone - December 31st, 2021
- Ontario Liberal Leader Steven Del Duca looks to claw his party back in next year's provincial election - The Globe and Mail - December 31st, 2021
- Biden still blameless on COVID in the eyes of our liberal media - Fox News - December 31st, 2021
- Opinion: In defense of the liberal arts - CT Post - December 31st, 2021
- Podcast! 2 first-year students explore the liberal arts benefits for a professor succeeding with an online enterprise - WCN (WestminsterCollege... - December 31st, 2021
- 2021 Year in Review: Highlights, Lowlights, and Lowlifes 12/29 by Liberal Dan Radio | Politics Progressive - BlogTalkRadio - December 31st, 2021
- Hundreds of homes burn in US wildfires - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Mike Tyson Australia ban went to the top - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- The images that defined 2021, by ACM photographers - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- New year but COVID pandemic continues - Daily Liberal - December 31st, 2021
- Liberal, Kansas - Wikipedia - December 27th, 2021
- Conservatives and Liberals Are Wrong About Each Other - The Atlantic - December 27th, 2021
- Liberals should resolve to be more tolerant in 2022 our democracy depends on it - New York Post - December 27th, 2021
- Proposed regulation would ensure more liberal teachers, not better education - Washington Examiner - December 27th, 2021
- How Indian Liberalism Aided The Rise Of The Right OpEd - Eurasia Review - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal Zionism is collapsing into the Palestinian solidarity movement everywhere but Washington Beinart - Mondoweiss - December 27th, 2021
- Fred McKinney (opinion): Time for liberals to understand the truth about corporations - CT Post - December 27th, 2021
- Peace on Earth? Program shows how conservatives and liberals just might get along - The Advocate - December 27th, 2021
- Newspoll latest: Bitter blow for Prime Minister Scott Morison and the Liberal Party ahead of looming 2022 federal election - 7NEWS - December 27th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Times Colonist - December 27th, 2021
- Liberal senator Peter Poulos appointed to vacant parliamentary secretary role covering Wollonngong and the Illawarra - Illawarra Mercury - December 27th, 2021
- England won't turn on batters: Anderson - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- England show fight before another collapse - Daily Liberal - December 27th, 2021
- Conservative column too liberal with numbers | News, Sports, Jobs - Evening Observer - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal 'dark money' groups' revenue soared ahead of 2020 elections - Center for Responsive Politics - December 25th, 2021
- Bette Midler is the latest liberal to pretend to care about the 'average Joe' | TheHill - The Hill - December 25th, 2021
- Both political parties are a mix of conservative and liberal values | Education. Appreciation. Action. - Enumclaw Courier-Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Opinion: Randy Boissonnault knows he must master a delicate balancing act as the Liberals' 'minister for all Albertans' - The Globe and Mail - December 25th, 2021
- Andrew Constance set to become Liberal party candidate in marginal Gilmore, after contenders withdraw - ABC News - December 25th, 2021
- The ultimate liberal hypocrisy: How the Left outrages over hate speech but turns a blind eye to hate crimes and violence - OpIndia - December 25th, 2021
- Where weve got women, we win: NSW Liberals aim to replicate local government success at federal level - Sydney Morning Herald - December 25th, 2021
- Liberal MP Andrew Laming to be taken to court by electoral commission over Facebook page - The Guardian Australia - December 25th, 2021
- Quebec's COVID Count Rises and a Liberal MP gets Censured: In The News for Dec. 23 - Coast Reporter - December 25th, 2021
- NDP call on the Liberal government to uphold commitments on human rights - ndp.ca - December 25th, 2021
- The full text of the Queen's Xmas message - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- Omicron grounds hundreds of US flights - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- Tennis star COVID positive in Sydney - Daily Liberal - December 25th, 2021
- UT College of Liberal Arts: - December 19th, 2021
- Liberal pundits react to Manchin's 'no' on Build Back Better: 'A lot to process' - Fox News - December 19th, 2021
- The Law Schools With The Most Conservative And Liberal Students (2022) - Above the Law - December 19th, 2021
- Liberals disappointed after Biden's first year | TheHill - The Hill - December 19th, 2021
- Tories bet on Liberal to oversee Ontario Lottery and Gaming - Toronto Star - December 19th, 2021
- A Democratic socialist, the state's most liberal lawmaker: Meet the Texas progressives aiming for Congress - San Antonio Express-News - December 19th, 2021
- Dick Gottfried, Champion of Liberal Causes, to Retire After 52 Years - The New York Times - December 19th, 2021
- Liberal government gets all its priority legislation enacted before Christmas break - CTV News - December 19th, 2021
- Calls grow from Liberal, Tory MPs for federal intervention in Quebecs Bill 21 - Global News - December 19th, 2021
- Fiona Kotvojs named Liberal nominee for Bega with the by-election slated for early next year - ABC News - December 19th, 2021
- Omicron 'raging through the world': Fauci - Daily Liberal - December 19th, 2021
- Decision on whether to reintoduce dingoes to The Grampians imminent - Daily Liberal - December 19th, 2021
- The future of the Liberal Partywithout Justin Trudeau - Macleans.ca - December 7th, 2021