Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will join the centrist Liberal Party (Partido Liberal)ahead of next year's presidential elections, according to a party statement released on Wednesday.
Bolsonaro had left his right-wing Social Liberal Party in 2019, leaving him without an official political affiliation. Bolsonaro is required to join a party if he wants to run for reelection, with independent candidates legally not allowed on the ballot.
The far-right Brazilian leader is expected to sign his Liberal Party membership papers in Brasilia on November 22.
The Liberal Party is a member of an establishmentcoalition of parties called "centrao." These parties have helped Bolsonaro pass legislation while in office and protected him from impeachment.
Joining the Liberal Party signifies a shift in political strategy by Bolsonaro, who railed against the establishment during his presidential campaign in 2018.
Bolsonaro previously attempted to start his own party in 2019, Alliance for Brazil, but itfailed to garner the necessary signatures for registration.
Meanwhile, former judge Sergio Moro also joined apolitical party on Wednesday, signaling he will likely launch a bid for the presidency. Moro, who oversaw the country's "Operation Car Wash" corruption probe, has become a member of thecenter-right Podemos Party.
Moro said he would run on a presidential platform of fighting corruption and eradicating poverty in the developing South American nation.
Moro becameBolsonaro's justice minister in 2019, but later had a falling out with the president and left the position the following year.
During his time at the helm of "Operation Car Wash," Moro charged former President Luiz Inacio Lula daSilva, or Lula, with corruption in 2017, sending the left-wing figure to prison in 2018. Lula was later released, with the Supreme Federal Court finding Moro to be biased in overseeing the corruption trial.
Lula, who served as president from 2003 to 2010, is expected to run against Bolsonaro in the 2022 election. Lula has slammed Bolsonaro over his coronavirus and economicpolicies and labeled the current president a "psychopath."
Recent polls have suggested that Lula would handily defeat Bolsonaro in a presidential matchup, with Morotrailing behind both of them.Bolsonaro has stoked fears of a rigged election, suggesting he may not step down peacefully if he loses the presidency next year.
wd/sms (Reuters, AFP, AP)
See the article here:
- force.com - November 27th, 2022
- Liberal Party SA - November 25th, 2022
- Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, From ... - November 25th, 2022
- Ex-VP Hamid Ansari's 'Challenges to a liberal polity' book review: The politics of being Indian - The New Indian Express - November 7th, 2022
- English | Liberal Arts | UT - Austin - November 5th, 2022
- Liberal values are absolute - The Tribune India - October 17th, 2022
- Fixing another liberal tax burden - The Hill - October 17th, 2022
- Opposition will ask EC to dissolve Bhumjaithai Party over its liberal cannabis policy - Thai PBS World - October 17th, 2022
- How the Great War wiped out the Liberal Party as a political force - The Telegraph - October 17th, 2022
- Liberal arts education at UAH inspired alumnus Scott Hightower to give back through endowed scholarship and community service - UAH News - October 17th, 2022
- Isle of Wight Liberal Democrats name by-election candidate - On The Wight - October 17th, 2022
- Liberal City Commission Meets, approves Sprinkler System for the Recreation Center - KSCB News.net - October 17th, 2022
- 'Doctor G' Shows the 'Liberal Man' a Mirror and It's Not a Comforting Picture - LiveWire - October 17th, 2022
- Dinah Tetteh is New Vaughn Endowed Professor in Liberal Arts and Communication - Arkansas State University - October 17th, 2022
- Are we witnessing the end of Liberalism? - Troy Media - October 17th, 2022
- 'Very Liberal' Candidate Releases Own Sex Tape to Break From the Pack - Newsweek - October 15th, 2022
- Society of Fellows in the Liberal Arts welcomes new scholars - Princeton University - October 15th, 2022
- WATCH: Mark Wahlberg ditched liberal California to 'give my kids a better life' - Washington Examiner - October 15th, 2022
- A Liberal View of the Hijab Controversy - The Citizen - October 15th, 2022
- Liberal chair of Taiwan parliamentary group says Taiwan should be at the table with other nations - CBC News - October 15th, 2022
- Why 'Liberals' Tie Themselves Into Knots Over Hinduism And Hindutva - Swarajya - October 15th, 2022
- The Liberal Party is in a dire state across Australia right now. That should worry us all - The Conversation - October 15th, 2022
- Liberals want investigation into attempts by premier to force out Speaker of the House - CBC.ca - October 15th, 2022
- Once I get the hospital, Ill happily retire: Liberals defend rural heartland against independent - The Age - October 15th, 2022
- Opinion | Liberals Currently Control Twitter. That Needs to Change. - POLITICO - October 8th, 2022
- Liberal MP Calls for 'Comprehensive Review' of His Government's Response to COVID-19 Pandemic - The Epoch Times - October 8th, 2022
- Liberal Justices Take The Reins In First Week Of Arguments - Above the Law - October 8th, 2022
- A Message to the Self-Proclaimed Social Liberal, Fiscal Conservative - The Miami Hurricane - October 8th, 2022
- 2nd Annual Faith and Blue Coming to Liberal on Sunday - KSCB News.net - October 8th, 2022
- Chaiken Scholar finds community in the Latino Caucus and Liberal Arts - psu.edu - October 8th, 2022
- Cheney on having liberal Democrats as supporters: Im not choosy these days - The Hill - October 8th, 2022
- Liberal campaign beset by threats to quit, surprise announcements and lack of cash - The Age - October 8th, 2022
- Joe Oliver: In Spite of Overarching Challenges, the Liberals Remain Unduly Fixated on a 'Climate Emergency' - The Epoch Times - October 8th, 2022
- PQ calling on Liberals to grant them official party status - CTV News Montreal - October 8th, 2022
- Police clash with abortion protesters, as opposing rallies take to the streets of Melbourne - ABC News - October 8th, 2022
- Swedish Centre Party leader accuses Liberal head of 'collaborating with former Nazis' in debate - Anadolu Agency | English - September 11th, 2022
- The FBI and liberal media collusion grinds on - Washington Times - September 11th, 2022
- Letter: If you agree with these principles, you might be a liberal - INFORUM - September 11th, 2022
- Letters to the editor: The folly of liberal gun proposals; Poor judgment by Bulletin editors; No public good; Personal responsibility and Betsy... - September 11th, 2022
- Welcome to the 2022 midterms: Let the liberal media spin begin - Washington Times - September 11th, 2022
- How left-liberals have conspired to kill cities? Here is San Francisco! - Firstpost - September 11th, 2022
- Liberals begin 3-day cabinet retreat focused on cost of living, economy - CBC News - September 11th, 2022
- Noble: How the neo-liberal myth of Me, Myself and I poisoned T&T society - Wired868 - September 11th, 2022
- Completely screwed over by one person I trusted implicitly: Tim Smith bares all - The Age - September 11th, 2022
- Greece: Hacked - The crippling liberal facade of Mitsotakis - Friedrich Naumann Foundation - September 11th, 2022
- Its going to be lineball: Liberals in fierce battle for previously safe coastal seats - The Age - September 11th, 2022
- 'This is the time for getting things done,' says former Liberal staffer after retreats wrapped up - The Hill Times - September 11th, 2022
- Liberal made cost-of-living crisis gets worse as interest rates rise again - Conservative Party of Canada - September 11th, 2022
- Opinion: Learning the true meaning of liberal through acts of kindness - Tennessean - September 2nd, 2022
- Liberal group accused of antisemitic post - The Riverdale Press - September 2nd, 2022
- A liberals experiment in calling DeSantis a fascist and what it says about labels - MinnPost - September 2nd, 2022
- New study helps pinpoint the key differences between liberals and progressives in the United States - PsyPost - September 2nd, 2022
- Liberal Jewish groups are the same as the Democratic Party - JNS.org - September 2nd, 2022
- Are Floridas universities too liberal? Heres what new state survey said. - Tampa Bay Times - September 2nd, 2022
- What Liberal Hawks Get Wrong About Iran (and Cuba) - The National Interest Online - September 2nd, 2022
- Column: Liberal battle cry: 'Show me the money' - Cullman Times Online - September 2nd, 2022
- FPOTUS and Rare Liberals Stoking the Schedule F Burn Pit - CounterPunch - September 2nd, 2022
- Josie Pagani: Liz Truss isn't the leader the world needs right now - Stuff - September 2nd, 2022
- Liberal with the truth The Poll Bludger - The Poll Bludger - July 29th, 2022
- The heartbreak of becoming a liberal in a conservative family - The Guardian - July 29th, 2022
- Indigenous models of liberal arts should beware of ethnic chauvinism - Times Higher Education - July 29th, 2022
- Liberalism and the Morality of War - CounterPunch.org - CounterPunch - July 29th, 2022
- Chalmers, the kind of treasurer the Liberals longed for - Sydney Morning Herald - July 29th, 2022
- China threat, Ron Paul's wife on dangerous liberal media and more Fox News Opinion - Fox News - July 29th, 2022
- Our liberal media love rage politics and endanger my husband and others who won't back their woke agenda - Fox News - July 29th, 2022
- Being A Non-Conformist In The Era Of Neo-Liberal Education OpEd - Eurasia Review - July 29th, 2022
- Mountie has 'impression' Liberal government interfered with N.S. mass shooting probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2022
- Liberal MPs opposing Voice to parliament because of a lack of detail - Sydney Morning Herald - July 29th, 2022
- Former top Liberal Mathias Cormann still refusing to talk about mastermind role in The Clan - The West Australian - July 29th, 2022
- Here is what the Liberal party could learn from the Conservatives under David Cameron - The Guardian - June 24th, 2022
- What liberal and woke Meghan Markle thinks of Supreme Courts ruling on abortion? - The News International - June 24th, 2022
- Ex-Liberal MP Raj Grewal invited lenders to private meet-and-greet with Trudeau - EverythingGP - June 24th, 2022
- The 6 weirdest Liberal Democrat election victory stunts - The Independent - June 24th, 2022
- Liberal Arts Professors Honored for Excellence in Teaching, Research - Ole Miss News - June 24th, 2022
- Can the Liberal Party really replace Justin Trudeau? - The Globe and Mail - June 24th, 2022
- How PM Modi riles liberal elites: The choice of Droupadi Murmu, the frustration of the cabal and the dangerous games they might play - OpIndia - June 24th, 2022
- Told to take a hike by UCP, former Alberta Liberal leader Raj Sherman says he'll run to lead Conservatives anyway - albertapolitics.ca - June 24th, 2022
- Liberal housing plan will not fix affordability crisis: CMHC - Conservative Party of Canada - June 24th, 2022
- The Liberal Party cant exist for itself: Constance on life after politics - Sydney Morning Herald - June 24th, 2022
- The Liberal party cannot rebuild until it rediscovers its reason to exist - The Guardian - June 5th, 2022