Bill Maher cant understand what has happened to the world he once knew, as he lamented during Fridays Real Time on HBO.
Several times during the show, an exasperated Maher threw up his hands and questioned the craziness of life in these United States. Cases in point: It used to be a liberal thing to be suspicious of defense contractors, he said during a discussion of the decision to send $40 billion to Ukraine. Later, during a discussion about the kvetching over Elon Musks Twitter bid, Free speech was important to liberals in this country at one time.
In his closing rant, he complained about The audacity of it all, noting it appears there are no lines that cant be crossed, like running on stage during a live show (a la Dave Chappelles recent brush with a nut), or messing with Mike Tyson. Who needs the metaverse when you can do whatever you want in real life? Maher asked.
He noted that 11 Walgreens and six CVS stores have closed in San Francisco in the last year as that city descends into virtual anarchy.
When did they legalize shoplifting? There used to be shame, or at least a skill to it. Now, CVS isnt a store. Its a zoo for teeth whitening strips.
Maher allowed that while there are issues with policing, We cant allow them to be hunted and targeted. He added that the public cant get so wrapped up in what the police shouldnt do that we become El Salvador. He pointed out that Democrats like to point out that crime has been worse before. And who gives a f***, Maher said. Im living now.
Democrats can tell voters that its not so bad, but their opposition knows the truth. He then cut to a Donald Trump speech where the former president promised that crime chaos stops right here, and right now.
Thats a powerful campaign theme when things feel like everything is descending into every man for himself, Maher warned.
During the panel portion of the show, Maher talked with Ian Bremmer, president of Eurasia Group and author of the new book The Power of Crisis: How Three Threats And Our Response Will Change The World, and Jane Harman, who served for six terms in the House of Representatives and is now a Distinguished Fellow and president emerita of The Wilson Center.
After the obligatory Roe v. Wade discussion that produced little dissent, the talk turned to Twitter and Musks bid for the social media service.
Bremmer said hes taking the under on whether Musk can restore civility if he buys Twitter. He pointed out that he loves to stir things up in his own tweets.
Maher noted that accusing Musk on that basis is similar to people attacking him for making fun of the left. Its where the comedy is.
Harman acknowledged that Elon is brilliant, but cautioned he should be careful what he wishes for. If Musks promise to restore Trump and others banned from the service happens all the crazy stuff comes back there, as Harman characterized it his shareholders will sell their stock.
Maher called such fears Straw man arguments. He cited Musks recent joke tweet that he was going to buy Coca-Cola and put the cocaine back in. When I read that, I felt, okay, Daddys home, Maher said. Thats what Twitter should be.
Earlier, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Rod Stewart stopped by on his way to a Las Vegas residency at Caesars. Maher is a longtime fan, and brought out a cherished single of Maggie May to prove his fanboy bonifides.
The chat was mostly surface level pleasantries, although Maher tried to steer the talk to Stewarts legendary love life, talking about an incident in Stewarts memoir where he made use of the bathroom at Le Dome for a between-courses quickie. Looking back, its nothing to be proud of, Stewart said. It was just an era.
However, he did allow that he enjoys being a rock star.
Here is the original post:
- Here is what the Liberal party could learn from the Conservatives under David Cameron - The Guardian - June 24th, 2022
- What liberal and woke Meghan Markle thinks of Supreme Courts ruling on abortion? - The News International - June 24th, 2022
- Ex-Liberal MP Raj Grewal invited lenders to private meet-and-greet with Trudeau - EverythingGP - June 24th, 2022
- The 6 weirdest Liberal Democrat election victory stunts - The Independent - June 24th, 2022
- Liberal Arts Professors Honored for Excellence in Teaching, Research - Ole Miss News - June 24th, 2022
- Can the Liberal Party really replace Justin Trudeau? - The Globe and Mail - June 24th, 2022
- How PM Modi riles liberal elites: The choice of Droupadi Murmu, the frustration of the cabal and the dangerous games they might play - OpIndia - June 24th, 2022
- Told to take a hike by UCP, former Alberta Liberal leader Raj Sherman says he'll run to lead Conservatives anyway - albertapolitics.ca - June 24th, 2022
- Liberal housing plan will not fix affordability crisis: CMHC - Conservative Party of Canada - June 24th, 2022
- The Liberal Party cant exist for itself: Constance on life after politics - Sydney Morning Herald - June 24th, 2022
- The Liberal party cannot rebuild until it rediscovers its reason to exist - The Guardian - June 5th, 2022
- Are the Movies Liberal? - The New York Times - June 5th, 2022
- Johnny Depp's Victory Is a Crack in the Moral Armor of Liberal Feminism | Opinion - Newsweek - June 5th, 2022
- Opinion | What America Needs Is a Liberalism That Builds - The New York Times - June 5th, 2022
- GOLDSTEIN: There's no Tory dynasty in Ontario and the Liberals aren't dead - Toronto Sun - June 5th, 2022
- Liberal-led Senate inquiry into ABC and SBS abandoned - The Guardian - June 5th, 2022
- Liberal government throws support behind bill aimed at tackling forced labour in supply chains - The Globe and Mail - June 5th, 2022
- The Liberal government continues to fail to act three years after the MMIWG Inquiry - New Democratic Party - June 5th, 2022
- NDP majority with Liberal opposition if students had their way - GuelphToday - June 5th, 2022
- Delaware shows the War on Drugs lives on in liberal enclaves - Brookings Institution - May 25th, 2022
- The Liberal Obsession With 'Disinformation' Is Not Helping - New York Magazine - May 25th, 2022
- It's not 'bias' liberal media are telling the truth, pointedly - The Boston Globe - May 25th, 2022
- Abandoning classical liberalism turns the heartland teal - The Australian Financial Review - May 25th, 2022
- Geoff Russ: The Liberal Canada loved by the boomers keeping Trudeau in power won't last - National Post - May 25th, 2022
- Labor says Peter Dutton taking reins of Liberal Party shows Coalition 'learned absolutely nothing' from federal election - ABC News - May 25th, 2022
- Liberals discussed dumping Morrison in Coalitions final months - Sydney Morning Herald - May 25th, 2022
- DAVID JOHNSON: Treason and the Liberal-NDP agreement - Saltwire - May 25th, 2022
- Regional Queensland voted for the Liberal National Party. What do they make of the Labor government and 'greenslide'? - ABC News - May 25th, 2022
- Conrad Black: Poilievre has a real chance to break the Liberal status quo and that has his enemies trembling - National Post - May 25th, 2022
- Angus Taylor says Liberal Party must focus on core values after federal election loss - ABC News - May 25th, 2022
- Liberals are too focused on themselves, says Constance, as Gilmore hangs in balance - Sydney Morning Herald - May 25th, 2022
- Where Have All the Liberals Gone? - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Liberals Should Be Worried About the Conservative Comedy Scene - POLITICO - May 15th, 2022
- The Looming End to Abortion Rights Gives Liberal Democrats a Spark - The New York Times - May 15th, 2022
- Ontario Liberals accuse PCs of favouring own party in government appointments - Global News - May 15th, 2022
- GUNTER: Yet more Liberal falsehoods surrounding the convoy have been debunked - Toronto Sun - May 15th, 2022
- Danger for the Liberal Party coming from the right as well as the teals - Sydney Morning Herald - May 15th, 2022
- What Labor and Liberal Facebook ad spend tells us about where the election campaign is heading - ABC News - May 15th, 2022
- Lib Dems already campaigning for Tiverton and Honiton byelection - The Guardian - May 15th, 2022
- Is AARP too liberal? That's what its right-leaning rivals say - Newsday - May 15th, 2022
- Can Doug Fords nephew topple the NDP incumbent in a Liberal riding? - Toronto Star - May 15th, 2022
- Utting Research Perth seat polls and Liberal Party briefing wars The Poll Bludger - The Poll Bludger - May 15th, 2022
- Liberal Party unveils one weird political ad to rule them all - Mumbrella - May 15th, 2022
- Scottish Water condemned by Liberal Democrats for bonuses as sewage is released into rivers - STV News - May 15th, 2022
- Liberal Party 'warms up' with final countdown underway - The Transcontinental - May 15th, 2022
- Abortion leak: Is the Supreme Court conservative or liberal? | Opinion - Deseret News - May 15th, 2022
- Will Orban Be Remembered as a Liberal? - The American Conservative - May 11th, 2022
- Francis Fukuyama Predicted the End of History. Its Back (Again). - The New York Times - May 11th, 2022
- Better med care, more say over immigration among Liberal promises to northern Ontario - Sudbury.com - May 11th, 2022
- Abortion laws in Colombia are now among the most liberal in the Americas : Goats and Soda - NPR - May 11th, 2022
- Former Australian of the Year says Liberal MP Fiona Martin selectively quoted him in political endorsement without his knowledge - ABC News - May 11th, 2022
- College Students Shouldnt Have To Choose Between Career Skills And Liberal Arts - Chief Executive - May 11th, 2022
- Globe editorial: The Liberals are eager to talk about regulating speech online but wisely reluctant to actually do it - The Globe and Mail - May 11th, 2022
- GUNTER: The Liberals have sneakily brought back the gun registry - Toronto Sun - May 11th, 2022
- Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke Liberals announce Oliver Jacob as their 2022 provincial candidate - Pembroke Observer - May 11th, 2022
- Frydenberg: if he loses, the Liberal Party would be changed dramatically - Crikey - May 11th, 2022
- Jesse Watters: Liberal protests at homes of Supreme Court justices are just a warning shot - Fox News - May 11th, 2022
- Federal Labor and Liberal parties pledge additional funding for CIT accommodation, Canberra's Home of Football - ABC News - May 11th, 2022
- The White Card review the liberal art worlds blindness to privilege - The Guardian - May 11th, 2022
- Liberal MP doubles down on comments that raped women should be denied abortions - The Age - May 11th, 2022
- UPES School of Liberal Studies Wants Students To Be Critical Thinkers - The Quint - May 11th, 2022
- CU Denver - College of Liberal Arts and Sciences - May 3rd, 2022
- Roe v. Wade and an End to the Liberal Romance With Courts - New York Magazine - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal dark money group with Biden admin ties capitalizes on SCOTUS leak to push court-packing agenda - Fox News - May 3rd, 2022
- I was deputy leader of the Liberals. The party I served has lost its way - Sydney Morning Herald - May 3rd, 2022
- Red stock, blue stock --- MAGA Republicans and liberal Democrats are taking their politics to Wall Street - MarketWatch - May 3rd, 2022
- There are pros and cons to the Liberal plan for $1 transit fares, experts say - CBC.ca - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal and Elkhart Baseball Split on Wind Blown Day - KSCB News.net - May 3rd, 2022
- Why teal independents are seeking Liberal voters and spooking Liberal MPs - The Conversation - May 3rd, 2022
- N.S. Liberal Party recovered $195K related to internal theft - CBC.ca - May 3rd, 2022
- Kevin Falcon eyes Liberal party renewal with his seat in the house secured - Vancouver Sun - May 3rd, 2022
- Council elections in Scotland: What are the Liberal Democrats for? Alex Cole-Hamilton MSP - Edinburgh News - May 3rd, 2022
- FIRST READING: Liberal voices starting to warn Pierre Poilievre could be their undoing - National Post - May 3rd, 2022
- Will the standard Liberal tactics of accusing Conservatives of being pro-gun and anti-abortion work on Pierre Poilievre? - The Globe and Mail - May 3rd, 2022
- FIRST READING: Another Liberal gun policy that neatly ignores where the guns come from - National Post - May 3rd, 2022
- Liberal Protestants and the Polarization of the US - Religion & Politics - April 20th, 2022
- Preregistration is the Enemy of Liberal Education | Opinion - Harvard Crimson - April 20th, 2022
- Rachel Williams named dean of the Division of Liberal Arts at UNCSA - UNCSA - UNCSA - April 20th, 2022
- The Liberal Party wants us to 'look at the facts'. But just whose facts? - Crikey - April 20th, 2022
- Ari Fleischer writes new book on why the liberal media keeps getting the news wrong - Fox News - April 20th, 2022