By Wesley J. Smith, J.D., Special Consultant to the CBC
Sometimes an article cuts through the fog of public debate and discourse to capture the true essence of a movement or belief system. Recently, a transhumanist named Kyle Munkittrick posted just such an article at the Discover magazine website, encapsulating in a nutshell everything that is wrong with transhumanism (about which nearly everything is wrong).
For those who may not know, transhumanism is a Utopian social movement and philosophy that looks toward a massive breakthrough in technological prowess, known as the singularity, that will open the door for transhumanists to seize control of human evolution and create a post human species of near immortals. Dont roll your eyes. Transhumanists believe in their ageless post human future with a desperate passion that borders onand often serves as a substitute forreligious faith.
Not only that, but the movement is getting good press. For example, Time recently published a laudatory profile of transhumanist author and futurist Raymond Kurzweils quest to live forever, under the serious title 2045: The Year Man Becomes Immortal. Similarly, Aubrey de Gray, who seeks to defeat human aging, receives much respectful media attentioneven though I heard him give a speech in which he claimed his research should take precedence over funding health care aid to Africa, and indeed, that failing to fund the human immortality project is akin to terrorism.
Alas, when it comes to transhumanism, much attention is paid to immortality and quirky personalities, but little attention is paid to transhumanisms poisonous core beliefs and goals.
But it isnt the unlikely Singularity or other technologies required to transform us into posthumans that make transhumanism so potentially destructive. Rather, the movements explicitly eugenic and anti-human exceptionalist values which cause ones neck hair to stand on end. Indeed, the dark soul (if you will) of Munkittricks article is well worth studying because it reveals transhumanisms dark soul.
The structure of Munkittricks article is to tell readers when we will know that the age of transhumanism has arrived. First, he writes, we will know we are in a transhumanist world when prosthetics are preferred over natural limbs. A key social indicator of the arrival of transhumanism, Munkittrick writes, will be when you find yourself seriously considering having your birth-given hand lopped off and replaced with a cybernetic one. Dont roll your eyes. Serious writers in notable bioethics journals have already sincerely advocated treating Body Identity Integrity Disorderin which people obsess on becoming amputeesby amputating healthy limbs.
Needless to say, transhumanists support brain implants and other measures taken to improve intelligence (never the ability to love, I notice)including the ludicrous notion of uploading individual human consciousnesses into computers. And, of course, in keeping with the transhumanisms desperate materialist yearning for a corporeal eternal life, Munkittrick says we will know we are in a transhumanist world when the average age exceeds 120.
Things go downhill steeply from there. Shades of Brave New World and Gattacatranshumanism would remove reproduction from intimacy and female child bearing. Dripping with eugenics values, Munkittrick expects future children to come into being via IVF or cloning technologies that will permit genetic modification, health screening, and, eventually synthetic wombs to allow the child with the best possibility of a good life to be born. (Eugenics means good in birth.) At the same time, freedom to have children would be legally constrained. Rather than anyone being able to accidentally spawn a whelpthe disgusting metaphor is not accidentalour future transhumanist masters would require parental licensing before one could cause a child to be brought into the world. Thus state control and official permitting over human manufacturingincluding custom design, special order, quality and inventory controlare core goals of the transhumanist social revolution.
Transhumanism foresees doctors as mere order takers and an anything goes public morality that would be sanctioned by the state. Munkittrick writes:
Actions such as abortion, assisted suicide, voluntary amputation, gender reassignment, surrogate pregnancy, body modification, legal unions among adults of any number, and consenting sexual practices would be protected under law. Ones genetic make-up, neurological composition, prosthetic augmentation, and other cybernetic modifications will be limited only by technology and ones own discretion. Transhumanism cannot happen without a legal structure that allows individuals to control their own bodies. When bodily freedom is as protected and sanctified as free speech, transhumanism will be free to develop.
Needless to say, creating such a society foresees the destruction of human exceptionalism, which transhumanists disdain as limiting their genetic recreationist (in Leon Kasss words) ambitions and establishing behavioral norms. Thus, being human in a transhumanist world would be morally irrelevant. Rather, Munkittrick writes, Rights discourse will shift to personhood instead of common humanity.
In such a world, the value of human life would cease to be intrinsic, but would become relative. Animals (including humans), he writesdeploying yet another human-diminishing sentimentwill be granted rights based on varying degrees of personhood . . . When African grey parrots, gorillas, and dolphins have the same rights as a human toddler, a transhuman friendly rights system will be in place. Indeed.
Transhumanism is a long way from being attained, and the world Munkittrick envisions will almost surely never come fully into being. But that doesnt mean we wont become crassly transhumanist in our personal and societal values. If we are going to preserve a culture founded on the Judeo/Christian ideal of equal human dignity and the obligation for individual behavioral restraint, transhumanism must be resisted intellectually and rejected, both in our public policies and the ways in which we lead our personal lives.
CBC Special Consultant Wesley J. Smith is a senior fellow at the Discovery Institutes Center on Human Exceptionalism.
Tagged as: transhumanism
See the original post here:
The Trouble with Transhumanism The Center for Bioethics ...
- Transhuman - Wikipedia - January 23rd, 2023
- The Transhuman Revolution: What it is and How to Prepare for its Arrival - January 23rd, 2023
- Transgender, transhuman: technological advances offer increased choices ... - January 23rd, 2023
- Transhuman - TV Tropes - January 23rd, 2023
- Transhuman code | A new initiative that highlights the growing ... - January 19th, 2023
- Transhumanism: What It Is, and Why It Is So Fundamentally Wrong - January 19th, 2023
- Your Fault: A Climate Crisis Weather Nightmare Before Christmas - January 2nd, 2023
- Martine Rothblatt - Wikipedia - November 25th, 2022
- Red Pill University | Beyond the Matrix - November 25th, 2022
- China Runs Police Outpost In New York City - technocracy.news - November 23rd, 2022
- Trilateral Commission: The secret circle that controls governments - November 23rd, 2022
- Steve Jackson Games Forums - Powered by vBulletin - November 23rd, 2022
- Elon Musk: Here Comes 'Optimus' - technocracy.news - October 28th, 2022
- Biden Builds Transhuman Cyborg Army using Immigrants! - October 28th, 2022
- What Is Transhumanism? - Human Life International - October 23rd, 2022
- Ageing is a technical problem that can be reversed, Dubai Future Forum told - The National - October 15th, 2022
- Ai-Da the robot and the myth of AI - Spiked - October 15th, 2022
- Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam to release a day early in Indian theatres - Ottplay - October 15th, 2022
- WISeKey Strengthens its Technology Portfolio Across Cybersecurity, IoT, NFT and the Metaverse ... - Ottumwacourier - August 10th, 2022
- Madison writer Meghan O'Gieblyn explores the connection between technology and religion - Isthmus - August 10th, 2022
- What Happened to Royce White? Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 10th, 2022
- The "resurrection" of the dead pigs, the promise of progress and the source of questions - - News84Media.com - August 10th, 2022
- Letter: Criticism of school district plan misleading | Letters To The Editor | newburyportnews.com - The Daily News of Newburyport - July 27th, 2022
- 12 Best Sci-Fi Games On PS4 And PS5 - Tech News Today - July 27th, 2022
- Mutants are Coming to the MCU, But Where Does Krakoa Fit In? - Gizmodo - July 27th, 2022
- Transhumanism to humankind's rescue? A new book claims we face a 'make or break' century, so let the technological remake begin - Genetic Literacy... - July 27th, 2022
- All Posts - Latest News - McAllisterTV - July 9th, 2022
- Chile Bans Discrimination Against Mutants and Genetically Altered ... - July 9th, 2022
- Biden Proves Soaring Gas Prices Are Intentional To Transition To ... - July 9th, 2022
- The Most Powerful Characters In The Boys Ranked - /Film - July 9th, 2022
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Just Showcased One Of Its Most Effective Metaphors Yet - /Film - June 20th, 2022
- Fear-extinction and the end of self-loathing in the metaverse - TNW - June 20th, 2022
- FDA Making COVID Vax Decision Based on a Study of 10 - Verve Times - June 20th, 2022
- 2022-05-16 | NDAQ:WKEY | Press Release | WISeKey International Holding AG - Stockhouse - May 21st, 2022
- Russian Colonel threatens Elon Musk, says you will be accountable - Euro Weekly News - May 11th, 2022
- Venice Biennale 2022: Man's relationship with the planet gets surreal - Euronews - April 25th, 2022
- Venice Biennale 2022: the worst art on show in the city - Art Newspaper - April 25th, 2022
- Who is Kwan Ha in the Halo show? Here's the character's story - Win.gg - April 11th, 2022
- Top 20 Companies That Rule The Web - technocracy.news - March 29th, 2022
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre reveal new album is on the way | Gigwise - Gigwise - March 27th, 2022
- WEF Global Risks Report 2022 Imagines ... - technocracy.news - February 17th, 2022
- Major LGBTQ+ organisations spark international review of the EHRC - Stonewall - February 17th, 2022
- Government to set up Military Base in the Afram Plains - GhanaWeb - February 17th, 2022
- The platform for a transhuman future: LABORATORY ... - February 7th, 2022
- X22Reports: The Storm is Upon Us, Green ... - Before It's News - February 3rd, 2022
- When hateful words arrive at the door - TheRecord.com - February 3rd, 2022
- Alert over killings of human rights defenders and journalists in the Americas in first month of 2022 - Amnesty International - February 3rd, 2022
- The best of Manfred Thierry Mugler's theatrical, otherworldly fashion - i-D - January 28th, 2022
- CEO of Pfizer arrested, charged with fraud media ... - January 19th, 2022
- Noah Hawley outlines the big themes of his Alien TV show - Winter Is Coming - January 7th, 2022
- Matrix Online may have perished in 2009, but it still exists as a ghost - BollyInside - December 19th, 2021
- Will artificial intelligence achieve godlike power? Wallace B. Henry asks, Who Will Rule the Coming 'Gods'? - Denison Forum - December 19th, 2021
- Vatican Hosts Conference Touching on Transhumanism - December 10th, 2021
- WISekeys Founder and CEO Carlos Moreira was Interviewed by - November 28th, 2021
- Doctor Issues Dire Warning to the ... - Technocracy News - November 28th, 2021
- Vinegar Syndrome Celebrates Black Friday With Secret Title Reveals and 50% Off Most Releases! - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- ECB survey shows euro zone inflation just below goal in 2022 - Yahoo Finance UK - October 30th, 2021
- Succession Returns, with no real people involved - WION - October 21st, 2021
- Proof That The Vaxxed Are No Longer Human - Luciferian ... - October 3rd, 2021
- RUBY 9100M x adidas Originals Ozrah Release Info | HYPEBEAST - October 3rd, 2021
- Ming-Na Wen & SNLs Keith Ian Raywood Reflect On 9/11 At Creative Arts Emmys: Twenty Years Ago Completely Changed Our Lives - Deadline - September 12th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 10th, 2021
- 13 Most Extreme Body Modifications - CBS News - July 27th, 2021
- Klaus Schwab: Great Reset Will Lead to Implantable ... - July 27th, 2021
- Technocrat Millionaire Unlocks Secrets Of The Mind - July 25th, 2021
- Crimson Circle > Library - July 25th, 2021
- Transhuman | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhuman 101: Moderna Declares COVID Vaccine To Be An ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus and the transhuman future - European Academy ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhumanism Is The New Religion Of Technocracy - June 23rd, 2021
- Its A Sin Star Lydia West On Walking Her First Major Red Carpet At The TV BAFTAs - British Vogue - June 11th, 2021
- Mother Lands is a tabletop RPG free of slavery and colonialism - Polygon - June 11th, 2021
- Twenty years covering people, politics, and protests - rabble.ca - May 11th, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? (You Need to ... - March 21st, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? - The Vaccine ... - March 21st, 2021
- El-Rufai: Clerics can negotiate with bandits -- that's not our job - TheCable - March 21st, 2021
- Falana-led Coalition Urges FG to Ban Foreign Armed Herders - THISDAY Newspapers - February 27th, 2021
- Insecurity: Nigeria working towards amendment of ECOWAS Protocols - Guardian - February 25th, 2021