Tanya DePass, founder and director of I Need Diverse Games, a not-for-profit advocacy organization, has brought together a talented group of creatives to launch a new tabletop role-playing game. Mother Lands posits a world far from our Earth that has never known slavery or colonialism. What began as an actual play series on Twitch and YouTube has spawned a new crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter. The ultimate goal is to produce Into The Mother Lands, a sourcebook that will explain the setting and define the games rules.
Polygon sat down with DePass, the creator of the new setting, and lead designer B. Dave Walters to learn more. They explained that the germ of the idea originated in the historical record.
We went back to the African Emperor Mansa Musa, Walters said, referring to the leader of the Mali Empire, an Islamic West African state which Musa I ruled during the 14th century. He was arguably the wealthiest man in history, who really existed and who sent a fleet to the New World. [...] For our story, this fleet departed and, through a mechanism that is yet to be revealed within the narrative, were transported to another planet.
Over the next 2,000 years, that small exploratory fleet became the Musalians, a human civilization sharing an exoplanet called Vutoa with multiple other humanoid alien species Hyena-like humanoids, transhuman cyborgs, human-plant hybrids, and powerful mind-reading symbiotes. DePass said that the setting draws its inspiration from both the Star Trek franchise and Marvels Black Panther.
Its an original Afrofuturist TTRPG, Walters said. It is a science fiction universe where there is no colonialism. There is no expansionist rhetoric. That is not the root cause of the action.
Instead, the Musalians and Vutoas existing populations coexist all around the planet, in high-tech urban centers as well as strange alien landscapes. When conflict does arise, its often about two or more groups competing for scarce resources.
We wanted to do something different, where diversity was a foundational idea, Walters said. Black excellence was a foundational idea, so we came up with a premise that would allow lots of different kinds of people of color to have a place where they flourish and are at the center stage rather than being in addition to, or as a noble savage or something that was bolted on to the side [of a Euro-centric universe]. It is an expansive sci-fi epic.
One of the most interesting aspects of the Mother Lands universe is that it is a living, narrative space that is actively being explored on a weekly basis through an ongoing actual play campaign. The cast includes DePass as well as Eugenio Vargas, Krystina Arielle, Deejay Knight, Michael Sinclair II, and Aabria Iyengar who was recently revealed as the new Dungeon Master for Critical Role.
With an actual play, we can bring our characters that people have gotten to know now over a season and a half, into the book, into the game world as [non-player characters], DePass said. You can have him in your game [...] and then, once the book is out, we can go, Okay, well, maybe we wrap this storyline that were telling, do a new season, then we do all new characters. There will be a lot more to choose from, there will be a lot more that we can show people.
This isnt DePass first actual play series. She is a founding member of Rivals of Waterdeep, set in the Forgotten Realms and sponsored by Wizards of the Coast, publishers of the Dungeons & Dragons TTRPG. She and Walters are also members of Black Dice Society, another Wizards-sponsored actual play series that explores the horrific world of Ravenloft. Walters, in addition to being the writer of Dungeons & Dragons: A Darkened Wish comic series, is an experienced game master in his own right.
One quirk of the current crowdfunding campaign is that DePass and her team have not settled on a game system for Mother Lands. D&D, for instance, uses the d20 system, which utilizes 20-sided dice to determine success or failure in-game. The reason for not yet choosing a system, Walters said, is fairly pragmatic.
On the [Mother Lands] show the game is powered by Cortex, Walters said, referring to the gameplay system designed and built by Cam Banks and published by Fandom Tabletop the same company that now owns D&D Beyond. For the system that ends up in the book, honestly, its TBD.
The lack of a set system of mechanics has put off some potential backers, DePass and Walters said. But the decision to launch the campaign without mechanics in place was a strategic one.
It was a business decision, Walters said. The logic of it was actually quite simple. In these negotiations, if we sat down at the table just with an idea and the strength of the Twitch stream, that would get us so far. But also, if we sat down at the table with the success of the Twitch stream and the idea, and also the proof of concept that 1000s of people have already bought it, and also we dont need your money, then thats a very different conversation.
For DePass, however, what kind of dice players ultimately get to roll at the table is largely inconsequential.
That is a small part of it as far as Im concerned, DePass said. You get the overarching story, you get the setting book, and then when you sit down to play, the mechanics literally tell you you succeed or fail on a thing. And its the degree of success or failure. The mechanics drive how you play the game, but to me at least as a player and a [game master] of other systems thats a small component.
Coming from a background performing RPGs online, DePass is most excited about what will happen once her project makes it out into the world and, maybe, even into someone elses actual play series.
It would make me so happy, DePass said. Id probably burst into tears to turn on Twitch and see someone streaming our game.
The Kickstarter campaign for Into The Mother Lands is already successful, having earned more than $250,000 on a $50,000 ask. Delivery of the finished book is expected by September 2022. The campaign runs through June 20.
Continue reading here:
Mother Lands is a tabletop RPG free of slavery and colonialism - Polygon
- CEO of Pfizer arrested, charged with fraud media ... - January 19th, 2022
- Noah Hawley outlines the big themes of his Alien TV show - Winter Is Coming - January 7th, 2022
- Matrix Online may have perished in 2009, but it still exists as a ghost - BollyInside - December 19th, 2021
- Will artificial intelligence achieve godlike power? Wallace B. Henry asks, Who Will Rule the Coming 'Gods'? - Denison Forum - December 19th, 2021
- Vatican Hosts Conference Touching on Transhumanism - December 10th, 2021
- WISekeys Founder and CEO Carlos Moreira was Interviewed by - November 28th, 2021
- Doctor Issues Dire Warning to the ... - Technocracy News - November 28th, 2021
- Vinegar Syndrome Celebrates Black Friday With Secret Title Reveals and 50% Off Most Releases! - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- ECB survey shows euro zone inflation just below goal in 2022 - Yahoo Finance UK - October 30th, 2021
- Succession Returns, with no real people involved - WION - October 21st, 2021
- Proof That The Vaxxed Are No Longer Human - Luciferian ... - October 3rd, 2021
- RUBY 9100M x adidas Originals Ozrah Release Info | HYPEBEAST - October 3rd, 2021
- Ming-Na Wen & SNLs Keith Ian Raywood Reflect On 9/11 At Creative Arts Emmys: Twenty Years Ago Completely Changed Our Lives - Deadline - September 12th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 10th, 2021
- 13 Most Extreme Body Modifications - CBS News - July 27th, 2021
- Klaus Schwab: Great Reset Will Lead to Implantable ... - July 27th, 2021
- Technocrat Millionaire Unlocks Secrets Of The Mind - July 25th, 2021
- Crimson Circle > Library - July 25th, 2021
- Transhuman | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhuman 101: Moderna Declares COVID Vaccine To Be An ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus and the transhuman future - European Academy ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhumanism Is The New Religion Of Technocracy - June 23rd, 2021
- Its A Sin Star Lydia West On Walking Her First Major Red Carpet At The TV BAFTAs - British Vogue - June 11th, 2021
- Twenty years covering people, politics, and protests - rabble.ca - May 11th, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? (You Need to ... - March 21st, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? - The Vaccine ... - March 21st, 2021
- El-Rufai: Clerics can negotiate with bandits -- that's not our job - TheCable - March 21st, 2021
- Falana-led Coalition Urges FG to Ban Foreign Armed Herders - THISDAY Newspapers - February 27th, 2021
- Insecurity: Nigeria working towards amendment of ECOWAS Protocols - Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Herder crisis: Not impossible that non-Nigerian elements are involved - Fayemi - Nairametrics - February 25th, 2021
- It's A Sin cast: meet the unknowns behind 2021's first TV hit - NME.com - February 4th, 2021
- Years and Years - News24 - October 22nd, 2020
- Transhumanism: Meet the cyborgs and biohackers redefining beauty - CNN - May 29th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces $80 million Series A financing to advance gene therapies for highly prevalent serious diseases - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Conscious Evolution | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - April 11th, 2020
- No death and an enhanced life: Is the future transhuman ... - April 11th, 2020
- Inside the Beltway: Voters now leery of media obsession with impeachment - Washington Times - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Saand ki Aankh' Casting Misses the Bulls Eye - The Wire - October 20th, 2019
- On Transhumanism and Why Technology Is Our Silicon Nervous ... - July 21st, 2017
- Cradle on Steam - July 9th, 2017
- Transhumanism just another religion in which man seeks ... - July 7th, 2017
- The Trouble with Transhumanism The Center for Bioethics ... - July 7th, 2017
- Twin Peaks recap: 'The Return: Part 8' - EW.com - June 26th, 2017
- D*Hub | news, interviews, articles about design - June 25th, 2017
- Transhuman Aliens - TV Tropes - June 18th, 2017
- Reel FX Explores Alternate History in Animated Trailer for 'Prey' - Animation World Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- Is neuroscience rediscovering the soul? | Minnesota Public Radio ... - Minnesota Public Radio News - April 7th, 2017
- This dad is a genius biohacker. But he could lose his kids because of it. - Fusion - April 5th, 2017
- 5 Comics You Need To Read Before Seeing The 'Valerian' Movie - moviepilot.com - April 5th, 2017
- Is Neuroscience Rediscovering The Soul? - WBAA - April 5th, 2017
- Warren Ellis resets the WildStorm universe with The Wild Storm #1, check out a preview here - Flickering Myth (blog) - February 17th, 2017
- Library - Transhuman-Shoud 5 - February 10th, 2017
- Ground Zero Breaking News - January 4th, 2017
- Nano-Bots, Mind Control & Trans-Humanism - The Future of ... - November 21st, 2016
- Transhuman (album) - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Transhuman Archives - Page 3 of 8 - Technocracy News - September 20th, 2016
- Alex Jones Depicted as Transhuman Terrorist in New Video ... - June 29th, 2016
- Prison Planet.com Alex Jones Depicted as Transhuman ... - June 27th, 2016
- Latest News | GamerNet.net - May 9th, 2016
- The Futurist: The Top Ten Transhumanist Technologies - May 4th, 2016
- Transhuman Debate 2.0 in SF East Bay | KurzweilAI - May 1st, 2016
- Demon Archives - Comic Archive - May 1st, 2016
- The Coming Hive Mind: Man/Machine Merger and the Global ... - April 29th, 2016
- Transhuman Archives - Page 2 of 4 - Technocracy News - April 9th, 2016
- Transhumanisten | Communicamus, - ergo sum.. - March 5th, 2016
- Transhuman Policy Center Guidelines - February 20th, 2016
- Natasha Vita-More | Transhuman Art - January 4th, 2016
- Genetic Armageddon - John McTernan's Insights - January 3rd, 2016
- Christian Transhumanism - November 1st, 2015
- Transhuman Design | Come with us if you want to play! - October 17th, 2015
- 2014 August Breaking News Mixing Human DNA with Animal DNA ... - September 27th, 2015
- 10 Signs of a Transhuman Future - Zen Gardner - September 25th, 2015
- Transhumanism - Energetic Synthesis - September 22nd, 2015
- Transhumanism news, articles and information: - September 3rd, 2015
- Transhumanism The Final Religion? - disinformation - August 26th, 2015
- The Trials of Transhumanism: Androgyny and the Antichrist - August 18th, 2015
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Transhumanism Cyborgs 2015 ... - August 15th, 2015
- Transhumanism race against humanity theme in "Hybrid World ... - July 29th, 2015