Tanya DePass, founder and director of I Need Diverse Games, a not-for-profit advocacy organization, has brought together a talented group of creatives to launch a new tabletop role-playing game. Mother Lands posits a world far from our Earth that has never known slavery or colonialism. What began as an actual play series on Twitch and YouTube has spawned a new crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter. The ultimate goal is to produce Into The Mother Lands, a sourcebook that will explain the setting and define the games rules.
Polygon sat down with DePass, the creator of the new setting, and lead designer B. Dave Walters to learn more. They explained that the germ of the idea originated in the historical record.
We went back to the African Emperor Mansa Musa, Walters said, referring to the leader of the Mali Empire, an Islamic West African state which Musa I ruled during the 14th century. He was arguably the wealthiest man in history, who really existed and who sent a fleet to the New World. [...] For our story, this fleet departed and, through a mechanism that is yet to be revealed within the narrative, were transported to another planet.
Over the next 2,000 years, that small exploratory fleet became the Musalians, a human civilization sharing an exoplanet called Vutoa with multiple other humanoid alien species Hyena-like humanoids, transhuman cyborgs, human-plant hybrids, and powerful mind-reading symbiotes. DePass said that the setting draws its inspiration from both the Star Trek franchise and Marvels Black Panther.
Its an original Afrofuturist TTRPG, Walters said. It is a science fiction universe where there is no colonialism. There is no expansionist rhetoric. That is not the root cause of the action.
Instead, the Musalians and Vutoas existing populations coexist all around the planet, in high-tech urban centers as well as strange alien landscapes. When conflict does arise, its often about two or more groups competing for scarce resources.
We wanted to do something different, where diversity was a foundational idea, Walters said. Black excellence was a foundational idea, so we came up with a premise that would allow lots of different kinds of people of color to have a place where they flourish and are at the center stage rather than being in addition to, or as a noble savage or something that was bolted on to the side [of a Euro-centric universe]. It is an expansive sci-fi epic.
One of the most interesting aspects of the Mother Lands universe is that it is a living, narrative space that is actively being explored on a weekly basis through an ongoing actual play campaign. The cast includes DePass as well as Eugenio Vargas, Krystina Arielle, Deejay Knight, Michael Sinclair II, and Aabria Iyengar who was recently revealed as the new Dungeon Master for Critical Role.
With an actual play, we can bring our characters that people have gotten to know now over a season and a half, into the book, into the game world as [non-player characters], DePass said. You can have him in your game [...] and then, once the book is out, we can go, Okay, well, maybe we wrap this storyline that were telling, do a new season, then we do all new characters. There will be a lot more to choose from, there will be a lot more that we can show people.
This isnt DePass first actual play series. She is a founding member of Rivals of Waterdeep, set in the Forgotten Realms and sponsored by Wizards of the Coast, publishers of the Dungeons & Dragons TTRPG. She and Walters are also members of Black Dice Society, another Wizards-sponsored actual play series that explores the horrific world of Ravenloft. Walters, in addition to being the writer of Dungeons & Dragons: A Darkened Wish comic series, is an experienced game master in his own right.
One quirk of the current crowdfunding campaign is that DePass and her team have not settled on a game system for Mother Lands. D&D, for instance, uses the d20 system, which utilizes 20-sided dice to determine success or failure in-game. The reason for not yet choosing a system, Walters said, is fairly pragmatic.
On the [Mother Lands] show the game is powered by Cortex, Walters said, referring to the gameplay system designed and built by Cam Banks and published by Fandom Tabletop the same company that now owns D&D Beyond. For the system that ends up in the book, honestly, its TBD.
The lack of a set system of mechanics has put off some potential backers, DePass and Walters said. But the decision to launch the campaign without mechanics in place was a strategic one.
It was a business decision, Walters said. The logic of it was actually quite simple. In these negotiations, if we sat down at the table just with an idea and the strength of the Twitch stream, that would get us so far. But also, if we sat down at the table with the success of the Twitch stream and the idea, and also the proof of concept that 1000s of people have already bought it, and also we dont need your money, then thats a very different conversation.
For DePass, however, what kind of dice players ultimately get to roll at the table is largely inconsequential.
That is a small part of it as far as Im concerned, DePass said. You get the overarching story, you get the setting book, and then when you sit down to play, the mechanics literally tell you you succeed or fail on a thing. And its the degree of success or failure. The mechanics drive how you play the game, but to me at least as a player and a [game master] of other systems thats a small component.
Coming from a background performing RPGs online, DePass is most excited about what will happen once her project makes it out into the world and, maybe, even into someone elses actual play series.
It would make me so happy, DePass said. Id probably burst into tears to turn on Twitch and see someone streaming our game.
The Kickstarter campaign for Into The Mother Lands is already successful, having earned more than $250,000 on a $50,000 ask. Delivery of the finished book is expected by September 2022. The campaign runs through June 20.
Continue reading here:
Mother Lands is a tabletop RPG free of slavery and colonialism - Polygon
- WISeKey Strengthens its Technology Portfolio Across Cybersecurity, IoT, NFT and the Metaverse ... - Ottumwacourier - August 10th, 2022
- Madison writer Meghan O'Gieblyn explores the connection between technology and religion - Isthmus - August 10th, 2022
- What Happened to Royce White? Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 10th, 2022
- The "resurrection" of the dead pigs, the promise of progress and the source of questions - - News84Media.com - August 10th, 2022
- Letter: Criticism of school district plan misleading | Letters To The Editor | newburyportnews.com - The Daily News of Newburyport - July 27th, 2022
- 12 Best Sci-Fi Games On PS4 And PS5 - Tech News Today - July 27th, 2022
- Mutants are Coming to the MCU, But Where Does Krakoa Fit In? - Gizmodo - July 27th, 2022
- Transhumanism to humankind's rescue? A new book claims we face a 'make or break' century, so let the technological remake begin - Genetic Literacy... - July 27th, 2022
- All Posts - Latest News - McAllisterTV - July 9th, 2022
- Chile Bans Discrimination Against Mutants and Genetically Altered ... - July 9th, 2022
- Biden Proves Soaring Gas Prices Are Intentional To Transition To ... - July 9th, 2022
- The Most Powerful Characters In The Boys Ranked - /Film - July 9th, 2022
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Just Showcased One Of Its Most Effective Metaphors Yet - /Film - June 20th, 2022
- Fear-extinction and the end of self-loathing in the metaverse - TNW - June 20th, 2022
- FDA Making COVID Vax Decision Based on a Study of 10 - Verve Times - June 20th, 2022
- 2022-05-16 | NDAQ:WKEY | Press Release | WISeKey International Holding AG - Stockhouse - May 21st, 2022
- Russian Colonel threatens Elon Musk, says you will be accountable - Euro Weekly News - May 11th, 2022
- Venice Biennale 2022: Man's relationship with the planet gets surreal - Euronews - April 25th, 2022
- Venice Biennale 2022: the worst art on show in the city - Art Newspaper - April 25th, 2022
- Who is Kwan Ha in the Halo show? Here's the character's story - Win.gg - April 11th, 2022
- Top 20 Companies That Rule The Web - technocracy.news - March 29th, 2022
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre reveal new album is on the way | Gigwise - Gigwise - March 27th, 2022
- WEF Global Risks Report 2022 Imagines ... - technocracy.news - February 17th, 2022
- Major LGBTQ+ organisations spark international review of the EHRC - Stonewall - February 17th, 2022
- Government to set up Military Base in the Afram Plains - GhanaWeb - February 17th, 2022
- The platform for a transhuman future: LABORATORY ... - February 7th, 2022
- X22Reports: The Storm is Upon Us, Green ... - Before It's News - February 3rd, 2022
- When hateful words arrive at the door - TheRecord.com - February 3rd, 2022
- Alert over killings of human rights defenders and journalists in the Americas in first month of 2022 - Amnesty International - February 3rd, 2022
- The best of Manfred Thierry Mugler's theatrical, otherworldly fashion - i-D - January 28th, 2022
- CEO of Pfizer arrested, charged with fraud media ... - January 19th, 2022
- Noah Hawley outlines the big themes of his Alien TV show - Winter Is Coming - January 7th, 2022
- Matrix Online may have perished in 2009, but it still exists as a ghost - BollyInside - December 19th, 2021
- Will artificial intelligence achieve godlike power? Wallace B. Henry asks, Who Will Rule the Coming 'Gods'? - Denison Forum - December 19th, 2021
- Vatican Hosts Conference Touching on Transhumanism - December 10th, 2021
- WISekeys Founder and CEO Carlos Moreira was Interviewed by - November 28th, 2021
- Doctor Issues Dire Warning to the ... - Technocracy News - November 28th, 2021
- Vinegar Syndrome Celebrates Black Friday With Secret Title Reveals and 50% Off Most Releases! - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- ECB survey shows euro zone inflation just below goal in 2022 - Yahoo Finance UK - October 30th, 2021
- Succession Returns, with no real people involved - WION - October 21st, 2021
- Proof That The Vaxxed Are No Longer Human - Luciferian ... - October 3rd, 2021
- RUBY 9100M x adidas Originals Ozrah Release Info | HYPEBEAST - October 3rd, 2021
- Ming-Na Wen & SNLs Keith Ian Raywood Reflect On 9/11 At Creative Arts Emmys: Twenty Years Ago Completely Changed Our Lives - Deadline - September 12th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 10th, 2021
- 13 Most Extreme Body Modifications - CBS News - July 27th, 2021
- Klaus Schwab: Great Reset Will Lead to Implantable ... - July 27th, 2021
- Technocrat Millionaire Unlocks Secrets Of The Mind - July 25th, 2021
- Crimson Circle > Library - July 25th, 2021
- Transhuman | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhuman 101: Moderna Declares COVID Vaccine To Be An ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus and the transhuman future - European Academy ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhumanism Is The New Religion Of Technocracy - June 23rd, 2021
- Its A Sin Star Lydia West On Walking Her First Major Red Carpet At The TV BAFTAs - British Vogue - June 11th, 2021
- Twenty years covering people, politics, and protests - rabble.ca - May 11th, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? (You Need to ... - March 21st, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? - The Vaccine ... - March 21st, 2021
- El-Rufai: Clerics can negotiate with bandits -- that's not our job - TheCable - March 21st, 2021
- Falana-led Coalition Urges FG to Ban Foreign Armed Herders - THISDAY Newspapers - February 27th, 2021
- Insecurity: Nigeria working towards amendment of ECOWAS Protocols - Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Herder crisis: Not impossible that non-Nigerian elements are involved - Fayemi - Nairametrics - February 25th, 2021
- It's A Sin cast: meet the unknowns behind 2021's first TV hit - NME.com - February 4th, 2021
- Years and Years - News24 - October 22nd, 2020
- Transhumanism: Meet the cyborgs and biohackers redefining beauty - CNN - May 29th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces $80 million Series A financing to advance gene therapies for highly prevalent serious diseases - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Conscious Evolution | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - April 11th, 2020
- No death and an enhanced life: Is the future transhuman ... - April 11th, 2020
- Inside the Beltway: Voters now leery of media obsession with impeachment - Washington Times - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Saand ki Aankh' Casting Misses the Bulls Eye - The Wire - October 20th, 2019
- On Transhumanism and Why Technology Is Our Silicon Nervous ... - July 21st, 2017
- Cradle on Steam - July 9th, 2017
- Transhumanism just another religion in which man seeks ... - July 7th, 2017
- The Trouble with Transhumanism The Center for Bioethics ... - July 7th, 2017
- Twin Peaks recap: 'The Return: Part 8' - EW.com - June 26th, 2017
- D*Hub | news, interviews, articles about design - June 25th, 2017
- Transhuman Aliens - TV Tropes - June 18th, 2017
- Reel FX Explores Alternate History in Animated Trailer for 'Prey' - Animation World Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- Is neuroscience rediscovering the soul? | Minnesota Public Radio ... - Minnesota Public Radio News - April 7th, 2017
- This dad is a genius biohacker. But he could lose his kids because of it. - Fusion - April 5th, 2017