With films about the symbiosis of man and machine like Transcendence and Her, Hollywoods had an epiphany: to be human is to be transhuman. Jason Silva is the creator of Shots of Awe, the digital web series that has rattled the brains of millions online, the Emmy-nominated host of Brain Games, and he also was a featured speaker with Bryan Cranston and Aaron Sorkin at the Tribeca Film Festvals Future of Film series.
Transcendence, starring Johnny Depp, is the latest in a series of Hollywood films with what you might call a transhumanist flair. Other recent movies exploring the symbiosis of man and machine and our relationship with technology include the Robocop remake and Her.
What we are seeing is the mainstream finally flirting with some of the headiest ideas in the history of the world, reflecting our need to grapple with the implications of a world sustained by increasingly powerful technologies, and a redefinition of what it means to be human.
I suppose the main argument goes like this: We are no longer subject to Darwinian natural selection. Exponentially powerful technologies are transforming our sphere of possibilities. What it means to be human is up for grabs. We have taken the reigns of natural selection to become the chief agents of the evolutionary process. And now we have the responsibility to steer the starship, as Bucky Fuller would say.
Consider the words of X Prize founder Peter Diamandis who reminds us in his TED talk that more change has occurred in the last 100 years than in the last billion. Or the words of Ray Kurzweil, described as the ultimate thinking machine, who tells us that the supercomputer in your pocket (you call it a smartphone) is a million times smaller, a million times cheaper, and a thousand times more powerful than what used to be a 60 million dollar supercomputer that was half a building in size 40 years go.
What happens in 25 years where those continuing exponential advancements become blood-cell sized devices interfacing with our neurons further extending our intelligence? Or when the full flourishing of biotechnology turns biology into our new canvas that can be upgraded the way you upgrade your smartphone today? Imagine downloading a new wetware patch to fix an illness, or programming your genes to radically extend your lifespan. Stewart Brand, the creator of the Whole Earth Catalog, perhaps said it best: We are as gods and might as well get good at it.
But this is nothing new. Weve been transcending our limits and redefining who we are since the advent of stone tools and the emergence of language.
Language is perhaps the most powerful information technology of all, it allowed for a new replicator to enter the scene. When Richard Dawkins coined the term memes, he described a new agent of evolution: Ideas. Ideas were not made of DNA, but they still contained information, and language allowed us to encode and transmit this information, birthing human culture, a new evolutionary force, with the power to create and to destroy on a scale never seen before.
Shakespeare was on it when he wrote: We know what we are, we know not what we may be.
I often tell people that transhumanism is the ideal response to the human situation and has become our self-defining attribute: which is to say that humans define themselves by their capacity to extend their cognitive boundaries through the use of tools. Technology is how we impregnate the world with mind, it is how we extend the reach of our consciousness, how we extend our agency, it is Crowleys magic, defined as Willed Intent.
As maverick thinker, inventor, and futurist Kurzweil tells us, from the very moment early humans picked up a stick and used it to reach a fruit on a tree, we have been using technology to extend our reach.
The cognitive philosophers Andy Clark and David Chalmers have written about the need to make a cognitive leap, to transcend our skin-bag bias, and realize that technology is our second skin, our exoskeleton: iPhone therefore I am, one might say.
We didnt stay in the caves, we havent stayed on the planet, and soon with the biotech revolution, we wont stay within the limitations of biology.
Get The Beast In Your Inbox!
Start and finish your day with the top stories from The Daily Beast.
A speedy, smart summary of all the news you need to know (and nothing you don't).
You are now subscribed to the Daily Digest and Cheat Sheet. We will not share your email with anyone for any reason.
Technology is the embodiment of human imagination, it is the manifestation of our mental models. It is our extended self, our silicon nervous system.
As psychedelic guru Terence McKenna wrote, Through electronic circuitry and the building of a global information system, we are essentially exteriorizing our nervous system.
And why do we do this? To defy mortality. To extend our reach.
Ernest Beckers marvelous Pulitzer Prize winning book, The Denial of Death, distills the human situation down to the fact that we are unique in the animal kingdom in our explicit awareness of mortality. This unbearable realization riddles us with a paralyzing existential anxiety that we need to do something with, and quickly.
With this, he cites three historical solutions to the death problem, three psychological defense mechanisms man has employed against his mortal coil: religion, romantic love, and creativity.
The religious narrative resolved our death anxiety through faith in an afterlife. Except everyone still dies.
The romantic solution deified our lovers so that we have become purged through a perfect consummation with perfection itself. Love saves us. Or so we think.
Finally, the creative solution manifests itself in our engineering, our science, our space stations and cities, jetliners and iPhones.. The creative solution is how we actually transform and transcend our limitations.
To be human is to be transhuman.
We subvert our limitations with our engineering prowess. We literally think up new possibilities into existence. Manifold the wonders, said Sophocles, nothing towers more wondrous than man!
McKenna continues, airplanes, automobiles, space shuttles, space colonies, starships are as Mircea Eliade said, self-transforming images of flight that speak volumes about mans aspiration to self-transcendence.
Kurzweil is known for his view on the technological singularity, a moment in which man transcends his biological limits. He now works in artificial intelligence at Google. His job is to help create a sentient mind, a thinking machine This threshold, once achieved, promised to free man of his biological shacklesafter that, we spread into the universe, as Kurzweil sums up:
It turns out that we are central, after all. Our ability to create modelsvirtual realitiesin our brains, combined with our modest-looking thumbs, has been sufficient to usher in another form of evolution: technology. That development enabled the persistence of the accelerating pace that started with biological evolution. It will continue until the entire universe is at our fingertips.
Read the rest here:
On Transhumanism and Why Technology Is Our Silicon Nervous ...
- CEO of Pfizer arrested, charged with fraud media ... - January 19th, 2022
- Noah Hawley outlines the big themes of his Alien TV show - Winter Is Coming - January 7th, 2022
- Matrix Online may have perished in 2009, but it still exists as a ghost - BollyInside - December 19th, 2021
- Will artificial intelligence achieve godlike power? Wallace B. Henry asks, Who Will Rule the Coming 'Gods'? - Denison Forum - December 19th, 2021
- Vatican Hosts Conference Touching on Transhumanism - December 10th, 2021
- WISekeys Founder and CEO Carlos Moreira was Interviewed by - November 28th, 2021
- Doctor Issues Dire Warning to the ... - Technocracy News - November 28th, 2021
- Vinegar Syndrome Celebrates Black Friday With Secret Title Reveals and 50% Off Most Releases! - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- ECB survey shows euro zone inflation just below goal in 2022 - Yahoo Finance UK - October 30th, 2021
- Succession Returns, with no real people involved - WION - October 21st, 2021
- Proof That The Vaxxed Are No Longer Human - Luciferian ... - October 3rd, 2021
- RUBY 9100M x adidas Originals Ozrah Release Info | HYPEBEAST - October 3rd, 2021
- Ming-Na Wen & SNLs Keith Ian Raywood Reflect On 9/11 At Creative Arts Emmys: Twenty Years Ago Completely Changed Our Lives - Deadline - September 12th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 10th, 2021
- 13 Most Extreme Body Modifications - CBS News - July 27th, 2021
- Klaus Schwab: Great Reset Will Lead to Implantable ... - July 27th, 2021
- Technocrat Millionaire Unlocks Secrets Of The Mind - July 25th, 2021
- Crimson Circle > Library - July 25th, 2021
- Transhuman | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhuman 101: Moderna Declares COVID Vaccine To Be An ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus and the transhuman future - European Academy ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhumanism Is The New Religion Of Technocracy - June 23rd, 2021
- Its A Sin Star Lydia West On Walking Her First Major Red Carpet At The TV BAFTAs - British Vogue - June 11th, 2021
- Mother Lands is a tabletop RPG free of slavery and colonialism - Polygon - June 11th, 2021
- Twenty years covering people, politics, and protests - rabble.ca - May 11th, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? (You Need to ... - March 21st, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? - The Vaccine ... - March 21st, 2021
- El-Rufai: Clerics can negotiate with bandits -- that's not our job - TheCable - March 21st, 2021
- Falana-led Coalition Urges FG to Ban Foreign Armed Herders - THISDAY Newspapers - February 27th, 2021
- Insecurity: Nigeria working towards amendment of ECOWAS Protocols - Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Herder crisis: Not impossible that non-Nigerian elements are involved - Fayemi - Nairametrics - February 25th, 2021
- It's A Sin cast: meet the unknowns behind 2021's first TV hit - NME.com - February 4th, 2021
- Years and Years - News24 - October 22nd, 2020
- Transhumanism: Meet the cyborgs and biohackers redefining beauty - CNN - May 29th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces $80 million Series A financing to advance gene therapies for highly prevalent serious diseases - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Conscious Evolution | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - April 11th, 2020
- No death and an enhanced life: Is the future transhuman ... - April 11th, 2020
- Inside the Beltway: Voters now leery of media obsession with impeachment - Washington Times - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Saand ki Aankh' Casting Misses the Bulls Eye - The Wire - October 20th, 2019
- Cradle on Steam - July 9th, 2017
- Transhumanism just another religion in which man seeks ... - July 7th, 2017
- The Trouble with Transhumanism The Center for Bioethics ... - July 7th, 2017
- Twin Peaks recap: 'The Return: Part 8' - EW.com - June 26th, 2017
- D*Hub | news, interviews, articles about design - June 25th, 2017
- Transhuman Aliens - TV Tropes - June 18th, 2017
- Reel FX Explores Alternate History in Animated Trailer for 'Prey' - Animation World Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- Is neuroscience rediscovering the soul? | Minnesota Public Radio ... - Minnesota Public Radio News - April 7th, 2017
- This dad is a genius biohacker. But he could lose his kids because of it. - Fusion - April 5th, 2017
- 5 Comics You Need To Read Before Seeing The 'Valerian' Movie - moviepilot.com - April 5th, 2017
- Is Neuroscience Rediscovering The Soul? - WBAA - April 5th, 2017
- Warren Ellis resets the WildStorm universe with The Wild Storm #1, check out a preview here - Flickering Myth (blog) - February 17th, 2017
- Library - Transhuman-Shoud 5 - February 10th, 2017
- Ground Zero Breaking News - January 4th, 2017
- Nano-Bots, Mind Control & Trans-Humanism - The Future of ... - November 21st, 2016
- Transhuman (album) - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Transhuman Archives - Page 3 of 8 - Technocracy News - September 20th, 2016
- Alex Jones Depicted as Transhuman Terrorist in New Video ... - June 29th, 2016
- Prison Planet.com Alex Jones Depicted as Transhuman ... - June 27th, 2016
- Latest News | GamerNet.net - May 9th, 2016
- The Futurist: The Top Ten Transhumanist Technologies - May 4th, 2016
- Transhuman Debate 2.0 in SF East Bay | KurzweilAI - May 1st, 2016
- Demon Archives - Comic Archive - May 1st, 2016
- The Coming Hive Mind: Man/Machine Merger and the Global ... - April 29th, 2016
- Transhuman Archives - Page 2 of 4 - Technocracy News - April 9th, 2016
- Transhumanisten | Communicamus, - ergo sum.. - March 5th, 2016
- Transhuman Policy Center Guidelines - February 20th, 2016
- Natasha Vita-More | Transhuman Art - January 4th, 2016
- Genetic Armageddon - John McTernan's Insights - January 3rd, 2016
- Christian Transhumanism - November 1st, 2015
- Transhuman Design | Come with us if you want to play! - October 17th, 2015
- 2014 August Breaking News Mixing Human DNA with Animal DNA ... - September 27th, 2015
- 10 Signs of a Transhuman Future - Zen Gardner - September 25th, 2015
- Transhumanism - Energetic Synthesis - September 22nd, 2015
- Transhumanism news, articles and information: - September 3rd, 2015
- Transhumanism The Final Religion? - disinformation - August 26th, 2015
- The Trials of Transhumanism: Androgyny and the Antichrist - August 18th, 2015
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Transhumanism Cyborgs 2015 ... - August 15th, 2015
- Transhumanism race against humanity theme in "Hybrid World ... - July 29th, 2015