With films about the symbiosis of man and machine like Transcendence and Her, Hollywoods had an epiphany: to be human is to be transhuman. Jason Silva is the creator of Shots of Awe, the digital web series that has rattled the brains of millions online, the Emmy-nominated host of Brain Games, and he also was a featured speaker with Bryan Cranston and Aaron Sorkin at the Tribeca Film Festvals Future of Film series.
Transcendence, starring Johnny Depp, is the latest in a series of Hollywood films with what you might call a transhumanist flair. Other recent movies exploring the symbiosis of man and machine and our relationship with technology include the Robocop remake and Her.
What we are seeing is the mainstream finally flirting with some of the headiest ideas in the history of the world, reflecting our need to grapple with the implications of a world sustained by increasingly powerful technologies, and a redefinition of what it means to be human.
I suppose the main argument goes like this: We are no longer subject to Darwinian natural selection. Exponentially powerful technologies are transforming our sphere of possibilities. What it means to be human is up for grabs. We have taken the reigns of natural selection to become the chief agents of the evolutionary process. And now we have the responsibility to steer the starship, as Bucky Fuller would say.
Consider the words of X Prize founder Peter Diamandis who reminds us in his TED talk that more change has occurred in the last 100 years than in the last billion. Or the words of Ray Kurzweil, described as the ultimate thinking machine, who tells us that the supercomputer in your pocket (you call it a smartphone) is a million times smaller, a million times cheaper, and a thousand times more powerful than what used to be a 60 million dollar supercomputer that was half a building in size 40 years go.
What happens in 25 years where those continuing exponential advancements become blood-cell sized devices interfacing with our neurons further extending our intelligence? Or when the full flourishing of biotechnology turns biology into our new canvas that can be upgraded the way you upgrade your smartphone today? Imagine downloading a new wetware patch to fix an illness, or programming your genes to radically extend your lifespan. Stewart Brand, the creator of the Whole Earth Catalog, perhaps said it best: We are as gods and might as well get good at it.
But this is nothing new. Weve been transcending our limits and redefining who we are since the advent of stone tools and the emergence of language.
Language is perhaps the most powerful information technology of all, it allowed for a new replicator to enter the scene. When Richard Dawkins coined the term memes, he described a new agent of evolution: Ideas. Ideas were not made of DNA, but they still contained information, and language allowed us to encode and transmit this information, birthing human culture, a new evolutionary force, with the power to create and to destroy on a scale never seen before.
Shakespeare was on it when he wrote: We know what we are, we know not what we may be.
I often tell people that transhumanism is the ideal response to the human situation and has become our self-defining attribute: which is to say that humans define themselves by their capacity to extend their cognitive boundaries through the use of tools. Technology is how we impregnate the world with mind, it is how we extend the reach of our consciousness, how we extend our agency, it is Crowleys magic, defined as Willed Intent.
As maverick thinker, inventor, and futurist Kurzweil tells us, from the very moment early humans picked up a stick and used it to reach a fruit on a tree, we have been using technology to extend our reach.
The cognitive philosophers Andy Clark and David Chalmers have written about the need to make a cognitive leap, to transcend our skin-bag bias, and realize that technology is our second skin, our exoskeleton: iPhone therefore I am, one might say.
We didnt stay in the caves, we havent stayed on the planet, and soon with the biotech revolution, we wont stay within the limitations of biology.
Get The Beast In Your Inbox!
Start and finish your day with the top stories from The Daily Beast.
A speedy, smart summary of all the news you need to know (and nothing you don't).
You are now subscribed to the Daily Digest and Cheat Sheet. We will not share your email with anyone for any reason.
Technology is the embodiment of human imagination, it is the manifestation of our mental models. It is our extended self, our silicon nervous system.
As psychedelic guru Terence McKenna wrote, Through electronic circuitry and the building of a global information system, we are essentially exteriorizing our nervous system.
And why do we do this? To defy mortality. To extend our reach.
Ernest Beckers marvelous Pulitzer Prize winning book, The Denial of Death, distills the human situation down to the fact that we are unique in the animal kingdom in our explicit awareness of mortality. This unbearable realization riddles us with a paralyzing existential anxiety that we need to do something with, and quickly.
With this, he cites three historical solutions to the death problem, three psychological defense mechanisms man has employed against his mortal coil: religion, romantic love, and creativity.
The religious narrative resolved our death anxiety through faith in an afterlife. Except everyone still dies.
The romantic solution deified our lovers so that we have become purged through a perfect consummation with perfection itself. Love saves us. Or so we think.
Finally, the creative solution manifests itself in our engineering, our science, our space stations and cities, jetliners and iPhones.. The creative solution is how we actually transform and transcend our limitations.
To be human is to be transhuman.
We subvert our limitations with our engineering prowess. We literally think up new possibilities into existence. Manifold the wonders, said Sophocles, nothing towers more wondrous than man!
McKenna continues, airplanes, automobiles, space shuttles, space colonies, starships are as Mircea Eliade said, self-transforming images of flight that speak volumes about mans aspiration to self-transcendence.
Kurzweil is known for his view on the technological singularity, a moment in which man transcends his biological limits. He now works in artificial intelligence at Google. His job is to help create a sentient mind, a thinking machine This threshold, once achieved, promised to free man of his biological shacklesafter that, we spread into the universe, as Kurzweil sums up:
It turns out that we are central, after all. Our ability to create modelsvirtual realitiesin our brains, combined with our modest-looking thumbs, has been sufficient to usher in another form of evolution: technology. That development enabled the persistence of the accelerating pace that started with biological evolution. It will continue until the entire universe is at our fingertips.
Read the rest here:
On Transhumanism and Why Technology Is Our Silicon Nervous ...
- Transhuman - Wikipedia - January 23rd, 2023
- The Transhuman Revolution: What it is and How to Prepare for its Arrival - January 23rd, 2023
- Transgender, transhuman: technological advances offer increased choices ... - January 23rd, 2023
- Transhuman - TV Tropes - January 23rd, 2023
- Transhuman code | A new initiative that highlights the growing ... - January 19th, 2023
- Transhumanism: What It Is, and Why It Is So Fundamentally Wrong - January 19th, 2023
- Your Fault: A Climate Crisis Weather Nightmare Before Christmas - January 2nd, 2023
- Martine Rothblatt - Wikipedia - November 25th, 2022
- Red Pill University | Beyond the Matrix - November 25th, 2022
- China Runs Police Outpost In New York City - technocracy.news - November 23rd, 2022
- Trilateral Commission: The secret circle that controls governments - November 23rd, 2022
- Steve Jackson Games Forums - Powered by vBulletin - November 23rd, 2022
- Elon Musk: Here Comes 'Optimus' - technocracy.news - October 28th, 2022
- Biden Builds Transhuman Cyborg Army using Immigrants! - October 28th, 2022
- What Is Transhumanism? - Human Life International - October 23rd, 2022
- Ageing is a technical problem that can be reversed, Dubai Future Forum told - The National - October 15th, 2022
- Ai-Da the robot and the myth of AI - Spiked - October 15th, 2022
- Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam to release a day early in Indian theatres - Ottplay - October 15th, 2022
- WISeKey Strengthens its Technology Portfolio Across Cybersecurity, IoT, NFT and the Metaverse ... - Ottumwacourier - August 10th, 2022
- Madison writer Meghan O'Gieblyn explores the connection between technology and religion - Isthmus - August 10th, 2022
- What Happened to Royce White? Mother Jones - Mother Jones - August 10th, 2022
- The "resurrection" of the dead pigs, the promise of progress and the source of questions - - News84Media.com - August 10th, 2022
- Letter: Criticism of school district plan misleading | Letters To The Editor | newburyportnews.com - The Daily News of Newburyport - July 27th, 2022
- 12 Best Sci-Fi Games On PS4 And PS5 - Tech News Today - July 27th, 2022
- Mutants are Coming to the MCU, But Where Does Krakoa Fit In? - Gizmodo - July 27th, 2022
- Transhumanism to humankind's rescue? A new book claims we face a 'make or break' century, so let the technological remake begin - Genetic Literacy... - July 27th, 2022
- All Posts - Latest News - McAllisterTV - July 9th, 2022
- Chile Bans Discrimination Against Mutants and Genetically Altered ... - July 9th, 2022
- Biden Proves Soaring Gas Prices Are Intentional To Transition To ... - July 9th, 2022
- The Most Powerful Characters In The Boys Ranked - /Film - July 9th, 2022
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Just Showcased One Of Its Most Effective Metaphors Yet - /Film - June 20th, 2022
- Fear-extinction and the end of self-loathing in the metaverse - TNW - June 20th, 2022
- FDA Making COVID Vax Decision Based on a Study of 10 - Verve Times - June 20th, 2022
- 2022-05-16 | NDAQ:WKEY | Press Release | WISeKey International Holding AG - Stockhouse - May 21st, 2022
- Russian Colonel threatens Elon Musk, says you will be accountable - Euro Weekly News - May 11th, 2022
- Venice Biennale 2022: Man's relationship with the planet gets surreal - Euronews - April 25th, 2022
- Venice Biennale 2022: the worst art on show in the city - Art Newspaper - April 25th, 2022
- Who is Kwan Ha in the Halo show? Here's the character's story - Win.gg - April 11th, 2022
- Top 20 Companies That Rule The Web - technocracy.news - March 29th, 2022
- The Brian Jonestown Massacre reveal new album is on the way | Gigwise - Gigwise - March 27th, 2022
- WEF Global Risks Report 2022 Imagines ... - technocracy.news - February 17th, 2022
- Major LGBTQ+ organisations spark international review of the EHRC - Stonewall - February 17th, 2022
- Government to set up Military Base in the Afram Plains - GhanaWeb - February 17th, 2022
- The platform for a transhuman future: LABORATORY ... - February 7th, 2022
- X22Reports: The Storm is Upon Us, Green ... - Before It's News - February 3rd, 2022
- When hateful words arrive at the door - TheRecord.com - February 3rd, 2022
- Alert over killings of human rights defenders and journalists in the Americas in first month of 2022 - Amnesty International - February 3rd, 2022
- The best of Manfred Thierry Mugler's theatrical, otherworldly fashion - i-D - January 28th, 2022
- CEO of Pfizer arrested, charged with fraud media ... - January 19th, 2022
- Noah Hawley outlines the big themes of his Alien TV show - Winter Is Coming - January 7th, 2022
- Matrix Online may have perished in 2009, but it still exists as a ghost - BollyInside - December 19th, 2021
- Will artificial intelligence achieve godlike power? Wallace B. Henry asks, Who Will Rule the Coming 'Gods'? - Denison Forum - December 19th, 2021
- Vatican Hosts Conference Touching on Transhumanism - December 10th, 2021
- WISekeys Founder and CEO Carlos Moreira was Interviewed by - November 28th, 2021
- Doctor Issues Dire Warning to the ... - Technocracy News - November 28th, 2021
- Vinegar Syndrome Celebrates Black Friday With Secret Title Reveals and 50% Off Most Releases! - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- ECB survey shows euro zone inflation just below goal in 2022 - Yahoo Finance UK - October 30th, 2021
- Succession Returns, with no real people involved - WION - October 21st, 2021
- Proof That The Vaxxed Are No Longer Human - Luciferian ... - October 3rd, 2021
- RUBY 9100M x adidas Originals Ozrah Release Info | HYPEBEAST - October 3rd, 2021
- Ming-Na Wen & SNLs Keith Ian Raywood Reflect On 9/11 At Creative Arts Emmys: Twenty Years Ago Completely Changed Our Lives - Deadline - September 12th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 10th, 2021
- 13 Most Extreme Body Modifications - CBS News - July 27th, 2021
- Klaus Schwab: Great Reset Will Lead to Implantable ... - July 27th, 2021
- Technocrat Millionaire Unlocks Secrets Of The Mind - July 25th, 2021
- Crimson Circle > Library - July 25th, 2021
- Transhuman | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhuman 101: Moderna Declares COVID Vaccine To Be An ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus and the transhuman future - European Academy ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhumanism Is The New Religion Of Technocracy - June 23rd, 2021
- Its A Sin Star Lydia West On Walking Her First Major Red Carpet At The TV BAFTAs - British Vogue - June 11th, 2021
- Mother Lands is a tabletop RPG free of slavery and colonialism - Polygon - June 11th, 2021
- Twenty years covering people, politics, and protests - rabble.ca - May 11th, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? (You Need to ... - March 21st, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? - The Vaccine ... - March 21st, 2021
- El-Rufai: Clerics can negotiate with bandits -- that's not our job - TheCable - March 21st, 2021
- Falana-led Coalition Urges FG to Ban Foreign Armed Herders - THISDAY Newspapers - February 27th, 2021
- Insecurity: Nigeria working towards amendment of ECOWAS Protocols - Guardian - February 25th, 2021