The idea that neuroscience is rediscovering the soul is, to most scientists and philosophers, nothing short of outrageous. Of course it is not.
But the widespread, adverse, knee-jerk attitude presupposes the old-fashioned definition of the soul the ethereal, immaterial entity that somehow encapsulates your essence. Surely, this kind of supernatural mumbo-jumbo has no place in modern science. And I agree. The Cartesian separation of body and soul, the res extensa (matter stuff) vs. res cogitans (mind stuff) has long been discarded as untenable in a strictly materialistic description of natural phenomena.
After all, how would something immaterial interact with something material without any exchange of energy? And how would something immaterial whatever that means somehow maintain the essence of who you are beyond your bodily existence?
So, this kind of immaterial soul really presents problems for science, although, as pointed out here recently by Adam Frank, the scientific understanding of matter is not without its challenges.
But what if we revisit the definition of soul, abandoning its canonical meaning as the "spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal" for something more modern? What if we consider your soul as the sum total of your neurocognitive essence, your very specific brain signature, the unique neuronal connections, synapses, and flow of neurotransmitters that makes you you?
Just as we have unique fingerprints, our brains, their "connectome," are also unique. Surely, all brains are made of the same stuff, but wired in very individual ways. Recall that our brains are plastic, and mold themselves according to environmental and emotional inputs the stories of our lives. To this, we must add our bodies and their relation to our brains. For the mind is embodied, the self not an isolated property of what's inside your cranium but an emergent property of your whole mind-body integration as mapped through the complex highways of nerves interlocking all of you.
Consider, then, the modern soul as the unique neuronal-synaptic signature integrating brain and body through a complex electrochemical flow of neurotransmitters. Each person has one, and they are all different. That is, or can be considered, your essence from a materialist perspective.
Once we have this definition of the soul, the next question is inevitable. Can all this be reduced to information, such as to be replicated or uploaded into other-than-you substrates? That is, can we obtain sufficient information about this brain-body map so as to replicate it in other devices, be they machines or cloned biological replicas of your body? This would be, if technologically possible, the scientific equivalent of reincarnation, or of the long-sought redemption from the flesh an idea that is at least as old as organized religions in the East and West (as Mark O'Donnell remarked in his book To Be a Machine, reviewed here).
Well, depending on who you talk to, this final transcendence of human into information is either around the corner a logical step in our evolution or an impossibility a mad dream of people who can't accept the inevitability of death, the transhumanist crowd.
Silicon Valley is taking very seriously the possibility that aging is a technological problem that can be hacked. For example, the website of Google's company Calico states right upfront that its mission is to tackle "aging, one of life's greatest mysteries." The company's approach is more one of prolonging life than of uploading yourself somewhere else, but in the end the key word that unites the different approaches is information. If life is a code written genetically, it can be dealt with, including the instructions for aging. Another Google company, DeepMind, is bent on cracking AI: "Solve intelligence to make the world a better place." Google is approaching the problem of death from both a genetic and a computational perspective. They clearly complement one another. Google is not alone, of course. There are many other companies working on similar projects and research. The race is on.
What to make of this? It's inevitable that science will be at the forefront of the quest to prolong or upload life. This is not a bad thing, per se, given that the knowledge this research will surely produce will open new pathways to healthier, longer lives. Accepting death is a hard pill to swallow, the hardest. As I wrote elsewhere, referring to my family in this context: "Every day I have to love them is one less day I have to love them."
However, the possibility of extending life indefinitely also raises all sorts of moral and social questions, and possibly a lot of pain and loss. The curse of the immortal is to lose everyone he loves. Unless everyone jumps in. But how reasonable is this assumption? Who will benefit from these technologies? The very wealthy? The select few that have access to them? What of the rest of society? Would we end up creating a dual species of beings, humans and transhuman demi-gods? Would there be mutual tolerance and respect? I can imagine all sorts of sci-fi scenarios unfolding, utopic and dystopic.
Meanwhile, while the quest for immortality continues, what we can do is eat well, exercise, and try to live a life of meaning, leaving the world a better place than how we found it. Or, perhaps, for some in the future, never leaving it at all.
Marcelo Gleiser is a theoretical physicist and writer and a professor of natural philosophy, physics and astronomy at Dartmouth College. He is the director of the Institute for Cross-Disciplinary Engagement at Dartmouth, co-founder of 13.7 and an active promoter of science to the general public. His latest book is The Simple Beauty of the Unexpected: A Natural Philosopher's Quest for Trout and the Meaning of Everything. You can keep up with Marcelo on Facebook and Twitter: @mgleiser
Is Neuroscience Rediscovering The Soul? - WBAA
- The best of Manfred Thierry Mugler's theatrical, otherworldly fashion - i-D - January 28th, 2022
- CEO of Pfizer arrested, charged with fraud media ... - January 19th, 2022
- Noah Hawley outlines the big themes of his Alien TV show - Winter Is Coming - January 7th, 2022
- Matrix Online may have perished in 2009, but it still exists as a ghost - BollyInside - December 19th, 2021
- Will artificial intelligence achieve godlike power? Wallace B. Henry asks, Who Will Rule the Coming 'Gods'? - Denison Forum - December 19th, 2021
- Vatican Hosts Conference Touching on Transhumanism - December 10th, 2021
- WISekeys Founder and CEO Carlos Moreira was Interviewed by - November 28th, 2021
- Doctor Issues Dire Warning to the ... - Technocracy News - November 28th, 2021
- Vinegar Syndrome Celebrates Black Friday With Secret Title Reveals and 50% Off Most Releases! - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- The Horror Movies Coming to Netflix in December Include 'Tremors' and the 'Final Destination' Films - Bloody Disgusting - November 27th, 2021
- ECB survey shows euro zone inflation just below goal in 2022 - Yahoo Finance UK - October 30th, 2021
- Succession Returns, with no real people involved - WION - October 21st, 2021
- Proof That The Vaxxed Are No Longer Human - Luciferian ... - October 3rd, 2021
- RUBY 9100M x adidas Originals Ozrah Release Info | HYPEBEAST - October 3rd, 2021
- Ming-Na Wen & SNLs Keith Ian Raywood Reflect On 9/11 At Creative Arts Emmys: Twenty Years Ago Completely Changed Our Lives - Deadline - September 12th, 2021
- Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding Altos Labs, a new anti-ageing venture aiming to cheat death - Screen Shot - September 10th, 2021
- 13 Most Extreme Body Modifications - CBS News - July 27th, 2021
- Klaus Schwab: Great Reset Will Lead to Implantable ... - July 27th, 2021
- Technocrat Millionaire Unlocks Secrets Of The Mind - July 25th, 2021
- Crimson Circle > Library - July 25th, 2021
- Transhuman | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhuman 101: Moderna Declares COVID Vaccine To Be An ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Futurist Transhuman News Blog - euvolution.com - June 23rd, 2021
- Coronavirus and the transhuman future - European Academy ... - June 23rd, 2021
- Transhumanism Is The New Religion Of Technocracy - June 23rd, 2021
- Its A Sin Star Lydia West On Walking Her First Major Red Carpet At The TV BAFTAs - British Vogue - June 11th, 2021
- Mother Lands is a tabletop RPG free of slavery and colonialism - Polygon - June 11th, 2021
- Twenty years covering people, politics, and protests - rabble.ca - May 11th, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? (You Need to ... - March 21st, 2021
- Will New COVID Vaccine Make You Transhuman? - The Vaccine ... - March 21st, 2021
- El-Rufai: Clerics can negotiate with bandits -- that's not our job - TheCable - March 21st, 2021
- Falana-led Coalition Urges FG to Ban Foreign Armed Herders - THISDAY Newspapers - February 27th, 2021
- Insecurity: Nigeria working towards amendment of ECOWAS Protocols - Guardian - February 25th, 2021
- Herder crisis: Not impossible that non-Nigerian elements are involved - Fayemi - Nairametrics - February 25th, 2021
- It's A Sin cast: meet the unknowns behind 2021's first TV hit - NME.com - February 4th, 2021
- Years and Years - News24 - October 22nd, 2020
- Transhumanism: Meet the cyborgs and biohackers redefining beauty - CNN - May 29th, 2020
- Kriya Therapeutics announces $80 million Series A financing to advance gene therapies for highly prevalent serious diseases - PRNewswire - May 17th, 2020
- Conscious Evolution | Futurist Transhuman News Blog - April 11th, 2020
- No death and an enhanced life: Is the future transhuman ... - April 11th, 2020
- Inside the Beltway: Voters now leery of media obsession with impeachment - Washington Times - November 23rd, 2019
- 'Saand ki Aankh' Casting Misses the Bulls Eye - The Wire - October 20th, 2019
- On Transhumanism and Why Technology Is Our Silicon Nervous ... - July 21st, 2017
- Cradle on Steam - July 9th, 2017
- Transhumanism just another religion in which man seeks ... - July 7th, 2017
- The Trouble with Transhumanism The Center for Bioethics ... - July 7th, 2017
- Twin Peaks recap: 'The Return: Part 8' - EW.com - June 26th, 2017
- D*Hub | news, interviews, articles about design - June 25th, 2017
- Transhuman Aliens - TV Tropes - June 18th, 2017
- Reel FX Explores Alternate History in Animated Trailer for 'Prey' - Animation World Network (press release) (registration) (blog) - May 9th, 2017
- Is neuroscience rediscovering the soul? | Minnesota Public Radio ... - Minnesota Public Radio News - April 7th, 2017
- This dad is a genius biohacker. But he could lose his kids because of it. - Fusion - April 5th, 2017
- 5 Comics You Need To Read Before Seeing The 'Valerian' Movie - moviepilot.com - April 5th, 2017
- Warren Ellis resets the WildStorm universe with The Wild Storm #1, check out a preview here - Flickering Myth (blog) - February 17th, 2017
- Library - Transhuman-Shoud 5 - February 10th, 2017
- Ground Zero Breaking News - January 4th, 2017
- Nano-Bots, Mind Control & Trans-Humanism - The Future of ... - November 21st, 2016
- Transhuman (album) - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Transhuman Archives - Page 3 of 8 - Technocracy News - September 20th, 2016
- Alex Jones Depicted as Transhuman Terrorist in New Video ... - June 29th, 2016
- Prison Planet.com Alex Jones Depicted as Transhuman ... - June 27th, 2016
- Latest News | GamerNet.net - May 9th, 2016
- The Futurist: The Top Ten Transhumanist Technologies - May 4th, 2016
- Transhuman Debate 2.0 in SF East Bay | KurzweilAI - May 1st, 2016
- Demon Archives - Comic Archive - May 1st, 2016
- The Coming Hive Mind: Man/Machine Merger and the Global ... - April 29th, 2016
- Transhuman Archives - Page 2 of 4 - Technocracy News - April 9th, 2016
- Transhumanisten | Communicamus, - ergo sum.. - March 5th, 2016
- Transhuman Policy Center Guidelines - February 20th, 2016
- Natasha Vita-More | Transhuman Art - January 4th, 2016
- Genetic Armageddon - John McTernan's Insights - January 3rd, 2016
- Christian Transhumanism - November 1st, 2015
- Transhuman Design | Come with us if you want to play! - October 17th, 2015
- 2014 August Breaking News Mixing Human DNA with Animal DNA ... - September 27th, 2015
- 10 Signs of a Transhuman Future - Zen Gardner - September 25th, 2015
- Transhumanism - Energetic Synthesis - September 22nd, 2015
- Transhumanism news, articles and information: - September 3rd, 2015
- Transhumanism The Final Religion? - disinformation - August 26th, 2015
- The Trials of Transhumanism: Androgyny and the Antichrist - August 18th, 2015
- Artificial Intelligence Robots Transhumanism Cyborgs 2015 ... - August 15th, 2015