From glamping in space-age sky pods to arctic off-roading in the White Desert.
The idea of wilderness plays a crucial and curious role in the ongoing evolution of travel. Conquering the wild was once central to our pioneer narratives of progress. Nowadays exploring the frontier can take on a myriad of meanings for different travelers. Whether the notion conjures remote lands, or the thrilling prospect of tracking apex predators, here are ways to get your wild onfrom the South Pole to the South Sandwich Islands.
An entirely 21st Century upgrade in travel to the White Continent is finally here, ready to quite literally rock your world and properly blow your mind. White Deserts newest camp, Echo, debuts this December. The new camp is located inland of Antarcticas north coast, three miles from Wolf s Fang, a sister camp that opened in December 2021 on a glacier in Queen Maud Land.
A power player in the sustainable polar travel arena, White Desert is the only luxury hospitality company in the world to fly business jets to Antarctica. Their 9,800-foot runway is exclusively for private jets, either the companys Gulfstream G550, a privately-chartered A340 or those of camp guests, which have included the likes of Prince Harry, Bear Grylls, and Buzz Aldrin.
Echo is the next best thing to a stag party on Mars. Intimately scaled, its ideal for exclusive use by affluent families, C-suite executives, and bachelors gone rogue. On arrival, a welcome cocktail chilled with 10,000-year-old ice awaits in the central lounge.
Accommodating up to 12 explorers in serious style, Echos high-end execution of deliriously thrilling expeditions raises the bar on next-gen pop up possibilities. As with all White Deserts camps on the 7th Continent, Echo is designed to be completely dismantled, leaving no trace on the environment.
Inspired by the golden age of space exploration, the idyllic design of the Sky Pods is striking, to say the least, like superstructures from a parallel multiverse. Futuristic and nostalgic all at once, Echo is quite an aesthetic coup. Six heated pods were created using composite fiberglass with floor-to-ceiling windowslose yourself in the lunar-like landscape from the comfort of your bed. Waking up at Echo, encircled by otherworldly geological formations, feels like youve lifted off the planet without actually leaving Earth.
Each pod features original photography by Colonel Terry Virts, former International Space Station Commander, taken from the ISS. Virts was an early guest with White Desert, and the terrain spectacle clearly made a massive impression. Take it from one of the few astronauts who can legitimately boast this frame of comparative reference; says Virts of the Echo camp landscape, The mountains are the most beautiful I have seen across Earth, Venus and Mars.
Patrick Woodhead, White Desert founder and CEO, tips his hat to pop culture in his latest passion project. The inspiration behind the interiors of Echo Base comes from too many years of watching Star Wars as a kid, says Woodhead.
I loved the 1970s vision of what the future would hold. The real difficulty was trying to get the interior designers to fuse together the retro feel of the Millennium Falcon with the luxury of a boutique retreat! The polar explorercum-camp entrepreneur finds the greatest validation from those whove ventured into orbit, divulging, Weve hosted a couple of astronauts over the years, and hearing them speak about the beauty of the Antarctic landscape is quite something.
Fill your days with as much fat biking, skiing, and Ski-Dooing as you like. Or forge trails in a 44 arctic truck to ice-climbing and mountaineering sites. An expedition to the 28,000-strong Emperor Penguin colony is the peak bucket list moment for most guests. Be sure to avail yourself of the arctic-specific SPF100 on hand at camp or face the high-UV consequences, like the group of Saudi royals, who thought they were immune.
By nightfall, captains of industry sip snifters of Speyside Scotch served from a snow bar sculpted from Jurassic-era ice. A dining room serves up epicurean delights such as savory lamb shank, or velvety tagliatelle in a Parmigiano wheel, no small feat, considering youre carb-loading this close tothe South Pole. Beam us in a hologram of Wonderwall-era Jane Birkin, were hooked. This five-day fantasy can be yours from $780,000, for up to a dozen of your friends.
Nearly a century after the heroics of early Antarctic exploration, the elusive continent remains largely undiscovered. We cant think of a more thrilling frontier than the impassable Weddell Sea and imposing Larsen Ice Shelf. The big buzz on the high seas for the coming Antarctic cruising season? Ponant recently launched Le Commandant-Charcot, the worlds first luxury hybrid electric ice-class vessel, powered by LNG (currently the cleanest fuel on the market).
Le Commandant-Charcot is capable of sailing to parts of the Bellingshausen Sea that have been inaccessible until now. The volcanic Peter I Islandwhere fewer people have visited than have set foot on the moonis suddenly an option, to put this auspicious launch into rather wild perspective. Navigating the route first explored by Jean-Baptiste Charcot in 1909, National Geographic enthusiasts will surely be smitten by the oceanographic laboratory onboard. Far from a mere pleasure cruise, take part in what Ponant dubs participative science by helping to set up a station on an ice floe or taking water samples. Ponant polar itineraries also include the South Sandwich Islands and the Ross Sea.
Our continental frontier remains the Lamar Valleythe Serengeti of North Americain Yellowstone National Park. If wolves are your spirit animal (or just on your boos wish list), the Four Seasons Jackson Hole unveils a new encounter this summer designed to dive deeper into this connection. The resorts partnership with Jackson Hole Wildlife Safaris allows for unrivaled access to view Greater Yellowstones apex predators in prime natural habitats. An expert naturalist guides you in safely tracking and photographing wolves, grizzlies and megafauna in a landscape right out of Jeremiah Johnson.
With Grand Teton and Yellowstone in their backyard, the Four Seasons Jackson Hole boasts a Swiss Army Knife of solutions when it comes to creative expeditions to Willow Flats, Pacific Creek, Hayden Valley within the parksall with an upscale spin. To disappear into the wild at dawn, revel in an emotional epiphany with wolves by dusk (or at least a certain awe), then feast on dry-aged Piedmontese ribeye slathered in black-truffle bone marrow butter is pretty priceless.
If you value lashings of personal attention and handcrafted, five-star meals, nirvana awaits at Westbank Grill, overlooking the resorts base camp. Many of this particular Four Seasons custom experiences are in some way geared towards physical and mental exploration, if not enlightenment. For those short on time, but big on rugged adventure with all the trappings of a posh holiday, this is as good as it gets.
- Tiverton firm making more parachute fabric for Mars - January 25th, 2023
- Goofy Mars Rock Spotted by NASA Rover Might Be a Meteorite - January 17th, 2023
- Mars rover Perseverance spots Ingenuity helicopter resting on sand dune ... - January 17th, 2023
- Newsroom Discovery, Inc. - December 26th, 2022
- Nostradamus' New Year 2023 Predictions: From Cannibalism On Earth And World War 3; Heres Some Shocking Claims Made By The French Astrologer - SpotboyE - December 26th, 2022
- Mars Base Simulation in Poland to Lock People in a Habitat ... - Insider - December 21st, 2022
- Colonizing Mars: Practicing Other Worlds on Earth | Origins - December 21st, 2022
- You Can Build Colonies On Moon, Mars, With Help From... - NDTV - December 16th, 2022
- The death of Twitter has dragged on too long. Please, Elon, put us out of our misery - The Guardian - December 4th, 2022
- Musk trial over Tesla pay package looks considers his attention span and his friendships with board members - Los Angeles Times - November 19th, 2022
- What happens if you grow plants on the Moon? New study shows how they react - Interesting Engineering - October 15th, 2022
- Visualized: The Best Universities in America - Visual Capitalist - October 15th, 2022
- Build and defend a base on an alien world in this surprisingly deep survival sim - PC Gamer - October 15th, 2022
- Elon Musk and ex-lover Grimes believed she was an IMAGINARY character created to be his perfect g... - The US Sun - October 15th, 2022
- SpaceX Mars program - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Human mission to Mars - Wikipedia - October 13th, 2022
- Underground Microbes May Have Existed in Ancient Mars [Study] - Nature World News - October 13th, 2022
- Elon Musk dreams of dying on Marsnow he might be one of the pioneering colonists - Fortune - October 11th, 2022
- Twitter Employees are SHOOK Once Again About Elon Musk's Takeover, Even as the Deal Might Still Fall Through - Barstool Sports - October 11th, 2022
- Exclusive First Preview Garbage Pail Kids: Mad Mike And The Quest For Stale Gum - Game Informer - October 11th, 2022
- Artificial Gravity Lowers Spaceflight's Health Toll on Fruit Flies - Intelligent Living - October 11th, 2022
- Dinner on Mars: How to grow food when humans colonize the red planet - CBC.ca - October 6th, 2022
- Why the Space Race Isn't the Answer to the Climate Crisis - Green Queen Media - October 6th, 2022
- Garbage Pail Kids: Mad Mike And The Quest For Stale Gum coming to consoles and PC as well as the NES - Real Otaku Gamer - October 6th, 2022
- 15 film recommendations for Indy's Heartland Film Festival - IndyStar - October 6th, 2022
- Nasa investigating mystery object that has attached itself to Mars helicopter... - The US Sun - October 6th, 2022
- History mars ties between queen, ex-colony Cyprus - Breitbart - September 20th, 2022
- Mars looks blinding as Webb telescope zooms in on Red Planet for the first time - India Today - September 20th, 2022
- Space cement could be used to build houses on Mars and the Moon - Interesting Engineering - September 20th, 2022
- From space to the third world war, these are Nostradamus's top 5 predictions for 2023 - News Day Express - September 20th, 2022
- More People Need to Watch The Absolute Best Sci-Fi Show on Prime Video - CNET - August 2nd, 2022
- Should We Create a Permanent Base On The Moon? Explorersweb - ExplorersWeb - August 2nd, 2022
- Heres Why NFTs Are Poised To Witness Hypergrowth, Per John G - News Ghana - August 2nd, 2022
- 6/30 Flashback: It's the freakiest show | Fred Clark - Patheos - June 30th, 2022
- WeWork: Or the Making and Breaking of a $47 Billion UnicornThe fantasy of kibbutz capitalism - WSWS - June 30th, 2022
- NASA Astronauts Prepare For Mission To Mars By Spending Year Living In Simulated Colony On Venus - The Onion - June 15th, 2022
- Build on Mars and get rewarded: Mars4 releases their first game demo - AMBCrypto News - June 15th, 2022
- Elon Musk, Mars and the Holy Shechinah - Yated.com - June 15th, 2022
- For The First Time There's A Rocket Capable Of Establishing Permanent Mars And Moon Bases: Elon Musk - Be - Benzinga - June 15th, 2022
- Brokaw: 'For All Mankind' returns for season 3 with focus on Mars - Daily Herald - June 15th, 2022
- Severance and the Work of Philip K. Dick - tor.com - June 15th, 2022
- The UAE is a hub of trade and knowledge - wknd. - June 15th, 2022
- 15 Next Fest Demos That Will Have You Begging For More - Kotaku Australia - June 15th, 2022
- Will Jake Paul's Cryptocurrency Investments Stand The Test Of Time? - FX Empire - June 15th, 2022
- Everyone Wants To Make The Next Limbo - Kotaku - June 15th, 2022
- The BroadsheetDAILY - 6/15/22 - The Madding Crowd: Your Share of Space Downtown Comes to 535 Square Feet - ebroadsheet.com - June 15th, 2022
- Paul Krugman: Musk, Mars and the modern economy - Berkshire Eagle - June 11th, 2022
- For All Mankind sets up a mission to Mars - The A.V. Club - June 11th, 2022
- The Promise of Perseverance NASA Mars Exploration - NASA Mars Exploration - June 11th, 2022
- The social media trial of the century, American energy's biggest threat, and more from Fox News Opinion - Fox News - June 11th, 2022
- A Proclamation on Flag Day And National Flag Week, 2022 - The White House - June 11th, 2022
- 14 Movies Were Excited to See at This Years Tribeca Festival - Variety - June 11th, 2022
- Northeastern's aerospace program on the Seattle campus takes off - Northeastern University - June 11th, 2022
- Interesting facts about Mars that will blow your mind - Interesting Engineering - May 27th, 2022
- How to make buildings in space? Dust from the Moon and Mars can help - WION - May 27th, 2022
- Elon Musk's Hyperloop is possible. How badly do we want it? - Big Think - May 27th, 2022
- Ford Rolls Out Last 'Model T' This Date in 1927 - iHeart - May 27th, 2022
- China's New Space Telescope To Identify New Earth-Like Planets That Can Be Colonized; Here's How CHES Works - Tech Times - May 27th, 2022
- NASA is Building a Mission That Will Refuel and Repair Satellites in Orbit - Universe Today - May 25th, 2022
- Deep Space Travel: What's on the Menu for Astronauts May Well Come from Cultivated Insect Cells - Tufts Now - May 25th, 2022
- In Its 7th and Final Season, 'Riverdale' Will Finally End. In Space - Pajiba Entertainment News - May 21st, 2022
- Mars Colonies Will Need Solar Powerand Nuclear Too - WIRED - May 11th, 2022
- Opinion | What Does Elon Musk Want? Is Twitter the Way to Get It? - The New York Times - May 11th, 2022
- NASA looks to the metaverse to prepare astronauts for living on Mars - TweakTown - May 11th, 2022
- A Sci-Fi Writer Returns to Earth: The Real Story is the One Facing Us. - The New York Times - May 11th, 2022
- Terraforming Mars is now free on Epic Games Store, with Prey next - PC Invasion - May 11th, 2022
- Wealthy nations are carving up space and its riches and leaving other countries behind - Alton Telegraph - May 11th, 2022
- Inside Nasas vision of the future from 47 YEARS ago with humans living in bizarre space tube... - The Sun - May 11th, 2022
- Scientists prepare message to beam into space but say humanity won't survive to hear it - Daily Star - May 11th, 2022
- Building a home on Mars with bacteria? - Space.com - April 25th, 2022
- Surviving Mars To Get New Expansion With Martian Express - Bleeding Cool News - April 25th, 2022
- Russia May Ditch Space Station and Join Chinese to Set up a Permanent Manned Base on Mars - SOFREP - April 25th, 2022
- NASA tracking huge asteroid five times the size of London Eye speeding towards Earth - Daily Star - April 25th, 2022
- This Week In Games Australia - Kotaku Australia - April 17th, 2022
- Elon Musk, tech visionary in the spotlight - Digital Journal - April 17th, 2022
- The Pentagon Just Confirmed the First-Ever Interstellar Visitor to Earth - Popular Mechanics - April 17th, 2022
- Musk Factor Studios goes for the Holy Grail in TEMPLARS CODE - Verve Times - March 31st, 2022
- Mind-blowing plan to build floating cloud cities on Venus revealed by Nasa scientist... - The US Sun - March 31st, 2022
- The Need for Indigenous and Interdisciplinary Perspectives in SETI and Space Sciences - Astrobites - March 31st, 2022
- Superfuse has a new action RPG trailer, combining Diablo with The Boys - Polygon - March 31st, 2022