(Photo : GettlyImages/ Maja Hitij ) SpaceX Elon Musk
SpaceX's Elon Musk talked about his goals for Mars as he engaged with fans on Twitter. Elon Musk is known to launch astronauts to the Moon and develop implants for brain-computer interfaces, and it seems like the SpaceX CEO's imagination has no bounds.
SpaceX's Elon Muskhas made his money firing satellites into the Earth's orbit, but his main goal has always been to go to Mars and have people live there, according toExpress UK.
Musk has always maintained the purpose of his exploits in space is to make sure that humanity becomes a spacefaring civilization.
Musk has invested money and resources into his Starship program to create a fully reusable and interplanetary launch vehicle.
Also Read:Elon Musk Debunks Impression on SpaceX and Mars Mission Origins, Reveals Stand on Caffeine
Mars is the top candidate for an outpost because it is close, easy to reach, and its surface conditions are adequate for human exploration.
The SpaceX and Tesla CEO have now shared some insight into his plans for the Red Planet, telling his fans that the city on Mars could be completed by 2050.
On July 10, Musk was asked onTwitterabout SpaceX's plans for aRaptor factoryin South Texas. Raptors are engines used to power Starship, which is SpaceX's prototype rocket.
Musk said that SpaceX would be "breaking ground" with a second Raptor factory in Texas, and it will focus on producing Raptor 2 engines, while the branch in California will focus on orbital engines and experimental designs, according toDallas Morning News.
A fan on Twitter asked Musk about the volume production he is aiming for and the number of Raptors he wants per year.
Musk then went on to say that SpaceX will pump out thousands of engines until 2022, which should be enough to build a fleet of spacecraft for Mars.
This is not the first time Musk has said that he can set up a city on Mars in 30 years. The billionaire has opened up about the project in the past, revealing his estimates for how much the Mars project will cost.
In 2018, Musk told his Twitter followers that building a city on Mars will cost around $100 million to $10 trillion. One of the challenges, he said, is the cost of shifting large quantities of cargo to the planet.
With very few resources, future Mars colonists will have to take building materials with them. Musk added that his plans to make humanity interplanetary would begin this year, according toAustin American Statesman.
Musk believes that putting humans on Mars will help preserve the human species in case a cosmic cataclysm will wipe us out.
Musk tweeted that about half of his money is intended to help Earth issues and help create a self-sustaining city on Mars to ensure the continuation of life in case Earth gets hit by a meteor or if World War 3 happens.
However, not everyone is convinced that Musk can pull it off, with one expert calling his goals "delusional."
Lord Martin Rees, one of the leading astrophysicists in the United Kindom, thinks that Musk's dream is dangerous and compared it to living on top of Mount Everest.
Related Article:SpaceX CEO Elon Musk Claims Humans Journey to Mars Possible in Three Years as Starship will Be in Automatic Mode By Next Year!
This article is owned by Tech Times
Written by Sophie Webster
2021 TECHTIMES.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.
See the rest here:
- Mars trilogy - Wikipedia - October 15th, 2021
- Month-long Mars colony simulation starts today in an ... - October 15th, 2021
- With award-winning prototype, U of R team brings world a little closer to life on Mars - Globalnews.ca - October 15th, 2021
- Billionaires Should Focus on Saving Earth Not Space Tourism, Says Prince William - autoevolution - October 15th, 2021
- Surviving Mars Update 1.30 Patch Notes - Attack of the Fanboy - October 15th, 2021
- This Asteroid May Be the Shard of a Dead Protoplanetand Have More Metal Than All the Reserves on Earth - Singularity Hub - October 11th, 2021
- BREEZE BOOKS 'How to Mars' follows six space travelers on the journey to the Red Planet - Valley Breeze - September 27th, 2021
- Forget about Mars and the mammoths, we have problems here and now. - Space Bollyinside - BollyInside - September 27th, 2021
- Surviving Mars Update 1.29 Patch Notes - Attack of the Fanboy - September 27th, 2021
- Mars Was Always Limited By Its Small Size To Support Life: Study - Mashable India - September 27th, 2021
- 'Is there oxygen on Mars?', NASA's answer may surprise you - TweakTown - September 27th, 2021
- MIT scientists create glow-in-the-dark bionic plants that can be charged with LEDs - ThePrint - September 27th, 2021
- Cornhusker Football News: A Wild Volleyball Set, Toilet Paper Sustainability and a Crazy Weekend in College F - Corn Nation - September 27th, 2021
- We can explore other worlds without the expense of having humans walk on them - Desert Sun - September 12th, 2021
- So you want to live on Mars eh? Good luck. You'll probably die a horrific death - The Next Web - September 10th, 2021
- Surviving Mars is free-to-keep on Steam for a limited time - PC Gamer - September 10th, 2021
- Obtain Surviving Mars at no cost on PC and stay it eternally, however run, the be offering ends quickly - TheNewsTrace - September 10th, 2021
- On London Stages, High Ambitions and Mixed Results - The New York Times - September 10th, 2021
- Biko and the Thief: A Space Odyssey for Us - Black Girl Nerds - August 28th, 2021
- Scientifically Speaking | Radiation is a deadly threat to human space travel - Hindustan Times - August 28th, 2021
- Cool Places We Could Migrate to Beyond Earth - Interesting Engineering - August 28th, 2021
- The United Arab Emirates: the next space power? - AeroTime News Hub - August 28th, 2021
- Watch Atlas, Boston Dynamics' humanoid robot, perform so well that you forget to be freaked out Stuff - Stuff Magazines - August 18th, 2021
- Golf Club Wasteland is More Than Just a Post-Apocalyptic Golf Game - Post Apocalyptic Media - August 18th, 2021
- Humankind review - thoughtful authenticity nudges the scales away from fun - Eurogamer.net - August 18th, 2021
- Space Caf WebTalk with Antonino Salmeri Recap: From Sicily to the Moon with law - SpaceWatch.Global - August 18th, 2021
- BIOTA Receives A Brand New Gameplay Trailer - Bleeding Cool News - August 18th, 2021
- NASA Wants YOU! to Help Prepare Humankind for Mars - HowStuffWorks - August 14th, 2021
- Lifeguard of the Year winners honored | Lifestyle | coastalpoint.com - Coastal Point - August 14th, 2021
- Mila Kunis refusing Ashton Kutcher's space trip just reminded us of The Big Bang Theory - India Today - July 16th, 2021
- Conquering space: how private companies are changing the industry and our future | KyivPost - Ukraine's Global Voice - Kyiv Post - July 16th, 2021
- Elon Musk Is Correct, I Am Specifically Attacking Space Itself and Not Just His Mars Colonization Project - Gizmodo - July 14th, 2021
- Mars . NASA's Mars Helicopter Reveals Intriguing Terrain for Rover Team - Jet Propulsion Laboratory - July 14th, 2021
- Virgin Galactic: The private space race explained as Richard Branson prepares for Sunday's launch - Sky News - July 14th, 2021
- Mecha Strategy JRPG Relayer for PS5 & PS4 Is Going To Be a Big Game; Post-Story Content Teased - Twinfinite - July 14th, 2021
- Watch the Moon, Mars, and Venus form a celestial conga line on July 12 - The Next Web - July 14th, 2021
- Space tourism: a small step that can lead to giant leaps | The Strategist - The Strategist - July 14th, 2021
- New Conspiracy Theory: Children Kidnapped for Mars Slave ... - June 27th, 2021
- Elon Musk says he plans to send 1 million people to Mars ... - June 27th, 2021
- Incredible Technology: How to Live on Mars | Space - June 27th, 2021
- Surviving Mars - Wikipedia - June 27th, 2021
- A petition to make Jeff Bezos stay in space has more than 120,000 signatures heres how it got started - CNBC - June 27th, 2021
- Who is Hosting Saturday Night Live Tonight: June 26, 2021 - The Interrobang - June 27th, 2021
- OPINION | LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Facts over feelings | Litter along roadways | Vaccination bribery - Arkansas Online - June 27th, 2021
- Intrepid squid mission may help in kraken riddle of why zero-g makes astronauts sick - The Register - June 27th, 2021
- This is why Martian Colonists are Going to Wish They had an Atmosphere Above Them - Universe Today - June 24th, 2021
- Squirrel Flower confronts looming disaster on the new Planet (i) - Chicago Reader - June 24th, 2021
- Red Solstice 2: Survivors Co-Op Stream Recap and Impressions - Co-Optimus.com - June 24th, 2021
- Tasmanian devils wipe out over 3,000 penguins on tiny Australian island - Republic World - June 24th, 2021
- Nasa shows off massive SLS megarocket to take humans to the Moon, Mars, and Jupiter as it is fully assembled - Yahoo Finance UK - June 15th, 2021
- Top 5 Videos: Dubais 3D Printed Martian City in the Desert - 3Dnatives - June 15th, 2021
- What will Elon Musk and Richard Branson do about Jeff Bezos flying into space? | TheHill - The Hill - June 15th, 2021
- How to Think Like a Utopian - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Where the Grass is Greener, Except When Its Nonfunctional Turf - The New York Times - June 15th, 2021
- Grimes, preparing for her life on Mars with Elon probably, appears as an alien in Doja Cat's new video - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 15th, 2021
- Dallas Electric Gamebox is the digital escape roomlike experience youre about to see everywhere - The Dallas Morning News - June 15th, 2021
- Study Suggests Sperm Can Survive On Mars, Reproduction Is Feasible - BroBible - June 15th, 2021
- SPOILERS: Does Planet-Size X-Men Have Its Roots In Rick Remender? - Bleeding Cool News - June 15th, 2021
- Surviving Mars Deluxe Edition is free to claim on the Humble Store - Neowin - June 15th, 2021
- Introducing Nwa, the sustainable Mars megacity of the future: Exclusive interview - Space.com - May 16th, 2021
- Rachel Kushner Wants to Radicalize the Novel - Jacobin magazine - May 16th, 2021
- Pete Davidsons Chad on Mars Is the Only Musk-Watch New SNL Sketch - Fatherly - May 16th, 2021
- Mars project is out of this world | Orlando | thefloridacatholic.org - Florida Catholic - May 14th, 2021
- News Thank you, 'SNL,' for Musksplaining Elon Musk to the world - Fast Company - May 14th, 2021
- Elon Musk's 'Saturday Night Live' appearance crashed the price of Dogecoin - Engadget - May 14th, 2021
- Elon Musk's other company SpaceX, a Tesla for the skies - The Economist - May 14th, 2021
- Debris From Chinese Rocket Expected To Hit Earth Soon - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2021
- Did we just find actual proof of life on Mars? - TweakTown - May 14th, 2021
- 'Army of the Dead': We're off to a Las Vegas heist, but technically it's impossible to make a killing - Cambridge Day - May 14th, 2021
- European Union agrees to 2-year contract extension with Pfizer - Yahoo News - May 14th, 2021
- Taylor Richardson is reaching for the stars - The Resident Community News Group, Inc. - The Resident Community News - May 7th, 2021
- Japanese startup to carry UAE lunar rover to the moon in 2022 - The Japan Times - May 7th, 2021
- Out of thin air: This company has found a way to produce oxygen from soil on the Moon - Euronews - May 7th, 2021
- Will Mars ever be habitable? - The Daily Star - May 7th, 2021
- Earth in the Balance: Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary - tor.com - May 7th, 2021
- Stargazing in May: Is there life on Mercury? - The Independent - May 7th, 2021
- Consensus 2021: To Boldly Go Where Bitcoin Has Never Been - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 7th, 2021
- 'For All Mankind,' 'Stowaway,' and the Bleak New Space Fantasy - The Atlantic - May 7th, 2021
- On Mars as it is on Earth - preparing for settlement - Room: The Space Journal - ROOM Space Journal - May 3rd, 2021
- Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos: the great escape - Salon - May 3rd, 2021