Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk is confident that humans will land on Mars by 2026. As he has been an advocate of hypothetical Mars colonisation, he might have persuaded people that human life outside Earth is possible.
The idea of setting up colonies on Mars has received interest from all corners as space scientists and experts are investigating all possibilities with several Mars missions.
In pursuit to pull off the extraordinary, the scientists and Musk's dream can get some help from the recent volcanic eruption near Tonga that unleashed explosive forces that undermined the power of the Hiroshima atomic bomb.
The undersea eruption of the Hunga-Tonga-Hunga-Ha'apai volcano was so powerful as it sent tsunami waves across the Pacific Ocean and was heard some 2,300km away in New Zealand. Thousands of homes were destroyed.
Locals and survivors had described how the devastating Pacific blast "messed up" their brains. In the aftermath, parts of the nation were covered in ashes, communication with other countries was cut because the undersea lines were damaged.
ALOS READ |Scientists find evidence of an extreme solar 'tsunami' deep within Earth's ice
The Pacific nation has been reeling as other countries like Australia, New Zealand and India have come forward to help as even drinking water was scarce. But slowly and surely, the disaster-hit nation is pushing forward to reconstruct and reestablish.
Now, scientists are probing the eruption activities to learn and prepare humankind for such occurrences in future with advancements in technology.
Besides, that volcano could offer valuable clues about the formation of other planets like Mars and Venus as it is offering researchers a rare chance to study how water and lava interact.
ALSO READ |Water flowed on Mars about a billion years longer than previous estimates: NASA
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center chief scientist James Garvin told Reuters that NASA experts had been studying the volcano for seven years before it erupted, and were now using forensic techniques to examine the remnants of the islands, Hunga Tonga and Hunga Ha'apai.
"We took that volume of mass ejected and the energetics to explosively fragment it, and calculated - using fairly classical techniques - how much energy that would take to break rock.... to break it up into little bits and throw it as ash and steam up," Garvin said.
"We did that calculation and we got numbers that range from something equivalent to the blast of a small asteroid that would hit the earth - about 10 metric, megatons of TNT or equivalent - to things even bigger," he said.
Garvin said that by studying the life cycle of the Tonga volcano, scientists have a "rare opportunity" to understand how formations may have been made on other planets like Mars and Venus.
WATCH |Second earthquake hits Tonga few days after massive volcanic eruption
(With inputs from agencies)
Read the original post:
- NASA Astronauts Prepare For Mission To Mars By Spending Year Living In Simulated Colony On Venus - The Onion - June 15th, 2022
- Build on Mars and get rewarded: Mars4 releases their first game demo - AMBCrypto News - June 15th, 2022
- Elon Musk, Mars and the Holy Shechinah - Yated.com - June 15th, 2022
- For The First Time There's A Rocket Capable Of Establishing Permanent Mars And Moon Bases: Elon Musk - Be - Benzinga - June 15th, 2022
- Brokaw: 'For All Mankind' returns for season 3 with focus on Mars - Daily Herald - June 15th, 2022
- Severance and the Work of Philip K. Dick - tor.com - June 15th, 2022
- The UAE is a hub of trade and knowledge - wknd. - June 15th, 2022
- 15 Next Fest Demos That Will Have You Begging For More - Kotaku Australia - June 15th, 2022
- Will Jake Paul's Cryptocurrency Investments Stand The Test Of Time? - FX Empire - June 15th, 2022
- Everyone Wants To Make The Next Limbo - Kotaku - June 15th, 2022
- The BroadsheetDAILY - 6/15/22 - The Madding Crowd: Your Share of Space Downtown Comes to 535 Square Feet - ebroadsheet.com - June 15th, 2022
- Paul Krugman: Musk, Mars and the modern economy - Berkshire Eagle - June 11th, 2022
- For All Mankind sets up a mission to Mars - The A.V. Club - June 11th, 2022
- The Promise of Perseverance NASA Mars Exploration - NASA Mars Exploration - June 11th, 2022
- The social media trial of the century, American energy's biggest threat, and more from Fox News Opinion - Fox News - June 11th, 2022
- A Proclamation on Flag Day And National Flag Week, 2022 - The White House - June 11th, 2022
- 14 Movies Were Excited to See at This Years Tribeca Festival - Variety - June 11th, 2022
- Northeastern's aerospace program on the Seattle campus takes off - Northeastern University - June 11th, 2022
- Interesting facts about Mars that will blow your mind - Interesting Engineering - May 27th, 2022
- How to make buildings in space? Dust from the Moon and Mars can help - WION - May 27th, 2022
- Elon Musk's Hyperloop is possible. How badly do we want it? - Big Think - May 27th, 2022
- Ford Rolls Out Last 'Model T' This Date in 1927 - iHeart - May 27th, 2022
- China's New Space Telescope To Identify New Earth-Like Planets That Can Be Colonized; Here's How CHES Works - Tech Times - May 27th, 2022
- NASA is Building a Mission That Will Refuel and Repair Satellites in Orbit - Universe Today - May 25th, 2022
- Deep Space Travel: What's on the Menu for Astronauts May Well Come from Cultivated Insect Cells - Tufts Now - May 25th, 2022
- In Its 7th and Final Season, 'Riverdale' Will Finally End. In Space - Pajiba Entertainment News - May 21st, 2022
- Mars Colonies Will Need Solar Powerand Nuclear Too - WIRED - May 11th, 2022
- Opinion | What Does Elon Musk Want? Is Twitter the Way to Get It? - The New York Times - May 11th, 2022
- NASA looks to the metaverse to prepare astronauts for living on Mars - TweakTown - May 11th, 2022
- A Sci-Fi Writer Returns to Earth: The Real Story is the One Facing Us. - The New York Times - May 11th, 2022
- Terraforming Mars is now free on Epic Games Store, with Prey next - PC Invasion - May 11th, 2022
- Wealthy nations are carving up space and its riches and leaving other countries behind - Alton Telegraph - May 11th, 2022
- Inside Nasas vision of the future from 47 YEARS ago with humans living in bizarre space tube... - The Sun - May 11th, 2022
- Scientists prepare message to beam into space but say humanity won't survive to hear it - Daily Star - May 11th, 2022
- Building a home on Mars with bacteria? - Space.com - April 25th, 2022
- Surviving Mars To Get New Expansion With Martian Express - Bleeding Cool News - April 25th, 2022
- Russia May Ditch Space Station and Join Chinese to Set up a Permanent Manned Base on Mars - SOFREP - April 25th, 2022
- NASA tracking huge asteroid five times the size of London Eye speeding towards Earth - Daily Star - April 25th, 2022
- This Week In Games Australia - Kotaku Australia - April 17th, 2022
- Elon Musk, tech visionary in the spotlight - Digital Journal - April 17th, 2022
- The Pentagon Just Confirmed the First-Ever Interstellar Visitor to Earth - Popular Mechanics - April 17th, 2022
- Musk Factor Studios goes for the Holy Grail in TEMPLARS CODE - Verve Times - March 31st, 2022
- Mind-blowing plan to build floating cloud cities on Venus revealed by Nasa scientist... - The US Sun - March 31st, 2022
- The Need for Indigenous and Interdisciplinary Perspectives in SETI and Space Sciences - Astrobites - March 31st, 2022
- Superfuse has a new action RPG trailer, combining Diablo with The Boys - Polygon - March 31st, 2022
- Space Hardware Club team's robotic rover on its way to summertime competition in Utah - UAH News - March 31st, 2022
- A cooler home - The New Indian Express - March 31st, 2022
- Review: Sea of Tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel - The New York Times - March 31st, 2022
- Blind psychic Baba Vanga who foresaw 9/11 said Putin will be 'Lord of the World' - Daily Record - March 31st, 2022
- L.A. artist Adam Davis is building one of the largest troves of contemporary Black American portraits - Yahoo News - March 31st, 2022
- Designs, Amenities and Upgrades for the New Office - Commercial Property Executive - March 31st, 2022
- The Mars : Metaverse Project - March 29th, 2022
- Design a Mars Colony: STEM Project Vivify STEM - March 29th, 2022
- We're in 8th grade and dream of walking on Mars. We got help from a former NASA scientist. - USA TODAY - March 29th, 2022
- Terraformers Will Release Into Early Access In Late April - Bleeding Cool News - March 29th, 2022
- Asteroid Mining Company to Launch NFTs to Fund Resource Extraction in Space - VICE - March 29th, 2022
- UAH Space Hardware Club team's robotic rover on its way to summertime competition in Utah - Yellowhammer News - March 29th, 2022
- Where would we be without bees? - New Zealand Herald - March 29th, 2022
- Blind mystic Baba Vanga who predicted 9/11 and Brexit said Putin will be 'Lord of the World' - Edinburgh Live - March 29th, 2022
- NEW: Asian food chain Wagamama coming to former Oz space in Clarendon - ARLnow - March 29th, 2022
- Super invasive ants meet their demise at the hand of kryptonite fungus - ZME Science - March 29th, 2022
- Plymouth CAL is coming back 'stronger than ever' with Senior Welcome Wagon - Wicked Local - March 29th, 2022
- Experiencing Virginia's Three Capitols is a Lesson in American History and Government - Leisure Group Travel - March 29th, 2022
- Mars Colonization: New Space Study Claims Humans Can Breathe on the Red Planet With Bacteria's Help - Tech Times - March 26th, 2022
- Why Humans Will Never Go To Mars, According To Neil deGrasse Tyson - SlashGear - March 26th, 2022
- Aquarian Space says itll launch Wi-Fi on the Moon within 2 years - BGR - March 26th, 2022
- Design, climate change, and the 'eco-engineering' tools to help our oceans adapt - ABC News - March 26th, 2022
- A Sequel to "Moonshot" Isn't Totally Out of the Realm of Possibility - POPSUGAR - March 26th, 2022
- UAH Space Hardware Club teams robotic rover on its way to summertime competition in Utah - Newswise - March 26th, 2022
- 10 most successful sci-fi movies at the Oscars - Space.com - March 26th, 2022
- 50 Best Simulator Games Of All Time - Gameranx - March 26th, 2022
- Space-Inspired Glamping in Antarctica is the Latest Luxury Adventure - The Market Herald - March 26th, 2022
- How the Starfield factions will shape your adventure in Bethesda's upcoming RPG - Gamesradar - March 17th, 2022
- Edinburgh Colonies wall removed for parking space must be rebuilt, council rules - Edinburgh Live - March 17th, 2022
- Launch of global CDL Space stream will unlock new worlds of - GlobeNewswire - March 17th, 2022
- The 15 Best Space Opera Movies, Ranked - /Film - March 17th, 2022
- Aliens may have already visited Earth and they could see us as like a colony of ANTS compared to their c... - The Sun - March 17th, 2022
- 2022 Space Missions - All the Space Milestones to Look Forward to This Year - Popular Mechanics - February 17th, 2022
- Antalya's sand sculpture fest to reveal mysterious world of space | Daily Sabah - Daily Sabah - February 17th, 2022
- Mankind finally discovers aliens and they're onboard the International Space Station - Daily Star - February 17th, 2022