QUESTION: What are the benefits of human genetic engineering?
The benefits of human genetic engineering can be found in the headlines nearly every day. With the successful cloning of mammals and the completion of the Human Genome Project, scientists all over the world are aggressively researching the many different facets of human genetic engineering. These continuing breakthroughs have allowed science to more deeply understand DNA and its role in medicine, pharmacology, reproductive technology, and countless other fields.
The most promising benefit of human genetic engineering is gene therapy. Gene therapy is the medical treatment of a disease by repairing or replacing defective genes or introducing therapeutic genes to fight the disease. Over the past ten years, certain autoimmune diseases and heart disease have been treated with gene therapy. Many diseases, such as Huntington's disease, ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease), and cystic fibrosis are caused by a defective gene. The hope is that soon, through genetic engineering, a cure can be found for these diseases by either inserting a corrected gene, modifying the defective gene, or even performing genetic surgery. Eventually the hope is to completely eliminate certain genetic diseases as well as treat non-genetic diseases with an appropriate gene therapy.
Currently, many pregnant women elect to have their fetuses screened for genetic defects. The results of these screenings can allow the parents and their physician to prepare for the arrival of a child who may have special needs before, during, and after delivery. One possible future benefit of human genetic engineering is that, with gene therapy, a fetus w/ a genetic defect could be treated and even cured before it is born. There is also current research into gene therapy for embryos before they are implanted into the mother through in-vitro fertilization.
Another benefit of genetic engineering is the creation pharmaceutical products that are superior to their predecessors. These new pharmaceuticals are created through cloning certain genes. Currently on the market are bio-engineered insulin (which was previously obtained from sheep or cows) and human growth hormone (which in the past was obtained from cadavers) as well as bio-engineered hormones and blood clotting factors. The hope in the future is to be able to create plants or fruits that contain a certain drug by manipulating their genes in the laboratory.
The field of human genetic engineering is growing and changing at a tremendous pace. With these changes come several benefits and risks. These benefits and risks must be weighed in light of their moral, spiritual, legal, and ethical perspectives. The potential power of human genetic engineering comes with great responsibility.
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow Jesus
Yes, I am already a follower of Jesus
Read the original:
- Human genetic enhancement - Wikipedia - October 19th, 2021
- 16 Advantages and Disadvantages of Human Genetic Engineering - June 23rd, 2021
- Engineering Illusions Part I: Religion and Technology III - Medium - April 9th, 2021
- Genetic Engineering in Humans - Curing Diseases and ... - March 9th, 2020
- Human Genetic Engineering - AllAboutPopularIssues.org - March 9th, 2020
- Human Genetic Engineering Probe Ministries - March 9th, 2020
- Human Genetic Engineering Facts - August 14th, 2017
- The ethics of creating GMO humans | The Spokesman-Review - The Spokesman-Review - August 6th, 2017
- Human Genetic Engineering Cons - July 26th, 2017
- China unveils technology to create SUPER-HUMANS via hyper-muscular test-tube dogs - Express.co.uk - July 19th, 2017
- The Scopes Monkey Trial and global warming: Same playbook, different football - Baptist News Global - July 14th, 2017
- Science and Scientists on the Vineyard: Genes at play with CRISPR - Martha's Vineyard Times - June 17th, 2017
- Two Representatives Offer A Look At How Congress Is Doing - WNIJ and WNIU - June 16th, 2017
- 'Knights of Sidonia' is the Pinnacle of Gritty Mecha Anime - Inverse - June 12th, 2017
- Technosplit: The bifurcation of humanity - Salon - June 5th, 2017
- Breakthrough Regenerative Therapeutics Company Establishes Scientific Advisory Board - PR Newswire (press release) - May 4th, 2017
- Ethical Implications of Human Genetic Engineering | SAGE - April 19th, 2017
- Human Genetic Engineering on the Doorstep - hgalert.org - April 15th, 2017
- The Threat of Human Genetic Engineering - hgalert.org - April 12th, 2017
- Gene Editing Could Make You Smarter - Futurism - Futurism - March 1st, 2017
- Immoral Uses of Biotechnology Even With Good Intentions Are Evil - National Catholic Register - February 7th, 2017
- Human-pig hybrids might be unsettling. But they could save lives. - Washington Post - February 6th, 2017
- 5 Key Pros and Cons of Human Genetic Engineering | NLCATP.org - November 21st, 2016
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Human Genetic Engineering: A Guide for Activists, Skeptics ... - September 20th, 2016
- Human Genetic Engineering - The Future of Human Evolution - March 25th, 2016
- Human Genetic Engineering : History - December 22nd, 2015
- 00.03.07: Human Cloning, Genetic Engineering and Privacy - October 16th, 2015
- Online Debate: Human genetic engineering is a good thing ... - October 16th, 2015
- Bioethics Of Human Genetic Engineering - Documentary Video ... - September 30th, 2015
- Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering in Humans - Part 1 - August 29th, 2015
- Genetic Engineering - humans, body, used, process, plants ... - August 27th, 2015
- Genetic Engineering In Humans - August 27th, 2015
- Human Nature on Collision Course with Genetic Engineering ... - August 27th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering Cons: Why This Branch of Science ... - August 19th, 2015
- Human Genetics Alert - Human Genetic Engineering resources - August 19th, 2015
- Genetic engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 4th, 2015
- Human Genetics - July 31st, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering Pros And Cons - July 31st, 2015
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 28th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering - Popular Issues - July 28th, 2015
- Human Genetics Alert - The Threat of Human Genetic Engineering - July 28th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering - Popular Issues ... - February 16th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering - Buzzle - February 12th, 2015
- Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering in Humans - February 12th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering History - February 12th, 2015
- Benefits of Human Genetic Engineering - Popular Issues ... - February 12th, 2015