When you take a close look at the human body it is easy to see that it is not without imperfection. This means that some bodies are built with inherent flaws and others fail over time. Science has the ability to change the way that humans are made and alter the flaws that are known. This can be done through the process of human genetic engineering. Altering the technology in humans is a topic that causes a lot of controversy. Human genetic engineering is something that people are either very passionate about or opposed to completely. Differing opinions on this issue drive forward the debate.
1. End Disease Human genetic engineering relies heavily on science in technology. It was developed to help end the spread of diseases. Using human genetic engineering it could be possible to change the way genomes are constructed to end some diseases. Genetic mutations can be to blame for certain diseases including Cystic Fibrosis, but with the help of human genetic engineering it could be possible to end this disease completely. If the complete benefits of human genetic engineering therapy are ever seen, it could have a huge impact on disease as a whole.
2. Longer Life Without certain diseases to increase death rates and decrease life span, it would be possible for more individuals to live longer and healthier lives. This means that human genetic engineering has the potential to improve the quality of life and allow for longer life spans. Reversing some of the cellular causes for decline of the body could be possible if strides are made with human genetic engineering.
3. Eliminating Illness and Disease in Unborn Children One of the largest benefits of genetic engineering is the prospect of helping cure illness and diseases in unborn children. Having a genetic screening with a fetus can allow for treatment of the unborn. Overtime this can impact the growing spread of diseases in future generations.
1. Ethical Issues Many of those opposed to human genetic engineering have their opinion based on ethical views. The belief that god should have ultimate power and we should not be altering nature is what many think should halt the progression of human genetic engineering. The power to shape the human race should not be left up to us humans, because there is divine intervention at work.
2. Safety Issue There are still many different unknowns linked to human genetic engineering. This brings up issues involving of safety. Getting genes into the human body is a complex process that could go bad very easily. The extent to the consequences if it goes bad are not fully known and could be quite devastating. The success rate is also something that brings up concern.
Some feel that more research needs to be done to further human genetic engineering technology, but others feel that this type of engineering has no place in society at all.
In order to obtain a full opinion on the topic of human genetic engineering, it is imperative that you gain a deeper understanding at the most basic level. It is essential that you know exactly what is meant by the concept of human genetic engineering and what it entails. This can be a very complex process, but you can break it down somewhat. In basic terms, human genetic engineering is a way to manipulate genes to make the human body closer to perfection. The altering of the genome has the ability to happen in the sperm or the egg cell. This type of genetic engineering is also referred to as germ line gene therapy and has the ability to change some of the traits a child is born with. The changes that are made through the child using germ line gene therapy would then be inherited traits that would be passed down for generations.
There is also another type of human genetic engineering that involves trading in a bad gene for a good one. This is done in the cells, but does not include the sex cell, which is the process of human genetic engineering refereed to as somatic cell gene therapy. To complete this process of human genetic engineering, functioning genes are fired into the human body to remove the bad function of the inferior gene. This technology does exist to some extent, but it has not been perfected and does not yet have a high success rate.
It is pretty difficult to classify such a complex issue as either good or bad. It is so much more complicated and hard to decipher than that. This issue brings up questions of ethics and often causes outrage among both sides. The only way to gain your own unbiased opinion on the topic of human genetic engineering is to look at both the pros and cons. Not everything involving this issue is a positive, but it is not all negative either.
- Designer Babies: The Ethics of Human Genetic Engineering - May 27th, 2022
- Human genetic enhancement - Wikipedia - October 19th, 2021
- 16 Advantages and Disadvantages of Human Genetic Engineering - June 23rd, 2021
- Engineering Illusions Part I: Religion and Technology III - Medium - April 9th, 2021
- Genetic Engineering in Humans - Curing Diseases and ... - March 9th, 2020
- Human Genetic Engineering - AllAboutPopularIssues.org - March 9th, 2020
- Human Genetic Engineering Probe Ministries - March 9th, 2020
- Human Genetic Engineering Facts - August 14th, 2017
- The ethics of creating GMO humans | The Spokesman-Review - The Spokesman-Review - August 6th, 2017
- Human Genetic Engineering Cons - July 26th, 2017
- China unveils technology to create SUPER-HUMANS via hyper-muscular test-tube dogs - Express.co.uk - July 19th, 2017
- The Scopes Monkey Trial and global warming: Same playbook, different football - Baptist News Global - July 14th, 2017
- Science and Scientists on the Vineyard: Genes at play with CRISPR - Martha's Vineyard Times - June 17th, 2017
- Two Representatives Offer A Look At How Congress Is Doing - WNIJ and WNIU - June 16th, 2017
- 'Knights of Sidonia' is the Pinnacle of Gritty Mecha Anime - Inverse - June 12th, 2017
- Technosplit: The bifurcation of humanity - Salon - June 5th, 2017
- Breakthrough Regenerative Therapeutics Company Establishes Scientific Advisory Board - PR Newswire (press release) - May 4th, 2017
- Ethical Implications of Human Genetic Engineering | SAGE - April 19th, 2017
- Human Genetic Engineering on the Doorstep - hgalert.org - April 15th, 2017
- The Threat of Human Genetic Engineering - hgalert.org - April 12th, 2017
- Gene Editing Could Make You Smarter - Futurism - Futurism - March 1st, 2017
- Immoral Uses of Biotechnology Even With Good Intentions Are Evil - National Catholic Register - February 7th, 2017
- Human-pig hybrids might be unsettling. But they could save lives. - Washington Post - February 6th, 2017
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Human Genetic Engineering: A Guide for Activists, Skeptics ... - September 20th, 2016
- Human Genetic Engineering - The Future of Human Evolution - March 25th, 2016
- Human Genetic Engineering : History - December 22nd, 2015
- 00.03.07: Human Cloning, Genetic Engineering and Privacy - October 16th, 2015
- Online Debate: Human genetic engineering is a good thing ... - October 16th, 2015
- Bioethics Of Human Genetic Engineering - Documentary Video ... - September 30th, 2015
- Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering in Humans - Part 1 - August 29th, 2015
- Genetic Engineering - humans, body, used, process, plants ... - August 27th, 2015
- Genetic Engineering In Humans - August 27th, 2015
- Human Nature on Collision Course with Genetic Engineering ... - August 27th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering Cons: Why This Branch of Science ... - August 19th, 2015
- Human Genetics Alert - Human Genetic Engineering resources - August 19th, 2015
- Genetic engineering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 4th, 2015
- Benefits of Human Genetic Engineering - Popular Issues - August 4th, 2015
- Human Genetics - July 31st, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering Pros And Cons - July 31st, 2015
- Gene therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 28th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering - Popular Issues - July 28th, 2015
- Human Genetics Alert - The Threat of Human Genetic Engineering - July 28th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering - Popular Issues ... - February 16th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering - Buzzle - February 12th, 2015
- Pros and Cons of Genetic Engineering in Humans - February 12th, 2015
- Human Genetic Engineering History - February 12th, 2015
- Benefits of Human Genetic Engineering - Popular Issues ... - February 12th, 2015