Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern addresses supporters at a Labour Party event in Wellington, New Zealand, October 11, 2020. REUTERS/Praveen Menon/File Photo
Nov 26 (Reuters) - New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern expressed support on Friday for its Five Eyes alliance with Australia, Britain, Canada and the United States, but said her country would also consider other economic alliances in the Pacific region.
New Zealand has faced increasing pressure from some elements among Western allies over its reluctance to use the Five Eyes intelligence and security alliance to criticise its top trading partner, China.
"We do have important alliances we are part of and we consider fit for purpose and we consider need to be used for the functions for which they were originally established," Ardern said in an interview for the upcoming Reuters Next conference.
"Beyond that, we consider that there's benefit to seeing a range of other actors in our region showing greater interest, not just in the strategic environment but the economic architecture for example of our region," she added.
"We welcome other countries becoming more closely aligned through multilateral trade agreements, through bilateral trade agreements."
New Zealand's Foreign Minister Nanaia Mahuta raised eyebrows earlier this year when she said she was uncomfortable about expanding the role of Five Eyes beyond a security and intelligence framework.
Mahuta also said New Zealand needed to maintain and respect China's "particular customs, traditions and values."
China, which takes almost one-third of New Zealand's exports, has accused Five Eyes of ganging up on it by issuing statements on Hong Kong and the treatment of ethnic Muslim Uyhgurs in Xinjiang.
Ardern, who earlier this year said that differences with China were "becoming harder to reconcile", said on Friday there was "no question that China's posture has changed in many ways."
"Over the last decade, I do think that we've seen a different dynamic, and a different range of leaders with a strategic interest in our region and that does pose challenges," she said.
"New Zealand, though, has been utterly consistent. We've always jealously guarded our foreign policy independent positions and continue to do so."
To watch the Reuters Next conference please register here https://reutersevents.com/events/next/
Reporting By Jane Wardell; Editing by William Mallard
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
- New Zealands successful Covid policies hid inequality the government cant ignore it this year - The Guardian - January 9th, 2022
- Afghans in hiding because of service to New Zealand deserve hope, says former soldier - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- The new NZ divide: those anxious about Covid-19's inevitable spread, and the accepting - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- Spy: Predicting the good, the bad and the ugly of 2022 - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Athletics: New Zealand Olympic medalist Tom Walsh reveals decision to split from longtime coach for upcoming season - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Politics and the pandemic - another year of Covid-19 - RNZ - January 5th, 2022
- Bidens petty intolerance over Capitol riots will be politically costly - Sydney Morning Herald - January 5th, 2022
- Jacinda Ardern | NZHistory, New Zealand history online - January 3rd, 2022
- Summer off politics: What Jacinda Ardern is doing, reading, and watching for her break - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- Green co-leaders reflect on a year of being between Opposition and Government - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- A giggle and a yarn from crochet creations - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- Live: Sun sets on 2021 as revellers prepare to bring in the New Year - New Zealand Herald - January 3rd, 2022
- A to Z of sport's movers and shakers to watch out for in 2022 - Irish Examiner - January 3rd, 2022
- 'Jessica, then Tova': Jacinda Ardern grills reporters in 'reverse press conference' on The Hits with Jono and Ben - New Zealand Herald - December 17th, 2021
- Do we need to panic over the 'Jacinda Ardern' deepfake clip? - New Zealand Herald - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern says country has hit 90 per cent fully vaccinated and 'bloody deserves' a holiday, in final speech of the year - Stuff.co.nz - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern acknowledges New Zealand bravery award recipients and families - The Siasat Daily - December 17th, 2021
- Fractious Australia has much to learn from the kindness and purpose of New Zealand politics - The Guardian - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern wedding: Prime Minister reacts to hen's-do gifts from TVNZ Breakfast team - New Zealand Herald - December 17th, 2021
- The worlds most admired people? Has-beens and online poopers - POLITICO Europe - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern on Christmas, Covid, vaccines and movies Die Hard, Home Alone and Love Actually - New Zealand Herald - December 10th, 2021
- New Zealand isnt naive about China but it doesnt accept the Aukus worldview - The Guardian - December 10th, 2021
- Ardern: NZ-Aust bond will always be tight - PerthNow - December 10th, 2021
- A century on from the 1919 influenza inquiry, NZ needs a royal commission into the Covid-19 response - Stuff.co.nz - December 10th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern and the Queen: Forbes reveals 100 most powerful women of 2021 - New Zealand Herald - December 9th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern's Facebook Livestream Gets Interrupted. Her Reaction Is the Best Lesson in Leadership I've Ever Seen - Inc. - December 9th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Revealed - The public health advice to have Auckland unshackled by now and why Jacinda Ardern rejected it - New Zealand... - December 9th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern 'would be surprised' if National seeks to change housing deal given new deputy Nicola Willis 'was a part of discussions' - Newshub - December 9th, 2021
- National and ACT call on Ardern to release Groundswell NZ briefing notes - Stuff.co.nz - December 9th, 2021
- ACT Party's boycott of RNZ's Morning Report caused by host comparing one of its policies to eugenics - Newshub - December 9th, 2021
- Dunne Speaks: Question Time Is Anything But - Scoop - December 9th, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: Most of New Zealand to start at orange, Auckland and lower-vaccinated areas to start at red - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: PM Jacinda Ardern on Covid, visit to Auckland, and National Party turmoil - New Zealand Herald - November 28th, 2021
- PM Jacinda Ardern: 'Throughout this pandemic one of the hardest things to do has been to plan' - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Leadership in the time of Covid is a thankless job, in politics and in sport - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Time for the National Party to embrace kindness - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- 'Disappointing' National Party needs 'new vision' - Former PM - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern confident that DHBs will be able to cope with Covid-19 pressures over summer - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- Opposition angst as Ardern on top in NZ - Goulburn Post - November 21st, 2021
- NZ PM Jacinda Ardern admits vaccine passports will create ... - November 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern Daughter Crashes Her Livestream: "Well ... - November 17th, 2021
- Judith Collins questions timing of Jacinda Ardern's hint at early move into COVID-19 traffic light framework - Newshub - November 17th, 2021
- New Zealand PM Ardern welcomes signs of U.S. greater presence in Indo-Pacific - Reuters - November 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's hosting of APEC has 'shifted the dial', Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- PM Jacinda Ardern announces boost to Working for Families payments - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - November 7th, 2021
- 'Perhaps the largest middle-class support scheme in the world' - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- On climate change, this is a Government of wimps - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- Waitangi commemorations set to be held virtually in 2022 due to COVID-19 - Newshub - November 7th, 2021
- Tova on 2020, and a special message for Jami-Lee Ross - Newsroom - November 7th, 2021
- Covid-19: Where has Jacinda Ardern, the great communicator gone? - Stuff.co.nz - November 1st, 2021
- New Zealand increases emissions reduction target - - November 1st, 2021
- Covid-19: Sweeping vaccine mandate to cover 40 per cent of workforce - Stuff.co.nz - November 1st, 2021
- Get vaccinated within a month or face the sack, Jacinda Ardern tells workers - Telegraph.co.uk - October 30th, 2021
- The reason Jacinda Ardern, Nanaia Mahuta think Three Waters will be a success - Newshub - October 30th, 2021
- Covid-19: What we do and don't know about how and when Aucklanders can cross the border - Stuff.co.nz - October 30th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Lord Ashcroft's New Zealand poll 'Living the Kiwi Dream?' reveals frustration growing - New Zealand Herald - October 30th, 2021
- Border changes keeping thousands of Kiwis in Australia from coming home criticised - SBS News - October 30th, 2021
- Is it to satisfy you or to satisfy us? Why New Zealands Pacific colony doesnt want independence - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Ardern's calm, cannabis farms, and a little bit of Liberace take the Thursday quiz - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Businesses plea for restrictive settings in Auckland to be loosened - Stuff.co.nz - October 30th, 2021
- Straight Outta Hollywood: The Jacinda Ardern Humiliation Show ... - October 21st, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: The biggest day for the Government since the first day of the first lockdown - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- 'You are holding the country to ransom': Promoter's plea to unvaccinated as summer plans still hang in the balance - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Three reasons why Jacinda Ardern's coronavirus response ... - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern an agenda-driven autocrat? | The ... - October 19th, 2021
- 10 times Jacinda Ardern was a true leader - NZ Labour Party - October 19th, 2021
- Everyday activities won't be available to the unvaccinated - Jacinda Ardern - RNZ - October 19th, 2021
- When will Aucklanders turn on Jacinda Ardern? - MacroBusiness - October 19th, 2021
- New Zealand increases climate aid ahead of UN summit - The Indian Express - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern New Zealand: 14 best quotes | The ... - October 17th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Arderns clumsy leadership response to Delta could still be the right approach - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern pours cold water on wedding allegations, saying staffer helping as a friend - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Scathing feedback from experts on Jacinda Ardern's traffic light system to replace alert levels - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- What New Zealand's changing COVID strategy tells us about the pandemic's end - WBUR - October 17th, 2021
- Anniversary of a landslide: new research reveals what really swung New Zealand's 2020 'COVID election' - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19: No change likely for Auckland, Waikato but alert levels now on borrowed time - Stuff.co.nz - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern | Biography, Facts, & Partner | Britannica - October 7th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern's Leadership Against the Coronavirus - The ... - October 7th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Ardern giving up on eliminating COVID-19 is a political gamble for the popular PM - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern - Prime Minister of New Zealand - NZ ... - October 7th, 2021