Public health experts and COVID-19 modelers are urging the New Zealand government to tighten its lockdown settings to avoid losing hard-won gains in the fight against the Delta variant.
On Wednesday, health officials reported 75 cases in New Zealand, up from 49 on Tuesday and 53 on Monday, but still below a peak of 83 on Sunday.
Prior to announcing the figure, Director General of Health Ashley Bloomfield predicted that cases would continue to fall but some "bouncing around" would be likely, as occurred during New Zealand's last outbreak.
Of the new cases, 74 are from Auckland and one, likely to be a historical case, is from Wellington.
The new cases take the overall outbreak to 687.
Hospitalisations remain stead at 32, with eight in intensive care units and three requiring ventilating.
Dr Bloomfield told television station Three "it does look like we hit the peak a few days ago" when cases reached 83 on Sunday.
"People shouldn't worry if it does go up again. The key thing is we're on our way down," he said.
Experts share Dr Bloomfield's optimism - but caution against weak spots among New Zealand's current settings.
Nick Wilson, a professor of public health at the University of Otago, called recent drops "encouraging", noting the lower proportion of transmission in the community.
However, he notes with concern recent reports of three infections at an Auckland chicken-processing factory.
"The Delta variant is very infectious and so you could have a problem with an essential worker, causing infection in a workplace, so we could still have a super spreading event," he told AAP.
"We've seen very big outbreaks in meat processing plants in the US with atmospheric conditions in these factories and people being in close proximity."
He recommends an upgrading of workplace mask-wearing rules.
On the weekend, Ms Ardern also foreshadowed a tightening of workplace restrictions, but on Wednesday COVID-19 Minister Chris Hipkins said the government was happy with its current settings.
"We review information every day ... we haven't made further decisions on that yet," he said.
Dr Wilson cautioned against complacency.
"The government has been very slow on masks and it hasn't still hasn't mandated at the alert level four for masks in factories and office workers who are essential workers. That is one of its biggest mistakes, unfortunately," he said.
Among Dr Wilson's other suggestions are prioritising vaccination of essential workers and reducing worker numbers at businesses allowed to operated.
Respected COVID-19 modeler Shaun Hendy, a physics professor at the University of Auckland said he was pleased to finally see a downwards trend in this outbreak, predicting "ups and downs" in case numbers this week.
Dr Hendy agreed workplaces could be New Zealand's achilles heel.
"Workplaces remain a risk. It's where people are routinely in close contact and it poses the most risk. Compliance at level four could still be an issue," he told AAP.
Also on Wednesday, Ms Ardern's government reduced restrictions for many New Zealanders.
After a fortnight at level four lockdown, Jacinda Ardern's government lowered all places south of Auckland to level three, allowing most Kiwis the luxury of takeaway food.
Health officials also confirmed another bumper day of vaccinations, with 84,971 doses administered - around 1.6 per cent of the population.
Read the rest here:
- Covid-19 NZ: Most of New Zealand to start at orange, Auckland and lower-vaccinated areas to start at red - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: PM Jacinda Ardern on Covid, visit to Auckland, and National Party turmoil - New Zealand Herald - November 28th, 2021
- PM Jacinda Ardern: 'Throughout this pandemic one of the hardest things to do has been to plan' - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand PM Ardern backs Five Eyes, open to other alliances - Reuters - November 28th, 2021
- Leadership in the time of Covid is a thankless job, in politics and in sport - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Time for the National Party to embrace kindness - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- 'Disappointing' National Party needs 'new vision' - Former PM - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern confident that DHBs will be able to cope with Covid-19 pressures over summer - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- Opposition angst as Ardern on top in NZ - Goulburn Post - November 21st, 2021
- NZ PM Jacinda Ardern admits vaccine passports will create ... - November 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern Daughter Crashes Her Livestream: "Well ... - November 17th, 2021
- Judith Collins questions timing of Jacinda Ardern's hint at early move into COVID-19 traffic light framework - Newshub - November 17th, 2021
- New Zealand PM Ardern welcomes signs of U.S. greater presence in Indo-Pacific - Reuters - November 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's hosting of APEC has 'shifted the dial', Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- PM Jacinda Ardern announces boost to Working for Families payments - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - November 7th, 2021
- 'Perhaps the largest middle-class support scheme in the world' - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- On climate change, this is a Government of wimps - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- Waitangi commemorations set to be held virtually in 2022 due to COVID-19 - Newshub - November 7th, 2021
- Tova on 2020, and a special message for Jami-Lee Ross - Newsroom - November 7th, 2021
- Covid-19: Where has Jacinda Ardern, the great communicator gone? - Stuff.co.nz - November 1st, 2021
- New Zealand increases emissions reduction target - - November 1st, 2021
- Covid-19: Sweeping vaccine mandate to cover 40 per cent of workforce - Stuff.co.nz - November 1st, 2021
- Get vaccinated within a month or face the sack, Jacinda Ardern tells workers - Telegraph.co.uk - October 30th, 2021
- The reason Jacinda Ardern, Nanaia Mahuta think Three Waters will be a success - Newshub - October 30th, 2021
- Covid-19: What we do and don't know about how and when Aucklanders can cross the border - Stuff.co.nz - October 30th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Lord Ashcroft's New Zealand poll 'Living the Kiwi Dream?' reveals frustration growing - New Zealand Herald - October 30th, 2021
- Border changes keeping thousands of Kiwis in Australia from coming home criticised - SBS News - October 30th, 2021
- Is it to satisfy you or to satisfy us? Why New Zealands Pacific colony doesnt want independence - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Ardern's calm, cannabis farms, and a little bit of Liberace take the Thursday quiz - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Businesses plea for restrictive settings in Auckland to be loosened - Stuff.co.nz - October 30th, 2021
- Straight Outta Hollywood: The Jacinda Ardern Humiliation Show ... - October 21st, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: The biggest day for the Government since the first day of the first lockdown - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- 'You are holding the country to ransom': Promoter's plea to unvaccinated as summer plans still hang in the balance - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Three reasons why Jacinda Ardern's coronavirus response ... - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern an agenda-driven autocrat? | The ... - October 19th, 2021
- 10 times Jacinda Ardern was a true leader - NZ Labour Party - October 19th, 2021
- Everyday activities won't be available to the unvaccinated - Jacinda Ardern - RNZ - October 19th, 2021
- When will Aucklanders turn on Jacinda Ardern? - MacroBusiness - October 19th, 2021
- New Zealand increases climate aid ahead of UN summit - The Indian Express - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern New Zealand: 14 best quotes | The ... - October 17th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Arderns clumsy leadership response to Delta could still be the right approach - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern pours cold water on wedding allegations, saying staffer helping as a friend - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Scathing feedback from experts on Jacinda Ardern's traffic light system to replace alert levels - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- What New Zealand's changing COVID strategy tells us about the pandemic's end - WBUR - October 17th, 2021
- Anniversary of a landslide: new research reveals what really swung New Zealand's 2020 'COVID election' - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19: No change likely for Auckland, Waikato but alert levels now on borrowed time - Stuff.co.nz - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern | Biography, Facts, & Partner | Britannica - October 7th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern's Leadership Against the Coronavirus - The ... - October 7th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Ardern giving up on eliminating COVID-19 is a political gamble for the popular PM - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern - Prime Minister of New Zealand - NZ ... - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's Jacinda Ardern admits nation can't get rid of coronavirus | TheHill - The Hill - October 7th, 2021
- Steven Joyce: Jacinda Ardern Government getting too big for its bossy boots - New Zealand Herald - October 7th, 2021
- Claire Trevett: What happens to Labour after Jacinda Ardern? - New Zealand Herald - October 7th, 2021
- Covid-19: 'Prepare for the inevitability of community transmission' - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- To keep the faithful, Jacinda needs to be clearer on the plan - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- New Covid-19 testing regime to be announced today - RNZ - October 7th, 2021
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern fires up at 'rushed and risky' COVID-19 reopening proposals by National, ACT - Newshub - September 29th, 2021
- Mike Munro: In Jacinda Ardern Kiwis trust as National left trailing - New Zealand Herald - September 29th, 2021
- Invercargill invoked to question Govt's plan - Otago Daily Times - September 29th, 2021
- ScoMo and Jacinda share a steamy kiss on the latest episode of SPITTING IMAGE - TV Blackbox - September 29th, 2021
- MIQueue: What are the alternatives to two weeks in a hotel? - Stuff.co.nz - September 29th, 2021
- New Zealand to halt removal of 'at risk' children from families - swissinfo.ch - September 29th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern: Why I got vaccinated | nzherald.co.nz - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - September 29th, 2021
- Comment: There can be only one reason Collins is still in her job - RNZ - September 29th, 2021
- Once Covid world-beaters, the mood in New Zealand is changing and Jacinda Ardern knows it - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- I believed in the 'Jacinda effect,' now Covid-19 has made me critical - Stuff.co.nz - September 24th, 2021
- 'PM Jacinda Ardern had genuine information that NZ team may face attack in Pak': Report - Republic World - September 24th, 2021
- UN Food Systems Summit looks for recipe to tackle global food dysfunction - The Pig Site - September 24th, 2021
- Frustration for New Zealand returnees as COVID-19 quarantine waiting list hits 30,000 - WION - September 24th, 2021
- Geoffrey Miller: New Zealand could be the big winner of Aukus fallout - RNZ - September 24th, 2021
- Against all odds: how New Zealand is bending the Delta curve - The Guardian - September 12th, 2021
- New Zealand marks 20th anniversary of 9/11 attacks - The Siasat Daily - September 12th, 2021
- Parliament hails the returning heroes - RNZ - September 12th, 2021
- Judith Collins probes Jacinda Ardern on when 'use of lockdowns', 'gathering size limits' won't be required - Newshub - September 10th, 2021
- Covid-19: The 1pm update review - Spain rides to the Government's rescue - Stuff.co.nz - September 10th, 2021
- New Zealand terror attack: 'Violent extremist' carried out ... - September 6th, 2021
- 'Not A Faith': Jacinda Ardern Blames 'Individual' For New ... - September 6th, 2021
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern vows to tighten counter ... - September 6th, 2021
- Auckland mall terrorist attack: PM Jacinda Ardern calls ... - September 6th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern calls New Zealand stabbing 'terrorist attack ... - September 6th, 2021