"Where our experts have really cautioned is just putting a single number on it, and I can see why, when you look at some countries which many members in this House hold up as being beacons of vaccination programmes.
"Most of them still have restrictions in place in some form and many of them sit somewhere between 70 to 80 percent vaccination rates.
"So yes, we do want to see an end to those, but we haven't put a number on it. We want to encourage everyone to be vaccinated as soon as possible."
New South Wales, the Australian state registering more than 1000 COVID-19 cases a day, is preparing to reduce restrictions in October regardless of the 1151 cases currently in hospital and 139 deaths since June.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian said last week life would feel "very much more normal" by mid-October when the state is expected to achieve its 70 percent vaccination milestone, which would allow freedoms for vaccinated residents in some areas.
The UK removed all limits on mixing and allowed venues like nightclubs and sports stadiums to open at full capacity starting on July 19, a day often referred to as "freedom day".
Face masks are no longer required apart from in a few specific locations, such as airports and hospitals, and fully vaccinated people don't need to quarantine after coming into contact with someone who has tested positive.
But the freedoms come at a high cost. The UK is still averaging around 90 deaths a day from COVID-19, with about 64 percent of the entire population fully vaccinated with two doses of vaccine.
New Zealand, by comparison, has fully vaccinated 27 percent of the population, with just over half having received at least one dose.
Collins asked Ardern if the current lockdown would have been necessary if the Government had managed to secure vaccines from Pfizer earlier, with New Zealand one of the last in the OECD to experience its peak.
"No, I absolutely disagree with that sentence, for two reasons," Ardern said.
"First of all, countries that started their vaccination programmes in earnest in February and even peaked around April or May in some cases still have restrictions in place - they still have gathering limits in place, they still have things that are constraining their everyday lives, and in those places where they don't have that, they have record hospitalisations, so I think it's an overly simplistic analysis.
"The second issue I would point out to the member, is the only thing that has constrained our vaccine rollout has been supply.
"We have had in place an order in place with Pfizer that covers our whole population. Pfizer has determined globally who receives their supply and when.
"So regardless, we got allocations for quarter one, two, three and four, and as with many countries, the bulk of ours are coming in quarter four, which is why we always designed a vaccine programme that factored that in."
Ardern confirmed the Government is finalising a deal with "multiple countries" to get additional doses of Pfizer into New Zealand this month to keep up with high demand, before the bulk of supply arrives in October.
See the original post here:
- Straight Outta Hollywood: The Jacinda Ardern Humiliation Show ... - October 21st, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: The biggest day for the Government since the first day of the first lockdown - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- 'You are holding the country to ransom': Promoter's plea to unvaccinated as summer plans still hang in the balance - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Three reasons why Jacinda Ardern's coronavirus response ... - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern an agenda-driven autocrat? | The ... - October 19th, 2021
- 10 times Jacinda Ardern was a true leader - NZ Labour Party - October 19th, 2021
- Everyday activities won't be available to the unvaccinated - Jacinda Ardern - RNZ - October 19th, 2021
- When will Aucklanders turn on Jacinda Ardern? - MacroBusiness - October 19th, 2021
- New Zealand increases climate aid ahead of UN summit - The Indian Express - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern New Zealand: 14 best quotes | The ... - October 17th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Arderns clumsy leadership response to Delta could still be the right approach - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern pours cold water on wedding allegations, saying staffer helping as a friend - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Scathing feedback from experts on Jacinda Ardern's traffic light system to replace alert levels - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- What New Zealand's changing COVID strategy tells us about the pandemic's end - WBUR - October 17th, 2021
- Anniversary of a landslide: new research reveals what really swung New Zealand's 2020 'COVID election' - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19: No change likely for Auckland, Waikato but alert levels now on borrowed time - Stuff.co.nz - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern | Biography, Facts, & Partner | Britannica - October 7th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern's Leadership Against the Coronavirus - The ... - October 7th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Ardern giving up on eliminating COVID-19 is a political gamble for the popular PM - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern - Prime Minister of New Zealand - NZ ... - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's Jacinda Ardern admits nation can't get rid of coronavirus | TheHill - The Hill - October 7th, 2021
- Steven Joyce: Jacinda Ardern Government getting too big for its bossy boots - New Zealand Herald - October 7th, 2021
- Claire Trevett: What happens to Labour after Jacinda Ardern? - New Zealand Herald - October 7th, 2021
- Covid-19: 'Prepare for the inevitability of community transmission' - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- To keep the faithful, Jacinda needs to be clearer on the plan - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- New Covid-19 testing regime to be announced today - RNZ - October 7th, 2021
- Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern fires up at 'rushed and risky' COVID-19 reopening proposals by National, ACT - Newshub - September 29th, 2021
- Mike Munro: In Jacinda Ardern Kiwis trust as National left trailing - New Zealand Herald - September 29th, 2021
- Invercargill invoked to question Govt's plan - Otago Daily Times - September 29th, 2021
- ScoMo and Jacinda share a steamy kiss on the latest episode of SPITTING IMAGE - TV Blackbox - September 29th, 2021
- MIQueue: What are the alternatives to two weeks in a hotel? - Stuff.co.nz - September 29th, 2021
- New Zealand to halt removal of 'at risk' children from families - swissinfo.ch - September 29th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern: Why I got vaccinated | nzherald.co.nz - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - September 29th, 2021
- Comment: There can be only one reason Collins is still in her job - RNZ - September 29th, 2021
- Once Covid world-beaters, the mood in New Zealand is changing and Jacinda Ardern knows it - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- I believed in the 'Jacinda effect,' now Covid-19 has made me critical - Stuff.co.nz - September 24th, 2021
- 'PM Jacinda Ardern had genuine information that NZ team may face attack in Pak': Report - Republic World - September 24th, 2021
- UN Food Systems Summit looks for recipe to tackle global food dysfunction - The Pig Site - September 24th, 2021
- Frustration for New Zealand returnees as COVID-19 quarantine waiting list hits 30,000 - WION - September 24th, 2021
- Geoffrey Miller: New Zealand could be the big winner of Aukus fallout - RNZ - September 24th, 2021
- Against all odds: how New Zealand is bending the Delta curve - The Guardian - September 12th, 2021
- New Zealand marks 20th anniversary of 9/11 attacks - The Siasat Daily - September 12th, 2021
- Parliament hails the returning heroes - RNZ - September 12th, 2021
- Covid-19: The 1pm update review - Spain rides to the Government's rescue - Stuff.co.nz - September 10th, 2021
- New Zealand terror attack: 'Violent extremist' carried out ... - September 6th, 2021
- 'Not A Faith': Jacinda Ardern Blames 'Individual' For New ... - September 6th, 2021
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern vows to tighten counter ... - September 6th, 2021
- Auckland mall terrorist attack: PM Jacinda Ardern calls ... - September 6th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern calls New Zealand stabbing 'terrorist attack ... - September 6th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern said New Zealand tried for years to deport the ISIS supporter who injured 7 shoppers in a stabbing attack last week - Yahoo News - September 6th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern weighing up end to New Zealands nationwide COVID-19 lockdown after new cases announced on Monday - 7NEWS.com.au - September 6th, 2021
- 'Splitting a half strength': Bizarre way Jacinda Ardern and team celebrated level 3 - New Zealand Herald - September 6th, 2021
- We had years to prevent a terrorist attack - we deserve to know what went wrong - Stuff.co.nz - September 6th, 2021
- Covid-19: Here's why Jacinda Ardern's British critics are wrong - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- Has Jacinda Ardern's New Zealand got its Covid-19 response all wrong? - The National - September 1st, 2021
- Covid-19: Jacinda Ardern and the last lockdown - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- Auckland remains in level 4 for 2 weeks, Northland likely to move to level 3 from midnight Thursday - RNZ - September 1st, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern says NZ 'not going to run out' of Covid-19 vaccines - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - September 1st, 2021
- Anzus at 70: Still a model for peace and prosperity in our region - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: Who is who in the Government's Covid-19 response team - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- LIVE: Covid-19 alert level update with Jacinda Ardern, Ashley Bloomfield - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - September 1st, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: Parliament to sit this week after National and ACT reject virtual option - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- New Zealand reports first death linked to Pfizer vaccine - WION - September 1st, 2021
- Cases bounce back up in New Zealand - PerthNow - September 1st, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: Explaining what is going on with the daily case numbers - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- Essential business confusion 'on the Government' - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- New Zealand wages high-stakes effort to halt virus outbreak - CTV News - September 1st, 2021
- If the Government is making the right decisions on Covid-19, it will withstand scrutiny - Stuff.co.nz - September 1st, 2021
- Samoas former PM accuses Jacinda Ardern of plot to replace him with a woman - The Guardian - August 26th, 2021
- Opinion: Jacinda Ardern - The Messiah, or just a crafty politician? - Newshub - August 26th, 2021
- Will Jacinda Ardern Suffer Churchills Fate Once The (Covid) War Is Over? - Forbes - August 26th, 2021
- Covid 19: Why was Jacinda Ardern able to suspend Parliament and what happens next? - Stuff.co.nz - August 26th, 2021
- Why were happy hobbits in Jacindas mysterious socialist hermit kingdom - The Guardian - August 26th, 2021
- COVID-19: Jacinda Ardern defends pace locations of interest are released to public after Wellington Mayor criticism - Newshub - August 26th, 2021
- Fall of Afghanistan: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says NZ unlikely to rescue 'everyone we want to' - New Zealand Herald - August 26th, 2021
- Lockdowns or Vaccines? 3 Pacific Nations Try Diverging Paths - VOA Asia - August 26th, 2021
- Afghan refugees in our thinking: Ardern - The Northern Daily Leader - August 26th, 2021
- Expert: 2021 may prove a 'golden year' with more outbreaks, lockdowns expected next year - Stuff.co.nz - August 26th, 2021
- New Zealand's Ardern implores Taliban to uphold human rights - Reuters - August 16th, 2021
- New Zealand Outlines COVID-19 Plan to Reconnect with World - VOA Asia - August 16th, 2021