Auckland businesses are asking Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern to shift down into the third phase of alert level 3 as they struggle nearly three months into lockdown.
Heart of the City and the Newmarket, Parnell, Ponsonby and Takapuna business associations are asking for the region to get moving in an open letter. Its asking the Government to urgently support local economies and save businesses, especially as the region is on the cusp of being 90 per cent vaccinated.
Government handouts are a lifeline, but all we really want to do is trade, the letter said, noting Auckland was entering its 11th week, or 77 days, in lockdown following the outbreak of Delta in the community.
READ MORE:* New Covid-19 levels welcomed but South Canterbury frustration lingers* Give us a date: Businesses want Government to draw a line in the sand on Covid-19 framework transition date* Business leader frustrated South Island still waiting for Covid timeframes
Our businesses are suffering more than ever. There have been numerous closures already. The prospect that many of our businesses will not be able to resume trade for at least a further month will have major implications on livelihoods, well-being and families.
Auckland has been in lockdown for 77 days.
While many businesses were able to carry on, the business associations retail, hospitality, arts, events, entertainment, tourism, and personal service sectors are disadvantaged.
The group was requesting an immediate change to alert level 3, step 3, under the existing alert system.
The framework and guidelines were already in place and business following the guidelines could trade safely, the associations said.
Newmarket business association chief executive Mark Knoff-Thomas said it was doble.
We can do it responsibly, safely and follow the guidelines sets out in the existing framework, rather than going a bit rogue. If you are out and about in Auckland, its getting pretty busy. As a community we are getting to the end of its tolerance, possibly.
People were beginning to break the rules and giving them a bit more freedom, while still giving them a framework to follow would be preferable, he said.
As Auckland shifted to alert level 3 business around the city amps up, with Ponsonby Rd full of people waiting outside cafes to get their contactless coffee.
ACT leader David Seymour said step 3 would mean the ability to operate would make little different to public health at this point but a world of distance to the livelihoods of so many small businesses.
After visiting Auckland this week Seymour said he observed businesses doing their best to operate under restrictions.
They are putting on a brave face behind the mask. Their revenues are often down 80 per cent, they are losing money every week. I heard that there are people borrowing from relatives, running up against their mortgages, and holding out paying suppliers to stay afloat, he said.
According to recent data, business closures in Auckland were up 13.8 per cent in September compared to last years monthly average, credit bureau Centrix said earlier this month.
Christchurchs were up 10 per cent, while Wellingtons were at 97 per cent of average.
Companies Office data compiled by Dot Loves Data showed 9524 business closures in August. In the previous two months, there had been almost 12,000 closures.
Restaurant Association of New Zealand chief executive Marisa Bidois says an estimate 1000 hospitality businesses had permanently closed since the start of the pandemic, as at September 2021.
By comparison, in the three months between February and April, only 5241 businesses closed.
Dot Loves Data government director Justin Lester previously said the jump was significant but would not reflect the effects of the latest lockdown yet.
A month ago, the Restaurant Association reported that an estimated 13,000 job losses due to 1000 hospitality business closures had taken place since the start of the pandemic.
Following the return to alert level 4 in August 2021 we expect the fallout to be significantly higher over the next three to six months, Bidois said.
- New Zealands successful Covid policies hid inequality the government cant ignore it this year - The Guardian - January 9th, 2022
- Afghans in hiding because of service to New Zealand deserve hope, says former soldier - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- The new NZ divide: those anxious about Covid-19's inevitable spread, and the accepting - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- Spy: Predicting the good, the bad and the ugly of 2022 - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Athletics: New Zealand Olympic medalist Tom Walsh reveals decision to split from longtime coach for upcoming season - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Politics and the pandemic - another year of Covid-19 - RNZ - January 5th, 2022
- Bidens petty intolerance over Capitol riots will be politically costly - Sydney Morning Herald - January 5th, 2022
- Jacinda Ardern | NZHistory, New Zealand history online - January 3rd, 2022
- Summer off politics: What Jacinda Ardern is doing, reading, and watching for her break - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- Green co-leaders reflect on a year of being between Opposition and Government - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- A giggle and a yarn from crochet creations - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- Live: Sun sets on 2021 as revellers prepare to bring in the New Year - New Zealand Herald - January 3rd, 2022
- A to Z of sport's movers and shakers to watch out for in 2022 - Irish Examiner - January 3rd, 2022
- 'Jessica, then Tova': Jacinda Ardern grills reporters in 'reverse press conference' on The Hits with Jono and Ben - New Zealand Herald - December 17th, 2021
- Do we need to panic over the 'Jacinda Ardern' deepfake clip? - New Zealand Herald - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern says country has hit 90 per cent fully vaccinated and 'bloody deserves' a holiday, in final speech of the year - Stuff.co.nz - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern acknowledges New Zealand bravery award recipients and families - The Siasat Daily - December 17th, 2021
- Fractious Australia has much to learn from the kindness and purpose of New Zealand politics - The Guardian - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern wedding: Prime Minister reacts to hen's-do gifts from TVNZ Breakfast team - New Zealand Herald - December 17th, 2021
- The worlds most admired people? Has-beens and online poopers - POLITICO Europe - December 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern on Christmas, Covid, vaccines and movies Die Hard, Home Alone and Love Actually - New Zealand Herald - December 10th, 2021
- New Zealand isnt naive about China but it doesnt accept the Aukus worldview - The Guardian - December 10th, 2021
- Ardern: NZ-Aust bond will always be tight - PerthNow - December 10th, 2021
- A century on from the 1919 influenza inquiry, NZ needs a royal commission into the Covid-19 response - Stuff.co.nz - December 10th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern and the Queen: Forbes reveals 100 most powerful women of 2021 - New Zealand Herald - December 9th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern's Facebook Livestream Gets Interrupted. Her Reaction Is the Best Lesson in Leadership I've Ever Seen - Inc. - December 9th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Revealed - The public health advice to have Auckland unshackled by now and why Jacinda Ardern rejected it - New Zealand... - December 9th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern 'would be surprised' if National seeks to change housing deal given new deputy Nicola Willis 'was a part of discussions' - Newshub - December 9th, 2021
- National and ACT call on Ardern to release Groundswell NZ briefing notes - Stuff.co.nz - December 9th, 2021
- ACT Party's boycott of RNZ's Morning Report caused by host comparing one of its policies to eugenics - Newshub - December 9th, 2021
- Dunne Speaks: Question Time Is Anything But - Scoop - December 9th, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: Most of New Zealand to start at orange, Auckland and lower-vaccinated areas to start at red - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: PM Jacinda Ardern on Covid, visit to Auckland, and National Party turmoil - New Zealand Herald - November 28th, 2021
- PM Jacinda Ardern: 'Throughout this pandemic one of the hardest things to do has been to plan' - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand PM Ardern backs Five Eyes, open to other alliances - Reuters - November 28th, 2021
- Leadership in the time of Covid is a thankless job, in politics and in sport - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- Time for the National Party to embrace kindness - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- 'Disappointing' National Party needs 'new vision' - Former PM - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern confident that DHBs will be able to cope with Covid-19 pressures over summer - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- Opposition angst as Ardern on top in NZ - Goulburn Post - November 21st, 2021
- NZ PM Jacinda Ardern admits vaccine passports will create ... - November 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern Daughter Crashes Her Livestream: "Well ... - November 17th, 2021
- Judith Collins questions timing of Jacinda Ardern's hint at early move into COVID-19 traffic light framework - Newshub - November 17th, 2021
- New Zealand PM Ardern welcomes signs of U.S. greater presence in Indo-Pacific - Reuters - November 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's hosting of APEC has 'shifted the dial', Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- PM Jacinda Ardern announces boost to Working for Families payments - The Global Herald - The Global Herald - November 7th, 2021
- 'Perhaps the largest middle-class support scheme in the world' - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- On climate change, this is a Government of wimps - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- Waitangi commemorations set to be held virtually in 2022 due to COVID-19 - Newshub - November 7th, 2021
- Tova on 2020, and a special message for Jami-Lee Ross - Newsroom - November 7th, 2021
- Covid-19: Where has Jacinda Ardern, the great communicator gone? - Stuff.co.nz - November 1st, 2021
- New Zealand increases emissions reduction target - - November 1st, 2021
- Covid-19: Sweeping vaccine mandate to cover 40 per cent of workforce - Stuff.co.nz - November 1st, 2021
- Get vaccinated within a month or face the sack, Jacinda Ardern tells workers - Telegraph.co.uk - October 30th, 2021
- The reason Jacinda Ardern, Nanaia Mahuta think Three Waters will be a success - Newshub - October 30th, 2021
- Covid-19: What we do and don't know about how and when Aucklanders can cross the border - Stuff.co.nz - October 30th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Lord Ashcroft's New Zealand poll 'Living the Kiwi Dream?' reveals frustration growing - New Zealand Herald - October 30th, 2021
- Border changes keeping thousands of Kiwis in Australia from coming home criticised - SBS News - October 30th, 2021
- Is it to satisfy you or to satisfy us? Why New Zealands Pacific colony doesnt want independence - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Ardern's calm, cannabis farms, and a little bit of Liberace take the Thursday quiz - The Guardian - October 30th, 2021
- Straight Outta Hollywood: The Jacinda Ardern Humiliation Show ... - October 21st, 2021
- Covid-19 NZ: The biggest day for the Government since the first day of the first lockdown - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- 'You are holding the country to ransom': Promoter's plea to unvaccinated as summer plans still hang in the balance - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Three reasons why Jacinda Ardern's coronavirus response ... - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern an agenda-driven autocrat? | The ... - October 19th, 2021
- 10 times Jacinda Ardern was a true leader - NZ Labour Party - October 19th, 2021
- Everyday activities won't be available to the unvaccinated - Jacinda Ardern - RNZ - October 19th, 2021
- When will Aucklanders turn on Jacinda Ardern? - MacroBusiness - October 19th, 2021
- New Zealand increases climate aid ahead of UN summit - The Indian Express - October 19th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern New Zealand: 14 best quotes | The ... - October 17th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Arderns clumsy leadership response to Delta could still be the right approach - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern pours cold water on wedding allegations, saying staffer helping as a friend - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Scathing feedback from experts on Jacinda Ardern's traffic light system to replace alert levels - New Zealand Herald - October 17th, 2021
- What New Zealand's changing COVID strategy tells us about the pandemic's end - WBUR - October 17th, 2021
- Anniversary of a landslide: new research reveals what really swung New Zealand's 2020 'COVID election' - The Conversation AU - October 17th, 2021
- Covid 19: No change likely for Auckland, Waikato but alert levels now on borrowed time - Stuff.co.nz - October 17th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern | Biography, Facts, & Partner | Britannica - October 7th, 2021
- Jacinda Ardern's Leadership Against the Coronavirus - The ... - October 7th, 2021
- Why Jacinda Ardern giving up on eliminating COVID-19 is a political gamble for the popular PM - ABC News - October 7th, 2021
- Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern - Prime Minister of New Zealand - NZ ... - October 7th, 2021