Dismayed about her fathers advancing dementia, Shin investigates how the latest advances in robotics and artificial intelligence might be able to preserve an individuals consciousness even beyond the grave.
She pays a call on Swami G, a pastor in the church of Terasem, a Transhumanist sect that believes in using technology to expand the limits of human life. His motto is Make Eternity Great Again and he believes the soul has the potential to be immortal if a persons data are collected and stored in a mind file. Facebook has your mind file, Amazon has your mind file, Google, the N[ational] S[ecurity] A[gency], he says. Everyone has your mind file except for you.
But how to transfer this mind file into some receptacle that will contain it forever? Scientists have developed 3-D avatars that can take on a persons bodily form, preserve their knowledge, memories, and all their individual characteristics, and enable them to communicate with the living. Deepak Chopra, the spiritual guru, whose books have sold millions of copies, now has a virtual, digital 3-D clone that has been boning up on his oeuvre, his memories, and the ephemera of his life. It so resembles the original Deepak Chopra that it elicits gasps from Michael Strahan and Kelly Ripa when it speaks on their talk show Live! with Kelly and Michael. I am training to serve as your infinite well-being guide, the avatar says.
You have been warned.
Shin volunteers to have a similar avatar made of herself. Eww, she says when she sees the work in progress. Maybe this is what Freud was talking about in his essay on the uncanny.
Meanwhile, in Japan, scientists have been devising humanoid robots that look like the androids in Steven Spielbergs A.I: Artificial Intelligence (2001) . One of the scientists poses next to a replica of himself that he has created, and the resemblance is, well, uncanny. Creepier still are the organoids, spawned in petri dishes, brain tissue grown from stem cells. When hooked up with a spiderlike robot, these brainlets can make it walk haltingly at first, but then with increasingly sinister purpose.
Shin demonstrates an eclectic, inventive style. She applies artful animation to illustrate concepts, juxtaposes images artfully, and includes germane snippets from movies. Like the scene in Blade Runner (1982) in which the android played by Rutger Hauer delivers the famous soliloquy that ends, All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.
A.rtificial I.mmortality can be streamed via Syndicado on Apple TV, Google TV, InDemand, and Vudu, beginning Jan. 11. Go to http://www.artificialimmortality.ca.
Perhaps you dont need to rely on the latest A.I. technology to attain immortality. The scientists in Frauke Sandig and Eric Blacks Aware: Glimpses of Consciousness (2021) dont try to reconstruct a mind artificially to uncover its secrets. They examine the evidence that exists, physical and spiritual, in hopes of learning how consciousness works and how it can be extended.
With his team of 300 researchers, Christof Koch, one of the worlds foremost neuroscientists and head of the Allen Institute for Brain Science, in Seattle, examines minute slices of brain tissue under an electron microscope. But he doubts he will unravel the mystery of consciousness by studying the hardware. What is it about this piece of gray goo that gives rise to the feeling of love? he asks. He recalls once taking magic mushrooms and comprehending the beating heart of existence. Later he could not explain what he experienced. It is ineffable, he says. But was the perception real or just a pleasurable figment conjured up by the gray goo? Is there a difference?
Molecular biologist and Tibetan Buddhist monk Matthieu Ricard believes that looking outward at phenomena, as is the practice of most Western science, wont answer such questions. The key to the mystery lies within, the pure awareness that is the essence of reality. Psychedelic drugs are unnecessary meditation and the stripping away of the self and ego can achieve this. But is this eternal life or the end of individual existence?
Monica Gagliano, a biologist and professor at the University of Sydney, has applied scrupulous scientific methods to prove the seemingly unscientific fact that plants are conscious entities that hear, see, communicate, learn, remember, and feel pain. They communicate in an interconnected network of consciousness. Perhaps people are part of that network, and all sentient beings. But wouldnt this fact mean that even a vegan diet causes pain? What could you eat for lunch?
Like Koch, Gagliano thinks that psychedelics can be a tool in her research. With the Mayan healer Josefa Kirvin Kulix, she visits a remote Mexican village where the culture revolves around the hallucinogenic peyote cactus. Gagliano participates in a peyote ceremony in which the villagers chant before a fire. The hypnotic cadence seems to lull her into a state of serenity. But when the villagers drag in a bull and cut its throat she covers her eyes in anguish.
Aware: Glimpses of Consciousness can be streamed on demand beginning on Jan. 7. Go to aware-film.com.
Peter Keough can be reached at email@example.com.
Continue reading here:
Looking for intimations of immortality - The Boston Globe
- Henry Kyereme: Could advances in technology undermine the future of humans? - Myjoyonline - July 7th, 2022
- Iris Van Herpen Explores Life Beyond the Physical Realm for A/W 22 Couture - vmagazine.com - July 7th, 2022
- Virtual Beauty, Virtual Freedom, Virtual Love: Is the Metaverse Our Future? - PRESSENZA International News Agency - July 7th, 2022
- Network TV Hasn't Been The Same Since This Sci-Fi Drama Left The Air - Looper - July 4th, 2022
- The myth of 'artificial intelligence' - spiked - Spiked - July 4th, 2022
- Fulton Sheens July 4 Declaration of Dependence - National Catholic Register - July 4th, 2022
- All Agents Defect: Espionage in the Films of David Cronenberg - CrimeReads - June 22nd, 2022
- Tune In: The Art of the Videogame Soundtrack - Highbrow Magazine - June 11th, 2022
- It's been 10 years since Prometheus, what can the reboot teach the Alien TV show? - TechRadar - June 11th, 2022
- Religious Transhumanism 11: What about the body? | cybernetic immortality - Patheos - May 28th, 2022
- Elon Musk is promoting transhumanism as part of Agenda 2030. - Logically - May 28th, 2022
- PEW and transhumanism: Public has mixed concerns about arriving era of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and human enhancement - Genetic Literacy Project - May 28th, 2022
- David Cronenberg Gets Back to Basics in Crimes of the Future - Vanity Fair - May 28th, 2022
- Painting on Another Plane: Mandy Cao - MutualArt.com - May 28th, 2022
- Have Authoritarians Used 1984 as a Handbook? - Verve Times - May 28th, 2022
- How to Grow and Forage Without Owning Land - Verve Times - May 28th, 2022
- Meet the Human Battery, a New Source of "Green" Energy - Verve Times - May 20th, 2022
- This Years Venice Biennale is Full of Surrealism and Stark Reminders - Yahoo News - May 20th, 2022
- Is it possible to transplant heads? - BioEdge - May 20th, 2022
- The Best Movies Of 2022 So Far - /Film - May 20th, 2022
- Future of work: the top careers of the next decade - The Age - May 17th, 2022
- Kriya Announces $270 Million Series C Financing to Advance Fully Integrated Gene Therapy Engine - Business Wire - May 17th, 2022
- Five Standout Films Coming To Cannes This Year [Trailers] - 2oceansvibe News - May 17th, 2022
- Cannes 2022: 10 movies to watch out for in this years festival - The Guardian - May 17th, 2022
- On the Gnostic Ironies of Poets Nathaniel Mackey and Fanny Howe - Literary Hub - May 17th, 2022
- Dismantling the Transhumanist Agenda - The Post & Email - May 6th, 2022
- Endowed by their Creator: exploring human rights in the age of transhumanism - The Sociable - May 6th, 2022
- 5 Screen Narratives Reckoning with Technology - The Gospel Coalition - May 6th, 2022
- David Cronenbergs Crimes of the Future trailer shows return to sci-fi body horror - Polygon - April 15th, 2022
- How the generation that refuses to grow old and feel pain invented assisted suicide News Release India - News Release India - April 15th, 2022
- "When Humans Become Cyborgs." A Glimpse Into the World ... - March 29th, 2022
- Dr. Zelenko Crimes Against Humanity and the Transhumanist ... - March 29th, 2022
- CS Lewis's Space Trilogy: A Guide to Living on Earth - The Stream - March 29th, 2022
- Recycling old antivax tropes as bioethics-based arguments against COVID-19 vaccination for children - Science Based Medicine - March 29th, 2022
- Five Thoughts on Star Trek: Picard's The Star Gazer Multiversity Comics - Multiversity Comics - March 11th, 2022
- Transhumanism and the Evolution Connection - Answers in Genesis - February 24th, 2022
- After Winning Big on Crypto, Olaf Carlson-Wee Wants to Change the World - Interview - February 24th, 2022
- Who Is Anastasia Synn, Widow of Magician The Amazing Johnathan? - We Got This Covered - February 24th, 2022
- The 20th FIFDH announces its programme - Cineuropa - February 24th, 2022
- What Do Men Want Review Guys and Dolls in the Digital Age - The Boar - February 24th, 2022
- Transhumanist Party - Wikipedia - February 21st, 2022
- Anti-vaxx 'expert' claims vaccines will turn people into ... - February 21st, 2022
- The Myth of Aging Gracefully - transhumanist-party.org - February 21st, 2022
- Hybrid Humans by Harry Parker review man and machine in harmony - The Guardian - February 21st, 2022
- Guardians of the Galaxy launch sales "undershot expectations" - Gamesradar - February 21st, 2022
- 10 of the most outrageous things that have ever happened at CPAC - indy100 - February 21st, 2022
- Are chips in brains the next phase of advancement? - The Baylor Lariat - February 11th, 2022
- A Covid Bishop is the last thing my Church needs - UnHerd - February 9th, 2022
- Prominent Christian doctor claims COVID vaccines will turn people into transhumanist cyborgs - LGBTQ Nation - February 5th, 2022
- When the Pope Hits Your Eye Like a Big Pizza Pie, That's Ahmari - Tablet Magazine - February 5th, 2022
- FALSE: COVID-19 vaccines eliminate 'God Particle' in the body - Rappler - January 19th, 2022
- Professor Explains How to Be a God - Discovery Institute - January 19th, 2022
- 8 of the Best Films Coming Out in 2022 - LeftLion - January 19th, 2022
- Artificial Intelligence in the Age of Transhumanism - Digital Journal - January 13th, 2022
- Transhumanism, virtual internships and other cool stuff that top 7 tech startups have to offer in 2022 - News Hour Press India - January 13th, 2022
- Podcasting Legends Joe Rogan And Adam Curry Discuss Crypto And The Metaverse | Bitcoinist.com - bitcoinist.com - January 13th, 2022
- From whodunnits to cerebral sci-fi: what movie trends will 2022 bring? - The Guardian - January 13th, 2022
- What lies on the other side of the UKs Omicron wave? | Omicron variant - newsconcerns - January 13th, 2022
- What is cyberpunk and are we already living in it? - ZME Science - January 7th, 2022
- Values of the U.S. Transhumanist Party U.S ... - January 3rd, 2022
- Significant Issues of 2021 VCY America - VCY America - January 3rd, 2022
- AI and Ethics | James McGrath - Patheos - January 3rd, 2022
- Another Year Without A Family Christmas? - newsconcerns - December 25th, 2021
- The Matrix Resurrections: The Studio Is Making Us Do This! - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - December 25th, 2021
- The Glorious Evolution of Arcanes Viktor - Hotspawn - December 22nd, 2021
- Digital art pioneer Marjan Moghaddam's retrospective in the Metaverse at MOCDA - whitehotmagazine.com - December 22nd, 2021
- The Matrix Online may have died in 2009, but there's still a ghost in the machine - PC Gamer - December 22nd, 2021
- 'The Real Anthony Fauci: Bill Gates, Big Pharma, And The Global War On Democracy And Public Health' Book Review - Eurasia Review - December 17th, 2021
- Will We Ever Cheat Death and Become Immortal With Mind Uploading? - Interesting Engineering - December 13th, 2021
- Bioethicists Okay Human Extinction - Discovery Institute - December 13th, 2021
- Arca's 'KICK' Cycle Is an Explosive Exploration of Her Multidimensionality - Exclaim! - December 5th, 2021
- NecrosIA: waiting for the perfect death - Expat Guide to Switzerland - Expatica Switzerland - December 5th, 2021
- Google (Doodle) honors Prof. Lotfi Zadeh of UC Berkeley (the Father of Fuzzy Logic), who was also an inventor in a Cognitive Explainable-AI... - December 1st, 2021
- Eurobio Scientific Launches the First Pcr Test Allowing Simultaneous Sars-Cov-2 Virus Screening and Detection of the Delta and Omicron Variants in a... - December 1st, 2021
- U.S. Transhumanist Party Official Website U.S ... - November 7th, 2021
- The billion dollar race to defy ageing is the last thing the planet needs - The Guardian - November 7th, 2021
- The QAnon Doctor Pushing Wild Conspiracies About the COVID ... - October 17th, 2021
- Humans are the only beings who can take responsibility for the world, there are no others: Thomas Fuchs - The Hindu - October 17th, 2021
- PinkPantheress 'to hell with it' Review: The TikTok Phenom's Debut Mixtape - Stereogum - October 17th, 2021
- David Cronenberg is ready for the terrifying future, as both director and actor, too - The Globe and Mail - October 3rd, 2021