Most transhumanists emphasize only the benefits that their movement would supposedly bring to the human race. Perhaps they omit possible problems because, like all Culture of Death movements, they lack even the most fundamental understanding of human nature. So their primary problem seems to be not dishonesty, but ignorance.
Ever since humanitys beginnings, we seem to have possessed an innate capability to murder each other. This urge manifests itself in many ways. For example, we first thoroughly examine any emerging technology in order to assess its potential to either wage war or to support it (although to be fair, an amazing number of inventions have emerged from war-related research).These inventions and techniques include computers, nuclear power, tracked vehicles, flashlights, practical jet engines, air traffic control, radar, radio navigation, synthetic rubber and oil, pressurized cabins for aircraft, drones, and countless medical advances such as penicillin and mobile X-ray machines.
Some transhumanists recognize this danger: Julian Savulescu, Director of The Oxford Center for Neuroethics, believes that making humans much more intelligent will endanger our race because of our propensity to evaluate new tech as weaponry as soon as it appears. Without doubt, the practical application of transhumanism would produce devastating weapons of war. Imagine facing a nation that could field entire battalions of Captain Americas!
Because of the possibility of transhumans bringing mass destruction to our own race, Savulescu would like to accompany our physical enhancements with an improved system of morality via genetic engineering and hormone therapy in order to make us more cooperative and altruistic. In other words, we would all become designer babies.
The problem, of course, is the question of who decides what is moral. Under a transhumanist regime, the true Christian vision would be entirely shut out because it would refuse to cooperate, knowing that being artificially reconstructed physically, mentally and morally is certainly not Gods will for our lives. So the elite, despite their dismal record, would be left to make the decisions. Savulescu argues that, since we already allow embryo selection and selective abortions to eliminate diseased embryos and fetuses, there should be no objection to using these methods to choose other genetic traits.1
This shows that the Christian vision is already being ignored during the long march to the Singularity.
The third point of the Transhumanist Declaration states, We recognize that humanity faces serious risks, especially from the misuse of new technologies. There are possible realistic scenarios that lead to the loss of most, or even all, of what we hold valuable. For Christians, a world without our Savior would be the ultimate nightmare.
Nobody not even transhumanists denies that the Humanity+ movement will lead to even greater disparities between rich and poor. Just look at our record regarding inequality between the developed and developing nations.
The average life span of Americans has improved from 48 years in 1900 to 79 years now.2 The great majority of this is due to the availability of clean drinking water and better health care. However, more than one-fourth of Africans do not even have clean drinking water.3 Even multi-billionaires like Bill Gates recognize this disparity; he said, It seems pretty egocentric while we still have malaria and TB [tuberculosis] for rich people to fund things so they can live longer.
Members of the unthinking elite always lead the charge into morally questionable activities. If it makes them feel progressive and good about themselves, they are all for it!
The world has always been populated with Utopians, those who desire a perfect world. This concept has taken many forms, from massive social movements such as Communism, Socialism and Nazism to tiny communes in Oregon.
The grander visions are invariably doomed to fail because, in order to get to the final point, there must be an intermediate stage where a strictly authoritarian regime takes over and reorganizes society in order to realize the Utopia. The most common of such systems, Communism, would be a perfect system for humanity if not for our pesky imperfect human nature and the worship we owe to our Creator. And so, after the authoritarians take over, they get comfortable on top of the heap and simply cannot let go of control. So millions die while millions more live in abject misery.
The process of establishing an ideal society must always include the coercion and the exclusion of those who refuse to go along. Anyone who thinks that life-enhancing and life-extending technology (which will inevitably be hugely expensive) will not also lead to a have-have not society is criminally nave. And those who think that transhumanism will not lead to unheard-of atrocities are equally oblivious. As already mentioned, Culture of Death movements cannot admit defeat; they simply claim that their ideas werent taken far enough, and are always eager to try again.As historian Elof Carlson writes, Eugenics failed because it was not scientific enough.The role of eugenics in our time is in maximizing [hereditary] information and its availability to those who need it and minimizing the temptation to use the State as the means of enforcing eugenic ideals.4
Eugenicists always accompany their bland assurances with such empty promises.
Liberals claim to be outraged by the great gulf between the resources allotted to the poor and to the rich. Well, with transhumanism, we can say they aint seen nothin yet!
We have always had eugenics with us, from societies that simply discarded sick newborns outside the city gates to the social engineers in a dozen European nations who deemed who is worthy of life and who is not. If the transhumanist idea of self-evolution sounds familiar, it should; it is the latest and most virulent expression of the movement that spawned Germanys Holocaust.
Of most concern to pro-lifers is that transhumanism will have a profound impact upon human procreation if it becomes the dominant philosophy. The most influential transhumanist thinkers believe that all babies should be conceived via artificial means using the gametes of licensed parents, then thoroughly screened in order to eliminate all defects, and grown in synthetic wombs to ensure that only the fittest humans are produced. As one transhumanist writer has said, When responsible child rearing is more highly valued than biological parenthood, we will be procreating as transhumans.
This is not a new idea. In 1992, Time Magazine speculated:
It is reasonable to ask whether there will be a family at all. Given the propensity for divorce, the growing number of adults who choose to remain single, the declining popularity of having children and the evaporation of the time families spend together, another way may eventually evolve. It may be quicker and more efficient to dispense with family-based reproduction. Society could then produce its future generations in institutions that might resemble state-sponsored baby hatcheries.5
We have already embarked upon what will become the latest corpse-strewn march to perfection; more than 90% of all Downs syndrome children detected before birth are aborted in most Western nations, and Iceland now publicly brags that it has entirely eliminated them. In a transhumanist system, perfection is the primary survival trait. And, if the history of earlier eugenics movements is any indication, so will be the color of ones skin.
Interestingly, the 1997 movie Gattaca shows us what a transhumanist society would look like. It depicts a society sharply divided into two categories of people the Valids, who have been conceived with IVF and have been thoroughly screened, and the Invalids, conceived naturally. The Valids have their choice of occupations, and whatever is left over is assigned to the Invalids.
Already, some of the elite are (perhaps) unconsciously imitating the film. One of these is Julian Savulescu, who promotes what he calls procreative beneficence. He claims that it would be better for society if we allow only genetically superior children to be born: If we have the power to intervene in the nature of our offspring rather than consigning them to the natural lottery then we should. His general plan, which is eerily reminiscent of the Nazis Lebensborn eugenics program, is to enlist the genetically superior to create millions of embryos via in-vitro fertilization, apply rigorous preimplantation genetic diagnosis to all of them, and then implant only the best. He does not give us many details on what kind of people he considers superior, but, based upon descriptions provided by many previous eugenicists, we can make an educated guess.
In short, in the minds of influential transhumanist thinkers, a transhumanist society would be a society of test-tube babies, created apart from the natural environment of human conception.
The first casualty of such Utopian visions is common sense, brought on by an utter ignorance of human nature. The second thing to be tossed aside is personal choice. It is human nature to want to keep up with others. Once some people begin to augment themselves, others will feel compelled to do the same, by removing and replacing perfectly good eyes, ears and limbs just to keep up at their jobs and in their social circles. At this point, transhumanism will make man a slave to the technology he craves. And the wise know that there is no happiness or contentment in slavery, whether it be to drugs, sex, fashion, money, power or the latest style of artificial arm.
These grand projects may seem ludicrous, but we should remember that revolutions always begin with just a handful of people talking about them people like Margaret Sanger, Jack Kevorkian, Larry Lader and Bernard Nathanson (before he reformed).
And their revolutions always end in death.
 Richard Weikart. Can We Make Ourselves More Moral? Designer Babies, Hormone Therapy, and the New Eugenics of Transhumanism. Lifeissues.net, June 6, 2016.
 United States Census Bureau. Statistical Abstract of the United States(Washington, D.C., 2012 Edition), Table 104, Expectation of Life at Birth, 1970 to 2008, and Projections, 2010 to 2020.
 The 2016 Edition of the CIA World Factbook.
 Jan Witkowski and John Inglis, editors. Davenports Dream: 21st Century Reflections on Heredity and Eugenics. Cold Spring Harbor, New York: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, 2008. Kyle Munkittrick. When Will We Be Transhuman? Seven Conditions for Attaining Transhumanism. Discover, July 16, 2011.
 Time Magazine Fall 1992 Special Issue titled Beyond the Year 2000: What to Expect in the New Millennium.
Continue reading here:
4 Problems with Transhumanism - Human Life International
- Your Favorites Radio | All your favorite songs and artists - iHeartRadio - November 15th, 2023 [November 15th, 2023]
- Can't Miss Indie Press Speculative Fiction for November and ... - tor.com - November 15th, 2023 [November 15th, 2023]
- There Is No Cure for Your Cognitive Dissonance - Psychology Today - November 15th, 2023 [November 15th, 2023]
- Todays best Android app deals: Codex of Victory, Cosmic Express, Good Snowman, more - 9to5Toys - November 15th, 2023 [November 15th, 2023]
- It is a beast that needs to be tamed: leading novelists on how AI could rewrite the future - The Guardian - November 15th, 2023 [November 15th, 2023]
- These AI Companies Want to Bring You Back From the Dead - Yahoo Finance - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- What is posthumanism? And should you worry about it? - Aleteia - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Exploring the Intersection of Gene Editing, AI, and Posthumanism - hackernoon.com - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Aliens are silent because they may be going extinct part 2 - Interesting Engineering - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Ray Kurzweil Predicts: The Singularity by 2045 - Discovery Institute - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- A Conversation About God | Dr. John Lennox - The Daily Wire - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- 'Billions' of megalomaniacal humanoids could, one day, ambush the ... - Robotics and Automation News - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- 3rd Annual ELTS Graduate Student Conference: Speculative ... - UCLA International Institute - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Donna Haraway's Children: Meet the Dynamic Young Artists Who ... - Cultured Magazine - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Scary Movies for Anarchists to Watch at the End of the World - CounterPunch - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Data Summit 2023: shaping the future of AI and Data - Scottish Business News - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Ghost Work and the Enduring Necessity of Human Labor - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - November 8th, 2023 [November 8th, 2023]
- Joe Allen on Transhumanism and the War Against Humanity - Literary Hub - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Comparative Criticism #3: Alienation and the Other in Citizen Sleeper and Severance - SUPERJUMP - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- AI aspiring to be human, humans transforming into machines: Art ... - CyberNews.com - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Alien TV series: Plot, cast, release date and everything we know - Yahoo Lifestyle UK - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Warhammer 40K is host to the most evil elves possible and I adore them - Polygon - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Traditional Perspectives on Philosophy - pt. 1: Voluntarism - OnePeterFive - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Red Pills or Therapy - Ricochet.com - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Accusations of a Government Cover-Up Dominate Congressional UFO Hearing - Decrypt - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Can Twitter X be the West's answer to WeChat? - CyberNews.com - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- What if everybody decided not to have children? The philosopher questioning humanitys future - The Guardian - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Elon Musk Appoints Dan Hendrycks as Advisor to xAI Startup - Fagen wasanni - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- The Rich Are Splurging on Biohacking Clubs to Cheat Death - Decrypt - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Anton Vidokle on the Cinema of the Stars - Ocula Magazine - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- The day the bubble burst: Akira and Japan's economic 'miracle' - Canadian Dimension - July 27th, 2023 [July 27th, 2023]
- Ex-Google engineer says humans will achieve immortality in 7 years; here's how netizens reacted - Business Today - April 6th, 2023 [April 6th, 2023]
- Super-intelligence and eternal life: transhumanism's faithful follow it ... - March 31st, 2023 [March 31st, 2023]
- Pioneering Transhumanism: a conversation with Natasha Vita-More - February 5th, 2023 [February 5th, 2023]
- Transhumanism: Examining the risks, benefits, and ethical implications ... - January 25th, 2023 [January 25th, 2023]
- Noted Transhumanist Now Targeting Our Children: Whats inside Yuval ... - January 10th, 2023 [January 10th, 2023]
- Humans Will Never Colonize Mars - Gizmodo - January 10th, 2023 [January 10th, 2023]
- Ghost in the Shell (1995) - IMDb - December 28th, 2022 [December 28th, 2022]
- The Transhumanist Agenda Behind Bidens Executive Order on Advancing ... - December 28th, 2022 [December 28th, 2022]
- The Missing Plan for Alien First Contact to Pro-and-Anti-UFO Factions in U.S. Government (Planet Earth Report) - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries... - November 8th, 2022 [November 8th, 2022]
- Biden Signs Executive Order Designed to Unleash "Transhumanist Hell" on ... - November 7th, 2022 [November 7th, 2022]
- Biden transhumanist executive order: We need to program biology ... - November 7th, 2022 [November 7th, 2022]
- Meaning of life - Wikipedia - November 7th, 2022 [November 7th, 2022]
- Take years off your age: this Israeli expert says its all up to you - Haaretz - November 7th, 2022 [November 7th, 2022]
- Transhumanism: advances in technology could already put evolution into ... - October 30th, 2022 [October 30th, 2022]
- Bidens Executive Order Designed to Release Transhumanist Hell on ... - October 30th, 2022 [October 30th, 2022]
- Biden's Executive Order Advances Biotech-Transhumanist Agenda ... - October 23rd, 2022 [October 23rd, 2022]
- Elon Musks Neuralink allegedly subjected monkeys to extreme suffering - October 23rd, 2022 [October 23rd, 2022]
- Doomsday bunkers, Mars and 'The Mindset': the tech bros trying to outsmart the end of the world - The Conversation Indonesia - October 8th, 2022 [October 8th, 2022]
- Is the body key to understanding consciousness? - - October 8th, 2022 [October 8th, 2022]
- Nvidia and the 3D Future of the Internet - TechNewsWorld - October 8th, 2022 [October 8th, 2022]
- I have to ask: Did anything happen to you with the 0010110 social media mystery? Are you still with us? - Alan Cross - A Journal of Musical Things - August 30th, 2022 [August 30th, 2022]
- If the US is Nineveh, Then Canada is Sodom - The Stream - August 30th, 2022 [August 30th, 2022]
- Gaming Adventures You Don't Want To Miss In 2022 - Gamesreviews - August 30th, 2022 [August 30th, 2022]
- The theory behind conspiracy - The Spectator Australia - August 30th, 2022 [August 30th, 2022]
- What is Creation? | What is Creation? - Patheos - August 30th, 2022 [August 30th, 2022]
- Transhumanism Humanity+ - August 25th, 2022 [August 25th, 2022]
- Become your true self - Freedom of Form Foundation - August 25th, 2022 [August 25th, 2022]
- Ghosts, Mummies, and Robots in Buddhism - Buddhistdoor Global - August 25th, 2022 [August 25th, 2022]
- The Biggest Threat to Humanity? Black Goo - WIRED - August 25th, 2022 [August 25th, 2022]
- You Cant Back the Murder of Alexander Dugin Then Whine About Salman Rushdie Or Attacks on American Neocons - The Stream - August 25th, 2022 [August 25th, 2022]
- Android app deals of the day: Codex of Victory, Scalak, Reminder Pro, more - 9to5Toys - August 25th, 2022 [August 25th, 2022]
- Whatever happened to transhumanism? - BioEdge - August 23rd, 2022 [August 23rd, 2022]
- Who needs religion when you've got these clowns promoting bad ideas? - Freethought Blogs - August 23rd, 2022 [August 23rd, 2022]
- The Importance of Medical Ethics Highlighted During the 75Th Anniversary of the Nuremberg Code - The Epoch Times - August 23rd, 2022 [August 23rd, 2022]
- History of a hard man: Neil Balme memoir stands out from the pack - Sydney Morning Herald - August 23rd, 2022 [August 23rd, 2022]
- Henry Kyereme: Could advances in technology undermine the future of humans? - Myjoyonline - July 7th, 2022 [July 7th, 2022]
- Iris Van Herpen Explores Life Beyond the Physical Realm for A/W 22 Couture - vmagazine.com - July 7th, 2022 [July 7th, 2022]
- Virtual Beauty, Virtual Freedom, Virtual Love: Is the Metaverse Our Future? - PRESSENZA International News Agency - July 7th, 2022 [July 7th, 2022]
- Network TV Hasn't Been The Same Since This Sci-Fi Drama Left The Air - Looper - July 4th, 2022 [July 4th, 2022]
- The myth of 'artificial intelligence' - spiked - Spiked - July 4th, 2022 [July 4th, 2022]
- Fulton Sheens July 4 Declaration of Dependence - National Catholic Register - July 4th, 2022 [July 4th, 2022]
- All Agents Defect: Espionage in the Films of David Cronenberg - CrimeReads - June 22nd, 2022 [June 22nd, 2022]
- Tune In: The Art of the Videogame Soundtrack - Highbrow Magazine - June 11th, 2022 [June 11th, 2022]
- It's been 10 years since Prometheus, what can the reboot teach the Alien TV show? - TechRadar - June 11th, 2022 [June 11th, 2022]
- Religious Transhumanism 11: What about the body? | cybernetic immortality - Patheos - May 28th, 2022 [May 28th, 2022]
- Elon Musk is promoting transhumanism as part of Agenda 2030. - Logically - May 28th, 2022 [May 28th, 2022]
- PEW and transhumanism: Public has mixed concerns about arriving era of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and human enhancement - Genetic Literacy Project - May 28th, 2022 [May 28th, 2022]
- David Cronenberg Gets Back to Basics in Crimes of the Future - Vanity Fair - May 28th, 2022 [May 28th, 2022]
- Painting on Another Plane: Mandy Cao - MutualArt.com - May 28th, 2022 [May 28th, 2022]