The two partners will work together to identify areas ripe for innovation, hire a Founding Analyst to evaluate potential approaches for scientific and commercial viability, build teams around the optimal approaches, and create one or more high-impact ventures.
As well as improving patient outcomes, the partnership hopes to spur innovation in the sector and open up job opportunities.
The CGT Catapult was established as an independent center of excellence to advance the UK cell and gene therapy industry, bridging the gap between scientific research and full-scale commercialization. Deep Science Ventures, meanwhile, uses a unique venture creation process to create, spin-out and invest into science companies: earmarking high-impact ventures across pharmaceuticals, energy, agriculture and computation.
Recent advances in cell and gene therapies promise potential cures to some of mankind's most devastating diseases, the partners said as they announced their collaboration.
However, major hurdles still need to be overcome, including ensuring target specificity and effective manufacturing at scale.
This collaboration will leverage Deep Science Ventures novel outcome-focused approach to venture creation, which combines available scientific knowledge and founder-type scientists into high-impact ventures. CGT Catapult will provide its cell and gene therapy-specific technical, non-clinical and regulatory expertise to apply Deep Science Ventures approach to the ATMP sector.
Deep Science Ventures has so far built and invested in nine brand new companies in the curative therapeutics space, including three oncology ventures last year with Cancer Research UK. The nine companies are ConcR, ImmTune, Enedra, Neobe and Stratosvir (oncology); Reflection Therapeutics (neurodegeneration) and CC Bio and Ancilia (microbiome and AMR).
Only 10% of drugs succeed at Phase 3 clinical trials. DSV says the current rate of therapeutic failure is unsustainable and unnecessary: with various reasons ranging from poor models to lack of specificity.
It says the emergency of personalized and precision therapeutics creates the opportunity to address entrenched and repeated failures across the process of bringing a new product to market.
This includes leveraging computation to unpick complex dynamic systems, move the computation into the therapeutic itself, address root causes directly and drive the creation of better models and markers.
At DSV we aim to get back to first principles and understand the root cause and bottlenecks that have led to past failures. Not just failures in the science but perhaps even more importantly, to discover the gaps and biases in the innovation pipeline.
Our approach is to forge a less linear R&D process identifying analytical and model approaches that fully capture complexity and patient specificity; and force a truly multi-stakeholder creation process with academics, venture capital, charities and industry engaged in the design process from day one.
CGT Catapult will be speaking in our upcoming webinar: 'Cell and gene therapies: How can their promise be realized?'. Register for free here.
- Silencing a faulty gene may uncover clues to rare forms of ALS - National Institutes of Health - January 27th, 2022
- Their DNA Hides a Warning, but They Dont Want to Know What It Says - The New York Times - January 27th, 2022
- BridgeBio Pharma Announces Dosing of First Patient in Phase 1/2 Trial of Investigational Gene Therapy for Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) -... - January 27th, 2022
- Gene therapy shows promise at treating severe form of epilepsy - Freethink - January 27th, 2022
- FDA Pulls on the Reins for Mustang's Gene Therapy as Others Advance - BioSpace - January 27th, 2022
- Researchers identify proteins that could predict liver transplant rejection - EurekAlert - January 27th, 2022
- FDA Clears MCO-010 Gene Therapy as IND for Stargardt Macular Degeneration - MD Magazine - January 27th, 2022
- The Role of the Placenta in Maternal Mental Health - News-Medical.net - January 27th, 2022
- EdiGene Enters Strategic R&D Collaboration with Haihe Laboratory of Cell Ecosystem to Develop Hematopoietic Stem Cell Regenerative Therapies and... - January 27th, 2022
- Bertrand Coste and the pressure receptor - American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology - January 27th, 2022
- Overview: Gene Structure - Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine ... - December 23rd, 2021
- Bluebird, Editas: Gene Editing Stocks Had A Tough Year. Will 2022 Be Better? - Forbes - December 23rd, 2021
- Triangle gene editing firms CEO: There is a revolution occurring in medicine - WRAL TechWire - December 23rd, 2021
- Integra Therapeutics Q&A: building next-generation gene editing tools - pharmaceutical-technology.com - December 23rd, 2021
- Global Regenerative Medicine Market is Expected to Reach USD 57.08 Billion by 2027, Growing at a CAGR of 11.27% Over the Forecast Period. -... - December 23rd, 2021
- Gene Mutation Found that is Linked to the Development of Kidney Disease - Clinical OMICs News - December 23rd, 2021
- Vaccines are just the beginning for RNA. The technology is being tested on heart and liver diseases. - The Philadelphia Inquirer - December 23rd, 2021
- A look at prospects for the US gene therapy industry - BioPharma-Reporter.com - December 23rd, 2021
- Novartis to acquire Gyroscope Therapeutics, adding a one-time gene therapy that could transform care for geographic atrophy, a leading cause of... - December 23rd, 2021
- Betagenon co-founder publishes that AMPK activator O304 prevents gene expression changes and remobilisation of histone marks in islets of diet-induced... - December 23rd, 2021
- CUIMC Year in Review: Health News - Columbia University Irving Medical Center - December 23rd, 2021
- EP. 6B: Phenotypic Theranostics in the Future of Precision Medicine - Targeted Oncology - December 23rd, 2021
- Emendo Biotherapeutics and Seattle Children's Research Institute Announce Collaboration to Develop CRISPR-based Therapeutic Strategy for Severe... - December 23rd, 2021
- Open letter to employees, technologists, professionals and physicians of the Optilab laboratory medicine clusters in Quebec - McGill University Health... - December 23rd, 2021
- First variant of concern evolved to evade immune system - EurekAlert - December 23rd, 2021
- Double vaccinated and still infected with Omicron? Heres how long you should isolate - The Indian Express - December 23rd, 2021
- Genetic Tests Prompt Therapy Adjustments in Epilepsy - Medscape - December 22nd, 2021
- How to Know What Strain of COVID-19 You Have - Do Doctors Know What Variant You Have? - Prevention.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Low expression of PLAT in Breast cancer | IJGM - Dove Medical Press - December 22nd, 2021
- Outlook on the Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products CDMO Global Market to 2028 - Rising Number of Clinical Trials for ATMP is Driving Growth -... - December 22nd, 2021
- MiNA Therapeutics Appoints Two Independent Directors With Extensive Industry Experience to Support Next Phase of Growth - BioSpace - December 22nd, 2021
- New gene therapy could provide cure for sickle cell disease, according to UAB study - The Mix - December 19th, 2021
- Durham gene therapy plant to help Pfizer develop treatments for rare diseases - WRAL Tech Wire - December 19th, 2021
- Researchers zero in on therapeutic target for aggressive uterine cancer - Michigan Medicine - December 19th, 2021
- Generation Bio shares halved as hemophilia gene therapy hunt goes back to square one - FierceBiotech - December 19th, 2021
- URMC & RIT faculty awarded patent for gene transfer technology that could transform cancer therapies - URMC - December 19th, 2021
- Very important pharmacogene variants in the Blang population | PGPM - Dove Medical Press - December 19th, 2021
- Gene Sequencing Market Research, Analysis and Global Study |Roche, Johnson & Johnson, Illumina, Thermo Fisher Scientific - Digital Journal - December 19th, 2021
- Global Gene Editing Market Research Report 2021 Featuring CRISPR, GenScript, Horizon Discovery Group, Integrated DNA Technologies and New England... - December 19th, 2021
- Association between the anti-aging protein klotho with sleep | IJGM - Dove Medical Press - December 19th, 2021
- Covid-19: 7 Nigeria returnees admitted to Chennais Kings Institute of Preventive Medicine for suspected - Free Press Journal - December 19th, 2021
- Tessera Therapeutics Adds New Executives to its Leadership Team as the Company Continues to Pioneer Gene Writing Technology as New Category in Genetic... - December 13th, 2021
- Rare gene mutation in some Black Americans may allow earlier screening of heart failure - National Institutes of Health - December 13th, 2021
- Pfizer and Sangamo Announce Updated Phase 1/2 Results Showing Sustained Bleeding Control in Highest Dose Cohort Through Two Years Following Hemophilia... - December 13th, 2021
- On the hunt for new ALS drugs, researchers see progress, and a long road ahead - BioPharma Dive - December 13th, 2021
- Europe Cell and Gene Therapy Market Size to Reach Revenues of USD 2.9 Billion by 2026 - Arizton - PRNewswire - December 13th, 2021
- Researchers Dig Up Genes and Cells Related to Skull Formation in Mice - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - December 13th, 2021
- Syrian refugee is thriving five years after last-gasp gene therapy - STAT - STAT - December 13th, 2021
- The perils of flawed research and the ivermectin debacle - Medical News Today - December 13th, 2021
- Roche launches the AVENIO Edge System to simplify and automate next-generation sequencing sample preparation, reduce human error and advance precision... - December 13th, 2021
- Why Does The COVID-19 Virus 'Escape' From Our Immune Systems? - Texas A&M University Today - December 13th, 2021
- Hydra DNA Reveals Theres More Than One Way to Regrow a Head - The New York Times - December 13th, 2021
- Graphite Bio Presents Overview of Phase 1/2 CEDAR Trial Evaluating Investigational Gene Editing Therapy GPH101 in Sickle Cell Disease at 63rd ASH... - December 13th, 2021
- Use of Race in Clinical Diagnosis and Decision Making: Overview and Implications - Kaiser Family Foundation - December 13th, 2021
- Identification of Significantly Expressed Gene Mutations for Automated Classification of Benign and Malignant Prostate Cancer - DocWire News - December 13th, 2021
- VUMC: Gene Discoveries Give New Hope To People Who Stutter - Cannon Courier - December 13th, 2021
- Relationship among Homocysteine, Inflammation in AIS | NDT - Dove Medical Press - December 13th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Experimental Compound Displays Effectiveness in Treating Symptoms of Autism and Alzheimers Disease - SciTechDaily - December 13th, 2021
- '90 Day Fianc: Before the 90 Days': Everything to Know About Alina's Rare Medical Condition Diastrophic Dysplasia - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - December 13th, 2021
- Cincinnati Children's teams up with CTI on cell and gene therapies - The Lane Report - December 7th, 2021
- Is 'personalised medicine' the future of healthcare? - Tatler - December 7th, 2021
- Francis Collins on medical advances, vaccine hesitancy and Americans' ill health : Shots - Health News - NPR - December 7th, 2021
- Gene Expression Analysis Market: Rise in the need for personalized medicine is likely to influence the global market - BioSpace - December 7th, 2021
- Atamyo Therapeutics Obtains First Regulatory Authorization in Europe to Initiate a Clinical Trial for ATA-100, its Gene Therapy to Treat Limb-Girdle... - December 7th, 2021
- Gyroscope Therapeutics Announces Appointment of Tony Adamis to Board of Directors - Business Wire - December 7th, 2021
- Tune Therapeutics Launches with Pioneering Epigenomic Control Platform to Master Gene Networks, Treat Broad Range of Diseases - PRNewswire - December 7th, 2021
- Rhythm Pharmaceuticals and RareStone Ltd. Announce Exclusive Licensing Agreement for the Development and Commercialization of IMCIVREE (setmelanotide)... - December 7th, 2021
- The top 10 health and medicine breakthroughs of 2021 - Popular Science - December 7th, 2021
- SNPs rs251124, rs2287926, and rs173686 with IA | NDT - Dove Medical Press - December 7th, 2021
- Potential New Therapeutic Option May Combat Drug Resistance in HER2+ Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer - Cancer Network - December 7th, 2021
- Penn's Medical Emergency Response Team, 'prepared for anything' | Penn Today - Penn Today - December 7th, 2021
- Gene Therapy May Reverse Hurler Syndrome, a Rare and Severe Illness in Kids - HealthDay - November 21st, 2021
- Immunosuppressants linked to severe reactions in people with common genetic profile - Stanford Medical Center Report - November 21st, 2021
- A video that originated on InfoWars is filled with falsehoods about COVID-19 vaccines - PolitiFact - November 21st, 2021
- Gene signature may give an upper hand in metastatic breast cancer - Baylor College of Medicine News - November 21st, 2021
- Lung cancer management in the era of precision medicine - Express Healthcare - November 21st, 2021
- Powerful gene-based testing by integrating long-range chromatin interactions and knockoff genotypes - pnas.org - November 21st, 2021
- Stoke Therapeutics Announces Presentations from the Company's Dravet Syndrome Program at the American Epilepsy Society 2021 Annual Meeting - Business... - November 21st, 2021
- European Commission approves Roche's Gavreto (pralsetinib) for the treatment of adults with RET fusion-positive advanced non-small cell lung cancer |... - November 21st, 2021
- Maternal cannabis use is associated with suppression of immune gene networks in placenta and increased anxiety phenotypes in offspring - pnas.org - November 21st, 2021