Two months after my family and I fled Afghanistan, writing and even thinking about our journey to New Zealand is still very hard for me. My experience seems like a dream.
When the Taliban came to my city, Kabul, it felt like our lives just stopped. We were all in shock. We had no hope for the future.
Some wealthy, powerful and well-connected people were able to leave the country. Many others were left behind and felt abandoned by the international community.
My family was in danger because of my fathers profession, so for weeks we hid from the Taliban. Fortunately we were given visas by the New Zealand government.
READ MORE:* Taliban names caretaker Afghan government as protests grow* New Zealander and family inside Kabul airport after five terrifying days braving Taliban and desperate crowds* 'I cannot do anything': Afghan man in Wellington watches homeland helplessly
It was very hard for us to leave Afghanistan, but we had no choice. I had to say goodbye to friends and relatives. My heart felt broken.
One morning a driver came to our house and drove us to Pakistan. I was scared when we saw Taliban checkpoints on the way.
Yousef Obidi, 10, fled Afghanistan with his family for a new life in NZ. Pictured at Aucklands Piha.
At the border there were many Taliban. One asked my family, Why are you trying to leave the country? We told him my mother was ill and needed hospital treatment in Islamabad.
When we were allowed to cross the border I felt a mix of happiness and sadness. I was happy because we were no longer in danger but sad because we were leaving our beloved homeland.
For three weeks we stayed in a guesthouse while our paperwork was processed. Louise, a diplomat from New Zealands foreign ministry, talked to us and helped us a lot.
A week after we arrived in Pakistan, a Taliban commander called my father from Kabul. He told my father that the Taliban were looking for him and they had seized our home.
That was a very dark day.
Yousef Obidi outside MIQ.
Finally all our paperwork was finished by the New Zealand officials, and my family and I went to Islamabad airport. I was excited but also nervous because we were questioned a lot.
When we landed in Doha I was more relaxed. For the first time I started to believe that everything would work out. I told my mum that it felt like a miracle.
The trip to Auckland was very long. We stopped in Brisbane for an hour, and I thought about New Zealand while we waited. I had read on the internet that its a very peaceful country.
It was an incredible feeling when we landed in Auckland. We arrived at 1am and it was really cold, but my body felt full of energy.
A police officer met us when we walked of the plane. I said Kia Ora to him. He smiled and greeted me in the Mori language and asked if I was OK.
New Zealand Defence Force/Supplied
A Defence Force Hercules on its first flight into Kabul's international airport as part of a coalition effort to evacuate foreign citizens and Afghans at risk of the Taliban's takeover.
My family and I were taken to an MIQ hotel. For two weeks I focused on improving my English and learning more about life in New Zealand.
The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The food was a bit unusual for me and my mum and sisters, but my father thought it was good.
We were happy when we passed our Covid tests. After 14 days, one of the MIQ staff told us, You are free!
When we left the hotel and went into Auckland I saw a new world. I saw hills and trees and the Auckland harbour. It was very beautiful.
Im excited about the future and looking forward to school. My goal is to be a doctor because I want to help people.
I want to thank the officials and the people of New Zealand for everything theyve done for us especially Louise, the diplomat. We will never forget her kindness.
After many years of war we are living free of danger. Our nightmare is finally over.
- New Zealand | History, Map, Flag, Capital, Population ... - January 17th, 2022
- New Zealand - January 17th, 2022
- New Zealand issues tsunami warning after undersea volcano ... - January 17th, 2022
- Drinking water, ash big concern as Tonga assesses damage after tsunami - Reuters - January 17th, 2022
- New Zealand banks reject home loans over spending on Christmas gifts and pets as tighter rules hit - The Guardian - January 17th, 2022
- Covid-19: Experts list steps New Zealand government needs to take to fight Omicron - RNZ - January 17th, 2022
- New Zealand Begins Vaccinating 5-to-11-Year-Olds - VOA News - January 17th, 2022
- Chinas choice of ambassador to New Zealand indicates focus on deepening economic ties - The Guardian - January 17th, 2022
- Making the most of New Zealand's empty backcountry this summer - Stuff.co.nz - January 17th, 2022
- Is New Zealand Economy On The Way Up? - Scoop - January 17th, 2022
- Cyclone Cody expected to pass east of New Zealand later today - New Zealand Herald - January 17th, 2022
- Surfboards Come Loose In Front Of Another Car In New Zealand - Jalopnik - January 17th, 2022
- British expats: Expert explains the great mystery about property in New Zealand - Express - January 17th, 2022
- Did Government 'simply cave'? National demands answers over residency decision for former vice-president of Afghanistan Sarwar Danish - Stuff.co.nz - January 17th, 2022
- Insulting question White Island survivor Stephanie Browitt is asked - New Zealand Herald - January 17th, 2022
- Rare steam locomotive arrives back in Southland for restoration - RNZ - January 17th, 2022
- 10000 new workers a year needed to fill labour gap in Canterbury, study finds - Stuff.co.nz - January 17th, 2022
- Save the children's commissioner, NZ's campaigning superhero - Stuff.co.nz - January 17th, 2022
- Australia and New Zealand to provide aid to Tonga - 9News - January 17th, 2022
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Auckland Southern Motorway crash, lanes reopen - New Zealand Herald - January 17th, 2022
- NZ construction stumbles but residential will support full-year growth - DesignBuild Network - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand not prepared for Omicron outbreak expected in matter of weeks, experts warn - The Guardian - January 14th, 2022
- 2021 was New Zealands hottest year on record - The Guardian - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand: visa processing creating uncertainty among tertiary institutions - The PIE News - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand navy rescues duo stuck in Singapore for 18 months - The Guardian - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand's failure to meet its human rights promises on health care and protection - OpenGlobalRights - January 14th, 2022
- The New Zealand Taxpayers Union Is Currently Being Trolled By a Bunch of Furries - VICE - January 14th, 2022
- Weather: Cyclone Cody forecast to miss New Zealand, but huge waves, heavy rain, gales still expected - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- Prince Andrew stripped of New Zealand military title - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand's forgotten slaves of the Pacific - Stuff.co.nz - January 14th, 2022
- Five areas to watch for Australian and New Zealand research in 2022 - Research Professional News - January 14th, 2022
- Newcastle sign New Zealand striker Wood from relegation rivals Burnley - Reuters - January 14th, 2022
- Those coloured boxes on Twitter are New Zealand's fault - The Spinoff - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand's most common surnames for babies born in 2021 revealed - Newshub - January 14th, 2022
- World Famous in New Zealand: Dunedin's towering Organ Pipes are always impressive - Stuff.co.nz - January 14th, 2022
- NBL Chris Goulding hits milestone in Melbourne United win over New Zealand Breakers - ESPN - January 14th, 2022
- Imports account for half of New Zealand's carbon footprint - Interest.co.nz - January 14th, 2022
- 'I feel a real connection to New Zealand' Behrouz Boochani on life and work in Aotearoa - Stuff.co.nz - January 14th, 2022
- 'Who do you want killed?': $161 offer to have former New Zealand Sevens star shot - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- Ross Taylors magical Test farewell rewarded strength in tough moments - The Guardian - January 14th, 2022
- Mystery at the mill: the strange and unsolved disappearance of scientist Jim Donnelly - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- Big Brother is watching: The rise and rise of CCTV in New Zealand - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand's least sunny destinations for those who hate the heat - Stuff.co.nz - January 14th, 2022
- Caregiver at large Auckland rest home tests positive for Covid, ward closed - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- Review: Whanganui audience delighted by New Zealand Opera School afternoon recital - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- New Zealand bees may soon become endangered due to pest threat, expert warns - Stuff.co.nz - January 14th, 2022
- Matthew Hooton: Govt's stance on Omicron should have NZ worried - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- Drop in amount of contraband found in New Zealand prisons - RNZ - January 14th, 2022
- 10kgs of cocaine, believed to be linked to Colombian syndicate, seized - Stuff.co.nz - January 14th, 2022
- New lending restrictions lock prospective homeowners out of the market - New Zealand Herald - January 14th, 2022
- Revival for New Zealand's Moriori Nearly Pushed to Cultural Death - The New York Times - January 9th, 2022
- Farewell to the kid from Masterton - ESPNcricinfo - January 9th, 2022
- New Zealand Covid experts take legal action against employer over harassment from public - CNBC - January 9th, 2022
- SheBelieves Cup - USWNT to face Czech Republic, Iceland and New Zealand in 2022 edition - ESPN - January 9th, 2022
- Covid and your career - The 'great NZ resignation'; What to do if you hate your job - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Safest airlines in the world according to experts - Business Insider - January 9th, 2022
- Chilling Cavaliers rugby tour threat: 'We will burn your family' - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Guide to glamping in New Zealand: Here are the best places to stay - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- The Conversation: Aotearoa New Zealand is looking good in 2040 here's how we did it - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Under the Vines season 1: release date, cast, interview, plot, trailer and all about the comedy drama set on a New Zealand vineyard - What To Watch - January 9th, 2022
- Vanessa Honor: Moving to New Zealand, yeah-nah, it's sweet as - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- Bay of Plenty has some of New Zealand's highest e-bike injuries, ACC claims - New Zealand Herald - January 9th, 2022
- Five of New Zealand's most underrated beach towns - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- Covid-19: Will the vaccine protect me from Omicron? - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- My Wellington: 'It feels like a place where change can be created' - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- Caring enough to knock on the right doors - New Zealand Doctor Online - January 9th, 2022
- A sport on its last legs - can greyhound racing in New Zealand survive? - Stuff.co.nz - January 9th, 2022
- New Zealand eases Covid crowd rules in time for New Years ... - January 3rd, 2022
- British DJ escapes prosecution after sparking New Zealand's first Omicron scare - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2022
- New Zealand yoga industry suffers as anti-vax sentiment co-opts wellness industry - The Guardian - January 3rd, 2022
- Dear New Zealand, it's time to end Covid discrimination - The Spectator Australia - January 3rd, 2022
- Untangling what Omicron means for New Zealand's approach to the pandemic - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- More than half of New Zealand workers considering changing jobs in 2022 - Newshub - January 3rd, 2022
- Luxury living: The flashest homes for sale in New Zealand right now - New Zealand Herald - January 3rd, 2022
- Happy New Year! Kiwis ring in 2022 - New Zealand Herald - January 3rd, 2022
- Shaun Hendy, Siouxsie Wiles file complaint against University of Auckland - New Zealand Herald - January 3rd, 2022
- Barrier or a beginning? How to find yourself, one New Zealand coastal walkway at a time - New Zealand Herald - January 3rd, 2022
- I travelled to every region in New Zealand: Here is the best food I ate - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022
- New Zealand veteran Taylor to retire from internationals - CNA - January 3rd, 2022
- Inside New Zealand's road toll: 'It's heartbreaking' - Stuff.co.nz - January 3rd, 2022