31 Jul, 2021 12:20 AM4 minutes to read
NZ Herald Focus Sport's Cheree Kinnear wraps all the action from a historic day for New Zealand sport and we check out three Olympic flatmate's Cambridge crib. Video / NZ Herald / Sky Sport
New Zealand's anticipated challenge in the triathlon mixed relay fizzled like a popped balloon as they fell behind on the first leg and were not seen in anger again until Hayden Wilde finished in 12th place, 3m 12s behind the winners.
It was a chastening experience for the squad of Ainsley Thorpe, Nicole van der Kaay, Tayler Reid and Wilde, the majority of who were picked with this event specifically in mind.
"At the end of the day we did our best out there," Wilde said, acknowledging the team struggled.
"It was good to see the fight there we all had a bit of a torrid battle."
"You can't have highs without the lows," Reid said. "We'll come back hard."
Full Kiwi schedule below. Click on a name to see athlete's bio, upcoming events, past Games performance and medal chance.
As it turned out, it developed into an enthralling three-way battle in an event being held at the Olympics for the first time.
Alex Yee anchored Great Britain to a dominating win, crossing the line before Wilde completed the first of his two laps on the run.
The USA finished second, 14s behind, while the top-ranked France took bronze, a further 9s behind.
The race, four legs of a 300m swim, 6.8km bike and 2km run, was a bit of a trip into the unknown but it quickly developed into a race of the have and have-nots depending on how the team was placed after the bike sector on leg one.
30 Jul, 2021 09:34 PMQuick Read
30 Jul, 2021 09:30 PMQuick Read
30 Jul, 2021 09:30 PMQuick Read
30 Jul, 2021 08:27 PMQuick Read
Of the teams that were out of the lead group of four, only France managed to battle themselves back into contention; as making up time and places in cloying conditions and on a tight, technical bike leg was difficult.
Ainsley Thorpe was first away in the swim, a 300m dash across the Odaiba Marine Park, and came out of the water in eighth, 11s down on the leader, Great Britain's Jessica Learmonth.
USA, Great Britain, the Netherlands and Germany quickly established a lead group on the cycle and it was always going to be tough to make up the ground.
Thorpe handed over to Tayler Reid in 16th, 1m 28s behind the leaders.
Reid was being asked to make up a lot of ground, but we never saw his progress as the cameras focused on the front of the pack.
The bald facts were he handed over to his partner Nicole van der Kaay 2m 01s behind Great Britain, who were staked to a handy lead by a brilliant Jonny Brownlee 2km run, while improving New Zealand's place from 16th to 14th.
Speaking to the cameras as van der Kaay was on the course, Reid said the heat made it tough to make up ground but he gave it everything and risked blowing it up rather than trying to play safe.
Van der Kaay held her ground and Wilde, already establishing himself as a star of the sport, picked up a couple of places.
It was another strong performance but the truth is that 12th is nowhere near where New Zealand expected to finish.
It has been a curious Olympics for Triathlon NZ. If you'd offered them a medal before the Games they would have bitten your hand off to get it, but they would have expected it to be in this mixed relay.
There has been talk in triathlon circles for some time that they have an extraordinary talent on their hands in Whakatane's Wilde, 23, but the suggestion was he would be primed for a medal tilt in Paris in 2024.
Instead he was at the forefront of a youth movement that dominated the men's race as the senior statesmen like Jonny Brownlee and Mario Mola faded from view.
Wilde's bronze was a desperately needed shot in the arm for a sport that has endured a number of dry campaigns since Bevan Docherty's bronze in Beijing.
Here is the original post:
- New Zealand sets 90% vaccine target for ending COVID-19 lockdown - Reuters - October 21st, 2021
- New Zealand's COVID-19 cases hit record for second time this week - Reuters - October 21st, 2021
- Christchurch takes the official 'Wizard Of New Zealand' off its payroll - NPR - October 21st, 2021
- In Kawerau one thing impedes the effort to vaccinate Mori: New Zealand's history - The Guardian - October 21st, 2021
- New Zealand vaccinates 2.5% of its people in a day in drive to live with COVID-19 - Reuters - October 21st, 2021
- Sweeping housing legislation could reshape New Zealand cities for decades to come - The Guardian - October 21st, 2021
- Peter Thiel's luxury New Zealand lodge opposed by environmental group - CNBC - October 21st, 2021
- America's Cup: Team New Zealand refuse to entertain new $40m bid from Kiwi Home Defence to keep event in Auckland - New Zealand Herald - October 21st, 2021
- Explosion of ideas: how Mori concepts are being incorporated into New Zealand law - The Guardian - October 21st, 2021
- Adapting to UAE conditions key as New Zealand eye second world title in 2021 - ESPNcricinfo - October 21st, 2021
- South Island-Aust bubble open but Air NZ says operation 'not viable' - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Clarification Needed On MIQ For New Zealand Crews | Scoop News - Scoop.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Old Glory DC's Mike Dabulas Prepares to Compete Against the New Zealand All Blacks in the 1874 Cup - Washington City Paper - October 21st, 2021
- Covid-19 is part of life in Auckland, but it doesn't have to be for New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Fossilised New Zealand penguin identified as new species - BirdGuides - October 21st, 2021
- Covid-19 update: 129 new cases in the community - RNZ - October 21st, 2021
- Wales wing Josh Adams buzzing by prospect of facing New Zealand - The Independent - October 21st, 2021
- New Zealand belongs on 'international roll of shame' on children's wellbeing - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- Horse racing: Why punters will be sweating over New Zealand glamour girls - New Zealand Herald - October 21st, 2021
- Siouxsie Wiles: What the data is telling us about New Zealands delta outbreak - The Spinoff - October 21st, 2021
- New Zealand to spend $1m on isolation spots to keep Scott Base Covid-19 free - Stuff.co.nz - October 21st, 2021
- T20 World Cup: New Zealand Coach Gives Update On Kane Williamson's Elbow Injury - NDTV Sports - October 21st, 2021
- Battling Delta, New Zealand Abandons Its Zero-Covid Ambitions - The New York Times - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand adding vaccination requirement as it prepares to reopen its international borders - USA TODAY - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand Aims to Vaccinate Up to 350,000 People in a Day - The New York Times - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand raises rates for first time in seven years, more to come - Reuters - October 7th, 2021
- Anger and grief: New Zealanders fearful as Covid elimination strategy ends - The Guardian - October 7th, 2021
- Pygmy pipehorse discovered in New Zealand given Mori name in world first - The Guardian - October 7th, 2021
- Putting Aotearoa on the map: New Zealand has changed its name before, why not again? - The Conversation AU - October 7th, 2021
- 'Good news in the offing': New Zealand rescheduling Pakistan tour, Ramiz Raja tells Senate body - DAWN.com - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand to send Afghanistan 'special representative' to the Middle East - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- No cruising in New Zealand before October 2022, association reveals - Cruise Passenger - October 7th, 2021
- The vaccination rate for every suburb in New Zealand on one interactive map - The Spinoff - October 7th, 2021
- Everybody's Talking About... New Zealand cheese - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- Covid-19: UN worker medivaced to NZ is stable, but still in hospital 70 days on - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- NZ SailGP team battling on and off the water - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's Energy System Among The Best Globally | Scoop News - Scoop.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- Lessons from New Zealand's good book; the Yellow Pages - Stuff.co.nz - October 7th, 2021
- Wales v New Zealand fixture under the microscope as it's branded 'stupidest game ever' - Wales Online - October 7th, 2021
- New Zealand: The struggle to find a decent home - Al Jazeera English - October 5th, 2021
- Covid: New Zealand reports jump in cases as opposition calls for opening up - The Guardian - October 5th, 2021
- Australia and New Zealand ruling elite demands population live with COVID-19 - WSWS - October 5th, 2021
- New Zealand to halt removal of 'at risk' children from families - Reuters - October 5th, 2021
- Timaru tragedy: Murder-accused mum Lauren Dickason back in court after tragic death of three daughters - New Zealand Herald - October 5th, 2021
- Gary Stead on T20 WC: Main goal is to get to the semi-finals - ESPNcricinfo - October 5th, 2021
- Be part of New Zealand's best commercial builds - Stuff.co.nz - October 5th, 2021
- New Zealand Maoris Kapa Haka wows audience at Expo - The National - October 5th, 2021
- Fisher Funds acquires Aon New Zealand's KiwiSaver scheme and Master Trust businesses - New Zealand Herald - October 5th, 2021
- Indonesia to reopen Bali to several international flights, including New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - October 5th, 2021
- Government will require non-NZ citizens to have Covid vaccine before entering New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - October 5th, 2021
- Inside Line: Another epic contest between South Africa and New Zealand shows why rivalry is so precious - Telegraph.co.uk - October 5th, 2021
- Covid:19 New Zealand falls 37 spots on global ranking of best places to be amid the pandemic - Stuff.co.nz - October 5th, 2021
- COVID-19: What New Zealand can learn from Ireland's leading vaccination campaign - Newshub - October 5th, 2021
- Cane returns to New Zealand squad for autumn Tests - RTE.ie - October 5th, 2021
- Grant Dalton: The stakes just raised in the America's Cup - Stuff.co.nz - October 5th, 2021
- Dad of 3 girls killed in New Zealand says he's forgiven wife - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand Will Ease Covid Lockdown in Auckland - The New ... - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand Covid update: Auckland to move out of level 4 ... - September 24th, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic in New Zealand - Wikipedia - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand men arrested for trying to smuggle KFC into Auckland - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand says it may not get to zero COVID-19 cases again - Reuters - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand is no off-grid safe haven from the apocalypse - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- Dad of 3 girls killed in New Zealand says he's forgiven wife - ABC News - September 24th, 2021
- Frustration for New Zealand returnees as Covid quarantine waiting list hits 30,000 - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- Pakistan Blames Politics as England and New Zealand Cricket Teams Cancel - The New York Times - September 24th, 2021
- Cathedral bells ring out as New Zealand welcomes godwits after longest migration - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- The delay to New Zealands emissions reduction plan is embarrassing we need action now - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand family charters plane to fly to new life in Australia after weeks stuck in Aotearoa - Stuff.co.nz - September 24th, 2021
- Million-dollar drug bust: Royal New Zealand Navy-led team intercept Indian Ocean narcotics run - New Zealand Herald - September 24th, 2021
- Khawaja accuses New Zealand and England of double standards over cancelled Pakistan tours - The National - September 24th, 2021
- Heather Knights England century seals ODI series win over New Zealand - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand is diversifying its orchestra - Slipped Disc - September 24th, 2021
- The most important three pieces of metal in New Zealand, explained - Stuff.co.nz - September 24th, 2021
- England chase down 245 to beat New Zealand in fourth womens ODI as it happened - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealands pandemic housing policy has baked in Mori inequality for generations - The Guardian - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand cannot abandon its COVID elimination strategy while Mori and Pasifika vaccination rates are too low - The Conversation AU - September 24th, 2021
- Air NZ announces mandatory vaccination for more than 50 per cent of staff - Stuff.co.nz - September 24th, 2021
- New Zealand Expo 2020 pavilion designed as a 'living building' - The National - September 24th, 2021
- Westpac names Catherine McGrath as its New Zealand chief executive - Stuff.co.nz - September 24th, 2021
- Device used to send threat to New Zealand team belonged to India: Fawad - DAWN.com - September 24th, 2021