Catherine McGrath, Westpac's new chief executive.
Westpac has named Kiwi Catherine McGrath as its next New Zealand chief executive.
The Australian-owned bank said McGrath would take over the role from acting chief executive Simon Power.
Power was appointed acting chief executive following the retirement of David McLean, who had headed the bank since June 2014.
McGraths last position was with Barclays Bank in the United Kingdom, where she had worked since 2013, before returning home to New Zealand recently.
READ MORE:* Here to stay: Westpac won't sell its New Zealand business* Westpac reports $964 million profit as boss pockets $2m* Westpac posts A$4 billion profit for first six months, NZ profit up 2%
Westpac Group chief executive Peter King said: Catherine is an experienced and well-respected financial services leader.
He said McGrath's banking career started at the Bank of New Zealand.
Since then, she has driven large-scale transformations at some of the worlds best-known banks, including Barclays Group and Lloyds TSB in the UK, he said.
Westpac NZ has focused strongly on gender equality, but still has a significant gender pay gap, RNZ's podcast The Detail reports. (First published in October 2019)
Barclays was heavily criticised after the global financial crisis, as well as for its part in the illegal manipulation of interest rates, both of which occurred before McGrath was with the bank.
In 2013 an independent report commissioned by Barclays board concluded the bank had become so aggressive that it had put profit before customers.
In New Zealand Westpac is among the banks that has faced criticism from the Financial Markets Authority and the Reserve Bank.
Banks here had underinvested in systems, the regulators concluded, and part of McGraths brief will be to improve the banks digital banking systems.
In our recent portfolio review of the business, we identified ways to improve service for customers, including improving our digital capabilities, an area in which Catherine has considerable management expertise, King said.
Westpac has had recent run-ins with New Zealand regulators.
In August the bank was warned for weaknesses in its anti-money laundering systems by the Reserve Bank of New Zealand Te Ptea Matau.
In March, the bank was ordered by the Reserve Bank to pay for two independent reports into its risk governance processes.
Westpac has coped well during the Covid pandemic, and extended the loans of households who hit financial hardship.
The Reserve Bank, which is tasked with ensuring the stability of the financial system, said the Australian-owned bank needed to take a close look at its risk governance practices.
We have experienced ongoing compliance issues with Westpac NZ over recent years, most recently involving material failures to report liquidity correctly, in line with the Reserve Banks liquidity requirements, deputy governor Geoff Bascand said.
Read the original:
- New Zealand's COVID-19 re-opening plans leave Maori feeling exposed - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand Introduces New COVID-19 Management System - Voice of America - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand to ease COVID measures this week despite Omicron threat - PM - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand's Cairns not sure he will walk again after spinal stroke - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand to enshrine protections for pill testing in world first - The Guardian - December 3rd, 2021
- Covid-19 update: 92 new community cases reported in New Zealand today - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- How NFTs are changing the New Zealand art world - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Who is New Zealands new opposition leader Christopher Luxon? - The Guardian - December 3rd, 2021
- 10 ways New Zealand employers can turn the 'great resignation' into a 'great recruitment' - The Conversation AU - December 3rd, 2021
- 90 pct of Kiwis getting first COVID-19 vaccine proves New Zealand isn't a 'divided nation' - Grant Robertson - Newshub - December 3rd, 2021
- Was New Zealand too slow to deploy police and soldiers to the Solomon Islands? - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- India vs New Zealand 2021: Tim Southee says Wankhede will be `another challenge` in 2nd Test - Zee News - December 3rd, 2021
- Virat Kohli returns as India take on New Zealand in second test - The Tribune - December 3rd, 2021
- IND vs NZ: 'It's so lopsided it's not funny': New Zealand great slams team set-up, says 'stop hiding in the grass' - Hindustan Times - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand city becomes one of first in world to introduce a climate tax for residents - The Independent - December 3rd, 2021
- Rugby: All Black Ardie Savea recommits to New Zealand Rugby and the Hurricanes - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- Many New Zealand youth show interest in online platforms and streamers in survey - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- Immigration blocks pathway for at-risk Afghans to settle in New Zealand - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- Rachin Ravindra - the cricketer you want, and the friend you need - ESPNcricinfo.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Biceps and buddies: Kiwi arm-wrestlers share their secrets - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand well-placed to detect and contain new Omicron Covid variant - expert - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Six shortcuts on New Zealand's Great Walks: Day hikes and taster trails - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- Graham Hawkes inducted into New Zealand Hospitality Hall of Fame - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand milk production up but cow numbers fall - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- 'Scared as' Hauraki iwi on high alert as New Zealand enters the traffic light system - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: New Zealand's women politicians are showing the way - Telegraph India - December 3rd, 2021
- Housing: New Zealand prices to calm next year before fall - poll - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Confident Pakistan ready to seek revenge ... - November 28th, 2021
- Rohit Sharma leading India is a big change, we all are ... - November 28th, 2021
- In New Zealand, Tangata Whenua Marks The People There First - Foreign Policy - November 28th, 2021
- Dell hones focus on New Zealand market with country manager appointment - ZDNet - November 28th, 2021
- Coronavirus: New Zealand in 'good position' to combat new Omicron variant - Ministry of Health - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- 'I would like to give the Kiwis the last 45-30 mins to bat': Karthik predicts the target India will set for New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 28th, 2021
- Tricor Group Completes Acquisition of NZGT Holding Company Limited, A Leading Corporate Trustee and Fund Supervisor in New Zealand with NZ$250 Billion... - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand opposition leader Judith Collins ousted after move to demote rival backfires - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- 'You are free': What it felt like to flee Afghanistan for a new life in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Irfan Pathan Explains Why Shubman Gill Will Have To "Work On His Technique" - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand Supports Sustainably Endorsed Tourism Businesses In New Zealand | Scoop News - Scoop - November 28th, 2021
- Shreyas Iyer Reveals What Rahul Dravid Instructed Him To Do On Day 4 Of Kanpur Test vs New Zealand - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- COVID-19 expert explains why New Zealand is 'well-placed to manage threat' of new South African variant - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- India's 5 Biggest Wins vs New Zealand In Tests - Cricket Addictor - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand 'deeply concerned' over Solomon Islands riots - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand cancels more than 1000 flights as New Zealand shifts to living with COVID-19 - 9News - November 28th, 2021
- Good and bad news for New Zealand sport after Government's MIQ announcement; Super Rugby Pacific in doubt - New Zealand Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Whey too expensive: New Zealand cheese lovers forced to eke out supplies as prices jump - theguardian.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Bangladesh's Tamim ruled out of New Zealand tour - report - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Princess Announces 2023-2024 Cruises and Cruisetours From Australia and New Zealand - Cruise Industry News - November 23rd, 2021
- Twelve-year low leaves powerless New Zealand in need of urgent recharge - The Telegraph - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand-based oyster-farming system FlipFarm takes home GSA innovation award - SeafoodSource - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand's climate change regulation is messy and complex -- heres how to improve it - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Are New Zealands universities doing enough to define the limits of academic freedom? - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Club behind Team New Zealand gets venue petition - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand Breakers camp hit by Covid-19 - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- It's time to imagine New Zealand without production animals - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Indian New Zealanders amongst the most highly-vaccinated in the country - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- The Detail: What will living with Covid look like in the future? - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Newshub-Reid Research poll: Half of New Zealand doesn't support Three Waters reforms - Newshub - November 23rd, 2021
- Summer arrives early this year in New Zealand - The Bay's News First - SunLive - November 23rd, 2021
- Disposable masks washed 10 times still more protective than triple-layer fabric masks - study - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19: How New Zealand's vaccine restrictions compare to those overseas - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Unusual bedfellows: how gangs are pushing New Zealands Covid vaccination drive - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- France stand firm to seal first victory over New Zealand for 12 years - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- India sweep T20 series against New Zealand to kick off Dravid era - Reuters India - November 21st, 2021
- Dissent, threats and fury: mood darkens in New Zealand as Covid restrictions bite - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- Benee to kick off World Tour with 10 New Zealand shows in 2022 - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Ross Taylor: 'Any time you play India at home, you're going to be the underdogs' - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- Travel bites: On the hunt for New Zealand's best brownie - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Ready to be flexible and bat wherever team wants me to - Venkatesh Iyer - India Today - November 21st, 2021
- krito, West Coast: One of the best natural wonders in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India beat New Zealand by 73 runs in third T20I, seal series 3-0 - Business Standard - November 21st, 2021
- Groundswell NZ's 'Mother of all Protests' takes steps to avoid being hijacked by anti-vaxxers - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Leprosy still exists in New Zealand, with new cases in Canterbury - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- 'If I was New Zealand supporter, I would have demanded a refund': Gambhir lashes out on NZ's T20 WC final's performance - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Opinion: We need to remember what New Zealand represents to the world - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Cycling NZ CEO Jacques Landry quits after three years in job - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Stead admits NZ are facing a 'tough and challenging' schedule - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- 'Wicket in Kolkata will suit him': Gautam Gambhir looks forward to one change in India's XI for 3rd T20I vs New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Live Covid-19 updates for 22 November - all you need to know - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand Cricket wants the Black Caps to be the All Blacks of the cricketing world - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand's Biggest City Is to Ease Lockdown Restrictions - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021