Founder of Cure Our Ovarian Cancer Jane Ludemann said they recently surveyed 54 biomedical researchers in New Zealand and 42 percent didn't know of a single person researching ovarian cancer in the country.
"The positive take from this is that 44 percent of the respondents said they'd consider
researching ovarian cancer if there was dedicated funding," Ludemann said.
When asked why they didn't choose any of the ovarian cancer research to fund, the HRC said that with the budget available they are often only able to fund the highest-ranking proposals.
"It does not mean the other applications are not of high quality, but that the available budget can only extend to the top-ranked proposals," the council said.
Most women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer in stage three or four, which means the cancer has already spread - and it is sometimes too late.
Researching the disease is urgent to find a solution for two main problems. Unlike being able to get screened for breast cancer using mammography, there is no screening
exam to diagnose ovarian cancer at an early stage.
Treatment is also scarce. A combination of two chemotherapy is the only treatment available for all types of ovarian cancer, but it doesn't usually have the same results on the various mutations of the disease.
Hayley Smith has suffered for years. The 55-year-old caregiver used to lay on the floor on her back to find some sort of relief for her pain.
The scene was repeated for years. One week before her period, the acute abdominal pain would start, usually followed by diarrhoea, vomiting and sometimes fainting.
The mother of two teenagers went to several doctors and the diagnosis was always PMS, premenstrual syndrome or menopause.
Even though the symptoms of PMS matched with what Smith felt, she was intrigued because the doctors had already found two cysts on her ovaries over the years.
The first was removed, but the referral for an oncologist to analyse the second was declined and the cyst was left there.
"For several years I've been calling out and trying to get attention,'' Smith said.
In November 2021, Smith called her GP. Her abdomen was strangely bloated and hard to touch.
She went straight to the hospital and after a few exams she received the diagnosis of ovarian cancer - and it had already spread to her stomach, appendix and lungs.
Ovarian cancer is diagnosed via a pelvic exam, ultrasound and a CA-125 blood test, which was never required from Hayley.
"If they say no, you go and find another doctor,'' Smith said.
The caregiver had surgery to remove the tumours and finished the first phase of chemotherapy.
"They will give me a rest for four months. Put me back in the machine and see if it has come back," Smith said.
"I'll just continue with the chemotherapy until my body gets into a point that is too much."
- Sources - French prospect Rayan Rupert to play in New Zealand - ESPN - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand take charge of second Test with England left to rue missed chances - The Guardian - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand batters thrive without Williamson and teach England lesson - The Guardian - June 11th, 2022
- Air New Zealand raises annual earnings forecast on improved demand - Reuters - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand plans in tatters after Kane Williamson is ruled out with Covid-19 - The Guardian - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand sets up helpline for adults sexually attracted to children - The Guardian - June 11th, 2022
- I just flew to Sydney, and yes, New Zealand is (still) a hermit kingdom - Stuff - June 11th, 2022
- Cheat Sheet: Why is New Zealand so obsessed with the weather? - Stuff - June 11th, 2022
- Five of the best small New Zealand towns to visit in June - Stuff - June 11th, 2022
- Senior VP Dave Shaw: UFC 'actively trying to get back' to Canada, New Zealand and Australia - MMA Junkie - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand make hay as England suffer from winning good toss to lose - The Guardian - June 11th, 2022
- Bad weather to blame in NZ paraglider Charlotte O'Leary's death in France - New Zealand Herald - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand sweat on Reid fitness ahead of World Cup playoff - Reuters - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand Toast Triple Gold In Mackay | Scoop News - Scoop - June 11th, 2022
- Underplayed to the point of parody, is Daryl Mitchell the uber-Kiwi? - ESPNcricinfo - June 11th, 2022
- How hard is it to lure nurses to New Zealand? - RNZ - June 11th, 2022
- Premium Debate: New Zealand has changed, and not for the better - Bay of Plenty Times - June 11th, 2022
- Is this Auckland property New Zealand's most valuable nugget of land? - Stuff - June 11th, 2022
- Heavy rain, snow, tornados to hit parts of New Zealand over the weekend - Newshub - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand Legend Ross Taylor Hints At Possible Return To T20 Cricket - Cricket Addictor - June 11th, 2022
- American Airlines: The decision that led to return to New Zealand - New Zealand Herald - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand Aids Foundation dropping Aids from its name - Stuff - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand woman placed in abusive foster care wins appeal against deportation from Australia - RNZ - June 11th, 2022
- New Zealand were 'slightly undercooked' at Lord's; they'll come hard in second Test: Nasser Hussain - The New Indian Express - June 11th, 2022
- The best places in New Zealand to work from home - Stuff - June 11th, 2022
- England vs New Zealand live stream: how to watch 1st Test cricket 2022 online from anywhere - TechRadar - June 1st, 2022
- California and New Zealand Partner to Advance Global Climate Leadership | California Governor - Office of Governor Gavin Newsom - June 1st, 2022
- In Advance of New Zealand Borders Reopening, NZ Minister of Education Hipkins Champions Study-Abroad Opportunities in New Zealand - Business Wire - June 1st, 2022
- How to Watch Into the Wild New Zealand Series Premiere: Live Stream, TV Channel, Start Time - Sports Illustrated - June 1st, 2022
- From the Archives | England v New Zealand | Lord's - Lord's - June 1st, 2022
- Southee: 'The Kiwi way is to muck in and get the best out of what we've got' - ESPNcricinfo - June 1st, 2022
- Major New Zealand salmon producer shuts farms as warming waters cause mass die-offs - The Guardian - June 1st, 2022
- Kane Williamson working out who is ready to go for New Zealand - The Independent - June 1st, 2022
- Winner of Miss Teen New Zealand pageant has her sights set on overseas - Stuff - June 1st, 2022
- Stinky seaweed is clogging Caribbean beaches but a New Zealand solution could turn it into green power and fertiliser - Stuff - June 1st, 2022
- Resurgent COVID-19, flu and other viruses are pushing New Zealand's health system to the limit and now winter is coming - The Conversation Indonesia - June 1st, 2022
- New footage of flying air taxis coming to New Zealand - Stuff - June 1st, 2022
- West Coast cave closed to protect New Zealand's weirdest spider - New Zealand Herald - June 1st, 2022
- One-quarter of New Zealand police officers now women - Newshub - June 1st, 2022
- Petrol on the Fire: The two words from a Prime Minister that set off a fierce reaction Chapter 3: Spies and Brides - Stuff - June 1st, 2022
- Matariki celebrations and New Zealand winter warmers to add to the calendar - New Zealand Herald - June 1st, 2022
- Gregor Paul: The many red flags in NZ Rugby's Silver Lake deal - New Zealand Herald - June 1st, 2022
- New Zealand again falls short of meeting commitment to refugees - Stuff - June 1st, 2022
- New Zealand to train Ukrainians on L119 howitzer - DefenseNews.com - May 25th, 2022
- I thought I was imagining things: New Zealand readers on close encounters with city birds - The Guardian - May 25th, 2022
- New Zealand has just joined an overtly anti-China alliance are the economic risks worth it? - The Conversation Indonesia - May 25th, 2022
- Reader call-out: What are your best memories of New Zealand soap opera Shortland Street? - The Guardian - May 25th, 2022
- Price of New Zealand passport rises - 1News - May 25th, 2022
- More people leaving New Zealand than entering as young flee high cost of living - The Guardian - May 25th, 2022
- New Zealands promised action on climate is nothing more than a tottering babys first steps - The Guardian - May 25th, 2022
- How will the Australia-New Zealand relationship change? - RNZ - May 25th, 2022
- Livestreams of Mass Shootings: From Buffalo to New Zealand - The New York Times - May 25th, 2022
- WWF-New Zealand: New Tech Is A Win-Win For Conservation And Fisheries | Scoop News - Scoop - May 25th, 2022
- New Zealand participation at World Expo crucial to build 'soft power' globally - Stuff - May 25th, 2022
- New Zealand Coastal Shipping Boost Biggest Turnaround This Century | Scoop News - Scoop - May 25th, 2022
- New Zealand Leads Medical Breakthrough In Oxygen Therapy | Scoop News - Scoop - May 25th, 2022
- Kane Williamson Set To Join New Zealand Team Ahead Of Test Series Against England - Cricket Addictor - May 25th, 2022
- Unicef report finds if everyone consumed resources like New Zealand, we would need 2.7 Earths to keep up with consumption - Newshub - May 25th, 2022
- How the Bay of Plenty could be one of New Zealand's best food destinations - New Zealand Herald - May 25th, 2022
- Dukes balls criticised ahead of New Zealand's three-test series versus England - Stuff - May 25th, 2022
- England v New Zealand live stream and team news: Ben Stokes to start role as captain against Kane... - talkSPORT - May 25th, 2022
- Coroner to open investigation into death of New Zealander Joseph Day this week - New Zealand Herald - May 25th, 2022
- Sickness season: How is New Zealand tracking with non-Covid illnesses? - New Zealand Herald - May 25th, 2022
- Gregor Paul: How New Zealand's drop goal stigma is handing an advantage to the North - New Zealand Herald - May 25th, 2022
- Covid-19 update: 17 further deaths, 7800 cases reported in New Zealand - RNZ - May 25th, 2022
- Head of Qualitative Practice be the heartbeat of Qual, Auckland, New Zealand - B&T - May 25th, 2022
- Tall poppy syndrome and 'proudly local': The things Kiwi expats notice about New Zealand that tourists don't - Stuff - May 21st, 2022
- Obituary - David Ian Pool: The Father of Aotearoa New Zealand Demography - Stuff - May 21st, 2022
- New Zealand battered by machine gun tornado - PerthNow - May 21st, 2022
- 30 years on... The unveiling of a New Zealand sporting great - Stuff - May 21st, 2022
- Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022: New Zealand announce 18-strong athletics team - New Zealand Herald - May 21st, 2022
- MMMBop hitmakers Hanson to play one New Zealand show in November - Stuff - May 21st, 2022
- New Zealand overtourism: Residents invite tourists to 'tread lightly and leave no trace' - Euronews - May 21st, 2022
- Former New Zealand Women Cricketer Katey Martin Reveals Reason Behind Early Retirement - Cricketnmore - May 21st, 2022
- Special Ukraine visa: Jump in the number of people seeking refuge in NZ - RNZ - May 21st, 2022
- Former lock picker and hacker to represent New Zealand at global cyber security event - Newshub - May 21st, 2022
- We need to spend billions replacing old hospitals - so who should pay? - Stuff - May 21st, 2022
- Massive 6.7 magnitude earthquake hits near New Zealand and Australia prompting Tsunami fears... - The US Sun - May 21st, 2022
- Easy ride to mental health - New Zealand News - New Zealand Herald - May 21st, 2022
- Snowfall warnings as severe 'winter blast' bears down on New Zealand - Stuff - May 21st, 2022