Keeping Scott Base Covid-19 free will cost an estimated $1 million, as people are required to spend 14 days in managed isolation before they fly to Antarctica.
About 280 people will visit the Ross Island research station during the 2021-22 season, including scientists and maintenance crew.
Those travelling to the ice will not stay in the same managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ) facilities used by returning Kiwis, with Antarctica New Zealand paying to use Southern Cross Lodge, in Methven, instead.
This is not an MIQ facility, a spokeswoman said.
READ MORE:* New Zealand's summer season in Antarctica begins as first group heads to the ice* Hundreds of personnel from international Antarctic programmes to go through MIQ* Covid-19: No changes for Antarctica NZ after cases at Chilean base* Coronavirus: Hotel sought for quarantining Antarctica workers before they head to the ice* US military in managed isolation in New Zealand ahead of Antarctica trip* Antarctica New Zealand's efforts to prevent Covid-19 from reaching the southern continent
Antarctica New Zealand is paying for this isolation. It is completely separate from the MIQ system.
International researchers who fly to Antarctica from Christchurch will use MIQ hotels when they first arrive in Christchurch though.
About 1500 people will enter New Zealand, including 1100 from the US Antarctic Program and about 400 from the Italian, Korean, French and German programmes.
An artists impression of what the $306m redeveloped Scott Base might look like.
This is less than half the total of a typical season, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said.
In a normal season, about 350 staff and scientists stayed at Scott Base, but last year it was about 90.
There were 36 projects planned in 2020-21 but only 12 went ahead. These included essential maintenance and preparatory work on the $306m Scott Base rebuild.
Eighteen Scott Base staff including engineers, tradies, and a shop and bar worker would be flown down this year, as well as contractors and the project team heading the redevelopment.
Antarctica New Zealand chief executive Sarah Williamson will be among those travelling to Scott Base during the 2021-22 season.
One of the main aims of Scott Base is to support science and 17 research projects will be carried out this year, including:
Antarctica New Zealands chief executive Sarah Williamson and two new board members would also visit the ice in the coming season.
Despite international efforts, Covid-19 did reach Antarctica last year when people connected with the Chilean Army base known as O'Higgins Base tested positive for the virus.
Here is the original post:
- Housing: New Zealand prices to calm next year before fall - poll - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Confident Pakistan ready to seek revenge ... - November 28th, 2021
- Rohit Sharma leading India is a big change, we all are ... - November 28th, 2021
- In New Zealand, Tangata Whenua Marks The People There First - Foreign Policy - November 28th, 2021
- Dell hones focus on New Zealand market with country manager appointment - ZDNet - November 28th, 2021
- Coronavirus: New Zealand in 'good position' to combat new Omicron variant - Ministry of Health - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- 'I would like to give the Kiwis the last 45-30 mins to bat': Karthik predicts the target India will set for New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 28th, 2021
- Tricor Group Completes Acquisition of NZGT Holding Company Limited, A Leading Corporate Trustee and Fund Supervisor in New Zealand with NZ$250 Billion... - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand opposition leader Judith Collins ousted after move to demote rival backfires - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- 'You are free': What it felt like to flee Afghanistan for a new life in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Irfan Pathan Explains Why Shubman Gill Will Have To "Work On His Technique" - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand Supports Sustainably Endorsed Tourism Businesses In New Zealand | Scoop News - Scoop - November 28th, 2021
- Shreyas Iyer Reveals What Rahul Dravid Instructed Him To Do On Day 4 Of Kanpur Test vs New Zealand - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- COVID-19 expert explains why New Zealand is 'well-placed to manage threat' of new South African variant - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- India's 5 Biggest Wins vs New Zealand In Tests - Cricket Addictor - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand 'deeply concerned' over Solomon Islands riots - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand cancels more than 1000 flights as New Zealand shifts to living with COVID-19 - 9News - November 28th, 2021
- Good and bad news for New Zealand sport after Government's MIQ announcement; Super Rugby Pacific in doubt - New Zealand Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Whey too expensive: New Zealand cheese lovers forced to eke out supplies as prices jump - theguardian.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Bangladesh's Tamim ruled out of New Zealand tour - report - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Princess Announces 2023-2024 Cruises and Cruisetours From Australia and New Zealand - Cruise Industry News - November 23rd, 2021
- Twelve-year low leaves powerless New Zealand in need of urgent recharge - The Telegraph - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand-based oyster-farming system FlipFarm takes home GSA innovation award - SeafoodSource - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand's climate change regulation is messy and complex -- heres how to improve it - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Are New Zealands universities doing enough to define the limits of academic freedom? - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Club behind Team New Zealand gets venue petition - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand Breakers camp hit by Covid-19 - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- It's time to imagine New Zealand without production animals - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Indian New Zealanders amongst the most highly-vaccinated in the country - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- The Detail: What will living with Covid look like in the future? - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Newshub-Reid Research poll: Half of New Zealand doesn't support Three Waters reforms - Newshub - November 23rd, 2021
- Summer arrives early this year in New Zealand - The Bay's News First - SunLive - November 23rd, 2021
- Disposable masks washed 10 times still more protective than triple-layer fabric masks - study - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19: How New Zealand's vaccine restrictions compare to those overseas - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Unusual bedfellows: how gangs are pushing New Zealands Covid vaccination drive - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- France stand firm to seal first victory over New Zealand for 12 years - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- India sweep T20 series against New Zealand to kick off Dravid era - Reuters India - November 21st, 2021
- Dissent, threats and fury: mood darkens in New Zealand as Covid restrictions bite - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- Benee to kick off World Tour with 10 New Zealand shows in 2022 - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Ross Taylor: 'Any time you play India at home, you're going to be the underdogs' - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- Travel bites: On the hunt for New Zealand's best brownie - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Ready to be flexible and bat wherever team wants me to - Venkatesh Iyer - India Today - November 21st, 2021
- krito, West Coast: One of the best natural wonders in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India beat New Zealand by 73 runs in third T20I, seal series 3-0 - Business Standard - November 21st, 2021
- Groundswell NZ's 'Mother of all Protests' takes steps to avoid being hijacked by anti-vaxxers - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Leprosy still exists in New Zealand, with new cases in Canterbury - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- 'If I was New Zealand supporter, I would have demanded a refund': Gambhir lashes out on NZ's T20 WC final's performance - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Opinion: We need to remember what New Zealand represents to the world - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Cycling NZ CEO Jacques Landry quits after three years in job - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Stead admits NZ are facing a 'tough and challenging' schedule - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- 'Wicket in Kolkata will suit him': Gautam Gambhir looks forward to one change in India's XI for 3rd T20I vs New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Live Covid-19 updates for 22 November - all you need to know - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand Cricket wants the Black Caps to be the All Blacks of the cricketing world - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand's Biggest City Is to Ease Lockdown Restrictions - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021
- Another global showpiece, another England-New Zealand scrap - Reuters UK - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand finally welcomes godwit two months after it was blown 2,000km back to Alaska - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- Eoin Morgan admits England injuries favour New Zealand at T20 World Cup - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand warns of economic vulnerabilities in the Pacific - Reuters - November 9th, 2021
- What channel is Ireland v New Zealand Autumn Internationals match on? Kick off time, TV and live stream - Radio Times - November 9th, 2021
- Doug the ugly New Zealand potato could be world's biggest - Associated Press - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealands Mitchell Santner: I dont think 2019 will come up much - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- How Mori knowledge could help New Zealanders turn their concern for the environment into action - The Conversation AU - November 9th, 2021
- An asylum seeker from Myanmar was rescued by New Zealand after jumping from a cargo ship and surviving 23 hours in the freezing ocean - Yahoo News - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand Trotting Cup: Copy That topples favourite Self Assured at Addington - Stuff.co.nz - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand supports Taiwan's inclusion in CPTPP - Taiwan News - November 9th, 2021
- WHO warns of massive syringe shortfall in 2022 - RTE.ie - November 9th, 2021
- Experienced heads need to drive it against New Zealand - RTE.ie - November 9th, 2021
- Warriors confirmed for five NRL games in New Zealand in 2022 - Stuff.co.nz - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand romp to record-breaking win over Italy - RTE.ie - November 9th, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Reason why Hardik Pandya isnt picked in T20I squad - CricTracker - November 9th, 2021
- COP26: Could New Zealand be forced to take more climate action? - Stuff.co.nz - November 9th, 2021
- England vs New Zealand LIVE: Result, final score and reaction from womens rugby Test today - The Independent - November 7th, 2021
- Doug the ugly New Zealand potato could be worlds biggest - NBC2 News - November 7th, 2021
- Covid-19 update: 113 new community cases in New Zealand today - RNZ - November 7th, 2021
- Why Asia must be invited when New Zealand reopens - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- New Zealand seals off northern region over suspected spread of COVID-19 - Reuters - November 7th, 2021
- End of Life Choice Act takes effect in New Zealand - RNZ - November 7th, 2021
- Wet and wild the story of New Zealand's extreme weather - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- Small town New Zealand's contribution to World War 1 explored in new book - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's APEC moment is virtually here - Newshub - November 7th, 2021