Anton Minenko thought he would make it home to Australia in time for the birth of his second child.
Around 400 Australians are trying to get home from New Zealand
The suspension of quarantine-free travel from NZ has made it difficult for them to return
National Cabinet will today discuss plans to allow some international travellers to quarantine at home
He and his wife Juanita decided to move home from London, via the United States, earlier this year after spending several years living overseas.
She made it back to Canberra with their three-year-old son, but his plans to follow several months later fell through due to flight cancellations.
The New Zealand citizen and Australian permanent resident tried to travel through Auckland instead, but was halfway through his quarantine period there when so-called "green zone" flights to Australia were paused due to NZ's COVID-19 outbreak.
"I'm still stuck here, my daughter was born on the 2nd of September," he said.
"And so my wife is in Australia right now, she's in Canberra, she's looking after a newborn and my three-year-old son, and I'm still stuck in Auckland, New Zealand with no prospect of getting home just yet."
With the trans-Tasman travel bubble still suspended, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) revealed there were around 400 Australians registered as wanting to return home from New Zealand.
Mr Minenko is becoming increasingly frustrated and anxious.
"This is the time that I'll never get back, right, it's those moments that I've now missed forever," he said.
"For my wife it was extremely difficult because she was going through that emotional and mental toughness but also physically, it was very, very stressful for her.
"She has family around but you know it doesn't compare to having your husband by your side.'
Around the world, there are more than 40,000 Australians trying to navigate the states and territories' international flight caps to get home.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison has acknowledged their frustration, promising home quarantine will soon become an option for those who have been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
As Australia moves closer to the 70 and 80 per cent vaccination targets outlined in the national reopening roadmap, Mr Morrison has asked state and territory leaders to update today's National Cabinet meeting on their home quarantine plans.
Some states, including South Australia, have already introduced mobile phone apps using geo-location and facial recognition softwareto track interstate arrivals.
South Australia has begun a home-based quarantine trial for people returning from New South Walesand Victoria. So how will this work and when will it be used for international arrivals?
Professor Catherine Bennett, the chair in epidemiology at Deakin University, said the introduction of home quarantine for fully vaccinated overseas travellers was an important step forward that would allow more people to return.
"I actually see this coming along quite quickly," she said.
"When we hit those targets which is probably going to be early October at the rate we're going, around the 80 per cent mark, if we've got these outbreaks under control then I think it could happen at that point, certainly in the states that already have the virus in the community."
Leaders at today's National Cabinet meeting are also expected to be briefed on the COVID-19 outbreak in New South Wales, as well as the vaccine rollout.
The most recent federal government figures show more than 44 per cent of Australians aged 16 and over have now been fully vaccinated.
View original post here:
- Whey too expensive: New Zealand cheese lovers forced to eke out supplies as prices jump - theguardian.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Bangladesh's Tamim ruled out of New Zealand tour - report - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Princess Announces 2023-2024 Cruises and Cruisetours From Australia and New Zealand - Cruise Industry News - November 23rd, 2021
- Twelve-year low leaves powerless New Zealand in need of urgent recharge - The Telegraph - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand-based oyster-farming system FlipFarm takes home GSA innovation award - SeafoodSource - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand's climate change regulation is messy and complex -- heres how to improve it - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Are New Zealands universities doing enough to define the limits of academic freedom? - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Club behind Team New Zealand gets venue petition - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand Breakers camp hit by Covid-19 - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- It's time to imagine New Zealand without production animals - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Indian New Zealanders amongst the most highly-vaccinated in the country - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- The Detail: What will living with Covid look like in the future? - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Newshub-Reid Research poll: Half of New Zealand doesn't support Three Waters reforms - Newshub - November 23rd, 2021
- Summer arrives early this year in New Zealand - The Bay's News First - SunLive - November 23rd, 2021
- Disposable masks washed 10 times still more protective than triple-layer fabric masks - study - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19: How New Zealand's vaccine restrictions compare to those overseas - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Unusual bedfellows: how gangs are pushing New Zealands Covid vaccination drive - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- France stand firm to seal first victory over New Zealand for 12 years - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- India sweep T20 series against New Zealand to kick off Dravid era - Reuters India - November 21st, 2021
- Dissent, threats and fury: mood darkens in New Zealand as Covid restrictions bite - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- Benee to kick off World Tour with 10 New Zealand shows in 2022 - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Ross Taylor: 'Any time you play India at home, you're going to be the underdogs' - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- Travel bites: On the hunt for New Zealand's best brownie - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Ready to be flexible and bat wherever team wants me to - Venkatesh Iyer - India Today - November 21st, 2021
- krito, West Coast: One of the best natural wonders in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India beat New Zealand by 73 runs in third T20I, seal series 3-0 - Business Standard - November 21st, 2021
- Groundswell NZ's 'Mother of all Protests' takes steps to avoid being hijacked by anti-vaxxers - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Leprosy still exists in New Zealand, with new cases in Canterbury - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- 'If I was New Zealand supporter, I would have demanded a refund': Gambhir lashes out on NZ's T20 WC final's performance - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Opinion: We need to remember what New Zealand represents to the world - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Cycling NZ CEO Jacques Landry quits after three years in job - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Stead admits NZ are facing a 'tough and challenging' schedule - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- 'Wicket in Kolkata will suit him': Gautam Gambhir looks forward to one change in India's XI for 3rd T20I vs New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Live Covid-19 updates for 22 November - all you need to know - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand Cricket wants the Black Caps to be the All Blacks of the cricketing world - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand's Biggest City Is to Ease Lockdown Restrictions - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021
- Another global showpiece, another England-New Zealand scrap - Reuters UK - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand finally welcomes godwit two months after it was blown 2,000km back to Alaska - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- Eoin Morgan admits England injuries favour New Zealand at T20 World Cup - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand warns of economic vulnerabilities in the Pacific - Reuters - November 9th, 2021
- What channel is Ireland v New Zealand Autumn Internationals match on? Kick off time, TV and live stream - Radio Times - November 9th, 2021
- Doug the ugly New Zealand potato could be world's biggest - Associated Press - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealands Mitchell Santner: I dont think 2019 will come up much - The Guardian - November 9th, 2021
- How Mori knowledge could help New Zealanders turn their concern for the environment into action - The Conversation AU - November 9th, 2021
- An asylum seeker from Myanmar was rescued by New Zealand after jumping from a cargo ship and surviving 23 hours in the freezing ocean - Yahoo News - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand Trotting Cup: Copy That topples favourite Self Assured at Addington - Stuff.co.nz - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand supports Taiwan's inclusion in CPTPP - Taiwan News - November 9th, 2021
- WHO warns of massive syringe shortfall in 2022 - RTE.ie - November 9th, 2021
- Experienced heads need to drive it against New Zealand - RTE.ie - November 9th, 2021
- Warriors confirmed for five NRL games in New Zealand in 2022 - Stuff.co.nz - November 9th, 2021
- New Zealand romp to record-breaking win over Italy - RTE.ie - November 9th, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Reason why Hardik Pandya isnt picked in T20I squad - CricTracker - November 9th, 2021
- COP26: Could New Zealand be forced to take more climate action? - Stuff.co.nz - November 9th, 2021
- England vs New Zealand LIVE: Result, final score and reaction from womens rugby Test today - The Independent - November 7th, 2021
- Doug the ugly New Zealand potato could be worlds biggest - NBC2 News - November 7th, 2021
- Covid-19 update: 113 new community cases in New Zealand today - RNZ - November 7th, 2021
- Why Asia must be invited when New Zealand reopens - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- New Zealand seals off northern region over suspected spread of COVID-19 - Reuters - November 7th, 2021
- End of Life Choice Act takes effect in New Zealand - RNZ - November 7th, 2021
- Wet and wild the story of New Zealand's extreme weather - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- Small town New Zealand's contribution to World War 1 explored in new book - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- New Zealand's APEC moment is virtually here - Newshub - November 7th, 2021
- Covid 19 Delta outbreak: Cook Islands, New Zealand travel bubble to resume in January - New Zealand Herald - November 7th, 2021
- Where to find New Zealand's best ice creams - Stuff.co.nz - November 7th, 2021
- Italy v New Zealand kick-off time, TV channel, live stream info and team news - Wales Online - November 7th, 2021
- Coronavirus: New Zealand moves to 89 percent of Kiwis with first vaccine dose - Newshub - November 7th, 2021
- Once a global conservation success story, New Zealands black robin in trouble again - The Guardian - November 5th, 2021
- New Zealand Gift Card and Incentive Card Market Report, Q2 2021 Update - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - November 5th, 2021
- New Zealand: Covid-positive person dies alone at home during isolation - The Guardian - November 5th, 2021
- New Zealand Held a Bird Contest. A Bat Won. - The New York Times - November 5th, 2021
- New Zealands children will all soon study the countrys brutal history its not before time - The Guardian - November 5th, 2021
- New Zealand vs Afghanistan live stream how to watch the T20 World Cup game live - Tom's Guide - November 5th, 2021
- From Milked to Night Raiders: Ten films to see at the New Zealand film festival - The Guardian - November 5th, 2021
- A change in the way the New Zealand Herald monitors comments on Covid-19 stories on social media - New Zealand Herald - November 5th, 2021
- How New Zealand Used Humor to Diversify Its Police - The Atlantic - November 5th, 2021
- Cook Islands announces two-way quarantine-free travel with NZ - RNZ - November 5th, 2021
- New Zealand overcome Wales in convincing win to return to top of world rankings - ESPN - November 5th, 2021
- The New Zealand Rugby Team Has Just Shared All of Its Training Secrets - Men's health UK - November 5th, 2021
- Andy Farrell: Team to face New Zealand is wide open - RTE.ie - November 5th, 2021
- England v New Zealand: Poppy Cleall to captain England for first time - BBC News - November 5th, 2021