New Zealand isn't the only country facing a shortage of nurses - can we compete when it comes to recruiting health staff from overseas?
Photo: RNZ / Marika Khabazi
When a teenage gunman shot dead 19 children and two adults at a school in Texas last month, Christchurch health workforcerecruiter Prudence Thomson was inundated with calls from the United States.
"It was pretty sad, I said to one of my recruiters, 'here we go, we're going to get some interest from the US'and sure enough we had some GPs, surgeons, nurses. It was just bing, bing, bing, 'hi I'm from the US'."
The recruitment process begins with a chat and sending through aCV.
"We ask what their motivation is to come to New Zealand. They say they want their kids to go to a school where they don't have active shooting drills and they don't have gun detectors on the door and I say, 'well, we would love to have you in New Zealand'."
Most of those initial approaches go nowhere, says Thomson, the founder of Accent Health Recruitment, one of a handful ofagencies in New Zealand specialising in hiring medical staff from offshore. She often gets a flurry of emails from countries where tragedies or disasters have happened.
"It's a kneejerk reaction."
Thomson's workload has soared as the workforce shortage grows and competition for internationally qualified nurses (IQNs) intensifies. New Zealand can't match other countries, likeAustralia, on salaries, but money isn't always the main drawcard, she says.
"I don't think I've had one nurse who's said they want to come here to earn a lot of money. They wouldgo to the Middle East."
But the process isn't helped by district health boards offering prospective employees different deals. For example, about half the nurses brought in from overseas don't have their flights paid for. Thomson hopesthiswill be streamlined under the new centralised health authority, Health NZ, so that all recruits are at least offered free flights and four weeks' accommodation.
Thomson is getting ready for a recruitment drive in Singapore where she will interview about 200 nurses, tell them about the culture of Aotearoa, and the relocation and registration process.
She explains what happens when the nurses arrive and the wraparound support they get, from welcome gifts of peanut slabsto help organising bank accounts.
The Detail also talks to Nurses Organisation president Anne Daniels about the urgent need for homegrown nurses, how to keep senior staff and offer potential recruits a wider range of opportunities to join the workforce.
Find out how to listen and subscribe toThe Detailhere.
You can also stay up-to-date by liking us onFacebookor following us onTwitter.
See the original post here:
- New Zealands The Beths bringing smorgasbord of music to Grog Shop next week - cleveland.com - August 4th, 2022
- Axiom Space will put New Zealand on International Space Station - Space.com - August 4th, 2022
- Coast House is a minimalist retreat in the heart of New Zealands South Island - Wallpaper* - August 4th, 2022
- NED vs NZ Live Streaming Details- When And Where To Watch Netherlands vs New Zealand Live In Your Country? New Zealand Tour Of Netherlands 2022, 1st... - August 4th, 2022
- New Zealand will continue to cooperate with more assertive China, Ardern says - The Guardian - August 4th, 2022
- New Zealand unable to say when monkeypox vaccines will arrive - The Guardian - August 4th, 2022
- Help wanted: New Zealand industries struggle to find workers - Rappler - August 4th, 2022
- The most requested karaoke songs in New Zealand - Stuff - August 4th, 2022
- Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman to Visit Samoa, Tonga, Solomon Islands, Australia, and New Zealand - United States Department of State -... - August 4th, 2022
- ENG-W vs NZ-W Group A Commonwealth Games 2022 LIVE Streaming Details: When and Where to Watch England Women... - Zee News - August 4th, 2022
- Meeting with Biosecurity New Zealand to help further protect Tasmania - Premier of Tasmania - August 4th, 2022
- The New Zealand news nugget circling the globe 110 years after publication - The Spinoff - August 4th, 2022
- Commonwealth Games 2022: All the New Zealand teams and athletes on day six - as it happened - New Zealand Herald - August 4th, 2022
- Must have double D breasts: New Zealand bar faces backlash for its sexist job advert - The Independent - August 4th, 2022
- New Zealand Dollar and Aussie Outperform on Improved Sentiment - Pound Sterling Live - August 4th, 2022
- Whisky In The Jar At New Zealand's Arable Awards | Scoop News - Scoop - August 4th, 2022
- Is it time to ditch the New Zealand Traveller Declaration? - Stuff - August 4th, 2022
- Explained: The New Zealand beach where the moon doesn't move the sea - Stuff - August 4th, 2022
- A guide to what you can't bring into New Zealand's national parks - Stuff - August 4th, 2022
- Hamish Flies High To Achieve New Zealand First | Scoop News - Scoop - August 4th, 2022
- International Space Station captures stunning views of New Zealand - Stuff - August 4th, 2022
- Rugby Championship 2022: Fixtures, team news and how to watch on TV - The Telegraph - August 4th, 2022
- Juniper benefits from Charlotte Rampling's layered performance as a grandmother grappling with mortality - ABC News - August 4th, 2022
- Netherlands vs New Zealand LIVE: Cricket score and updates from New Zealand in Netherlands 2022 - The Independent - August 4th, 2022
- Covid-19: Why a coming drop in NZ's vax rates is good news - New Zealand Herald - August 4th, 2022
- Covid NZ: Why long-term Covid restrictions are less effective than advertised - Stuff - August 4th, 2022
- Harley Boulton, one of New Zealand's early heart patients farewelled - Stuff - August 4th, 2022
- New Zealand's borders are fully reopening after more than two years - July 31st, 2022
- New Zealand: Tourist falls in thermal sinkhole, 'distressed' villagers ... - July 31st, 2022
- New Zealand's borders fully open after long pandemic closure - Reuters - July 31st, 2022
- Even as China becomes more assertive, there are still shared interests, New Zealand's prime minister says - Reuters - July 31st, 2022
- New Zealand powers to 7-wicket victory over Scotland - The Associated Press - en Espaol - July 31st, 2022
- Commonwealth Games 2022: Live updates of all the New Zealand teams and athletes on day three - New Zealand Herald - July 31st, 2022
- New Zealand Climbers Built Snow Cave To Survive Terrifying Avalanche - NDTV - July 31st, 2022
- Guns, rage and racism: Has NZ become an angry nation? - New Zealand Herald - July 31st, 2022
- Cost of living payment: Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern admits some people overseas will receive it - New Zealand Herald - July 31st, 2022
- Commonwealth Games 2022: A golden day in the pool for New Zealand - day three wrap - New Zealand Herald - July 31st, 2022
- Sunday rugby news as New Zealand boss hits back after scathing Hansen and Moffett criticism and Wales blow - Wales Online - July 31st, 2022
- Russia bans 32 New Zealand officials and journalists from entering the country - New Zealand Herald - July 31st, 2022
- Victory! Kate thrilled as she beats New Zealand rivals in Plymouth sailing race - VIDEO - Express - July 31st, 2022
- TikTok a threat to New Zealand businesses, expert warns - Stuff - July 31st, 2022
- Former Karitane nurse and New Zealand's oldest woman dies aged 110 - New Zealand Herald - July 31st, 2022
- Ryman Supports New Zealand's Love Of Dance With $15,000 | Scoop News - Scoop - July 31st, 2022
- 35 Years Since Te Reo Became An Official Language Of New Zealand | Scoop News - Scoop - July 31st, 2022
- Despite what political leaders say, New Zealands health workforce is in crisis but its the same everywhere else - Asia Pacific Report - July 31st, 2022
- The Perfect Storm: Health And Housing Crisis Will See More New Zealanders Struggle To Access Aged Care Services | Scoop News - Scoop - July 31st, 2022
- New Zealand's eight most remote islands at the edge of Aotearoa's Pacific realm - New Zealand Herald - July 31st, 2022
- New Zealand petition seeks to change country's name to Aotearoa in honor of its Mori roots - Yahoo News - July 29th, 2022
- Australian woman seriously injured after falling into geothermal sinkhole in New Zealand - New York Post - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand climbers survive avalanche and blizzard, thanks to snow cave and muesli bars - The Guardian - July 29th, 2022
- The paddock that became a grave for the people New Zealand branded defective and chose to forget - The Guardian - July 29th, 2022
- Are Australia and New Zealand Compromising on Democratic Ideals in the Pacific? - The Diplomat - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand is reopening, and its 10th 'Great Walk' is the perfect way to celebrate - iNews - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand thrash Scotland by 102 runs to seal T20 series - FRANCE 24 English - July 29th, 2022
- David Moffett calls for New Zealand Rugby chief executive Mark Robinson to resign - Stuff - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand's latest COVID wave is levelling off, with fewer people in hospital than feared - The Conversation - July 29th, 2022
- Cairns Airport international recovery focused on core markets of Singapore, New Zealand and Japan | anna.aero - anna.aero - July 29th, 2022
- Experienced England face early New Zealand test in netball title defence - The Guardian - July 29th, 2022
- Couple evicted from $4,500 Airbnb in the middle of night - CP24 Toronto's Breaking News - July 29th, 2022
- NZ skies ready for celestial show of up to '20 meteors an hour' - New Zealand Herald - July 29th, 2022
- Man charged with sabotage believed to be first in NZ history - Bay of Plenty Times - July 29th, 2022
- Commonwealth Games: New Zealand schedule and results at Birmingham 2022 - Stuff - July 29th, 2022
- Key of the Antarctic: Ex New Zealand PM leads expedition cruise south - New Zealand Herald - July 29th, 2022
- 'Slap in the face': Travel agents' anger at Air NZ's axing of commissions - New Zealand Herald - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand housing faces biggest ever crash - MacroBusiness - July 29th, 2022
- NCR Delivers Services to Run Bank of New Zealand's ATM Network - Business Wire - July 29th, 2022
- Where this airline boss would take every visitor to in New Zealand - Stuff - July 29th, 2022
- Former New Zealand sports rep bowled over by kindness on 104th birthday - Stuff - July 29th, 2022
- Back In Action: The New Zealand SailGP Team Hits The Waters In Plymouth | Scoop News - Scoop - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand must follow through on promise to halve emissions, look at whether it could be strengthened - COP26 president Alok Sharma - Newshub - July 29th, 2022
- The changing face of the Dictionary of New Zealand Biography - Stuff - July 29th, 2022
- The most expensive place in New Zealand to rent a home - Stuff - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand on track for worst year ever for climate-related insurance claims - Newshub - July 29th, 2022
- Whnau Mrama: New Zealand International Film Festival: Six of the wildest rides - Stuff - July 29th, 2022
- Scotland vs New Zealand, 2nd T20I, New Zealand tour of Scotland, 2022 - Cricbuzz - July 29th, 2022
- New Zealand to Keep Hiking at Pace After Third Half-Point Move - Bloomberg - July 13th, 2022
- No fear: the New Zealand virtual reality app helping conquer phobias - The Guardian - July 13th, 2022
- New Zealand reports second monkeypox case, unrelated to first - The Guardian - July 13th, 2022
- Plymouth couple returns from New Zealand to face charges in 2015 child neglect case - FOX 9 Minneapolis-St. Paul - July 13th, 2022
- New Zealand Announces New Police Powers to Tackle Exploding Violent Gang Crime - The Epoch Times - July 13th, 2022