Captain Heather Knight struck a magnificent century in the fourth ODI at Derby, as England overcame New Zealands total of 244 with three wickets left their highest ever successful run chase in one-day internationals to seal a 3-1 series win with one game left to play.
We havent been at our best as a batting group the last couple of games and I was desperate today to be the one to try and hit a big score for the team, Knight said.
She labelled her knock of 101 her best innings in 50-over cricket, adding: Its a bit of a monkey off my back. I havent got another ODI hundred since the first one, in the 2017 World Cup.
A career-best four for 47 from seamer Hannah Rowe ensured the run chase was not without tension. Rowes first spell reduced England from 52 without loss to 71 for three. Lauren Winfield-Hill (33) was bowled by a ball that jagged back off the pitch, while Tammy Beaumont (16) edged behind and Nat Sciver (11) tangled herself up playing around a straight one and was trapped lbw.
Knight shared a century partnership with Amy Jones to calm English nerves, but Rowe struck again in the 38th over Jones (40) toeing to mid-off with 74 runs still needed. Amy Satterthwaite then trapped Sophia Dunkley lbw for a duck, to leave England 185 for five in the 40th over.
Rowes final over, though, cost 13 runs including a six smashed over the legside by the unflappable Danni Wyatt (27 off 27 balls) and Knight calmly continued on her way to three figures, bringing up the milestone with a drive through backward point in the 47th over.
The Spin: sign up and get our weekly cricket email.
Both eventually fell in the 49th over, Knight holing out to deep midwicket before Wyatt heaved across the line and was trapped lbw. But Anya Shrubsole walloped Leigh Kasperek down the ground for four before biffing a single and despite Katey Martin whipping off the bails to stump Sophie Ecclestone, Kaspereks delivery was wide, sealing the deal with three balls to spare.
Earlier New Zealand had been reduced to 33 for three in the powerplay after Knight won the toss and inserted the visitors. Suzie Bates (17) had sent Shrubsoles first two balls of the series crashing to the boundary, but in the sixth over she hit the ball to Sciver at midwicket, dashed down the pitch, was sent back and dived too early. The wicketkeeper, Jones, ran Bates out an inch short of her crease.
Shrubsole, who had sat on the sidelines for the first three ODIs after spraining her ankle in training a fortnight ago, then took wickets in successive overs: Tuesdays heroine Maddy Green gently plonked one into the hands of Freya Davies at mid-on for a duck, before Lauren Down (41) was deceived by a beauty that swung in and straightened to take out her off stump.
Sophie Devine took on Ecclestone, slogging her over deep backward square for six, but was trapped lbw by Charlie Dean (three for 52) nine runs short of her half-century. Devines appeal to the third umpire was more in hope in expectation: ball tracking indicated the impact would have been halfway down middle stump.
Half-centuries from Satterthwaite (54) and Martin (65 not out), and some hefty ball striking from Brooke Halliday (28 from 19) at the back end of the innings, though, saw New Zealand recover to 244 for eight.
Englands slip-ups in the field helped them on their way. Ecclestone put down a caught-and-bowled chance against Satterthwaite while she was on 13, while Martin was rapped on the pad by Dean when still in single figures, and was fortunate that England chose not to review it replays showing that the ball would have gone on to hit leg stump.
Its good to contribute to the team I havent done that for such a long period of time, in ODI cricket especially, Martin said. To compete regularly against the world champions is such a confidence builder for us.
- New Zealand's COVID-19 re-opening plans leave Maori feeling exposed - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand Introduces New COVID-19 Management System - Voice of America - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand to ease COVID measures this week despite Omicron threat - PM - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand's Cairns not sure he will walk again after spinal stroke - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand to enshrine protections for pill testing in world first - The Guardian - December 3rd, 2021
- Covid-19 update: 92 new community cases reported in New Zealand today - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- How NFTs are changing the New Zealand art world - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Who is New Zealands new opposition leader Christopher Luxon? - The Guardian - December 3rd, 2021
- 10 ways New Zealand employers can turn the 'great resignation' into a 'great recruitment' - The Conversation AU - December 3rd, 2021
- 90 pct of Kiwis getting first COVID-19 vaccine proves New Zealand isn't a 'divided nation' - Grant Robertson - Newshub - December 3rd, 2021
- Was New Zealand too slow to deploy police and soldiers to the Solomon Islands? - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- India vs New Zealand 2021: Tim Southee says Wankhede will be `another challenge` in 2nd Test - Zee News - December 3rd, 2021
- Virat Kohli returns as India take on New Zealand in second test - The Tribune - December 3rd, 2021
- IND vs NZ: 'It's so lopsided it's not funny': New Zealand great slams team set-up, says 'stop hiding in the grass' - Hindustan Times - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand city becomes one of first in world to introduce a climate tax for residents - The Independent - December 3rd, 2021
- Rugby: All Black Ardie Savea recommits to New Zealand Rugby and the Hurricanes - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- Many New Zealand youth show interest in online platforms and streamers in survey - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- Immigration blocks pathway for at-risk Afghans to settle in New Zealand - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- Rachin Ravindra - the cricketer you want, and the friend you need - ESPNcricinfo.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Biceps and buddies: Kiwi arm-wrestlers share their secrets - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand well-placed to detect and contain new Omicron Covid variant - expert - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Six shortcuts on New Zealand's Great Walks: Day hikes and taster trails - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- Graham Hawkes inducted into New Zealand Hospitality Hall of Fame - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand milk production up but cow numbers fall - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- 'Scared as' Hauraki iwi on high alert as New Zealand enters the traffic light system - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: New Zealand's women politicians are showing the way - Telegraph India - December 3rd, 2021
- Housing: New Zealand prices to calm next year before fall - poll - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Confident Pakistan ready to seek revenge ... - November 28th, 2021
- Rohit Sharma leading India is a big change, we all are ... - November 28th, 2021
- In New Zealand, Tangata Whenua Marks The People There First - Foreign Policy - November 28th, 2021
- Dell hones focus on New Zealand market with country manager appointment - ZDNet - November 28th, 2021
- Coronavirus: New Zealand in 'good position' to combat new Omicron variant - Ministry of Health - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- 'I would like to give the Kiwis the last 45-30 mins to bat': Karthik predicts the target India will set for New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 28th, 2021
- Tricor Group Completes Acquisition of NZGT Holding Company Limited, A Leading Corporate Trustee and Fund Supervisor in New Zealand with NZ$250 Billion... - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand opposition leader Judith Collins ousted after move to demote rival backfires - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- 'You are free': What it felt like to flee Afghanistan for a new life in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Irfan Pathan Explains Why Shubman Gill Will Have To "Work On His Technique" - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand Supports Sustainably Endorsed Tourism Businesses In New Zealand | Scoop News - Scoop - November 28th, 2021
- Shreyas Iyer Reveals What Rahul Dravid Instructed Him To Do On Day 4 Of Kanpur Test vs New Zealand - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- COVID-19 expert explains why New Zealand is 'well-placed to manage threat' of new South African variant - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- India's 5 Biggest Wins vs New Zealand In Tests - Cricket Addictor - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand 'deeply concerned' over Solomon Islands riots - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand cancels more than 1000 flights as New Zealand shifts to living with COVID-19 - 9News - November 28th, 2021
- Good and bad news for New Zealand sport after Government's MIQ announcement; Super Rugby Pacific in doubt - New Zealand Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Whey too expensive: New Zealand cheese lovers forced to eke out supplies as prices jump - theguardian.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Bangladesh's Tamim ruled out of New Zealand tour - report - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Princess Announces 2023-2024 Cruises and Cruisetours From Australia and New Zealand - Cruise Industry News - November 23rd, 2021
- Twelve-year low leaves powerless New Zealand in need of urgent recharge - The Telegraph - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand-based oyster-farming system FlipFarm takes home GSA innovation award - SeafoodSource - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand's climate change regulation is messy and complex -- heres how to improve it - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Are New Zealands universities doing enough to define the limits of academic freedom? - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Club behind Team New Zealand gets venue petition - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand Breakers camp hit by Covid-19 - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- It's time to imagine New Zealand without production animals - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Indian New Zealanders amongst the most highly-vaccinated in the country - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- The Detail: What will living with Covid look like in the future? - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Newshub-Reid Research poll: Half of New Zealand doesn't support Three Waters reforms - Newshub - November 23rd, 2021
- Summer arrives early this year in New Zealand - The Bay's News First - SunLive - November 23rd, 2021
- Disposable masks washed 10 times still more protective than triple-layer fabric masks - study - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19: How New Zealand's vaccine restrictions compare to those overseas - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Unusual bedfellows: how gangs are pushing New Zealands Covid vaccination drive - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- France stand firm to seal first victory over New Zealand for 12 years - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- India sweep T20 series against New Zealand to kick off Dravid era - Reuters India - November 21st, 2021
- Dissent, threats and fury: mood darkens in New Zealand as Covid restrictions bite - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- Benee to kick off World Tour with 10 New Zealand shows in 2022 - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Ross Taylor: 'Any time you play India at home, you're going to be the underdogs' - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- Travel bites: On the hunt for New Zealand's best brownie - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Ready to be flexible and bat wherever team wants me to - Venkatesh Iyer - India Today - November 21st, 2021
- krito, West Coast: One of the best natural wonders in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India beat New Zealand by 73 runs in third T20I, seal series 3-0 - Business Standard - November 21st, 2021
- Groundswell NZ's 'Mother of all Protests' takes steps to avoid being hijacked by anti-vaxxers - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Leprosy still exists in New Zealand, with new cases in Canterbury - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- 'If I was New Zealand supporter, I would have demanded a refund': Gambhir lashes out on NZ's T20 WC final's performance - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Opinion: We need to remember what New Zealand represents to the world - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Cycling NZ CEO Jacques Landry quits after three years in job - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Stead admits NZ are facing a 'tough and challenging' schedule - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- 'Wicket in Kolkata will suit him': Gautam Gambhir looks forward to one change in India's XI for 3rd T20I vs New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Live Covid-19 updates for 22 November - all you need to know - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand Cricket wants the Black Caps to be the All Blacks of the cricketing world - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand's Biggest City Is to Ease Lockdown Restrictions - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021