Overseas New Zealanders trying to return home are facing a queue tens of thousands of people long, as the country reopens bookings to cross the border.
The countrys borders have been strictly controlled since the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic only citizens, permanent residents and a handful of essential workers can enter, and all of them must make a booking to spend two weeks in government-controlled quarantine (MIQ).
Demand for those spaces has vastly outpaced demand, with some hopeful returnees spending weeks refreshing the site, employing MIQ assistants or using bots to assist them secure a space.
The scale of the problem facing those trapped overseas has now been revealed for the first time, as the government opened a lobby system for booking quarantine spaces, showing where people are in the queue. Many took to social media to express their frustration posting screenshots showing thousands of people ahead of them.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment confirmed that 31,800 people were in the queue on Monday, and 5,364 of them secured vouchers for rooms. The vouchers were released at 9am and all were gone within two and a half hours.
I know many thousands of people missed out on vouchers in todays release, the joint head of MIQ, Megan Main, said in a statement. I want to reassure people that there are still several thousand vouchers still to be released through to the end of the year. They will get other chances. There will be another large release of a few thousand vouchers early next week and there may also be another smaller one later this week.
The government paused all new releases of quarantine rooms during the latest outbreak of Covid-19 in New Zealand, and only began releasing rooms again on Monday.
New Zealand is still battling to crush the Delta variant outbreak. A level 4 lockdown has managed to reduce daily case numbers to about 11-24 a day, but has not yet eliminated community transmission completely.
On Monday, prime minister Jacinda Ardern announced that Auckland, the centre of the outbreak, would move out of its level 4 lockdown into level 3 restrictions, which allow socially distanced services like takeaway food, at midnight on Tuesday. The rest of the country is at level 2 no longer in lockdown, but with some restrictions on gathering size and mask-wearing.
New Zealand reported 14 new cases on Tuesday, all but one of which were linked to existing infections. There are now 1,085 cases in the outbreak, 790 of which have recovered.
In total 71.6% of New Zealands eligible population (those aged 12 and over) have had at least one dose of the vaccine, and 37.8% are fully vaccinated.
On Tuesday, Ardern announced fines would increase for those caught breaching the rules the maximum fine for a person would increase to $1,000 to $12,000, and the maximum fine for companies from $1,000 to $15,000.
Throughout our Covid work, our success has been really based on the fact that people by and large have been really compliant, and its meant on a number of occasions now weve been able to manage the virus successfully. However there has been the odd person that has broken the rules and put others at risk, Ardern said.
The increases follow several high-profile cases of people breaching lockdown rules, including an Auckland couple that took a holiday to Wnaka in the South Island, a man who drove a caravan across the country, and two men arrested at the border with $100,000 and a boot-full of KFC.
See the rest here:
- New Zealand's COVID-19 re-opening plans leave Maori feeling exposed - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand Introduces New COVID-19 Management System - Voice of America - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand to ease COVID measures this week despite Omicron threat - PM - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand's Cairns not sure he will walk again after spinal stroke - Reuters - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand to enshrine protections for pill testing in world first - The Guardian - December 3rd, 2021
- Covid-19 update: 92 new community cases reported in New Zealand today - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- How NFTs are changing the New Zealand art world - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Who is New Zealands new opposition leader Christopher Luxon? - The Guardian - December 3rd, 2021
- 10 ways New Zealand employers can turn the 'great resignation' into a 'great recruitment' - The Conversation AU - December 3rd, 2021
- 90 pct of Kiwis getting first COVID-19 vaccine proves New Zealand isn't a 'divided nation' - Grant Robertson - Newshub - December 3rd, 2021
- Was New Zealand too slow to deploy police and soldiers to the Solomon Islands? - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- India vs New Zealand 2021: Tim Southee says Wankhede will be `another challenge` in 2nd Test - Zee News - December 3rd, 2021
- Virat Kohli returns as India take on New Zealand in second test - The Tribune - December 3rd, 2021
- IND vs NZ: 'It's so lopsided it's not funny': New Zealand great slams team set-up, says 'stop hiding in the grass' - Hindustan Times - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand city becomes one of first in world to introduce a climate tax for residents - The Independent - December 3rd, 2021
- Rugby: All Black Ardie Savea recommits to New Zealand Rugby and the Hurricanes - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- Many New Zealand youth show interest in online platforms and streamers in survey - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- Immigration blocks pathway for at-risk Afghans to settle in New Zealand - RNZ - December 3rd, 2021
- Rachin Ravindra - the cricketer you want, and the friend you need - ESPNcricinfo.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Biceps and buddies: Kiwi arm-wrestlers share their secrets - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand well-placed to detect and contain new Omicron Covid variant - expert - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Six shortcuts on New Zealand's Great Walks: Day hikes and taster trails - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- Graham Hawkes inducted into New Zealand Hospitality Hall of Fame - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- New Zealand milk production up but cow numbers fall - New Zealand Herald - December 3rd, 2021
- 'Scared as' Hauraki iwi on high alert as New Zealand enters the traffic light system - Stuff.co.nz - December 3rd, 2021
- Letters to the Editor: New Zealand's women politicians are showing the way - Telegraph India - December 3rd, 2021
- Housing: New Zealand prices to calm next year before fall - poll - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- T20 World Cup: Confident Pakistan ready to seek revenge ... - November 28th, 2021
- Rohit Sharma leading India is a big change, we all are ... - November 28th, 2021
- In New Zealand, Tangata Whenua Marks The People There First - Foreign Policy - November 28th, 2021
- Dell hones focus on New Zealand market with country manager appointment - ZDNet - November 28th, 2021
- Coronavirus: New Zealand in 'good position' to combat new Omicron variant - Ministry of Health - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- 'I would like to give the Kiwis the last 45-30 mins to bat': Karthik predicts the target India will set for New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 28th, 2021
- Tricor Group Completes Acquisition of NZGT Holding Company Limited, A Leading Corporate Trustee and Fund Supervisor in New Zealand with NZ$250 Billion... - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand opposition leader Judith Collins ousted after move to demote rival backfires - The Guardian - November 28th, 2021
- 'You are free': What it felt like to flee Afghanistan for a new life in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 28th, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Irfan Pathan Explains Why Shubman Gill Will Have To "Work On His Technique" - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand Supports Sustainably Endorsed Tourism Businesses In New Zealand | Scoop News - Scoop - November 28th, 2021
- Shreyas Iyer Reveals What Rahul Dravid Instructed Him To Do On Day 4 Of Kanpur Test vs New Zealand - NDTVSports.com - November 28th, 2021
- COVID-19 expert explains why New Zealand is 'well-placed to manage threat' of new South African variant - Newshub - November 28th, 2021
- India's 5 Biggest Wins vs New Zealand In Tests - Cricket Addictor - November 28th, 2021
- New Zealand 'deeply concerned' over Solomon Islands riots - RNZ - November 28th, 2021
- Air New Zealand cancels more than 1000 flights as New Zealand shifts to living with COVID-19 - 9News - November 28th, 2021
- Good and bad news for New Zealand sport after Government's MIQ announcement; Super Rugby Pacific in doubt - New Zealand Herald - November 28th, 2021
- Whey too expensive: New Zealand cheese lovers forced to eke out supplies as prices jump - theguardian.com - November 23rd, 2021
- Bangladesh's Tamim ruled out of New Zealand tour - report - Reuters - November 23rd, 2021
- Princess Announces 2023-2024 Cruises and Cruisetours From Australia and New Zealand - Cruise Industry News - November 23rd, 2021
- Twelve-year low leaves powerless New Zealand in need of urgent recharge - The Telegraph - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand-based oyster-farming system FlipFarm takes home GSA innovation award - SeafoodSource - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand's climate change regulation is messy and complex -- heres how to improve it - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Are New Zealands universities doing enough to define the limits of academic freedom? - The Conversation AU - November 23rd, 2021
- Club behind Team New Zealand gets venue petition - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- New Zealand Breakers camp hit by Covid-19 - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- It's time to imagine New Zealand without production animals - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Indian New Zealanders amongst the most highly-vaccinated in the country - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- The Detail: What will living with Covid look like in the future? - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Newshub-Reid Research poll: Half of New Zealand doesn't support Three Waters reforms - Newshub - November 23rd, 2021
- Summer arrives early this year in New Zealand - The Bay's News First - SunLive - November 23rd, 2021
- Disposable masks washed 10 times still more protective than triple-layer fabric masks - study - RNZ - November 23rd, 2021
- Covid-19: How New Zealand's vaccine restrictions compare to those overseas - Stuff.co.nz - November 23rd, 2021
- Unusual bedfellows: how gangs are pushing New Zealands Covid vaccination drive - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- France stand firm to seal first victory over New Zealand for 12 years - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- India sweep T20 series against New Zealand to kick off Dravid era - Reuters India - November 21st, 2021
- Dissent, threats and fury: mood darkens in New Zealand as Covid restrictions bite - The Guardian - November 21st, 2021
- Benee to kick off World Tour with 10 New Zealand shows in 2022 - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Ross Taylor: 'Any time you play India at home, you're going to be the underdogs' - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- Travel bites: On the hunt for New Zealand's best brownie - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India vs New Zealand: Ready to be flexible and bat wherever team wants me to - Venkatesh Iyer - India Today - November 21st, 2021
- krito, West Coast: One of the best natural wonders in New Zealand - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- India beat New Zealand by 73 runs in third T20I, seal series 3-0 - Business Standard - November 21st, 2021
- Groundswell NZ's 'Mother of all Protests' takes steps to avoid being hijacked by anti-vaxxers - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Leprosy still exists in New Zealand, with new cases in Canterbury - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- 'If I was New Zealand supporter, I would have demanded a refund': Gambhir lashes out on NZ's T20 WC final's performance - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Opinion: We need to remember what New Zealand represents to the world - New Zealand Herald - November 21st, 2021
- Cycling NZ CEO Jacques Landry quits after three years in job - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- Stead admits NZ are facing a 'tough and challenging' schedule - ESPNcricinfo.com - November 21st, 2021
- 'Wicket in Kolkata will suit him': Gautam Gambhir looks forward to one change in India's XI for 3rd T20I vs New Zealand - Hindustan Times - November 21st, 2021
- Live Covid-19 updates for 22 November - all you need to know - RNZ - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand Cricket wants the Black Caps to be the All Blacks of the cricketing world - Stuff.co.nz - November 21st, 2021
- New Zealand's Biggest City Is to Ease Lockdown Restrictions - The New York Times - November 9th, 2021