The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has launched clinical trials to study the effectiveness of psychedelic drugs including MDMA and psilocybin as a treatment for military veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder, addiction and other serious mental health issues. Building on previous research that has shown the potential for psychedelics to treat serious mental health conditions, the VA is now conducting at least five studies to gain more insight into the promising drugs, according to a report in The New York Times.
This is a watershed moment, said Dr. Rachel Yehuda, the director of mental health at the James J. Peters Veterans Affairs Medical Center in the Bronx, who is leading one of the studies. This is a time for a lot of hope.
Research into psychedelics including psilocybin, MDMA and ketamine has shown that the drugs have potential therapeutic benefits, particularly for serious mental health conditions such as depression, addiction and anxiety. A study published in the peer-reviewed journal JAMA Psychiatry in 2020 found that psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy was an effective and quick-acting treatment for a group of 24 participants with major depressive disorder. Separate research published in 2016 determined that psilocybin treatment produced substantial and sustained decreases in depression and anxiety in patients with life-threatening cancer.
Psychedelic magic mushrooms are being researched to see the benefits of psilocybin used in ... [+] psychedelic therapy. There is currently movement to legalize or decriminalize plant medicine because of it's therapeutic potential.
In 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration designated MDMA as a breakthrough therapy for PTSD, a move which streamlined clinical trials to test the effectiveness of the drug. A year later, the FDA granted the same status to psilocybin as a breakthrough therapy for treatment-resistant depression. The new willingness to allow research has led to a push to study psychedelics as medicines for the nations military veterans, whose challenges with mental illness have led to a suicide rate among vets that is higher than that of civilians.
In New York, researchers are testing MDMA-assisted psychotherapy for a group of veterans in a trial that began in January. Three additional trials of MDMA and synthetic psilocybin, the active compound in psychedelic mushrooms, are scheduled to begin later this year at clinics in Portland and San Diego. Dr. Leslie Morland, a clinical psychologist at the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System in San Diego, is researching the potential for MDMA to enhance couples therapy in relationships challenged by PTSD.
The VA is in some ways the best place for this type of research to happen, said Dr. Leslie Morland, a clinical psychologist at the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System in San Diego, who is studying the possibility that MDMA can enhance couples therapy in marriages strained by PTSD. The VA is going to make sure that we have good data that supports the safety and efficacy before they offer it to veterans, as I think is appropriate.
Last month, The New York Times reported that hundreds of veterans have traveled to psychedelic retreat centers, which can be found in Mexico, Jamaica and other foreign countries. With vets seeking these often-unregulated options, Dr. Shannon T. Remick, a psychiatrist at the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System in Loma Linda, California, said that those charged with caring for vets have a responsibility to research into the drugs.
Theres a risk of doing nothing as veterans are seeking care elsewhere, said Remick, who is leading a study of MDMA as a treatment for PTSD among a group of 10 combat vets. Its our priority to make sure veterans are safe and getting the best care.
While the research into psychedelics shows a strong potential to help people struggling with mental illness, they are not miracle drugs. Although the effects have been shown to be quick and long-lasting, therapy with the drugs often entails intense, frightening sessions as patients deal with the trauma from their past. Yehuda said that the treatments can be exceedingly painful, likening the experience to giving birth.
The most common misconception about MDMA with psychotherapy is that youre taking this magic pill that will take away your symptoms, she said. Whats happening is you are getting in a state that is conducive to doing difficult work in a manner in which you are in the right window of tolerance where you can emotionally engage, where you can process the memory but not get so distressed by the memory that you become emotionally numb.
But the experience seems to be tremendously helpful. Standard treatments for PTSD at VA clinics, which can include prolonged exposure therapy and cognitive processing therapy, can help relieve patients distress. Early results of her research, however, show a much more profound effect.
Many people are showing what seems to look like remission, said Yehuda.
Researchers are optimistic about the potential for psychedelics to foster a new age of care for mental illnesses. But they are tempering their enthusiasm with the reality of the impact the substances can have on patients.
The VA is involved in at least five clinical trials to study psychedelics including MDMA and ... [+] psilocybin as treatments for mental illness.
Were taking vulnerable people, particularly people with severe mental illness, PTSD, substance abuse disorders, and were putting them in a vulnerable state of mind, a very suggestible state of mind, said Dr. Christopher Stauffer, a psychiatrist at the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System in Portland, who is leading two psychedelic studies. We have to be super careful about bias in all directions, from the researchers to the participants.
Kevin Nicholson, COO of psychedelics therapies firm Delic and CEO of Ketamine Wellness Centers, says that his company is already providing ketamine psychedelic therapy for veterans seeking mental health treatment. Last month, the company announced a new partnership with the VA in Arizona.
Veterans suffering from treatment-resistant depression, PTSD and anxiety will now have access to ketamine therapy at the KWC Arizona clinics in Phoenix, Tucson and Mesa-Gilbert at no out-of-pocket cost with prior authorization from the VA, Nicholson writes in an email, adding that more treatments will be available for vets and other patients in the future. We will continue to expand access to ketamine treatments through KWC, and as future medicines move towards legality, such as MDMA and psilocybin, we are prepared to support emerging markets and cater to those suffering from a growing range of conditions.
Yehuda is certain that psychedelics will become a successful therapy for many patients with mental illness. But she warns that the drugs arent for everybody.
I think its going to be a breakthrough for a bunch of people, she said. But we just have to figure out who they are, and more importantly, who they arent.
- Psychedelic Water CEO Pankaj Gogia Talks About The Future Of Psychedelics - Exclusive - Health Digest - August 2nd, 2022
- Biden Administration Says Task Force Is Needed to Advance Psychedelics Research - Green Entrepreneur - August 2nd, 2022
- Legalizing the trip: One 'shroom advocate's playbook - POLITICO - August 2nd, 2022
- 'The result was a rebirth. I finally got where I wanted to go': Celebs who have tried psychedelics - The Daily Post-Athenian - August 2nd, 2022
- Texas' first Ceremonial Psychedelic Treatment Center WITHIN opens in Austin - PR Web - August 2nd, 2022
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Psychedelics, Neurodevelopment and Electrophysiology job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY | 303322 - Times Higher Education - August 2nd, 2022
- Unlimited Sciences Announces Groundbreaking New Study to Observe Ayahuasca's Effects on Trauma - Business Wire - August 2nd, 2022
- Good Trip? How Psychiatrists Got Serious About Using Psychedelics to Treat Mental Health - Robb Report - July 25th, 2022
- The hope and hype of psychedelic therapy - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Microdosing Psilocybin Mushrooms May Improve Mental Health and Mood - Healthline - July 25th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of July 18 - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Psyched Up: The race to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Keeping the Hippie Dream Alive - The New York Times - July 25th, 2022
- DEA Sued Over Delays To Open Records For Psychedelics And Cannabis - Benzinga - Benzinga - July 25th, 2022
- Trade to Black Podcast: the Senate Vs the Cannabis Administration Opportunity Act - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Otago academic and comedian takes on the science of getting high - Stuff - July 25th, 2022
- Can mad honey get you high? A bee expert reveals the answer - Inverse - July 25th, 2022
- The promise of psychedelics - Investors' Chronicle - Investors Chronicle - July 14th, 2022
- House Moves to Expand Psychedelic Therapy Research - The Intercept - July 14th, 2022
- Ann Shulgin, pioneer of psychedelics in therapy, dies at 91 - ABC News - July 14th, 2022
- Doctors Urge Access to Psychedelic Therapies in New Mexico - TIME - July 14th, 2022
- States That Have Made Advancements Toward Legalizing Psychedelics - StreetInsider.com - July 14th, 2022
- Canada: 100+ Healthcare Professionals Protest Psilocybin Access Ban For Psychedelics-Assisted Therapy Training - Benzinga - July 14th, 2022
- Optimi Health Finalizes Psilocybin Supply Agreement With Bloom Psychedelic Therapy And Research Centre - Marketscreener.com - July 14th, 2022
- Psychedelics gave me the courage to take charge of my romantic life - Mic - July 7th, 2022
- Goodbye Weed and Acid, Hello Magic Mushrooms - Psychedelic Spotlight - July 7th, 2022
- Meet the Married Couple Trailblazing the Development of Psychedelic Therapies - PR Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Berkeley's psychedelic rebbe is ready for the first Jewish cannabis retreat - The Jewish News of Northern California - July 7th, 2022
- CaaMTech Collaborates With the Alexander Shulgin Research Institute to Study Shulgin Compounds - Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Origin Therapeutics adds Clairvoyant Therapeutics to its Portfolio - GlobeNewswire - July 7th, 2022
- Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy & Medicine - Psychedelics.com - July 4th, 2022
- Can microdosing psychedelics improve your mental health? Here's what the science says - ABC News - July 4th, 2022
- Inside Vision Treks: The Mind Armys Psychedelic Retreat Takes Strangers Into The Desert - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- GOP Congressman's Amendment Would Direct Military To Study Psilocybin And MDMA Benefits For Service Members - Marijuana Moment - July 4th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms: BC production facility one of a handful licensed to grow - CTV News - July 4th, 2022
- 3 Paranormal Experiences That Have Caught The Attention Of Mental Health Researchers - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- 10 Psychedelics CEOs To Pay Attention To In 2022 - Yahoo Finance - June 29th, 2022
- Secret ancient Andean passageways may have been used in rituals involving psychedelics - Livescience.com - June 29th, 2022
- How psychedelics act on the brain to relieve depression - Daily Maverick - June 29th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are all the rage. But are they Jewish? - The Guardian - June 29th, 2022
- Treating Stress with Wearable Technology - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - PR Newswire - June 29th, 2022
- This Week in Psychedelic Stocks: Compass Pathways Wins Patent Battle, MindMed Patents Candy Flipping, and More! - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Is there a future for psychedelic treatment in Saudi Arabia? - Arab News - June 29th, 2022
- Optimi Health Initiates Agreement With SABI Mind For Therapeutic Supplies Of Psilocybin, MDMA - Marketscreener.com - June 29th, 2022
- Braxia Scientific CEO to Deliver Keynote Address at HC Wainwright & Co. 1st Annual Mental Health Conference: Neuropsychiatry, Psychedelics, and... - June 29th, 2022
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-Assisted Therapy in Hawaii: A Brief Review - Cureus - June 29th, 2022
- How an NHL Enforcer Broke His Body and Turned to Psychedelics to Heal His Brain - Rolling Stone - June 22nd, 2022
- The top psychedelic drug developers leading the market - Labiotech.eu - June 22nd, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2022
- Two psychedelic-related initiatives may be on the 2022 Colorado ballot - Denver 7 Colorado News - June 22nd, 2022
- Cybin Inc. Reports Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - Business Wire - June 22nd, 2022
- SPOTLIGHT IN FOCUS - The Rise of Psychedelic Therapy - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 22nd, 2022
- Rapper Vic Mensa has a more badass fitness routine than you thanks to martial arts, psychedelics and meditation - British GQ - June 22nd, 2022
- What is Ego Death And How Does it Work? - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 22nd, 2022
- Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Trials of Psychedelics in Headache Disorders: Bryan Roth, MD, PhD - Neurology Live - June 11th, 2022
- Stephen Asma: My father's experience with morphine in hospice showed me the healing joy of altered states - Chicago Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 30 - The Dales Report - June 5th, 2022
- Psychedelic Wellness: 5 Magical Benefits of Magic Mushrooms - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - June 5th, 2022
- 'Magic mushrooms drug could help depression sufferers in the years to come' - Irish Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Tripping over the potential of psychedelics for autism | Spectrum - Spectrum - June 3rd, 2022
- Can you take the trip out of psychedelics and still treat depression? - New Scientist - June 3rd, 2022
- We spark curiosity: how the psychedelics industry is taking on Davos - The Guardian - June 3rd, 2022
- Cybin Announces Publication in Frontiers in Psychology Journal Introducing EMBARK, an Integrative Model of Psychedelic Therapy - Business Wire - June 3rd, 2022
- Ketamine can treat depression but teletherapy could make it accessible - Inverse - June 3rd, 2022
- 2022-06-01 | PINL:EHVVF | Press Release | ehave Inc - Stockhouse - June 3rd, 2022
- VIDEO: The Weekly Weed Report (05-31-22) - Investing Daily - Investing Daily - June 3rd, 2022
- Psychedelics Companies in Oregon Will Have to Grapple With 280E - Business Insider - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 16 - The Dales Report - May 21st, 2022
- Psychedelics and Mindfulness: The Future of Mental Health? | Microdose - Microdose Psychedelic Insights - May 21st, 2022
- CATALYST Summit: 3 Psychedelic Speakers to Catch This Weekend - Psychedelic Spotlight - May 21st, 2022
- 'I took ketamine to treat my severe depression' - iNews - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 9 - The Dales Report - May 15th, 2022
- Psychedelic Patents are Broken Because the Patent System Is Broken - VICE - May 15th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are on WeHos mind - WEHOville - May 15th, 2022
- Behind the Scenes on the First Study To Compare the Effects of LSD and Psilocybin - Technology Networks - May 15th, 2022
- Revitalist's Strategic Initiatives Continue to Exceed Expectations for Execution Giving Company Record High Revenues Since Opening in 2018. - Business... - May 15th, 2022
- MDMA as medicine: Stemming the tide of veteran suicides in Western North Carolina - Smoky Mountain News - May 15th, 2022
- Cybin's CYB0004 Shows Positive Preclinical Results Over ... - May 3rd, 2022
- Psychedelics played role in Wallace Falls hiker's death ... - May 3rd, 2022