Witnesses say the 25-year-old woman fell down along the trail and refused help.
SNOHOMISH COUNTY, Wash A 25-year-old woman has been found dead near Wallace Falls in Snohomish County. Police suspect psychedelic mushrooms played a part.
Leigh Kuppler was out for a hike at the falls with her partner last Friday when they ran into a pair of young women.
At one point, she was standing there, and she fell straight back onto the ground, hitting her head on the rocks," said Kuppler.
According to Kuppler, the women appeared intoxicated but not drunk. One of the women had torn clothing and dirt on her face.
She hugged us and said, 'I hope you enjoy this trail, said Kuppler. "Then she hugged her friend. After that, she took a couple steps back and was standing looking at us, and she fell straight back hitting her head again."
Kuppler tried to help the hikers, but they refused.
Her friend was just saying that everything was fine and to leave them alone," said Kuppler.
Concerned for their safety, Kuppler called 911.
The last words I exchanged with her were, good luck, I hope everything is OK," said Kuppler.
The next morning, a search and rescue crew found 25-year-old Alisonstar Molaf of New Jersey dead near the Wallace River.
The Snohomish County Sheriff's Office said both women were "under the influence of mushrooms."
It really sits heavy with me knowing I was the last one to see her alive, and it just happened so quickly," said Kuppler.
The trail to Wallace Falls can be dangerous because there are cliffs along the way.
It isn't hard for people to get in trouble when they're sober. Experts said the odds of something bad happening increase exponentially under the influence of psychedelics.
In a dangerous environment, I think accidents are prone to happen," said University of Washington researcher Dr. Nathan Sackett.
Sackett believes psilocybin, the active ingredient in hallucinogenic mushrooms, is quite safe on its own.
Psychedelic mushrooms are growing in popularity with their decriminalization in Oregon, the trend of "microdosing" small amounts to increase creativity, and their promising use as a therapeutic for everything from depression to addiction.
However, mushrooms can also make people hallucinate, act impulsively and not think of any potential consequences for their actions.
This is a big concern of mine," explained Sackett. As psychedelics become culturally more normative, it's really important that people know they should do them in a controlled environment. Hopefully, one day, people won't have to hide in the woods to experience them."
The official cause of Molaf's death has not been determined by the Snohomish County Medical Examiner. Sheriff's department investigators announced her death does appear to be accidental.
For people intent on experimenting with mushrooms, or any psychedelic, Sackett advised people to be in a safe place with people they trust and to have a sober person on hand if things take a dangerous turn.
It really is frustrating, and it's hard to deal with because I wish I could've done more," said Kuppler. "I think we did the right thing, though, by calling someone who could help. You just don't know what's gonna happen."
- How an NHL Enforcer Broke His Body and Turned to Psychedelics to Heal His Brain - Rolling Stone - June 22nd, 2022
- The top psychedelic drug developers leading the market - Labiotech.eu - June 22nd, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2022
- Two psychedelic-related initiatives may be on the 2022 Colorado ballot - Denver 7 Colorado News - June 22nd, 2022
- Cybin Inc. Reports Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - Business Wire - June 22nd, 2022
- SPOTLIGHT IN FOCUS - The Rise of Psychedelic Therapy - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 22nd, 2022
- Rapper Vic Mensa has a more badass fitness routine than you thanks to martial arts, psychedelics and meditation - British GQ - June 22nd, 2022
- What is Ego Death And How Does it Work? - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 22nd, 2022
- Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Trials of Psychedelics in Headache Disorders: Bryan Roth, MD, PhD - Neurology Live - June 11th, 2022
- Stephen Asma: My father's experience with morphine in hospice showed me the healing joy of altered states - Chicago Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 30 - The Dales Report - June 5th, 2022
- Psychedelic Wellness: 5 Magical Benefits of Magic Mushrooms - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - June 5th, 2022
- 'Magic mushrooms drug could help depression sufferers in the years to come' - Irish Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Tripping over the potential of psychedelics for autism | Spectrum - Spectrum - June 3rd, 2022
- Can you take the trip out of psychedelics and still treat depression? - New Scientist - June 3rd, 2022
- We spark curiosity: how the psychedelics industry is taking on Davos - The Guardian - June 3rd, 2022
- Cybin Announces Publication in Frontiers in Psychology Journal Introducing EMBARK, an Integrative Model of Psychedelic Therapy - Business Wire - June 3rd, 2022
- Ketamine can treat depression but teletherapy could make it accessible - Inverse - June 3rd, 2022
- 2022-06-01 | PINL:EHVVF | Press Release | ehave Inc - Stockhouse - June 3rd, 2022
- VIDEO: The Weekly Weed Report (05-31-22) - Investing Daily - Investing Daily - June 3rd, 2022
- Psychedelics Companies in Oregon Will Have to Grapple With 280E - Business Insider - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 16 - The Dales Report - May 21st, 2022
- Psychedelics and Mindfulness: The Future of Mental Health? | Microdose - Microdose Psychedelic Insights - May 21st, 2022
- CATALYST Summit: 3 Psychedelic Speakers to Catch This Weekend - Psychedelic Spotlight - May 21st, 2022
- 'I took ketamine to treat my severe depression' - iNews - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 9 - The Dales Report - May 15th, 2022
- Psychedelic Patents are Broken Because the Patent System Is Broken - VICE - May 15th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are on WeHos mind - WEHOville - May 15th, 2022
- Behind the Scenes on the First Study To Compare the Effects of LSD and Psilocybin - Technology Networks - May 15th, 2022
- Revitalist's Strategic Initiatives Continue to Exceed Expectations for Execution Giving Company Record High Revenues Since Opening in 2018. - Business... - May 15th, 2022
- MDMA as medicine: Stemming the tide of veteran suicides in Western North Carolina - Smoky Mountain News - May 15th, 2022
- Cybin's CYB0004 Shows Positive Preclinical Results Over ... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Mainstream Healthcare VCs Dipping Their Toes Into Psychedelics - Business Insider - May 3rd, 2022
- LSD Is Back On Campus, But This Time It's Approved - Green Market Report - May 3rd, 2022
- Mixing mushrooms and alcohol: What you need to know - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Mycotopia Therapies Partners with Public Policy Specialist PsychedelicsEUROPE to Explore Opportunities in the European Market - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2022
- Pharmadrug Advances Opthalmology Program with Final Selection of Lead DMT-Analogue to Provide Sustained Control of Elevated Intraocular Pressure for... - May 3rd, 2022
- Bicycle Day: Honoring The Onset Of The Psychedelic Revolution As It Zooms Across The Globe - Forbes - April 15th, 2022
- Psilocybin Rewires the Brain for People with Depression - University of California, San Francisco - April 15th, 2022
- Field Trip Health Houston's psychedelic healing with ketamine helps patient with depressive anxiety - Houston Chronicle - April 15th, 2022
- Mental Health Week: Magnetic Stimulation, Psychedelics and Tai Chi How Treatments For Anxiety And Depression Are Growing - KPCC - April 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics Want To Win Over The Sleep Aid Market - Green Market Report - April 15th, 2022
- Terran Biosciences and Blumentech SL announce the acquisition of a patent portfolio covering the groundbreaking discoveries of prominent psychedelics... - April 15th, 2022
- Delic Labs Receives Health Canada 56 Exemption to Conduct Research on MDMA, LSD and Other Psychedelic Compounds - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2022
- Experts discuss the intersections of cannabis, health and food - CSU Pueblo Today - April 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics - PMC - April 11th, 2022
- Psychedelics - PubMed - April 11th, 2022
- Peace with psychedelics: Palestinians, Israelis took ayahuasca - Big Think - April 11th, 2022
- Study maps psychedelic-induced changes in consciousness to specific regions of the brain - PsyPost - April 11th, 2022
- The Next Big Addiction Treatment - The New York Times - April 11th, 2022
- SABI Mind and Reverie Psychedelics Partner To Expand Research Into Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies - Benzi - Benzinga - April 11th, 2022
- Jaden Smith on His Trippy Summer '22 Collection and the Power of Mushrooms - Complex - April 11th, 2022
- Biomind Labs to Present at Benzinga Psychedelics Capital Conference in the U.S. on April 19th 2022 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2022
- Psychedelics' Interaction With Psych Meds: More Q's Than A's - Medscape - March 31st, 2022
- The Insights Psychedelics Give You Arent Always True - March 18th, 2022
- Stage Set for Psychedelics Stock Boom: Here's Where ... - March 18th, 2022
- SXSW stage is a collision of weed, metaverse, NFTs, acid and saving the planet - PitchBook News & Analysis - March 18th, 2022
- Jaden Smith Recalls His Experience With Psychedelic Mushrooms: Everything Just Becomes So Beautiful - Koimoi - March 18th, 2022
- Michigan Activists Submit Psychedelics Decriminalization ... - March 17th, 2022
- Psychedelics and the Future of Psychiatry - March 17th, 2022
- Mind Cure Gives Up On Psychedelics, Fires C-Suite, And Reverts To Shell After Strategic Review - The Deep Dive - March 17th, 2022
- A Fully-Seated Audience Takes Post-Punk with the Psychedelic Furs - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - March 17th, 2022
- 5 people who used psychedelics to treat PTSD describe their trips - Business Insider - March 15th, 2022
- What is Microdosing, and Does it Work? - The New York Times - March 15th, 2022
- Bolt's Breslow Teams With Psychedelics Founder on Crypto Pharma Startup - The Information - March 15th, 2022
- Enveric, University of Calgary to study psychedelic therapy - OutSourcing-Pharma.com - March 15th, 2022
- Psychedelic therapy integral to ancient societies may be coming to Pennsylvania - 90.5 WESA - March 15th, 2022
- The Bluntness Debuts The BLUNTNESS/100 Its Inaugural List of the 100 Most Influential People in Cannabis & Psychedelics - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 15th, 2022
- Former NFL Player Eben Britton On His New Book, And The Tools He Used To Rebuild His Life (Including Psychedelics) - The Dales Report - March 15th, 2022
- Made by Marlo: Max Ingersoll and the Meaning of Meditation - Harvard Independent - March 15th, 2022
- What are Psychedelics? - March 8th, 2022
- Get the Legal Psychedelics for Sale in the USA ... - March 8th, 2022
- Fireside Project manifests a $200K fund to improve access to careers in psychedelic health - TechCrunch - March 8th, 2022
- Oklahoma bill to study mental health effects of 'shrooms' advances - Oklahoman.com - March 8th, 2022
- Terran Biosciences and University of Maryland, Baltimore announce exclusive licensing deal for a portfolio of patents and data supporting novel... - March 8th, 2022
- Cybin Teams With Chopra Foundation To Foster Psychedelics Awareness - Benzinga - Benzinga - March 8th, 2022
- How My Drinking Was Used to Deny Me Treatment for Depression - Filter - March 8th, 2022
- Seelos Therapeutics: Year-End Results and Business Highlights Microdose - Microdose Psychedelic Insights - March 8th, 2022
- No worries: Severe anxiety disorders to get the Incannex, Monash Uni treatment via psychedelics within vir ... - Stockhead - March 8th, 2022
- Meet the 16 Most Influential Women Shaping the Future of Psychedelics - Business Insider - February 15th, 2022