Since ancient times, practitioners of traditional medicine across the globe have turned to plants and fungi with psychedelic properties in the hopes of healing the mind and spirit. New research suggests a link between psychedelics and a healthy body, as well.
The study finds a strong association between lifetime use of classic psychedelics and lower rates of cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
This observational research does not explore or assert a causal relationship between the compounds and heart health or diabetes. It establishes only a correlation.
No one should read this paper and think that using psychedelics is a good way to prevent heart disease or diabetes, Dr. Edo Paz of K Health told Medical News Today in an email. Dr. Paz was not involved in the research.
The studys lead author, Dr. Otto Simonsson, explained to MNT, We still know very little about the long-term effects of classic psychedelics on physical health. We are in the early days.
The study paper has been published in Scientific Reports.
The psychedelics considered classic fall into three classes, each with similar structures and mechanisms of action. All, however, primarily act as serotonin 2A receptor agonists.
The three classes of drugs are:
Given the medicinal use of psychedelics throughout human history, scientists in the mid-20th century began testing their potential value in treating mood disorders and addiction, often with encouraging results.
However, the criminalization of many of these compounds by the 1970s led to a reduction in psychedelics research.
The 21st century has seen renewed psychedelic advocacy, new funding, and the fading of stigma associated with these substances, and scientists have returned to studying them. In 2000, Johns Hopkins University was the first to receive regulatory approval for psychedelic research, which included healthy volunteers.
The present study was based on data from the 20152018 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, which included responses from 171,766 adults in the United States aged at least 18.
Use of psychedelics was associated with a 23% lower chance of heart disease and a 12% lower chance of diabetes.
The authors explain:
Respondents who reported having tried a classic psychedelic at least once in their lifetime had lower odds of heart disease in the past year and lower odds of diabetes in the past year.
The research follows an earlier analysis of the same data by Dr. Simonsson and senior investigator Prof. Peter S. Hendricks. Dr. Simonsson explained that it found associations between lifetime classic psychedelic use and lower odds of being overweight, as well as lower odds of having hypertension in the past year.
Of the new studys closer look, he said, It was therefore not completely surprising to find that lifetime classic psychedelic use was also associated with lower odds of heart disease and diabetes in the past year.
Addressing the connection between psychedelics, heart disease, and diabetes, Dr. Simonsson cited another study.There is an in-depth review paper suggesting that psychedelics if administered in the proper context may be conducive to good physical health by promoting positive lifestyle change. This is our working hypothesis, too.
Dr. Paz told MNT that he suspected that People who have tried psychedelic medications probably have other characteristics that differentiate them from people who have not tried psychedelics, and it is those characteristics that are associated with a lower risk of heart disease or diabetes.
So if you want to reduce your risk of heart disease and diabetes, explained Dr. Paz, do not reach for psychedelics. Focus on a healthy diet, get plenty of exercise, and maintain a healthy weight. You should also know your blood pressure and your cholesterol levels, and work to keep those in a healthy range.
Whatever the causal link, if any, the study authors write that their investigation demonstrates the need for further research to investigate potential causal pathways of classic psychedelics on cardiometabolic health (i.e., lifestyle changes, mental health benefits, anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory characteristics, and affinity to specific serotonin receptor subtypes).
Originally posted here:
- Study Finds 65% Of Americans With Mental Health Conditions Want Access To Psychedelics - Forbes - January 24th, 2022
- What are the potential risks of microdosing psychedelics? - Leafly - January 24th, 2022
- Trade To Black Podcast 20: Is the Selling In MSOS And Psychedelics Getting Overdone? A Frank Discussion - The Dales Report - January 24th, 2022
- Icebreakers with...MindMed CEO Rob Barrow - Morning Brew - January 24th, 2022
- Research in 60 Seconds: How Taking Psychedelics Can Be Therapeutic - UCF - January 24th, 2022
- TDRs Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of January 17 - The Dales Report - January 24th, 2022
- The Psychedelics Series: The history and future of ketamine - The Cannabis Exchange - January 24th, 2022
- How 2021 became the year of psychedelics - and why 2022 is set to be even bigger - The Cannabis Exchange - January 24th, 2022
- Why Is Everyone Smoking Toad Venom? - What To Know About the Hallucinogenic Toad, DMT, Bufo - TownandCountrymag.com - January 24th, 2022
- Breaking Down Numinus Wellness Quarterly Results - The Dales Report - January 24th, 2022
- Ancient Latin American Empire Could Have Thrived Thanks to Psychedelic-Infused Beer - StreetInsider.com - January 24th, 2022
- Psychedelics can change humanity for the better. Its time ... - January 9th, 2022
- 'Microdosers' of LSD and magic mushrooms are wiser... - Daily Maverick - January 9th, 2022
- Core One Labs Now Also Working to Biosynthesize DMT and Receives License - Financial Post - January 9th, 2022
- NeonMind to Present at H.C. Wainwright Bioconnect Conference - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2022
- Magic mushroom companies are on the Nasdaq now. Thats a recipe for a bad trip - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Psilocybin therapy options could expand in Hawaii | Hawai'i Public Radio - Hawaiipublicradio - January 7th, 2022
- From psychedelics to 'The Great Resignation' - wellness trends for 2022 - CapeTown ETC - January 7th, 2022
- Ketamine, Psilocybin and the Rise of Missouri Psychedelics - Riverfront Times - December 25th, 2021
- Animals That Eat Psychedelics And Enjoy The Trip - Benzinga - Benzinga - December 25th, 2021
- Bad Hug - The Cut - December 25th, 2021
- How Seeing God Might Be The Secret To The Most Cutting-Edge Mental Health Treatments - Forbes - December 25th, 2021
- Happy Holidays From The Dales Report Team - The Dales Report - December 25th, 2021
- GOP Lawmakers File Bills To Streamline Research Into Marijuana, Psychedelics And Other Schedule I Drugs - Marijuana Moment - December 22nd, 2021
- Meet Zappy Zapolin, The Psychedelic Concierge Who Turned Lamar Odom On To Ketamine - Forbes - December 22nd, 2021
- Numinus Wellness inc: Leading in the psychedelics race - Proactive Investors UK - December 22nd, 2021
- When Aldous Huxley Opened the Doors of Perception - The MIT Press Reader - December 22nd, 2021
- Kratom Attracts Investor Attention After Regulatory Win - Bloomberg - December 22nd, 2021
- Two esteemed doctors join CB Therapeutics in its exploration of innovative approaches to the production of novel psychedelics and cannabinoids so... - December 22nd, 2021
- Revenge travel and psychedelic retreats: The travel trends taking flight in 2022 - AsiaOne - December 22nd, 2021
- Cybin Awarded Notice of Allowance from US Patent and Trademark Office for CYB004 (Deuterated Psychedelic Tryptamine) for the Treatment of Anxiety... - December 15th, 2021
- TGA blocks bid to have MDMA, magic mushrooms used to treat mental health conditions - ABC News - December 15th, 2021
- PharmaTher Announces Positive Research Results for LSD Microneedle Patch - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2021
- MDMA could soon be used to treat PTSD according to physicians - Mixmag - December 15th, 2021
- MindMed Appoints Robert Barrow as Chief Executive Officer and Director - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2021
- MAPS and Wesana Health Resume Negotiations - GlobeNewswire - December 15th, 2021
- Sex, psychedelics and murderous impulses: Do we know too much about Will Smith? - The Independent - November 7th, 2021
- PharmaDrug commissions TIBI for advancing psychedelics program with analogue DMT formulation to cure eye diseases - Proactive Investors USA - November 7th, 2021
- I Have $1,000. Should I Invest In Cannabis, Crypto Or Psychedelics? - Benzinga - Benzinga - November 7th, 2021
- Psychedelics Could Be New Frontier in End-of-Life Care - Hospice News - November 5th, 2021
- Detroit just decriminalized psychedelics and magic mushrooms. Heres what that means - PBS NewsHour - November 5th, 2021
- The people turning to psychedelics on their deathbeds - The Independent - November 5th, 2021
- Psychedelic Therapy Is Hyped, But Its Not Risk-Free: How Therapy Abuse Can Retraumatize Clients - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- Defeating Gambling Addiction: New Study Looks To Defy The Odds With Psychedelics - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Unicorn's Stock Is Up 50% In One MonthBeating Bitcoin, Ethereum And Dogecoin - Benzing - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Stock Was Up More Than 20% Last Week, Outperforming Tesla, Nvidia and GameStop - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- Biglaw Associate Is Advocating For Therapeutic Use Of Psychedelics And The Firm Is Backing Him Up - Above the Law - November 5th, 2021
- Easthampton is the fourth city in Mass. to vote to decriminalize psychedelics - WBUR - October 24th, 2021
- There Could Be a Curious Link Between Psychedelics And Improved Heart Health - ScienceAlert - October 24th, 2021
- How Atai Is Transforming The Landscape Of Mental Health Using Psychedelics (Part 2) - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- A recent history of therapeutic psychedelics - Toronto Life - October 24th, 2021
- New Research Hints at a Link Between Psychedelics and Improved Heart Health - The Swaddle - October 24th, 2021
- Why Ketamine-Assisted Therapy Has Gone Mainstream - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- Ketamine and psilocybin, better known as party drugs, showing promise for treatment of mood disorders - CTV News - October 24th, 2021
- Recent progress in psychedelic therapies - Lexology - October 24th, 2021
- Miracles and medication: The new science of psychedelic drugs - Stuff.co.nz - October 24th, 2021
- UAB researcher granted federal funding for psilocybin and smoking study - The Mix - October 24th, 2021
- Yale researchers using psychedelics to find new treatments for depression - WTNH.com - September 17th, 2021
- Want Quick Exposure To The Psychedelics Sector? Check Out This New Active ETF - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- 5 things to know about the Ann Arbor psychedelic shroom fest - MLive.com - September 17th, 2021
- A Look At Psychedelics Stock PharmaTher And Its Recent Bull Run - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- Differentiated Approach in Psychedelics Boosts Confidence in Upcoming Clinical Trials for Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) -... - September 17th, 2021
- Psychedelics research and public education elevated by multiple gifts - UC Berkeley - September 16th, 2021
- Pain Awareness Month: Psychable Educates Patients on Transformative Power of Using Psychedelics as Medicine for Pain Treatment, Management and Healing... - September 16th, 2021
- $80 Million Granted to Research Psychedelic Properties of Ingesting Toad Venom - Newsweek - September 16th, 2021
- Psychedelic Use on the Rise As Gen Z Seeks To Enhance Connectedness - VICE UK - September 16th, 2021
- Phyto Partners Cannabis VC on Why He's Investing in Psychedelics - Business Insider - September 16th, 2021
- Detroit Voters Will Decide On Psychedelics Decriminalization Ballot Measure In November - Marijuana Moment - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle bid to decriminalize psychedelics could have profound effect on treating addiction - MyNorthwest.com - September 16th, 2021
- Post-9/11 vets go to Mexico to treat trauma with psychedelic - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 16th, 2021
- Lobe Sciences to Participate at the Advances in Me... | INN - Investing News Network - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle is now in the process of legalizing psychedelics, heres what to know - Curiocity - September 16th, 2021
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Suicide Remains a Leading Global Cause of Death; Communities Across the World Seek Expanded Use of Psychedelics as... - September 16th, 2021
- Psilocybin Transdermal Patches Could Be The Next Big Thing In Psychedelics - Forbes - September 1st, 2021
- Psychedelics are getting closer to approval, but the market may not be ready - FierceBiotech - August 22nd, 2021
- At-Home Genetic Testing Cant Tell You If Youre Going to Have a Bad Trip - VICE - August 22nd, 2021
- Past, Present & Future of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy: A New Dawn for Mental Health and Neuroscience - cmc.edu - August 22nd, 2021
- Researchers breaking away from the central dogma of depression - STAT - STAT - August 22nd, 2021
- When did humans start experimenting with alcohol and drugs? - EL PAS in English - August 22nd, 2021
- Origin Therapeutics Will Invest $5.1M In Psychedelics Startups - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021