Psychedelics are experiencing a meteoric rise in public awareness. In the midst of a mental health crisis, researchers around the world have intensified their study of psilocybin, MDMA and other psychedelics along with their ability to relieve problems such as anxiety and depression.
With growing public acceptance comes a desire for those without mental health diagnoses to improve general wellness at psilocybin retreats around the world and soon in the USA. The cost of psychedelic therapy leaves many concerned about equitable access but retreats present an opportunity for the psilocybin curious to have transformative experiences in groups.
The results are undeniable. Psychedelic therapy is one of the most promising areas of research in the world right now for mental health. And while science has a long way to go before understanding exactly what psychedelics can and cannot do, early results largely discredit the anti-drug campaigns of our childhoods.
Psilocybin and Ayahausca Retreats are Legal Around the World
For years plant medicines like psilocybin, ayahuasca, san pedro, and ibogaine have been operating legally in countries like Mexico, Peru, Costa Rica and Jamacia. A wide range, from high-end luxury retreats in Costa Rica to bare-bones ayahuasca centers in the Amazon, have been attracting wellness seekers to war veterans looking for cures to PTSD.
In South and Central America, plant medicine retreats have become a tourist industry unto themselves, with now hundreds of centers in existence. Despite psychedelics being a largely underground phenomenon for decades, the demand for safe and transformative experiences has been growing steadily.
Now, with society in the midst of a psychedelic renaissance, we can expect to see retreat centers opening closer to home as psilocybin leads the way to access in Western countries.
Psilocybin Retreats in the USA
The positive press has led the Biden administration to announce that psychedelic therapies like MDMA and psilocybin will be available by 2024. However, some states are already in motion, with new jurisdictions decriminalizing psychedelics each month, with Oregon leading the way with decriminalized drugs and legal psilocybin.
Official laws will be established in 2023 in Oregon, which create licenses to grow magic mushrooms, required training for therapists, and psychedelic retreats. Following suit is Colorado, which is drafting up plans for psychedelic retreats after Denver decriminalized psilocybin and voting for state-wide policy changes is up for a vote.
The centers will allow groups to be facilitated by trained professionals, and it will not be necessary to have a medical diagnosis to access psychedelic mushrooms. Current research around psychedelics is centred around those who need it most. Yet, the desire for a meaningful life will no doubt attract many tourists and wellness enthusiasts to emerging psilocybin retreat centers.
Psilocybin Retreats Will Expand Access
With psychedelic therapy expensive and directed at more serious mental health concerns, retreat centers could offer group rates allowing for more inclusive access to psychedelics. Group work, peer support, and community have all been connected to effective outcomes of psychedelics like psilocybin, positioning retreats to be staples of the emerging psychedelic market.
While optimism is warranted, psychedelics are only to be used in specific set and setting, often with trained professionals. Decriminalized or legal use of psychedelics is not yet common in most parts of the world. If you are curious about psychedelics, be sure to get expert opinions from mental health professionals or at safe and reputable retreat centers.
Jerry Doby Editor-in-Chief of The Hype Magazine and internationally published arts & entertainment journalist. Connect with Jerry on Twitter and Instagram at @jerrydoby_ Member of the U.S. Department of Arts and Culture and the United States Press Corps. Partner at THM Media Group, Inc.
- Psychedelic Drug Effects, Side Effects & Dangers - January 25th, 2023
- Psychedelics Decriminalization Project In Berkeley, Cal Includes ... - January 6th, 2023
- Ancient mummified child was drugged with psychedelics before ritual ... - December 14th, 2022
- The therapeutic potential of psychedelics - Science - December 14th, 2022
- Changing Lives with Psychedelics: How Connecticut researchers are using magic mushrooms to help people overcome depression, OCD - WTNH.com - November 19th, 2022
- Penis Envy Mushroom | Legal Psychedelics | Magic Mushroom - November 7th, 2022
- Psychedelics. Discussing natural and synthetic friends. Science, News ... - November 5th, 2022
- The Harms of Psychedelics Need to Be Put Into Context - WIRED - November 5th, 2022
- Packers' Aaron Rodgers says psychedelics led to his back-to-back MVP ... - October 28th, 2022
- With Promise of Legalization, Psychedelic Companies Joust Over Future Profits - The New York Times - October 25th, 2022
- How do psychedelics work? This brain region may explain their effects - PBS - October 21st, 2022
- Why is the American right suddenly so interested in psychedelic drugs? - The Guardian - October 19th, 2022
- Can Psychedelics Cure? Science Is on the Verge of Finding Out - Newsweek - October 19th, 2022
- Large national survey suggests that the use of psychedelics is not associated with lifetime cancer development - PsyPost - October 19th, 2022
- This Pharma Company Just Scored Another Psychedelics Patent And Set Its Sights On 70 More - Small Pharma - Benzinga - October 19th, 2022
- What Made the Mushrooms Magic: Psychedelic Study Explores the Odd Evolution of Mind-Altering Fungi - The Debrief - October 19th, 2022
- Psychedelics And Wellness: The Healing Company Buys PepsiCo-Backed Superfoods Company - (HLCO) - Benzinga - October 19th, 2022
- What's on the Colorado ballot? Housing, psychedelics, school meals, alcohol, taxes and more | FOX31 Denver - FOX 31 Denver - October 19th, 2022
- DoseConnect to Sponsor the Tech Stage at Wonderland Miami by Microdose - Benzinga - October 19th, 2022
- What Is Going on With Bright Minds (DRUG) Stock Today? - InvestorPlace - October 19th, 2022
- Psychedelics May Ease Fear of Death and Dying - October 17th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of October 10 - The Dales Report - October 17th, 2022
- DEA Wants To Boost Production Of Cannabis & Psychedelics For Research In 2023 - Benzinga - October 17th, 2022
- Talk set to explore psychedelics and mental health - Reading Today - October 17th, 2022
- Silo Wellness Closes Acquisition of Dyscovry Science and Its Psilocybin Pharmaceutical Biosynthesis and Research Portfolio - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2022
- How does psilocybin rewire the brain? - Open Access Government - October 17th, 2022
- HYTN Awarded Controlled Drugs and Substances Dealers License Allowing for Production and Sale of Psilocybin - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2022
- The Healing Company acquires leading superfoods business, Your Super, and lands $150M credit facility to expand community of brands - Yahoo Finance - October 17th, 2022
- 5 Things to Know About Colorados Psychedelics Ballot Initiative - Kaiser Health News - October 15th, 2022
- 10 must-read weed and psychedelics books from the last decade - Leafly - October 15th, 2022
- Treating Postpartum Depression with Psychedelics - Psychedelic Spotlight - October 15th, 2022
- Clerkenwell Health raises 2.1M to test the new wave of psychedelics treatments - TechCrunch - October 15th, 2022
- Toronto Psychedelic Exhibition features the Art and History of Psychedelics - Psychedelic Spotlight - October 15th, 2022
- Elon Musk's 'Exploratory Journeys' And Charts Explaining Benefits Of Psychedelics Over Alcohol - Tesla (N - Benzinga - October 15th, 2022
- ALTRD.TV's Open Minds Documentary Explores the Promising Future of Psychedelic Medicine - Business Wire - October 15th, 2022
- IntelGenxs Collaboration with atai Life Sciences Culminates in the Initiation of First-in-Human Clinical Study of an Oral Thin Film Psychedelic Drug... - October 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics Companies And IPs: An Extended Patent Application To Protect Multiple LSD Derivatives - Bett - Benzinga - September 29th, 2022
- Congressman Says Psychedelics Show 'Real Promise' As Alternative Therapies At Committee Hearing - Marijuana Moment - September 29th, 2022
- Psychedelics and mental health: the potential, risks and hype - WHYY - September 27th, 2022
- Is Now a Good Time to Invest In Psychedelics Stocks? - The Motley Fool - September 27th, 2022
- I went to the only psychedelic dispensary in North Americaheres how they do it - The Manual - September 27th, 2022
- Psychedelic drugs: how to tell good research from bad - The Conversation Indonesia - September 27th, 2022
- The Connection Between Psychedelics and Grief - Psychedelic Spotlight - September 27th, 2022
- Effects of LSD and Psilocybin in Healthy Participants - Psychiatric Times - September 27th, 2022
- Cannabis And Psilocybin May Have Helped This Woman's Breast Cancer Treatment - IFLScience - September 27th, 2022
- Ketamine, psilocybin and ecstasy are coming to the medicine cabinet - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2022
- American Legion and Reality Center Partner to Provide Patented, Drug-Free Psychedelic Experience to Veter - Benzinga - September 27th, 2022
- Let's Bring the Informed Consent Process Out of the Shadows - Undark Magazine - September 27th, 2022
- Nicole Krauss on Death, Birth, and Middle Age - The New Yorker - September 27th, 2022
- Daily Skimm: Psychedelics, The DOJ, and iMessages - theSkimm - September 15th, 2022
- Inside the UK's new psychedelic drug trial clinic trying to treat depression and anxiety - iNews - September 15th, 2022
- What A Trip: Delix Therapeutics is Treating Mental Health at Scale with Psychoplastogens - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 15th, 2022
- HealingMaps Announces $1 Million in Seed Funding to Power Growth in Psychedelic Therapy Industry - Yahoo Finance - September 15th, 2022
- Nav Talks The Moment He Realized He Made It; It Involves Psychedelics - UPROXX - September 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics and Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy - September 7th, 2022
- Preparing for a new era of psychedelic treatment - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - September 7th, 2022
- Toronto is getting a trippy psychedelics immersive exhibition this month - Curiocity - September 7th, 2022
- Xtalks to host upcoming webinar on psychedelic know-how - Mugglehead - September 7th, 2022
- An immersive psychedelic exhibition is opening in Toronto this month | Listed - Daily Hive - September 7th, 2022
- Netflixs How to Change Your Mind Says Drugs Are the Answer Are They Right? - Goalcast - September 7th, 2022
- Yeah, Mental Health, Bro, It Starts With Self-Love | Aaron Rodgers Says His Use Of Psychedelics Has Increased His Passion For Life And The Game Of... - September 7th, 2022
- Delic Executive Chairman Matt Stang Named to World Biz Magazine's Top 100 CEOs in Innovation - Yahoo Finance - September 7th, 2022
- Cannabis and Hallucinogens Are Being Consumed at the Highest Rates on Record by Today's Young Adults - Cannabis Science and Technology - September 7th, 2022
- Aspen considers the value of psychedelics for mental wellness - The Aspen Times - August 29th, 2022
- Oregon's Psychedelics Law Comes Down To Individuals: Which Counties Will Ban Them? - Benzinga - August 29th, 2022
- The Black mothers finding freedom in mushrooms: They give us our power back - The Guardian - August 29th, 2022
- Psychedelic Water CEO Pankaj Gogia Talks About The Future Of Psychedelics - Exclusive - Health Digest - August 2nd, 2022
- Biden Administration Says Task Force Is Needed to Advance Psychedelics Research - Green Entrepreneur - August 2nd, 2022
- Legalizing the trip: One 'shroom advocate's playbook - POLITICO - August 2nd, 2022
- 'The result was a rebirth. I finally got where I wanted to go': Celebs who have tried psychedelics - The Daily Post-Athenian - August 2nd, 2022
- Texas' first Ceremonial Psychedelic Treatment Center WITHIN opens in Austin - PR Web - August 2nd, 2022
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Psychedelics, Neurodevelopment and Electrophysiology job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY | 303322 - Times Higher Education - August 2nd, 2022
- Unlimited Sciences Announces Groundbreaking New Study to Observe Ayahuasca's Effects on Trauma - Business Wire - August 2nd, 2022
- Good Trip? How Psychiatrists Got Serious About Using Psychedelics to Treat Mental Health - Robb Report - July 25th, 2022
- The hope and hype of psychedelic therapy - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Microdosing Psilocybin Mushrooms May Improve Mental Health and Mood - Healthline - July 25th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of July 18 - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Psyched Up: The race to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Keeping the Hippie Dream Alive - The New York Times - July 25th, 2022
- DEA Sued Over Delays To Open Records For Psychedelics And Cannabis - Benzinga - Benzinga - July 25th, 2022