Consuming magic mushrooms (shrooms) and alcohol together can have unpredictable results. For this reason, doctors recommend against combining alcohol and recreational drugs such as shrooms.
Alcohol and shrooms interact because they can affect the brain in some of the same ways. Combining substances that act similarly intensifies the drugs effects, side effects, and potential risks.
Some people may notice that mixing alcohol and mushrooms can lessen the effect of each drug. However, it may also make it more difficult to think clearly.
Keep reading to learn more about the effects of mixing mushrooms and alcohol.
Shrooms are mushrooms that contain psilocybin, a natural hallucinogenic and psychoactive compound. They can cause hallucinations and an inability to tell the difference between fantasy and reality.
Although people usually use shrooms recreationally, they can have adverse effects. People may experience:
Alcohol affects the brain similarly to shrooms. Drinking too much alcohol can change a persons mood and behavior, and it can cause people to have trouble with memory and motor control.
Although doctors generally advise against combining substances, there is limited research showing the effects of shrooms and alcohol. This means most of the effects of mixing them come from peoples reported use.
Combining alcohol and shrooms can cause unpredictable results, but experts consider it a high-risk combination. It can cause headaches, panic attacks, and nausea. Drinking alcohol while taking shrooms can also increase a persons risk of a bad trip, which can include hallucinations and frightening emotions.
Some people report drinking alcohol to lower the effect of shrooms and feel less high. While they may decrease the effects of alcohol, there is limited research supporting this, and the effects can be unpredictable.
It is also unclear how much alcohol is safe in combination with shrooms. Overall, doctors do not recommend consuming alcohol while using other drugs.
Experts also advise avoiding polysubstance use, which means using more than one drug together or within a short time.
Interestingly, researchers suggest that psilocybin, the active drug in shrooms, may help people with alcohol addiction. An ongoing study is currently exploring, in a controlled setting, whether psilocybin can lower the number of heavy drinking days among people living with alcohol addiction.
The psilocybin in mushrooms may have mind-altering effects, and reality can appear distorted. Other effects of mushrooms include:
Psilocybin causes hallucinations because it acts on serotonin receptors in the brain and other parts of the body. Serotonin and psilocybin can both bind to serotonin receptors, so when psilocybin is in the body, it competes with serotonin to bind to them.
These receptors are responsible for controlling our emotions and moods. They also control behavior, learning memory, appetite, and other processes.
Other psychedelics include lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), mescaline, and dimethyltryptamine (DMT).
When combining psychedelics such as LSD with alcohol, people may also notice that the effects of alcohol are lower than usual. However, like with shrooms, these results can be unpredictable.
Researchers are also studying the benefits of using psychedelics in people with alcohol use disorder (AUD). Another study showed that using psychedelics might lower a persons alcohol intake.
These study conditions do not reflect real-life use of alcohol and psychedelics. In controlled studies, the risk of unsafe behaviors and side effects from illicit drugs is low.
People should note that the United States classifies shrooms as an illegal drug.
With years of evidence from peoples reported use and modern scientific studies, experts confirm that shrooms have low toxicity. They also have a low risk of addiction.
However, people can overdose on shrooms. The side effects of an overdose can include:
Another consideration is the risk of accidentally taking a poisonous mushroom when using shrooms.
The effects of mixing mushrooms and alcohol are unpredictable and may vary from person to person. The following symptoms of alcohol poisoning require immediate medical attention:
People experiencing a bad trip, or a psychologically challenging drug experience, may want to contact a doctor. A bad trip can feel like a sudden and long-lasting side effect of a drug. This may occur when taking shrooms alone or with alcohol.
During a bad trip, people can put themselves or others at risk of harm. Some may have aggressive or violent behaviors. A person who feels concerned about their well-being and the safety of others when mixing mushrooms and alcohol should seek immediate medical attention.
The effects of mixing shrooms and alcohol are unpredictable. While some people may experience a lower effect of shrooms when mixing them with alcohol, this effect is unproven. Someone can experience a bad trip when mixing drugs.
If a person experiences concerning side effects after consuming shrooms and/or alcohol, they should seek medical attention.
- VA Studying Psychedelics As Mental Health Treatment For Veterans - Forbes - June 29th, 2022
- 10 Psychedelics CEOs To Pay Attention To In 2022 - Yahoo Finance - June 29th, 2022
- Secret ancient Andean passageways may have been used in rituals involving psychedelics - Livescience.com - June 29th, 2022
- How psychedelics act on the brain to relieve depression - Daily Maverick - June 29th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are all the rage. But are they Jewish? - The Guardian - June 29th, 2022
- Treating Stress with Wearable Technology - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - PR Newswire - June 29th, 2022
- This Week in Psychedelic Stocks: Compass Pathways Wins Patent Battle, MindMed Patents Candy Flipping, and More! - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Is there a future for psychedelic treatment in Saudi Arabia? - Arab News - June 29th, 2022
- Optimi Health Initiates Agreement With SABI Mind For Therapeutic Supplies Of Psilocybin, MDMA - Marketscreener.com - June 29th, 2022
- Braxia Scientific CEO to Deliver Keynote Address at HC Wainwright & Co. 1st Annual Mental Health Conference: Neuropsychiatry, Psychedelics, and... - June 29th, 2022
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-Assisted Therapy in Hawaii: A Brief Review - Cureus - June 29th, 2022
- How an NHL Enforcer Broke His Body and Turned to Psychedelics to Heal His Brain - Rolling Stone - June 22nd, 2022
- The top psychedelic drug developers leading the market - Labiotech.eu - June 22nd, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2022
- Two psychedelic-related initiatives may be on the 2022 Colorado ballot - Denver 7 Colorado News - June 22nd, 2022
- Cybin Inc. Reports Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - Business Wire - June 22nd, 2022
- SPOTLIGHT IN FOCUS - The Rise of Psychedelic Therapy - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 22nd, 2022
- Rapper Vic Mensa has a more badass fitness routine than you thanks to martial arts, psychedelics and meditation - British GQ - June 22nd, 2022
- What is Ego Death And How Does it Work? - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 22nd, 2022
- Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Trials of Psychedelics in Headache Disorders: Bryan Roth, MD, PhD - Neurology Live - June 11th, 2022
- Stephen Asma: My father's experience with morphine in hospice showed me the healing joy of altered states - Chicago Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 30 - The Dales Report - June 5th, 2022
- Psychedelic Wellness: 5 Magical Benefits of Magic Mushrooms - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - June 5th, 2022
- 'Magic mushrooms drug could help depression sufferers in the years to come' - Irish Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Tripping over the potential of psychedelics for autism | Spectrum - Spectrum - June 3rd, 2022
- Can you take the trip out of psychedelics and still treat depression? - New Scientist - June 3rd, 2022
- We spark curiosity: how the psychedelics industry is taking on Davos - The Guardian - June 3rd, 2022
- Cybin Announces Publication in Frontiers in Psychology Journal Introducing EMBARK, an Integrative Model of Psychedelic Therapy - Business Wire - June 3rd, 2022
- Ketamine can treat depression but teletherapy could make it accessible - Inverse - June 3rd, 2022
- 2022-06-01 | PINL:EHVVF | Press Release | ehave Inc - Stockhouse - June 3rd, 2022
- VIDEO: The Weekly Weed Report (05-31-22) - Investing Daily - Investing Daily - June 3rd, 2022
- Psychedelics Companies in Oregon Will Have to Grapple With 280E - Business Insider - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 16 - The Dales Report - May 21st, 2022
- Psychedelics and Mindfulness: The Future of Mental Health? | Microdose - Microdose Psychedelic Insights - May 21st, 2022
- CATALYST Summit: 3 Psychedelic Speakers to Catch This Weekend - Psychedelic Spotlight - May 21st, 2022
- 'I took ketamine to treat my severe depression' - iNews - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 9 - The Dales Report - May 15th, 2022
- Psychedelic Patents are Broken Because the Patent System Is Broken - VICE - May 15th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are on WeHos mind - WEHOville - May 15th, 2022
- Behind the Scenes on the First Study To Compare the Effects of LSD and Psilocybin - Technology Networks - May 15th, 2022
- Revitalist's Strategic Initiatives Continue to Exceed Expectations for Execution Giving Company Record High Revenues Since Opening in 2018. - Business... - May 15th, 2022
- MDMA as medicine: Stemming the tide of veteran suicides in Western North Carolina - Smoky Mountain News - May 15th, 2022
- Cybin's CYB0004 Shows Positive Preclinical Results Over ... - May 3rd, 2022
- Psychedelics played role in Wallace Falls hiker's death ... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Mainstream Healthcare VCs Dipping Their Toes Into Psychedelics - Business Insider - May 3rd, 2022
- LSD Is Back On Campus, But This Time It's Approved - Green Market Report - May 3rd, 2022
- Mycotopia Therapies Partners with Public Policy Specialist PsychedelicsEUROPE to Explore Opportunities in the European Market - GlobeNewswire - May 3rd, 2022
- Pharmadrug Advances Opthalmology Program with Final Selection of Lead DMT-Analogue to Provide Sustained Control of Elevated Intraocular Pressure for... - May 3rd, 2022
- Bicycle Day: Honoring The Onset Of The Psychedelic Revolution As It Zooms Across The Globe - Forbes - April 15th, 2022
- Psilocybin Rewires the Brain for People with Depression - University of California, San Francisco - April 15th, 2022
- Field Trip Health Houston's psychedelic healing with ketamine helps patient with depressive anxiety - Houston Chronicle - April 15th, 2022
- Mental Health Week: Magnetic Stimulation, Psychedelics and Tai Chi How Treatments For Anxiety And Depression Are Growing - KPCC - April 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics Want To Win Over The Sleep Aid Market - Green Market Report - April 15th, 2022
- Terran Biosciences and Blumentech SL announce the acquisition of a patent portfolio covering the groundbreaking discoveries of prominent psychedelics... - April 15th, 2022
- Delic Labs Receives Health Canada 56 Exemption to Conduct Research on MDMA, LSD and Other Psychedelic Compounds - Yahoo Finance - April 15th, 2022
- Experts discuss the intersections of cannabis, health and food - CSU Pueblo Today - April 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics - PMC - April 11th, 2022
- Psychedelics - PubMed - April 11th, 2022
- Peace with psychedelics: Palestinians, Israelis took ayahuasca - Big Think - April 11th, 2022
- Study maps psychedelic-induced changes in consciousness to specific regions of the brain - PsyPost - April 11th, 2022
- The Next Big Addiction Treatment - The New York Times - April 11th, 2022
- SABI Mind and Reverie Psychedelics Partner To Expand Research Into Psychedelic-Assisted Therapies - Benzi - Benzinga - April 11th, 2022
- Jaden Smith on His Trippy Summer '22 Collection and the Power of Mushrooms - Complex - April 11th, 2022
- Biomind Labs to Present at Benzinga Psychedelics Capital Conference in the U.S. on April 19th 2022 - Business Wire - March 31st, 2022
- Psychedelics' Interaction With Psych Meds: More Q's Than A's - Medscape - March 31st, 2022
- The Insights Psychedelics Give You Arent Always True - March 18th, 2022
- Stage Set for Psychedelics Stock Boom: Here's Where ... - March 18th, 2022
- SXSW stage is a collision of weed, metaverse, NFTs, acid and saving the planet - PitchBook News & Analysis - March 18th, 2022
- Jaden Smith Recalls His Experience With Psychedelic Mushrooms: Everything Just Becomes So Beautiful - Koimoi - March 18th, 2022
- Michigan Activists Submit Psychedelics Decriminalization ... - March 17th, 2022
- Psychedelics and the Future of Psychiatry - March 17th, 2022
- Mind Cure Gives Up On Psychedelics, Fires C-Suite, And Reverts To Shell After Strategic Review - The Deep Dive - March 17th, 2022
- A Fully-Seated Audience Takes Post-Punk with the Psychedelic Furs - Cornell University The Cornell Daily Sun - March 17th, 2022
- 5 people who used psychedelics to treat PTSD describe their trips - Business Insider - March 15th, 2022
- What is Microdosing, and Does it Work? - The New York Times - March 15th, 2022
- Bolt's Breslow Teams With Psychedelics Founder on Crypto Pharma Startup - The Information - March 15th, 2022
- Enveric, University of Calgary to study psychedelic therapy - OutSourcing-Pharma.com - March 15th, 2022
- Psychedelic therapy integral to ancient societies may be coming to Pennsylvania - 90.5 WESA - March 15th, 2022
- The Bluntness Debuts The BLUNTNESS/100 Its Inaugural List of the 100 Most Influential People in Cannabis & Psychedelics - 69News WFMZ-TV - March 15th, 2022