The views and opinions expressed in this article are those of the author.
As a global society, we are living in reliably unreliable times, bathed in the dubious glow of a bonfire of certainties. Please allow me to add another set of conventions to the pyre: our most maligned and restricted drugs might heal us.
Consumers, the medical community and regulators are beginning to re-examine taboo substances through the fresh light of evidence and experience. Cannabis, nicotine and psychedelics will create a new, transgressive wellness and form part of our collective health and wellbeing in the years to come.
There are many drivers for this. On the consumer side, we have become more nuanced in our use of substances. We are increasingly disenchanted with legacy solutions and - as a result of man-made catastrophes such as the USs opioid crisis - less inclined to blindly outsource our health to the pharmaceutical industry.
The medical and regulatory communities are also skeptical. Clinicians are increasingly aware of the limits of existing official treatment for conditions as diverse as chronic pain (including palliative care), epilepsy, depression, and sleep disorders. There is appetite for change.
Equally, many governments are defining public health more broadly. They are counting the cost of public health issues and the ineffective responses to them. This is opening up dialogue amongst several administrations around exploring the role demonised substances could play.
Cannabis, nicotine, and psilocybin, for example, are all naturally occurring organisms with millennia of holistic human use. Whereas man-made substances such as LSD and MDMA have a technical origin, within pharmaceutical or military research, which tends to confer a kind of native legitimacy.
Of course, none of this is to say that these substances are risk-free or will prove to be beneficial. Depressants, psychedelics and stimulants are compounds with unique properties and evidence. What is clear however is that the reframing from agents of chaos into facilitators of transgressive wellness is underway.
In fact, in the case of cannabis, that rehabilitation is already maturing. The modern consumer is using the drug in different ways and in doing so, dissolving the traditional image of recreational consumption.
According to Euromonitor, this will drive growth in the global legal market from around $30 billion (25.3 billion) in 2020 to more than $90 billion (76 billion) in 2025.
The credibility of cannabis as a medical treatment has grown to a point where large sections of the public increasingly believe in its therapeutic potential. Once this Rubicon is crossed, wider legalisation is sure to follow.
The US Federal Drug Agency (FDA) has designated psilocybin as a breakthrough therapy for major depressive disorder and MDMA for post-traumatic stress disorder, indicating widespread conviction that these therapies will prove superior to existing treatments.
These are powerful substances which leading researchers say "increase entropy in spontaneous neural activity" and can create permanent or semi-permanent changes in mindsets and patterns of thinking.
But there is currently no certainty that they can be effective enough at low doses or safe enough at higher doses to be taken out of the clinical setting.
However, even if psychedelics were to be 'confined' to the treatment room, their wider use looks set to be revolutionary.
Despite being the most widely available of the compounds discussed, its path to rehabilitation is arguably the longest and steepest.
Public misunderstanding of the properties and impact of nicotine consumption is shaped by its predominant delivery system, the combustible cigarette.
But awareness of nicotine as a possible cognitive function enhancer, potentially to treat conditions such as Parkinson's disease, has been present in the background for some time.
More recently, some research suggests there is a putative link between the consumption of nicotine and resistance to transmission of COVID-19. It is also likely to be less addictive when consumed in formats other than the traditional cigarette.
Combined, these point to a scenario of nicotine being delivered as one of a stack of ingredients in say a tablet, shot, or gel to improve immunity, focus, and cognitive function.
Not quite 'Tobacco Saves' perhaps but certainly 'Nicotine Improves'.
Ultimately, the rehabilitation journey of these drugs has a way to go - not all will reach the end.
Yet a combination of public disenchantment, our collective curiosity, and the compulsion of experts and governments to do more good and less harm at lower cost, will ensure one eras transgression, is anothers wellness.
What do you think about the arguments expressed in this opinion piece? Send us your thoughts at email@example.com
- Sex, psychedelics and murderous impulses: Do we know too much about Will Smith? - The Independent - November 7th, 2021
- PharmaDrug commissions TIBI for advancing psychedelics program with analogue DMT formulation to cure eye diseases - Proactive Investors USA - November 7th, 2021
- I Have $1,000. Should I Invest In Cannabis, Crypto Or Psychedelics? - Benzinga - Benzinga - November 7th, 2021
- Psychedelics Could Be New Frontier in End-of-Life Care - Hospice News - November 5th, 2021
- Detroit just decriminalized psychedelics and magic mushrooms. Heres what that means - PBS NewsHour - November 5th, 2021
- Psychedelics linked to lower risk of heart disease and diabetes - Medical News Today - November 5th, 2021
- The people turning to psychedelics on their deathbeds - The Independent - November 5th, 2021
- Psychedelic Therapy Is Hyped, But Its Not Risk-Free: How Therapy Abuse Can Retraumatize Clients - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- Defeating Gambling Addiction: New Study Looks To Defy The Odds With Psychedelics - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Unicorn's Stock Is Up 50% In One MonthBeating Bitcoin, Ethereum And Dogecoin - Benzing - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Stock Was Up More Than 20% Last Week, Outperforming Tesla, Nvidia and GameStop - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- Biglaw Associate Is Advocating For Therapeutic Use Of Psychedelics And The Firm Is Backing Him Up - Above the Law - November 5th, 2021
- Easthampton is the fourth city in Mass. to vote to decriminalize psychedelics - WBUR - October 24th, 2021
- There Could Be a Curious Link Between Psychedelics And Improved Heart Health - ScienceAlert - October 24th, 2021
- How Atai Is Transforming The Landscape Of Mental Health Using Psychedelics (Part 2) - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- A recent history of therapeutic psychedelics - Toronto Life - October 24th, 2021
- New Research Hints at a Link Between Psychedelics and Improved Heart Health - The Swaddle - October 24th, 2021
- Why Ketamine-Assisted Therapy Has Gone Mainstream - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- Ketamine and psilocybin, better known as party drugs, showing promise for treatment of mood disorders - CTV News - October 24th, 2021
- Recent progress in psychedelic therapies - Lexology - October 24th, 2021
- Miracles and medication: The new science of psychedelic drugs - Stuff.co.nz - October 24th, 2021
- UAB researcher granted federal funding for psilocybin and smoking study - The Mix - October 24th, 2021
- Yale researchers using psychedelics to find new treatments for depression - WTNH.com - September 17th, 2021
- Want Quick Exposure To The Psychedelics Sector? Check Out This New Active ETF - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- 5 things to know about the Ann Arbor psychedelic shroom fest - MLive.com - September 17th, 2021
- A Look At Psychedelics Stock PharmaTher And Its Recent Bull Run - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- Differentiated Approach in Psychedelics Boosts Confidence in Upcoming Clinical Trials for Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) -... - September 17th, 2021
- Psychedelics research and public education elevated by multiple gifts - UC Berkeley - September 16th, 2021
- Pain Awareness Month: Psychable Educates Patients on Transformative Power of Using Psychedelics as Medicine for Pain Treatment, Management and Healing... - September 16th, 2021
- $80 Million Granted to Research Psychedelic Properties of Ingesting Toad Venom - Newsweek - September 16th, 2021
- Psychedelic Use on the Rise As Gen Z Seeks To Enhance Connectedness - VICE UK - September 16th, 2021
- Phyto Partners Cannabis VC on Why He's Investing in Psychedelics - Business Insider - September 16th, 2021
- Detroit Voters Will Decide On Psychedelics Decriminalization Ballot Measure In November - Marijuana Moment - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle bid to decriminalize psychedelics could have profound effect on treating addiction - MyNorthwest.com - September 16th, 2021
- Post-9/11 vets go to Mexico to treat trauma with psychedelic - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 16th, 2021
- Lobe Sciences to Participate at the Advances in Me... | INN - Investing News Network - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle is now in the process of legalizing psychedelics, heres what to know - Curiocity - September 16th, 2021
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Suicide Remains a Leading Global Cause of Death; Communities Across the World Seek Expanded Use of Psychedelics as... - September 16th, 2021
- Psilocybin Transdermal Patches Could Be The Next Big Thing In Psychedelics - Forbes - September 1st, 2021
- Psychedelics are getting closer to approval, but the market may not be ready - FierceBiotech - August 22nd, 2021
- At-Home Genetic Testing Cant Tell You If Youre Going to Have a Bad Trip - VICE - August 22nd, 2021
- Past, Present & Future of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy: A New Dawn for Mental Health and Neuroscience - cmc.edu - August 22nd, 2021
- Researchers breaking away from the central dogma of depression - STAT - STAT - August 22nd, 2021
- When did humans start experimenting with alcohol and drugs? - EL PAS in English - August 22nd, 2021
- Origin Therapeutics Will Invest $5.1M In Psychedelics Startups - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- GR is getting close to decriminalizing psychedelic plants and fungi - Fox17 - August 14th, 2021
- PsychedelicNewsBreaks Microdose Psychedelic Insights to Deep Dive into World of Psychedelic Medicine Investment at Upcoming Conference -... - August 14th, 2021
- Bexson Biomedical Launches New Project, Applying Subcutaneous Delivery Technology To Multiple Psychedelic Compounds For Therapeutic Use - PRNewswire - August 14th, 2021
- Neil deGrasse Tyson Talks Psychedelic Mushrooms And The Weird World Of Fungi On His Podcast - IFLScience - August 14th, 2021
- Delic Announces Luke Storey, Transformation Coach and Creator/Host of Thought-Provoking Podcast, The Life Stylist to Speak at Meet Delic: The World's... - August 14th, 2021
- Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) CEO Shares Insights on the Psychedelics Space on The Dealmaker Podcast - StreetInsider.com - August 14th, 2021
- Cybin Inc. Announces 2021 First Quarter Financial Results and Business Highlights - Business Wire - August 14th, 2021
- Biomind Labs Files Patent Application in the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Its 4th Patent Application - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- Researchers Concerned About Whitewashing of Psychedelic-Assisted Mental Health Research - Mad In America - James Moore - August 6th, 2021
- Cybin Becomes First Psychedelics Company On The NYSE: CEO Explains Everything You Need To Know - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2021
- Guide to the psychedelics industry: Companies, investors, science - Business Insider - August 6th, 2021
- Three Additional Cities Across The Country Are Considering Decriminalizing Psychedelics - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2021
- Taking psychedelics while on lithium may increase risk of seizures, bad trips: study - The GrowthOp - August 6th, 2021
- B.C. non-profit challenges Health Canada to end 50-year prohibition on magic mushrooms - CBC.ca - August 6th, 2021
- First-ever research centre for psychedelic drug therapy is opening in Australia - Mixmag - August 6th, 2021
- New poll shows a strong base of Canadians overwhelmingly support controlled legal access to psilocybin-assisted - GlobeNewswire - August 6th, 2021
- Could psychedelic drugs revolutionise mental health care in the UK? - ITV News - August 6th, 2021
- Filament Health is the First Public Company to be Issued a Patent for Extraction of Natural Psilocybin - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2021
- Are Psychedelics Legal In The US? Where Are They Decriminalized? A Deep Dive Into The Legal Status of Psilocybin, MDMA, LSD, Ketamine And More - Yahoo... - August 2nd, 2021
- Banfield: Experts weigh in on the often misunderstood world of psychedelics - NewsNation Now - August 2nd, 2021
- Vancouver company receives federal licence to work with all natural psychedelics, including ayahuasca - The GrowthOp - August 2nd, 2021
- At one with the universe: How can psychedelic drugs help treat suffering? - Sydney Morning Herald - August 2nd, 2021
- Analysis Suggests No Link Between Psychedelics and the Onset of Mental Health Conditions - StreetInsider.com - August 2nd, 2021
- Nasdaq-listed MindMed Launches Human Trials OnDMT, The Psychedelic Ingredient In Ayahuasca - Forbes - August 2nd, 2021
- MindMed Leverages Ayahuasca's Ingredient DMT In Psychedelic-Inspired Therapies, Launches Trials With 30 Subjects - Markets Insider - August 2nd, 2021
- A trip to the doctor: A personal experience of how psychedelics are transforming mental health therapies - The Monthly - August 2nd, 2021
- Johns Hopkins Scientists Give Psychedelics the Serious ... - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelics Get a New Look, and PTSD Sufferers Might Have ... - July 25th, 2021
- Why Seelos Therapeutics Stock Is Jumping Today | The ... - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelic trips could soon be part of therapy heres what those sessions will look like - CNBC - July 25th, 2021
- AOC Promotes Research On Benefits Of Psychedelics Like Psilocybin And MDMA With New Amendment - Marijuana Moment - July 25th, 2021
- Michael Pollan on psychedelics and Americas dysfunctional relationship with drugs - Vox.com - July 25th, 2021
- Is It Too Early to Invest in Psychedelic Stocks? - The Motley Fool - July 25th, 2021
- Can Psychedelics Be Used to Treat Fibromyalgia? - Pain News Network - July 25th, 2021
- Psychedelics Gain More Traction as New Research Aims to Address Chronic Pain and Mental Illness - PRNewswire - July 25th, 2021