RIYADH: Psychedelic researcher Stanislov Grof once wrote that psychedelics, used responsibly and with proper caution, would be for psychiatry what the microscope is for biology and medicine or the telescope is for astronomy.
To many, this may sound like an outlandish claim, but now more than ever, it is proving to be true and may very well become a frontier in practicing medicine.
Saudi Arabia was enduring a mental health epidemic and the psychological strains of the pandemic exacerbated that. People are finding themselves desperate for ways to cope. One of the most recent psychotherapy methods in the region, albeit stigmatized, is psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy. A recent study published by Neuropsychopharmacology showed that the substances were proven to achieve positive long-term mental health effects and their efficiency, safety and tolerability in treating major depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and certain addictions.
I get more people contacting me asking me how they can receive this treatment, and its really heartbreaking to tell them, Im sorry, but youre gonna have to wait. Its not available yet.
Haya Al-Hejailan, Saudi well-being practitioner and psychedelic integration specialist
It is also associated with enhancing creativity and problem-solving, according to an article published by the Journal of Psychoactive Drugs in 2019.
While the stigma around mind-altering substances, both in the region and globally, is unavoidable, researchers and scientists argue that if these drugs are regulated and used purely for medicinal reasons, what is the harm?
The term psychedelics, a class of hallucinogens, comes from the Greek words psyche, meaning the mind, and delia, meaning manifesting. The psychoactive substances are meant to alter the mind and create an alternative cognitive perception.
Psychedelics are classified into classical, which includes lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), psilocybin (commonly known as magic mushrooms), mescaline and others, and non-classical, such as methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA or ecstasy) and ketamine.
(Theyre) really great tools for us being able to understand the brain and the study of consciousness better, Saudi well-being practitioner and psychedelic integration specialist Haya Al-Hejailan told Arab News. Her work centers on psychedelic research and the treatment of borderline personality disorder.
This point may seem counterintuitive: How can addiction be treated with a substance that may cause another addiction? But psychedelics are, in fact, anti-addictive in nature.
They have anti-addictive properties, meaning they dont constitute physiological addiction, but one can become psychologically addicted to anything, said Al-Hejailan, refererring to non-substance addictions such as coffee or mobile devices.
However, the use of psychedelics can pose certain dangers, making it crucial to undergo treatment strictly under professional medical supervision, which can only be accessible through clinics. Psychedelic therapists are trained to create a controlled environment for patients undergoing psychedelic therapy, with sessions prior to administering the treatment dose to identify any red flags or possible risks that would otherwise create a larger margin of error. Patients who self-dose could potentially be subject to health risks, retraumatization, depersonalization and dissociation.
I get more people contacting me asking me how they can receive this treatment, and its really heartbreaking to tell them, I'm sorry, but youre gonna have to wait. Its not available yet, Al-Hejailan said. But Im optimistic with highlighting the word yet.
An article published by The Lancet showed that most antidepressants are ineffective and can be harmful to adolescents and children.
In an attempt to fulfill that medical need, several research efforts and trials have been unertaken to evaluate alternative routes, such as psychedelic-assisted therapy.
A study published by the National Library of Medicine found that small IV doses of ketamine can have positive, long-lasting antidepressant effects in patients. Although the scientific research regarding psychotherapeutic psychedelic use in the region is insufficient, Saudi Arabia has been easing its way into their use use for other purposes. Last year, the Saudi Journal of Emergency Medicine published a paper describing a successful case of refractory status epilepsy, a life-threatening condition, in a child treated with a single dose of ketamine.
Despite its growing popularity in mainstream media, psychedelic science is one of the cutting-edge neurosciences, yielding insufficient research compared to other sciences. The 1950s saw the first English-language report published on LSD, and research continued into Richard Nixons US presidential term, ending in the 70s. However, research efforts were quickly banned under the justification of the war on drugs as a public enemy declared by the US president. However, it was supported by other factors, such as the lack of funding for psychedelic research and failed medical trials, according to an article published by the Cambridge University Press.
That area of medicine was considered niche until recently. In 2017, MDMA was given breakthrough therapy designation by the Food and Drug Administration, meaning it was granted an expedited review process. In 2018, the FDA granted a group of psychiatrists researching psilocybin-assisted therapy for treatment-resistant depression the same status.
In the same year, Michael Pollans book How to Change Your Mind created a public space for people to think differently about psychedelics and the consciousness expansion of the mind. Ketamine was granted the same status a year later. Arguably, that is when psychedelics hit the mainstream, although its resurgence into clinical research and trials resumed in the 1990s.
(Before that) I was met with a lot of skepticism. People literally thought I was talking about something thats crazy, Al-Hejailan said in reference to discussing psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy before 2018.
Theres a lot of interest, enthusiasm and curiosity that Im met with now when I talk about my work.
With a masters in applied positive psychology and coaching psychology from the University of East London, Al-Hejailans work also includes positive psychology integration and psychedelic education, providing training in psychedelic therapy and ketamine-assisted psychotherapy. She also co-directed and co-produced a documentary titled Psychedelic Renaissance, centered on the reemergence of the psychedelic movement globally and its cultural significance.
Al-Hejailan said that raising awareness about psychedelic studies was the first step in creating a regional environment that allows for alternative psychotherapy methods.
I think we need to, in general, focus more of our energy and attention on psychoeducation, educating the public about mental health and well-being. The more we do that, the more people are likely to continue becoming accepting and interested, she said.
Future steps to normalize the use of psychoactive drugs include active training for clinicians and therapists on their uses and benefits and eventually establishing specialized clinics and research centers.
My goal is to have presentations specifically on psychotherapy and to meet with therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists and other physicians, and policymakers at some point. To show them whats happening abroad, what the science shows and to discuss how we can replicate this here in a safe way that respects our culture and that respects our specific or unique needs, Al-Hejailan said.
I really want to open a clinic and research center here. Me and my colleagues would very much love to see Saudi pioneer in psychedelic research in the region, and maybe globally.
- Psychedelic Water CEO Pankaj Gogia Talks About The Future Of Psychedelics - Exclusive - Health Digest - August 2nd, 2022
- Biden Administration Says Task Force Is Needed to Advance Psychedelics Research - Green Entrepreneur - August 2nd, 2022
- Legalizing the trip: One 'shroom advocate's playbook - POLITICO - August 2nd, 2022
- 'The result was a rebirth. I finally got where I wanted to go': Celebs who have tried psychedelics - The Daily Post-Athenian - August 2nd, 2022
- Texas' first Ceremonial Psychedelic Treatment Center WITHIN opens in Austin - PR Web - August 2nd, 2022
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Psychedelics, Neurodevelopment and Electrophysiology job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY | 303322 - Times Higher Education - August 2nd, 2022
- Unlimited Sciences Announces Groundbreaking New Study to Observe Ayahuasca's Effects on Trauma - Business Wire - August 2nd, 2022
- Good Trip? How Psychiatrists Got Serious About Using Psychedelics to Treat Mental Health - Robb Report - July 25th, 2022
- The hope and hype of psychedelic therapy - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Microdosing Psilocybin Mushrooms May Improve Mental Health and Mood - Healthline - July 25th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of July 18 - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Psyched Up: The race to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Keeping the Hippie Dream Alive - The New York Times - July 25th, 2022
- DEA Sued Over Delays To Open Records For Psychedelics And Cannabis - Benzinga - Benzinga - July 25th, 2022
- Trade to Black Podcast: the Senate Vs the Cannabis Administration Opportunity Act - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Otago academic and comedian takes on the science of getting high - Stuff - July 25th, 2022
- Can mad honey get you high? A bee expert reveals the answer - Inverse - July 25th, 2022
- The promise of psychedelics - Investors' Chronicle - Investors Chronicle - July 14th, 2022
- House Moves to Expand Psychedelic Therapy Research - The Intercept - July 14th, 2022
- Ann Shulgin, pioneer of psychedelics in therapy, dies at 91 - ABC News - July 14th, 2022
- Doctors Urge Access to Psychedelic Therapies in New Mexico - TIME - July 14th, 2022
- States That Have Made Advancements Toward Legalizing Psychedelics - StreetInsider.com - July 14th, 2022
- Canada: 100+ Healthcare Professionals Protest Psilocybin Access Ban For Psychedelics-Assisted Therapy Training - Benzinga - July 14th, 2022
- Optimi Health Finalizes Psilocybin Supply Agreement With Bloom Psychedelic Therapy And Research Centre - Marketscreener.com - July 14th, 2022
- Psychedelics gave me the courage to take charge of my romantic life - Mic - July 7th, 2022
- Goodbye Weed and Acid, Hello Magic Mushrooms - Psychedelic Spotlight - July 7th, 2022
- Meet the Married Couple Trailblazing the Development of Psychedelic Therapies - PR Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Berkeley's psychedelic rebbe is ready for the first Jewish cannabis retreat - The Jewish News of Northern California - July 7th, 2022
- CaaMTech Collaborates With the Alexander Shulgin Research Institute to Study Shulgin Compounds - Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Origin Therapeutics adds Clairvoyant Therapeutics to its Portfolio - GlobeNewswire - July 7th, 2022
- Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy & Medicine - Psychedelics.com - July 4th, 2022
- Can microdosing psychedelics improve your mental health? Here's what the science says - ABC News - July 4th, 2022
- Inside Vision Treks: The Mind Armys Psychedelic Retreat Takes Strangers Into The Desert - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- GOP Congressman's Amendment Would Direct Military To Study Psilocybin And MDMA Benefits For Service Members - Marijuana Moment - July 4th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms: BC production facility one of a handful licensed to grow - CTV News - July 4th, 2022
- 3 Paranormal Experiences That Have Caught The Attention Of Mental Health Researchers - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- VA Studying Psychedelics As Mental Health Treatment For Veterans - Forbes - June 29th, 2022
- 10 Psychedelics CEOs To Pay Attention To In 2022 - Yahoo Finance - June 29th, 2022
- Secret ancient Andean passageways may have been used in rituals involving psychedelics - Livescience.com - June 29th, 2022
- How psychedelics act on the brain to relieve depression - Daily Maverick - June 29th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are all the rage. But are they Jewish? - The Guardian - June 29th, 2022
- Treating Stress with Wearable Technology - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - PR Newswire - June 29th, 2022
- This Week in Psychedelic Stocks: Compass Pathways Wins Patent Battle, MindMed Patents Candy Flipping, and More! - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Optimi Health Initiates Agreement With SABI Mind For Therapeutic Supplies Of Psilocybin, MDMA - Marketscreener.com - June 29th, 2022
- Braxia Scientific CEO to Deliver Keynote Address at HC Wainwright & Co. 1st Annual Mental Health Conference: Neuropsychiatry, Psychedelics, and... - June 29th, 2022
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-Assisted Therapy in Hawaii: A Brief Review - Cureus - June 29th, 2022
- How an NHL Enforcer Broke His Body and Turned to Psychedelics to Heal His Brain - Rolling Stone - June 22nd, 2022
- The top psychedelic drug developers leading the market - Labiotech.eu - June 22nd, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2022
- Two psychedelic-related initiatives may be on the 2022 Colorado ballot - Denver 7 Colorado News - June 22nd, 2022
- Cybin Inc. Reports Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - Business Wire - June 22nd, 2022
- SPOTLIGHT IN FOCUS - The Rise of Psychedelic Therapy - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 22nd, 2022
- Rapper Vic Mensa has a more badass fitness routine than you thanks to martial arts, psychedelics and meditation - British GQ - June 22nd, 2022
- What is Ego Death And How Does it Work? - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 22nd, 2022
- Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Trials of Psychedelics in Headache Disorders: Bryan Roth, MD, PhD - Neurology Live - June 11th, 2022
- Stephen Asma: My father's experience with morphine in hospice showed me the healing joy of altered states - Chicago Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 30 - The Dales Report - June 5th, 2022
- Psychedelic Wellness: 5 Magical Benefits of Magic Mushrooms - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - June 5th, 2022
- 'Magic mushrooms drug could help depression sufferers in the years to come' - Irish Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Tripping over the potential of psychedelics for autism | Spectrum - Spectrum - June 3rd, 2022
- Can you take the trip out of psychedelics and still treat depression? - New Scientist - June 3rd, 2022
- We spark curiosity: how the psychedelics industry is taking on Davos - The Guardian - June 3rd, 2022
- Cybin Announces Publication in Frontiers in Psychology Journal Introducing EMBARK, an Integrative Model of Psychedelic Therapy - Business Wire - June 3rd, 2022
- Ketamine can treat depression but teletherapy could make it accessible - Inverse - June 3rd, 2022
- 2022-06-01 | PINL:EHVVF | Press Release | ehave Inc - Stockhouse - June 3rd, 2022
- VIDEO: The Weekly Weed Report (05-31-22) - Investing Daily - Investing Daily - June 3rd, 2022
- Psychedelics Companies in Oregon Will Have to Grapple With 280E - Business Insider - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 16 - The Dales Report - May 21st, 2022
- Psychedelics and Mindfulness: The Future of Mental Health? | Microdose - Microdose Psychedelic Insights - May 21st, 2022
- CATALYST Summit: 3 Psychedelic Speakers to Catch This Weekend - Psychedelic Spotlight - May 21st, 2022
- 'I took ketamine to treat my severe depression' - iNews - May 21st, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 9 - The Dales Report - May 15th, 2022
- Psychedelic Patents are Broken Because the Patent System Is Broken - VICE - May 15th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are on WeHos mind - WEHOville - May 15th, 2022
- Behind the Scenes on the First Study To Compare the Effects of LSD and Psilocybin - Technology Networks - May 15th, 2022
- Revitalist's Strategic Initiatives Continue to Exceed Expectations for Execution Giving Company Record High Revenues Since Opening in 2018. - Business... - May 15th, 2022
- MDMA as medicine: Stemming the tide of veteran suicides in Western North Carolina - Smoky Mountain News - May 15th, 2022
- Cybin's CYB0004 Shows Positive Preclinical Results Over ... - May 3rd, 2022
- Psychedelics played role in Wallace Falls hiker's death ... - May 3rd, 2022