The psychedelics space is booming.
Over the past year, startups focused on turning psychedelic compounds into approved medicineshave raised hundreds of millions of dollars from private investors and dozens have gone public.
Research on compounds like psilocybin, the active compound found in magic mushrooms, and MDMA is resurfacing after years of neglect amid the war on drugs.
Venture-capital investors have been at the center of the psychedelics boom. In early 2020, startups in the space said they were beginning to see signs that investor appetitewas growing.
Then, we saw a flurry of activity, which one industry exec called a "psychedelic renaissance."
Soon, VC firms focused on psychedelics companies specifically began to emerge. Insider's list of the top 11 venture-capital investors in the space collectively deployed $139.8 million into startups in just a few short years.
They also gave us their predictions for the coming months. Some told us that biotech giants were looking to get into the space, while others predicted a boom in tech companies and clinics that would lay the groundwork for when medications come to market. We can also expect to see new compounds and a slew of startup failures, they said.
Meet the top 11 VCs who've bet the most cash on turning MDMA and magic mushrooms into medical treatments
Top VCs in psychedelics say Big Pharma is knocking at the door and it could fuel a wave of deals
Top psychedelics VCs predict a tech boom and a rise of clinics over the next year
Top VCs predict new compounds and impending failures will shape the future of the psychedelics industry
ATAI Life Sciences CEO Florian Brand. ATAI Life Sciences
A slew of companies have entered the psychedelics industry, but a few stand out as frontrunners.
In February 2020, Atai CEO Florian Brand said that he was turning to pharma and biotech investors as the company looked to further grow. At the time, Atai was a private company that made headlines for winning over backers like Mike Novogratz and Peter Thiel.
In March of this year, the company raised a record $157 million, pushing psychedelics further into the mainstream.
Meanwhile, change has been bubbling on the state and local levels. In November, Oregon legalized psilocybin for therapeutic purposes but that doesn't mean you'll see the giants rush in.
The biggest companies in the space told Insider they were focused on seeking approval for their experimental substances from the Food and Drug Administration. Atai founder Christian Angermayer said recently that while he personally supports decriminalization, he thinks legalizing psychedelics could create a backlash for the industry.
Compass Pathways CEO George Goldsmith told Insider soon after the company's IPO last fall that he expects treatments to come on the market by 2025. Atai's Brand said there are challenges to address between now and when treatments become widely available, such as scalability and reimbursement.
The CEO of a $1.2 billion psychedelics company told us he expects psilocybin-based treatments by 2025 and predicts a 'Cambrian explosion' of innovation in the industry
The founder of the biggest psychedelics company says legalizing magic mushrooms risks creating a backlash that could undermine the industry
The CEO of the biggest psychedelics company lays out the 3 challenges he has to address before treatments hit the market
The first page of Compass Pathway's 2019 pitch deck. Compass Pathways
Drug development takes a lot of capital, and startups are focused on getting the funding they need.
Insider got ahold of three pitch decks that companies used to raise tens of millions of dollars. Beckley Psytech raised $18.6 million in December to develop a slew of new treatments focused on rare diseases and mental health.
Compass Pathways raised $80 million from investors like Founders Fund in 2019, fueling its rise to the top.
Meanwhile, startups focused on clinics, where psychedelic treatments are expected to be administered, are raising capital too. Novamind raised $7.8 million with this pitch deck.
Psilocybin found in magic mushrooms is a type of psychedelic Alexander Volkov/Getty Images
Another way to get access to capital is to go public, and there are now dozens of psychedelics companies in the US and Canada.
We broke down the 7 companies with the biggest market caps and laid out their business models, drug pipelines, and timeline to get treatments to market.
What to know about the major public psychedelics companies, including a guide to their business models and when they expect to sell medications
See the pitch deck a psychedelics startup just used to raise $18.6 million to develop new treatments derived from the Sonoran Desert toad
See the 20-slide pitch deck a psychedelics startup used to raise funds to build out a network of ketamine clinics
See the pitch deck that Compass Pathways used to raise $80 million and fuel its rise into one of the world's biggest psychedelics companies
A look at a legal psychedelic retreat hosted by The Synthesis Institute The Synthesis Institute
Private startups are still a core part of the space.
Earlier this year, we published a list of the psychdelic startups that raised the most cash in 2020. The 14 names on that list raised over $222 million.
We recently asked the biggest investors in the space to name two top startups in the industry one they had invested in and one in which they hadn't and came back with 15 names.
Meet the top 14 psychedelics startups raising the most cash to develop new ways of treating depression, addiction, and more
VCs name the top 15 startups in the psychedelics industry
DMT research at Imperial College London Thomas Angus, Imperial College London
Meanwhile, it's not just investors and companies that are building out the foundation for what could become a $100 billion market.
Academics have continued to publish promising studies on the benefits of psychedelic compounds.
Wealthy philanthropists are responsible for the rush of funding entering academia as prestigious universities set up psychedelic research centers. One scientist told us that as psychedelic research has emerged from the fringes, donors have begun to catch the "psychedelic bug."
"What psychedelics seems to do is, when it grabs you, you really seem to get it," he said.
Lawyers and analysts are also wading into the space. As a slew of companies began to go public, analysts at investment banks began to cover the industry. Lawyers originally focused on cannabis clients also took the plunge.
Amid all this growth, a key battle over the role of patents in the psychedelics space has been brewing, as companies race to protect their intellectual property and longtime advocates in the space work to protect information that they say belongs in the public domain.
A Canadian investment bank that capitalized on the cannabis rush is now looking toward a new market. Meet the first analyst covering the burgeoning psychedelics industry.
Cannabis lawyers are wading into the psychedelics industry as companies push forward with mega-deals and medical trials to win a slice of the $100 billion market
Wealthy donors are fueling a psychedelics renaissance as universities vie for funding to study 'magic mushrooms' and MDMA
A landmark study shows the main compound in magic mushrooms could rival a leading depression drug
Experts share how a brewing fight could shape the future of the $100 billion psychedelics industry
Go here to see the original:
- Daily Skimm: Psychedelics, The DOJ, and iMessages - theSkimm - September 15th, 2022
- Inside the UK's new psychedelic drug trial clinic trying to treat depression and anxiety - iNews - September 15th, 2022
- What A Trip: Delix Therapeutics is Treating Mental Health at Scale with Psychoplastogens - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 15th, 2022
- HealingMaps Announces $1 Million in Seed Funding to Power Growth in Psychedelic Therapy Industry - Yahoo Finance - September 15th, 2022
- Nav Talks The Moment He Realized He Made It; It Involves Psychedelics - UPROXX - September 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics and Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy - September 7th, 2022
- Preparing for a new era of psychedelic treatment - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - September 7th, 2022
- Toronto is getting a trippy psychedelics immersive exhibition this month - Curiocity - September 7th, 2022
- Xtalks to host upcoming webinar on psychedelic know-how - Mugglehead - September 7th, 2022
- An immersive psychedelic exhibition is opening in Toronto this month | Listed - Daily Hive - September 7th, 2022
- Netflixs How to Change Your Mind Says Drugs Are the Answer Are They Right? - Goalcast - September 7th, 2022
- Yeah, Mental Health, Bro, It Starts With Self-Love | Aaron Rodgers Says His Use Of Psychedelics Has Increased His Passion For Life And The Game Of... - September 7th, 2022
- Delic Executive Chairman Matt Stang Named to World Biz Magazine's Top 100 CEOs in Innovation - Yahoo Finance - September 7th, 2022
- Cannabis and Hallucinogens Are Being Consumed at the Highest Rates on Record by Today's Young Adults - Cannabis Science and Technology - September 7th, 2022
- Aspen considers the value of psychedelics for mental wellness - The Aspen Times - August 29th, 2022
- Oregon's Psychedelics Law Comes Down To Individuals: Which Counties Will Ban Them? - Benzinga - August 29th, 2022
- The Black mothers finding freedom in mushrooms: They give us our power back - The Guardian - August 29th, 2022
- Psychedelic Water CEO Pankaj Gogia Talks About The Future Of Psychedelics - Exclusive - Health Digest - August 2nd, 2022
- Biden Administration Says Task Force Is Needed to Advance Psychedelics Research - Green Entrepreneur - August 2nd, 2022
- Legalizing the trip: One 'shroom advocate's playbook - POLITICO - August 2nd, 2022
- 'The result was a rebirth. I finally got where I wanted to go': Celebs who have tried psychedelics - The Daily Post-Athenian - August 2nd, 2022
- Texas' first Ceremonial Psychedelic Treatment Center WITHIN opens in Austin - PR Web - August 2nd, 2022
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Psychedelics, Neurodevelopment and Electrophysiology job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY | 303322 - Times Higher Education - August 2nd, 2022
- Unlimited Sciences Announces Groundbreaking New Study to Observe Ayahuasca's Effects on Trauma - Business Wire - August 2nd, 2022
- Good Trip? How Psychiatrists Got Serious About Using Psychedelics to Treat Mental Health - Robb Report - July 25th, 2022
- The hope and hype of psychedelic therapy - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Microdosing Psilocybin Mushrooms May Improve Mental Health and Mood - Healthline - July 25th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of July 18 - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Psyched Up: The race to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Keeping the Hippie Dream Alive - The New York Times - July 25th, 2022
- DEA Sued Over Delays To Open Records For Psychedelics And Cannabis - Benzinga - Benzinga - July 25th, 2022
- Trade to Black Podcast: the Senate Vs the Cannabis Administration Opportunity Act - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Otago academic and comedian takes on the science of getting high - Stuff - July 25th, 2022
- Can mad honey get you high? A bee expert reveals the answer - Inverse - July 25th, 2022
- The promise of psychedelics - Investors' Chronicle - Investors Chronicle - July 14th, 2022
- House Moves to Expand Psychedelic Therapy Research - The Intercept - July 14th, 2022
- Ann Shulgin, pioneer of psychedelics in therapy, dies at 91 - ABC News - July 14th, 2022
- Doctors Urge Access to Psychedelic Therapies in New Mexico - TIME - July 14th, 2022
- States That Have Made Advancements Toward Legalizing Psychedelics - StreetInsider.com - July 14th, 2022
- Canada: 100+ Healthcare Professionals Protest Psilocybin Access Ban For Psychedelics-Assisted Therapy Training - Benzinga - July 14th, 2022
- Optimi Health Finalizes Psilocybin Supply Agreement With Bloom Psychedelic Therapy And Research Centre - Marketscreener.com - July 14th, 2022
- Psychedelics gave me the courage to take charge of my romantic life - Mic - July 7th, 2022
- Goodbye Weed and Acid, Hello Magic Mushrooms - Psychedelic Spotlight - July 7th, 2022
- Meet the Married Couple Trailblazing the Development of Psychedelic Therapies - PR Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Berkeley's psychedelic rebbe is ready for the first Jewish cannabis retreat - The Jewish News of Northern California - July 7th, 2022
- CaaMTech Collaborates With the Alexander Shulgin Research Institute to Study Shulgin Compounds - Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Origin Therapeutics adds Clairvoyant Therapeutics to its Portfolio - GlobeNewswire - July 7th, 2022
- Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy & Medicine - Psychedelics.com - July 4th, 2022
- Can microdosing psychedelics improve your mental health? Here's what the science says - ABC News - July 4th, 2022
- Inside Vision Treks: The Mind Armys Psychedelic Retreat Takes Strangers Into The Desert - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- GOP Congressman's Amendment Would Direct Military To Study Psilocybin And MDMA Benefits For Service Members - Marijuana Moment - July 4th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms: BC production facility one of a handful licensed to grow - CTV News - July 4th, 2022
- 3 Paranormal Experiences That Have Caught The Attention Of Mental Health Researchers - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- VA Studying Psychedelics As Mental Health Treatment For Veterans - Forbes - June 29th, 2022
- 10 Psychedelics CEOs To Pay Attention To In 2022 - Yahoo Finance - June 29th, 2022
- Secret ancient Andean passageways may have been used in rituals involving psychedelics - Livescience.com - June 29th, 2022
- How psychedelics act on the brain to relieve depression - Daily Maverick - June 29th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are all the rage. But are they Jewish? - The Guardian - June 29th, 2022
- Treating Stress with Wearable Technology - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - PR Newswire - June 29th, 2022
- This Week in Psychedelic Stocks: Compass Pathways Wins Patent Battle, MindMed Patents Candy Flipping, and More! - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Is there a future for psychedelic treatment in Saudi Arabia? - Arab News - June 29th, 2022
- Optimi Health Initiates Agreement With SABI Mind For Therapeutic Supplies Of Psilocybin, MDMA - Marketscreener.com - June 29th, 2022
- Braxia Scientific CEO to Deliver Keynote Address at HC Wainwright & Co. 1st Annual Mental Health Conference: Neuropsychiatry, Psychedelics, and... - June 29th, 2022
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-Assisted Therapy in Hawaii: A Brief Review - Cureus - June 29th, 2022
- How an NHL Enforcer Broke His Body and Turned to Psychedelics to Heal His Brain - Rolling Stone - June 22nd, 2022
- The top psychedelic drug developers leading the market - Labiotech.eu - June 22nd, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2022
- Two psychedelic-related initiatives may be on the 2022 Colorado ballot - Denver 7 Colorado News - June 22nd, 2022
- Cybin Inc. Reports Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - Business Wire - June 22nd, 2022
- SPOTLIGHT IN FOCUS - The Rise of Psychedelic Therapy - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 22nd, 2022
- Rapper Vic Mensa has a more badass fitness routine than you thanks to martial arts, psychedelics and meditation - British GQ - June 22nd, 2022
- What is Ego Death And How Does it Work? - Benzinga - Benzinga - June 22nd, 2022
- Anecdotal Evidence and the Need for Trials of Psychedelics in Headache Disorders: Bryan Roth, MD, PhD - Neurology Live - June 11th, 2022
- Stephen Asma: My father's experience with morphine in hospice showed me the healing joy of altered states - Chicago Tribune - June 11th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of May 30 - The Dales Report - June 5th, 2022
- Psychedelic Wellness: 5 Magical Benefits of Magic Mushrooms - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - June 5th, 2022
- 'Magic mushrooms drug could help depression sufferers in the years to come' - Irish Mirror - June 5th, 2022
- Tripping over the potential of psychedelics for autism | Spectrum - Spectrum - June 3rd, 2022
- Can you take the trip out of psychedelics and still treat depression? - New Scientist - June 3rd, 2022