GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. As soon as potentially this fall, Grand Rapids could become the latest jurisdiction to de-prioritize possession, cultivation and use of entheogenic plants and fungi.
In laymans terms: you wont get arrested for having, using, growing or gifting psychedelics.
This isnt a decriminalization per say; its de-prioritization, said Grand Rapids City Commissioner Kurt Reppart. Its allowing for whats called the 'grow, gift, gather' model outside of that, the rest of this is illegal.
Reppart is in full support of making psychedelics the lowest priority on law enforcements radar. He thinks not only will the move save resources on their end but also acknowledges the plants and fungi can be powerful medicines for constituents using them to treat a range of ailments, from post-traumatic stress, to addiction, depression, anxiety and end-of-life suffering.
If decriminalization becomes a reality, psilocybic mushrooms, cacti that contains mescalin ayahuasca, and ibogaine would all be low priority on law enforcement's radar.
Decriminalize Nature Grand Rapids a local chapter of a national group that seeks to destigmatize and decriminalize entheogenic plants and fungi nationwide has been working with Reppart to bring a measure up for a vote in the city.
We are a movement that is fighting for the regular person to be able to heal themselves, said Chad Beyer, founder and board member of DNGR. Were not asking for a carte blanche where you can do anything with these medicines decriminalization is really risk reduction because there are already many people in this city, as well as across the country, who are using these medicines.
These drugs are not addictive; you cant overdose on them, so it just seems reasonable to look into cures using these, said Mary Reed Kelly, another founder and board member of DNGR. Were asking that we try this and that we look into these resources and dont just stick with what weve been doing, because obviously we havent gotten that right.
Grand Rapids has one of the highest rates of depression in the country, and DNGR thinks taking heat off those who want to try this alternative to expensive and potentially dangerous opioids and antidepressants could help.
We dont want people who are finding healing with these medicines to be driven underground, said Beyer, who was diagnosed five years ago with spinocerebellar ataxia, an incurable neurological disease that hes used psilocybin mushrooms to treat in the past.
People experience their own divinity, which means that they experience oneness and connection with other people and the planet, said Beyer. Its quite amazing; Im no longer afraid of dying.
Theres kind of a growing interest in destigmatization of mental health in general, said Luke Johnson, another of DNGRs board members. They are drugs; they have drug effects, but I think its important to emphasize the idea that these are medicines.
In recent years, academia has hopped on board. Studies at Johnsons alma mater University of Chicago, Yale, Johns Hopkins, University of California Berkeley, and even the FDA have facilitated several studies on the potential medical benefits of entheogenic plants and fungi.
The FDA even has designated psylocibin, for instance, as a breakthrough therapy for depression, said Kelly.
Other parts of the country are considering similar measures, and so are other parts of Michigan. In September 2020, Ann Arbor took the step as a city to decriminalize possession, use and growth of the plants, and shortly after, Washtenaw County Prosecutor Eli Savit announced he wouldnt prosecute any cases of possession, use or growth. Thus, the cases were de-prioritized by law enforcement.
That basically means that if a law enforcement officer in Ann Arbor sees somebody crossing the street the wrong way, and across the street they see somebody with mushrooms, they have to go after the person for crossing the street, said Savit. Its just not something that we see the need to channel our very scarce criminal justice resources towards.
Reppart says Grand Rapids police are already operating under that same principle, so the laws passage would just codify their policy as it already exists.
People are leveraging these medicines for healing now, said Reppart. This is another pathway for people to experience healing from these difficult things.
Follow FOX 17: Facebook - Twitter - Instagram - YouTube
Read the original post:
- Study Finds 65% Of Americans With Mental Health Conditions Want Access To Psychedelics - Forbes - January 24th, 2022
- What are the potential risks of microdosing psychedelics? - Leafly - January 24th, 2022
- Trade To Black Podcast 20: Is the Selling In MSOS And Psychedelics Getting Overdone? A Frank Discussion - The Dales Report - January 24th, 2022
- Icebreakers with...MindMed CEO Rob Barrow - Morning Brew - January 24th, 2022
- Research in 60 Seconds: How Taking Psychedelics Can Be Therapeutic - UCF - January 24th, 2022
- TDRs Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of January 17 - The Dales Report - January 24th, 2022
- The Psychedelics Series: The history and future of ketamine - The Cannabis Exchange - January 24th, 2022
- How 2021 became the year of psychedelics - and why 2022 is set to be even bigger - The Cannabis Exchange - January 24th, 2022
- Why Is Everyone Smoking Toad Venom? - What To Know About the Hallucinogenic Toad, DMT, Bufo - TownandCountrymag.com - January 24th, 2022
- Breaking Down Numinus Wellness Quarterly Results - The Dales Report - January 24th, 2022
- Ancient Latin American Empire Could Have Thrived Thanks to Psychedelic-Infused Beer - StreetInsider.com - January 24th, 2022
- Psychedelics can change humanity for the better. Its time ... - January 9th, 2022
- 'Microdosers' of LSD and magic mushrooms are wiser... - Daily Maverick - January 9th, 2022
- Core One Labs Now Also Working to Biosynthesize DMT and Receives License - Financial Post - January 9th, 2022
- NeonMind to Present at H.C. Wainwright Bioconnect Conference - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2022
- Magic mushroom companies are on the Nasdaq now. Thats a recipe for a bad trip - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Psilocybin therapy options could expand in Hawaii | Hawai'i Public Radio - Hawaiipublicradio - January 7th, 2022
- From psychedelics to 'The Great Resignation' - wellness trends for 2022 - CapeTown ETC - January 7th, 2022
- Ketamine, Psilocybin and the Rise of Missouri Psychedelics - Riverfront Times - December 25th, 2021
- Animals That Eat Psychedelics And Enjoy The Trip - Benzinga - Benzinga - December 25th, 2021
- Bad Hug - The Cut - December 25th, 2021
- How Seeing God Might Be The Secret To The Most Cutting-Edge Mental Health Treatments - Forbes - December 25th, 2021
- Happy Holidays From The Dales Report Team - The Dales Report - December 25th, 2021
- GOP Lawmakers File Bills To Streamline Research Into Marijuana, Psychedelics And Other Schedule I Drugs - Marijuana Moment - December 22nd, 2021
- Meet Zappy Zapolin, The Psychedelic Concierge Who Turned Lamar Odom On To Ketamine - Forbes - December 22nd, 2021
- Numinus Wellness inc: Leading in the psychedelics race - Proactive Investors UK - December 22nd, 2021
- When Aldous Huxley Opened the Doors of Perception - The MIT Press Reader - December 22nd, 2021
- Kratom Attracts Investor Attention After Regulatory Win - Bloomberg - December 22nd, 2021
- Two esteemed doctors join CB Therapeutics in its exploration of innovative approaches to the production of novel psychedelics and cannabinoids so... - December 22nd, 2021
- Revenge travel and psychedelic retreats: The travel trends taking flight in 2022 - AsiaOne - December 22nd, 2021
- Cybin Awarded Notice of Allowance from US Patent and Trademark Office for CYB004 (Deuterated Psychedelic Tryptamine) for the Treatment of Anxiety... - December 15th, 2021
- TGA blocks bid to have MDMA, magic mushrooms used to treat mental health conditions - ABC News - December 15th, 2021
- PharmaTher Announces Positive Research Results for LSD Microneedle Patch - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2021
- MDMA could soon be used to treat PTSD according to physicians - Mixmag - December 15th, 2021
- MindMed Appoints Robert Barrow as Chief Executive Officer and Director - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2021
- MAPS and Wesana Health Resume Negotiations - GlobeNewswire - December 15th, 2021
- Sex, psychedelics and murderous impulses: Do we know too much about Will Smith? - The Independent - November 7th, 2021
- PharmaDrug commissions TIBI for advancing psychedelics program with analogue DMT formulation to cure eye diseases - Proactive Investors USA - November 7th, 2021
- I Have $1,000. Should I Invest In Cannabis, Crypto Or Psychedelics? - Benzinga - Benzinga - November 7th, 2021
- Psychedelics Could Be New Frontier in End-of-Life Care - Hospice News - November 5th, 2021
- Detroit just decriminalized psychedelics and magic mushrooms. Heres what that means - PBS NewsHour - November 5th, 2021
- Psychedelics linked to lower risk of heart disease and diabetes - Medical News Today - November 5th, 2021
- The people turning to psychedelics on their deathbeds - The Independent - November 5th, 2021
- Psychedelic Therapy Is Hyped, But Its Not Risk-Free: How Therapy Abuse Can Retraumatize Clients - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- Defeating Gambling Addiction: New Study Looks To Defy The Odds With Psychedelics - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Unicorn's Stock Is Up 50% In One MonthBeating Bitcoin, Ethereum And Dogecoin - Benzing - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Stock Was Up More Than 20% Last Week, Outperforming Tesla, Nvidia and GameStop - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- Biglaw Associate Is Advocating For Therapeutic Use Of Psychedelics And The Firm Is Backing Him Up - Above the Law - November 5th, 2021
- Easthampton is the fourth city in Mass. to vote to decriminalize psychedelics - WBUR - October 24th, 2021
- There Could Be a Curious Link Between Psychedelics And Improved Heart Health - ScienceAlert - October 24th, 2021
- How Atai Is Transforming The Landscape Of Mental Health Using Psychedelics (Part 2) - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- A recent history of therapeutic psychedelics - Toronto Life - October 24th, 2021
- New Research Hints at a Link Between Psychedelics and Improved Heart Health - The Swaddle - October 24th, 2021
- Why Ketamine-Assisted Therapy Has Gone Mainstream - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- Ketamine and psilocybin, better known as party drugs, showing promise for treatment of mood disorders - CTV News - October 24th, 2021
- Recent progress in psychedelic therapies - Lexology - October 24th, 2021
- Miracles and medication: The new science of psychedelic drugs - Stuff.co.nz - October 24th, 2021
- UAB researcher granted federal funding for psilocybin and smoking study - The Mix - October 24th, 2021
- Yale researchers using psychedelics to find new treatments for depression - WTNH.com - September 17th, 2021
- Want Quick Exposure To The Psychedelics Sector? Check Out This New Active ETF - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- 5 things to know about the Ann Arbor psychedelic shroom fest - MLive.com - September 17th, 2021
- A Look At Psychedelics Stock PharmaTher And Its Recent Bull Run - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- Differentiated Approach in Psychedelics Boosts Confidence in Upcoming Clinical Trials for Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) -... - September 17th, 2021
- Psychedelics research and public education elevated by multiple gifts - UC Berkeley - September 16th, 2021
- Pain Awareness Month: Psychable Educates Patients on Transformative Power of Using Psychedelics as Medicine for Pain Treatment, Management and Healing... - September 16th, 2021
- $80 Million Granted to Research Psychedelic Properties of Ingesting Toad Venom - Newsweek - September 16th, 2021
- Psychedelic Use on the Rise As Gen Z Seeks To Enhance Connectedness - VICE UK - September 16th, 2021
- Phyto Partners Cannabis VC on Why He's Investing in Psychedelics - Business Insider - September 16th, 2021
- Detroit Voters Will Decide On Psychedelics Decriminalization Ballot Measure In November - Marijuana Moment - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle bid to decriminalize psychedelics could have profound effect on treating addiction - MyNorthwest.com - September 16th, 2021
- Post-9/11 vets go to Mexico to treat trauma with psychedelic - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 16th, 2021
- Lobe Sciences to Participate at the Advances in Me... | INN - Investing News Network - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle is now in the process of legalizing psychedelics, heres what to know - Curiocity - September 16th, 2021
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Suicide Remains a Leading Global Cause of Death; Communities Across the World Seek Expanded Use of Psychedelics as... - September 16th, 2021
- Psilocybin Transdermal Patches Could Be The Next Big Thing In Psychedelics - Forbes - September 1st, 2021
- Psychedelics are getting closer to approval, but the market may not be ready - FierceBiotech - August 22nd, 2021
- At-Home Genetic Testing Cant Tell You If Youre Going to Have a Bad Trip - VICE - August 22nd, 2021
- Past, Present & Future of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy: A New Dawn for Mental Health and Neuroscience - cmc.edu - August 22nd, 2021
- Researchers breaking away from the central dogma of depression - STAT - STAT - August 22nd, 2021
- When did humans start experimenting with alcohol and drugs? - EL PAS in English - August 22nd, 2021