Detroit has joined the growing number of cities and states that have decriminalized entheogenic plants and fungi, more colloquially known as magic mushrooms and psychedelics.
Voters, including the citys incumbent mayor who won a re-election, passed Proposal E on Tuesday night to decriminalize entheogenic plants and fungi. Just more than 61 percent of voters supported the measure, with nearly 39 percent of voters opposing it, according to the City of Detroits unofficial election results Wednesday.
Detroiters voted in high numbers in support of further decriminalization, Michigan State Sen. Adam Hollier of Detroit told the PBS NewsHour after the election. The war on drugs was a war on Black and brown communities and its good to see Black communities pushing back.
Voters in the majority-Black city were asked whether to amend the city code to decriminalize to the fullest extent permitted under Michigan law the personal possession and therapeutic use of Entheogenic Plants by adults and make the personal possession and therapeutic use of Entheogenic Plants by adults the citys lowest law-enforcement priority.
READ MORE: Why the push to decriminalize psychedelics is growing in Michigan
State and federal law still prohibits personal possession and therapeutic use of entheogenic plants and fungi. But decriminalizing use and possession within city limits means the local police department does not prioritize arrests for those offenses, unless theyre linked to another crime. The measure did not authorize commercialization of the plants and fungi.
The entheogenic plants include psilocybin mushrooms, ibogaine from Africa, ayahuasca from South America and peyote and mescaline from certain cacti.
In the efforts to decriminalize both marijuana and psychedelics, critics have shared fears about fewer penalties leading to more drug use and potentially to more crime.
A growing body of research suggests that these substances can help relieve post-traumatic stress disorder, addiction and withdrawal symptoms, major depression and anxiety, among other conditions.
Along with pointing to research on medicinal benefits of these substances something 35 percent of voters support, according to a Hill Harris-X poll in June supporters say decriminalizing them is also way to help curb some of the racial disparities that emerged in law enforcement as a result of Richard Nixons so-called war on drugs.
The war on drugs continues to destroy the lives of so many, and has specifically targeted people of color and other vulnerable communities, said Eugene Katz, a Detroit resident who voted in favor of the proposal. But the people are changing that with ballot measures like this its part of a nationwide movement to reclaim our inalienable right to the earth and the gifts it offers people, like the entheogenic plants many hold sacred, which have a long history of safe use and a culture with deep roots reaching back thousands of years
The Detroit proposal comes when many states and cities have decriminalized or legalized the medical or recreational use of marijuana or cannabis, and are now beginning to do the same with entheogenic plants or fungi. Denver was the first city to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms in 2019. Since then, Oregon, Rhode Island, New Jersey, the District of Columbia, along with eight other U.S. cities have decriminalized entheogenic plants and fungi in some way.
READ MORE: Oregon leads the way in decriminalizing hard drugs
In September 2020, in a unanimous decision, Ann Arbors City Council passed legislation to decriminalize the possession, non-commercial use, and cultivation of entheogenic plants and fungi. Shortly thereafter, the Washtenaw County Prosecutors Office issued a policy directive to make prosecuting people for crimes involving entheogenic plants and fungi its lowest priority.
Another resolution in in Grand Rapids, Michigan, authorized more research into entheogenic plants and fungi as a potential step toward decriminalizing them
Other Michigan cities beginning to organize around this issue include the Detroit suburbs of Hazel Park and Madison Heights; the states capital city, Lansing, and neighboring college town East Lansing; upstate tourist destination Traverse City; Ypsilanti, which neighbors Ann Arbor; and Flint.
In September 2021, Hollier and fellow state senator Jeff Irwin of Ann Arbor introduced a bill to decriminalize the manufacture, possession, delivery, and use of entheogenic plants and fungi statewide. It also allows usage of entheogenic plants and fungi for research. Commercial production and sale would still be prohibited. The bill is now waiting in the Judiciary and Public Safety Committee.
Now that Detroit has joined the list of cities that has taken action on entheogenic plants and fungi, I hope the state legislature will quickly adopt the legislation we have to decriminalize these natural psychedelics, Hollier said.
WATCH MORE: Why psychedelic drugs are having a medical renaissance
Read the rest here:
- Psychedelics can change humanity for the better. Its time ... - January 9th, 2022
- 'Microdosers' of LSD and magic mushrooms are wiser... - Daily Maverick - January 9th, 2022
- Core One Labs Now Also Working to Biosynthesize DMT and Receives License - Financial Post - January 9th, 2022
- NeonMind to Present at H.C. Wainwright Bioconnect Conference - Yahoo Finance - January 9th, 2022
- Magic mushroom companies are on the Nasdaq now. Thats a recipe for a bad trip - The Guardian - January 7th, 2022
- Psilocybin therapy options could expand in Hawaii | Hawai'i Public Radio - Hawaiipublicradio - January 7th, 2022
- From psychedelics to 'The Great Resignation' - wellness trends for 2022 - CapeTown ETC - January 7th, 2022
- Ketamine, Psilocybin and the Rise of Missouri Psychedelics - Riverfront Times - December 25th, 2021
- Animals That Eat Psychedelics And Enjoy The Trip - Benzinga - Benzinga - December 25th, 2021
- Bad Hug - The Cut - December 25th, 2021
- How Seeing God Might Be The Secret To The Most Cutting-Edge Mental Health Treatments - Forbes - December 25th, 2021
- Happy Holidays From The Dales Report Team - The Dales Report - December 25th, 2021
- GOP Lawmakers File Bills To Streamline Research Into Marijuana, Psychedelics And Other Schedule I Drugs - Marijuana Moment - December 22nd, 2021
- Meet Zappy Zapolin, The Psychedelic Concierge Who Turned Lamar Odom On To Ketamine - Forbes - December 22nd, 2021
- Numinus Wellness inc: Leading in the psychedelics race - Proactive Investors UK - December 22nd, 2021
- When Aldous Huxley Opened the Doors of Perception - The MIT Press Reader - December 22nd, 2021
- Kratom Attracts Investor Attention After Regulatory Win - Bloomberg - December 22nd, 2021
- Two esteemed doctors join CB Therapeutics in its exploration of innovative approaches to the production of novel psychedelics and cannabinoids so... - December 22nd, 2021
- Revenge travel and psychedelic retreats: The travel trends taking flight in 2022 - AsiaOne - December 22nd, 2021
- Cybin Awarded Notice of Allowance from US Patent and Trademark Office for CYB004 (Deuterated Psychedelic Tryptamine) for the Treatment of Anxiety... - December 15th, 2021
- TGA blocks bid to have MDMA, magic mushrooms used to treat mental health conditions - ABC News - December 15th, 2021
- PharmaTher Announces Positive Research Results for LSD Microneedle Patch - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2021
- MDMA could soon be used to treat PTSD according to physicians - Mixmag - December 15th, 2021
- MindMed Appoints Robert Barrow as Chief Executive Officer and Director - Yahoo Finance - December 15th, 2021
- MAPS and Wesana Health Resume Negotiations - GlobeNewswire - December 15th, 2021
- Sex, psychedelics and murderous impulses: Do we know too much about Will Smith? - The Independent - November 7th, 2021
- PharmaDrug commissions TIBI for advancing psychedelics program with analogue DMT formulation to cure eye diseases - Proactive Investors USA - November 7th, 2021
- I Have $1,000. Should I Invest In Cannabis, Crypto Or Psychedelics? - Benzinga - Benzinga - November 7th, 2021
- Psychedelics Could Be New Frontier in End-of-Life Care - Hospice News - November 5th, 2021
- Psychedelics linked to lower risk of heart disease and diabetes - Medical News Today - November 5th, 2021
- The people turning to psychedelics on their deathbeds - The Independent - November 5th, 2021
- Psychedelic Therapy Is Hyped, But Its Not Risk-Free: How Therapy Abuse Can Retraumatize Clients - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- Defeating Gambling Addiction: New Study Looks To Defy The Odds With Psychedelics - Forbes - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Unicorn's Stock Is Up 50% In One MonthBeating Bitcoin, Ethereum And Dogecoin - Benzing - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- This Psychedelics Stock Was Up More Than 20% Last Week, Outperforming Tesla, Nvidia and GameStop - Benzinga - November 5th, 2021
- Biglaw Associate Is Advocating For Therapeutic Use Of Psychedelics And The Firm Is Backing Him Up - Above the Law - November 5th, 2021
- Easthampton is the fourth city in Mass. to vote to decriminalize psychedelics - WBUR - October 24th, 2021
- There Could Be a Curious Link Between Psychedelics And Improved Heart Health - ScienceAlert - October 24th, 2021
- How Atai Is Transforming The Landscape Of Mental Health Using Psychedelics (Part 2) - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- A recent history of therapeutic psychedelics - Toronto Life - October 24th, 2021
- New Research Hints at a Link Between Psychedelics and Improved Heart Health - The Swaddle - October 24th, 2021
- Why Ketamine-Assisted Therapy Has Gone Mainstream - Forbes - October 24th, 2021
- Ketamine and psilocybin, better known as party drugs, showing promise for treatment of mood disorders - CTV News - October 24th, 2021
- Recent progress in psychedelic therapies - Lexology - October 24th, 2021
- Miracles and medication: The new science of psychedelic drugs - Stuff.co.nz - October 24th, 2021
- UAB researcher granted federal funding for psilocybin and smoking study - The Mix - October 24th, 2021
- Yale researchers using psychedelics to find new treatments for depression - WTNH.com - September 17th, 2021
- Want Quick Exposure To The Psychedelics Sector? Check Out This New Active ETF - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- 5 things to know about the Ann Arbor psychedelic shroom fest - MLive.com - September 17th, 2021
- A Look At Psychedelics Stock PharmaTher And Its Recent Bull Run - Benzinga - Benzinga - September 17th, 2021
- Differentiated Approach in Psychedelics Boosts Confidence in Upcoming Clinical Trials for Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) -... - September 17th, 2021
- Psychedelics research and public education elevated by multiple gifts - UC Berkeley - September 16th, 2021
- Pain Awareness Month: Psychable Educates Patients on Transformative Power of Using Psychedelics as Medicine for Pain Treatment, Management and Healing... - September 16th, 2021
- $80 Million Granted to Research Psychedelic Properties of Ingesting Toad Venom - Newsweek - September 16th, 2021
- Psychedelic Use on the Rise As Gen Z Seeks To Enhance Connectedness - VICE UK - September 16th, 2021
- Phyto Partners Cannabis VC on Why He's Investing in Psychedelics - Business Insider - September 16th, 2021
- Detroit Voters Will Decide On Psychedelics Decriminalization Ballot Measure In November - Marijuana Moment - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle bid to decriminalize psychedelics could have profound effect on treating addiction - MyNorthwest.com - September 16th, 2021
- Post-9/11 vets go to Mexico to treat trauma with psychedelic - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 16th, 2021
- Lobe Sciences to Participate at the Advances in Me... | INN - Investing News Network - September 16th, 2021
- Seattle is now in the process of legalizing psychedelics, heres what to know - Curiocity - September 16th, 2021
- World Suicide Prevention Day: Suicide Remains a Leading Global Cause of Death; Communities Across the World Seek Expanded Use of Psychedelics as... - September 16th, 2021
- Psilocybin Transdermal Patches Could Be The Next Big Thing In Psychedelics - Forbes - September 1st, 2021
- Psychedelics are getting closer to approval, but the market may not be ready - FierceBiotech - August 22nd, 2021
- At-Home Genetic Testing Cant Tell You If Youre Going to Have a Bad Trip - VICE - August 22nd, 2021
- Past, Present & Future of Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy: A New Dawn for Mental Health and Neuroscience - cmc.edu - August 22nd, 2021
- Researchers breaking away from the central dogma of depression - STAT - STAT - August 22nd, 2021
- When did humans start experimenting with alcohol and drugs? - EL PAS in English - August 22nd, 2021
- Origin Therapeutics Will Invest $5.1M In Psychedelics Startups - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- GR is getting close to decriminalizing psychedelic plants and fungi - Fox17 - August 14th, 2021
- PsychedelicNewsBreaks Microdose Psychedelic Insights to Deep Dive into World of Psychedelic Medicine Investment at Upcoming Conference -... - August 14th, 2021
- Bexson Biomedical Launches New Project, Applying Subcutaneous Delivery Technology To Multiple Psychedelic Compounds For Therapeutic Use - PRNewswire - August 14th, 2021
- Neil deGrasse Tyson Talks Psychedelic Mushrooms And The Weird World Of Fungi On His Podcast - IFLScience - August 14th, 2021
- Delic Announces Luke Storey, Transformation Coach and Creator/Host of Thought-Provoking Podcast, The Life Stylist to Speak at Meet Delic: The World's... - August 14th, 2021
- Tryp Therapeutics Inc. (CSE: TRYP) (OTCQB: TRYPF) CEO Shares Insights on the Psychedelics Space on The Dealmaker Podcast - StreetInsider.com - August 14th, 2021
- Cybin Inc. Announces 2021 First Quarter Financial Results and Business Highlights - Business Wire - August 14th, 2021
- Biomind Labs Files Patent Application in the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Its 4th Patent Application - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- Researchers Concerned About Whitewashing of Psychedelic-Assisted Mental Health Research - Mad In America - James Moore - August 6th, 2021
- Cybin Becomes First Psychedelics Company On The NYSE: CEO Explains Everything You Need To Know - Yahoo Finance - August 6th, 2021
- Guide to the psychedelics industry: Companies, investors, science - Business Insider - August 6th, 2021