SAN FRANCISCO -- Ann Shulgin, who together with her late husband Alexander Shulgin pioneered the use of psychedelic drugs in psychotherapy and co-wrote two seminal books on the subject, has died at the age of 91.
Shulgin had been in ill health because of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, her daughter, Wendy Tucker, said. She died Saturday at the farm, a sprawling San Francisco Bay Area residence she shared with her chemist husband until his death in 2014, surrounded by loved ones, Tucker said.
Shulgin had a deep understanding of Jungian psychoanalysis and collaborated with her husband, who in the 1970s rediscovered the MDMA compound, better known as ecstasy, and introduced it as a possible mental health treatment. The couple tested the substances on themselves and a small group of friends.
He was the scientist, and I was the psychologist, Shulgin said of their partnership in a 2014 interview with The Associated Press. He was a genius.
Born in New Zealand to an American diplomat and New Zealand mother, Shulgin grew up in different parts of the world. The family settled in San Francisco after her father's retirement. A professionally trained artist, Shulgin drew and painted all her life and worked as a medical transcriber.
In 1978, she met Alexander Shulgin, who created more than 200 chemical compounds for use in psychotherapy.
The couples home, where Alexander Shulgin also had his lab, in Lafayette, California, about 22 miles (35 kilometers) east of San Francisco, for decades was a gathering place for students, teachers and those working with psychedelics.
Though she was not a professionally trained psychotherapist, she was always the one who people talk to and you always felt like you could open up to her. She called herself a lay therapist, Tucker said.
The couple took copious notes of their experiences and of what they observed in others and co-wrote two books. PiHKAL: A Chemical Love Story, which was published in 1991, and TiHKAL: The Continuation, published in 1997.
In PiHKAL, Shulgin wrote about her first experience with psychedelics when she was in her 20s.
I saw something forming in the air, slightly above the level of my head. I thought that it was perhaps a few feet from me, then I realized I couldnt actually locate it in space at all. It was a moving spiral opening, up there in the cool air, and I knew it was a doorway to the other side of existence, that I could step through it if I wished to be finished with this particular life I was living, and that there was nothing threatening or menacing about it; in fact, it was completely friendly. I also knew that I had no intention of stepping through it because there was still a great deal I wanted to do in my life, and I intended to live long enough to get it all done. The lovely spiral door didnt beckon; it was just matter-of-factly there," she wrote.
Publishers were afraid to print their first book about MDMA so the couple, who were against ecstasy being used outside of therapy, self-published it because they wanted to share their experiences and knowledge with the world, Tucker said.
They were the ones pushing to do all the PTSD work with veterans with MDMA because they saw people who had severe trauma could really break through. They were so brave to publish their work because that really opened the door and paved the way to all that is happening now, Tucker said.
In the U.S., several states have approved studying the potential medical use of psychedelics, which are still illegal under federal law. A string of cities have also decriminalized so-called magic mushrooms, and an explosion of investment money is flowing into the arena.
Experts say the research is promising for treating conditions ranging from PTSD to smoking addiction, but caution that some serious risks remain, especially for those with certain mental health conditions.
We lost years and years of research ability because of the attitude and fears around psychedelics. But we wouldnt be where we are if it wasnt for Ann and Sasha, she added.
Shulgin is survived by four children, eight grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. A memorial is being planned for later in the year.
- Psychedelics and mental health: the potential, risks and hype - WHYY - September 27th, 2022
- Is Now a Good Time to Invest In Psychedelics Stocks? - The Motley Fool - September 27th, 2022
- I went to the only psychedelic dispensary in North Americaheres how they do it - The Manual - September 27th, 2022
- Psychedelic drugs: how to tell good research from bad - The Conversation Indonesia - September 27th, 2022
- The Connection Between Psychedelics and Grief - Psychedelic Spotlight - September 27th, 2022
- Effects of LSD and Psilocybin in Healthy Participants - Psychiatric Times - September 27th, 2022
- Cannabis And Psilocybin May Have Helped This Woman's Breast Cancer Treatment - IFLScience - September 27th, 2022
- Ketamine, psilocybin and ecstasy are coming to the medicine cabinet - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2022
- American Legion and Reality Center Partner to Provide Patented, Drug-Free Psychedelic Experience to Veter - Benzinga - September 27th, 2022
- Let's Bring the Informed Consent Process Out of the Shadows - Undark Magazine - September 27th, 2022
- Nicole Krauss on Death, Birth, and Middle Age - The New Yorker - September 27th, 2022
- Daily Skimm: Psychedelics, The DOJ, and iMessages - theSkimm - September 15th, 2022
- Inside the UK's new psychedelic drug trial clinic trying to treat depression and anxiety - iNews - September 15th, 2022
- What A Trip: Delix Therapeutics is Treating Mental Health at Scale with Psychoplastogens - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 15th, 2022
- HealingMaps Announces $1 Million in Seed Funding to Power Growth in Psychedelic Therapy Industry - Yahoo Finance - September 15th, 2022
- Nav Talks The Moment He Realized He Made It; It Involves Psychedelics - UPROXX - September 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics and Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy - September 7th, 2022
- Preparing for a new era of psychedelic treatment - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - September 7th, 2022
- Toronto is getting a trippy psychedelics immersive exhibition this month - Curiocity - September 7th, 2022
- Xtalks to host upcoming webinar on psychedelic know-how - Mugglehead - September 7th, 2022
- An immersive psychedelic exhibition is opening in Toronto this month | Listed - Daily Hive - September 7th, 2022
- Netflixs How to Change Your Mind Says Drugs Are the Answer Are They Right? - Goalcast - September 7th, 2022
- Yeah, Mental Health, Bro, It Starts With Self-Love | Aaron Rodgers Says His Use Of Psychedelics Has Increased His Passion For Life And The Game Of... - September 7th, 2022
- Delic Executive Chairman Matt Stang Named to World Biz Magazine's Top 100 CEOs in Innovation - Yahoo Finance - September 7th, 2022
- Cannabis and Hallucinogens Are Being Consumed at the Highest Rates on Record by Today's Young Adults - Cannabis Science and Technology - September 7th, 2022
- Aspen considers the value of psychedelics for mental wellness - The Aspen Times - August 29th, 2022
- Oregon's Psychedelics Law Comes Down To Individuals: Which Counties Will Ban Them? - Benzinga - August 29th, 2022
- The Black mothers finding freedom in mushrooms: They give us our power back - The Guardian - August 29th, 2022
- Psychedelic Water CEO Pankaj Gogia Talks About The Future Of Psychedelics - Exclusive - Health Digest - August 2nd, 2022
- Biden Administration Says Task Force Is Needed to Advance Psychedelics Research - Green Entrepreneur - August 2nd, 2022
- Legalizing the trip: One 'shroom advocate's playbook - POLITICO - August 2nd, 2022
- 'The result was a rebirth. I finally got where I wanted to go': Celebs who have tried psychedelics - The Daily Post-Athenian - August 2nd, 2022
- Texas' first Ceremonial Psychedelic Treatment Center WITHIN opens in Austin - PR Web - August 2nd, 2022
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Psychedelics, Neurodevelopment and Electrophysiology job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY | 303322 - Times Higher Education - August 2nd, 2022
- Unlimited Sciences Announces Groundbreaking New Study to Observe Ayahuasca's Effects on Trauma - Business Wire - August 2nd, 2022
- Good Trip? How Psychiatrists Got Serious About Using Psychedelics to Treat Mental Health - Robb Report - July 25th, 2022
- The hope and hype of psychedelic therapy - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Microdosing Psilocybin Mushrooms May Improve Mental Health and Mood - Healthline - July 25th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of July 18 - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Psyched Up: The race to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Keeping the Hippie Dream Alive - The New York Times - July 25th, 2022
- DEA Sued Over Delays To Open Records For Psychedelics And Cannabis - Benzinga - Benzinga - July 25th, 2022
- Trade to Black Podcast: the Senate Vs the Cannabis Administration Opportunity Act - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Otago academic and comedian takes on the science of getting high - Stuff - July 25th, 2022
- Can mad honey get you high? A bee expert reveals the answer - Inverse - July 25th, 2022
- The promise of psychedelics - Investors' Chronicle - Investors Chronicle - July 14th, 2022
- House Moves to Expand Psychedelic Therapy Research - The Intercept - July 14th, 2022
- Doctors Urge Access to Psychedelic Therapies in New Mexico - TIME - July 14th, 2022
- States That Have Made Advancements Toward Legalizing Psychedelics - StreetInsider.com - July 14th, 2022
- Canada: 100+ Healthcare Professionals Protest Psilocybin Access Ban For Psychedelics-Assisted Therapy Training - Benzinga - July 14th, 2022
- Optimi Health Finalizes Psilocybin Supply Agreement With Bloom Psychedelic Therapy And Research Centre - Marketscreener.com - July 14th, 2022
- Psychedelics gave me the courage to take charge of my romantic life - Mic - July 7th, 2022
- Goodbye Weed and Acid, Hello Magic Mushrooms - Psychedelic Spotlight - July 7th, 2022
- Meet the Married Couple Trailblazing the Development of Psychedelic Therapies - PR Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Berkeley's psychedelic rebbe is ready for the first Jewish cannabis retreat - The Jewish News of Northern California - July 7th, 2022
- CaaMTech Collaborates With the Alexander Shulgin Research Institute to Study Shulgin Compounds - Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Origin Therapeutics adds Clairvoyant Therapeutics to its Portfolio - GlobeNewswire - July 7th, 2022
- Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy & Medicine - Psychedelics.com - July 4th, 2022
- Can microdosing psychedelics improve your mental health? Here's what the science says - ABC News - July 4th, 2022
- Inside Vision Treks: The Mind Armys Psychedelic Retreat Takes Strangers Into The Desert - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- GOP Congressman's Amendment Would Direct Military To Study Psilocybin And MDMA Benefits For Service Members - Marijuana Moment - July 4th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms: BC production facility one of a handful licensed to grow - CTV News - July 4th, 2022
- 3 Paranormal Experiences That Have Caught The Attention Of Mental Health Researchers - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- VA Studying Psychedelics As Mental Health Treatment For Veterans - Forbes - June 29th, 2022
- 10 Psychedelics CEOs To Pay Attention To In 2022 - Yahoo Finance - June 29th, 2022
- Secret ancient Andean passageways may have been used in rituals involving psychedelics - Livescience.com - June 29th, 2022
- How psychedelics act on the brain to relieve depression - Daily Maverick - June 29th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are all the rage. But are they Jewish? - The Guardian - June 29th, 2022
- Treating Stress with Wearable Technology - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - PR Newswire - June 29th, 2022
- This Week in Psychedelic Stocks: Compass Pathways Wins Patent Battle, MindMed Patents Candy Flipping, and More! - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Is there a future for psychedelic treatment in Saudi Arabia? - Arab News - June 29th, 2022
- Optimi Health Initiates Agreement With SABI Mind For Therapeutic Supplies Of Psilocybin, MDMA - Marketscreener.com - June 29th, 2022
- Braxia Scientific CEO to Deliver Keynote Address at HC Wainwright & Co. 1st Annual Mental Health Conference: Neuropsychiatry, Psychedelics, and... - June 29th, 2022
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-Assisted Therapy in Hawaii: A Brief Review - Cureus - June 29th, 2022
- How an NHL Enforcer Broke His Body and Turned to Psychedelics to Heal His Brain - Rolling Stone - June 22nd, 2022
- The top psychedelic drug developers leading the market - Labiotech.eu - June 22nd, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2022
- Two psychedelic-related initiatives may be on the 2022 Colorado ballot - Denver 7 Colorado News - June 22nd, 2022
- Cybin Inc. Reports Fiscal Year 2022 Financial Results and Recent Business Highlights - Business Wire - June 22nd, 2022