New studies attempt to integrate unreal experiences with reality.
Transcendent, mystical, and out-of-body experiences are becoming a mainstream conversation not just in pop culture, but also in the field of psychological research. While more and more studies are cropping up to try to determine the causes and nature of these experiences, it can still feel unnerving to actually go through one.
Luckily, there has been a resurgence of literature on these seemingly fringe areas of human perception specifically psychedelic, mystical, and ghostly episodes. Heres some information on each to make you feel less alone and less frightened in case you encounter one in the future.
#1. Psychedelic experiences
Psychedelic experiences and psychedelic therapy have shown early promise in the treatment of otherwise intractable conditions such as major depression, existential anxiety, addiction, and PTSD.
Not just that, psychedelics such as psilocybin and ayahuasca that have been used in shamanic cultures for centuries have been known to induce feelings of deep interconnectedness, joy, love, and awe relieving people of the distressing effects of neuroticism and negative emotions.
In some cases, these psychedelics have caused long-term positive personality changes.
However, since there is a lot that we dont understand about these substances, it is important to be mindful of the following factors, should you choose to have such an experience. Here are a few recommendations given by psychologist and psychedelia researcher, Sam Gandy:
#2. Mystical experiences
According to a recent study, mystical experiences, such as feeling like you are part of a higher force and/or temporarily losing touch with time and space (not induced by drugs), can be indicative of healthy psychological functioning even though it is often thought to be associated with psychological illness.
Such a mystical experience characterized by feelings of joy, happiness, unconditional love, collective consciousness and divine predetermination is actually connected to spiritual intelligence that includes a set of adaptive abilities such as:
Psychologists Daiga Katrna Bitna and Kristne Mrtinsone of Rga Stradi University in Riga, Latvia have the following advice for anyone who might be struggling to come to terms with a mystical experience:
The most practical advice for a person who has experienced a mystical experience is, at least initially, to understand that this experience may be part of spiritual development or that it may be a symptom of pathology, they explain. It is important to accept both views at the same time with an open view and the fact that they can both coexist. Don't choose between either but try to understand how it is and how I should react to what I am experiencing.
#3. Ghostly experiences
A ghostly episode or a haunting is probably the most controversial of the three paranormal experiences discussed in this article and is often the toughest to come to terms with. It is important to understand that even these experiences come under the purview of psychological research and, more importantly, are real.
Firstly, if you have had a ghostly experience or an anomalous experience, chances are you are high on the trait of transliminality a concept that represents a thin boundary between the conscious self and unconscious self, as well as the outside environment, according to psychologist Brian Laythe.
Information from any of these sources tends to pass more easily within a person high in transliminality, informs Laythe. The state and trait nature of transliminality share relationships with creativity, imagination, fantasy traits, disassociation, and temporal lobe lability.
According to Laythe, whether or not people choose to interpret anomalous experiences as paranormal, they do not have to feel alone or crazy for having gone through them due to the following reasons:
Laythe points out that ghostly episodes, shamanic experiences, and general high strangeness have been well documented throughout history. Furthermore, over 100 years of modern empirical psychology show they are not going away despite changes in society's zeitgeist.
In these sorts of experiences, knowing that your experience is actually not uncommon, and has some predictable components is often helpful, he concludes.
Conclusion: There is much to be discovered and explained by psychology and research, especially when it comes to such extraordinary experiences. If you or a loved one has had one of these experiences, it is important to know that they are far more common than you think and do not necessarily point to a pathology. In the case of psychedelics, they may even serve as a beneficial course of treatment.
Read the original here:
- Psychedelics Companies And IPs: An Extended Patent Application To Protect Multiple LSD Derivatives - Bett - Benzinga - September 29th, 2022
- Congressman Says Psychedelics Show 'Real Promise' As Alternative Therapies At Committee Hearing - Marijuana Moment - September 29th, 2022
- Psychedelics and mental health: the potential, risks and hype - WHYY - September 27th, 2022
- Is Now a Good Time to Invest In Psychedelics Stocks? - The Motley Fool - September 27th, 2022
- I went to the only psychedelic dispensary in North Americaheres how they do it - The Manual - September 27th, 2022
- Psychedelic drugs: how to tell good research from bad - The Conversation Indonesia - September 27th, 2022
- The Connection Between Psychedelics and Grief - Psychedelic Spotlight - September 27th, 2022
- Effects of LSD and Psilocybin in Healthy Participants - Psychiatric Times - September 27th, 2022
- Cannabis And Psilocybin May Have Helped This Woman's Breast Cancer Treatment - IFLScience - September 27th, 2022
- Ketamine, psilocybin and ecstasy are coming to the medicine cabinet - Yahoo Finance - September 27th, 2022
- American Legion and Reality Center Partner to Provide Patented, Drug-Free Psychedelic Experience to Veter - Benzinga - September 27th, 2022
- Let's Bring the Informed Consent Process Out of the Shadows - Undark Magazine - September 27th, 2022
- Nicole Krauss on Death, Birth, and Middle Age - The New Yorker - September 27th, 2022
- Daily Skimm: Psychedelics, The DOJ, and iMessages - theSkimm - September 15th, 2022
- Inside the UK's new psychedelic drug trial clinic trying to treat depression and anxiety - iNews - September 15th, 2022
- What A Trip: Delix Therapeutics is Treating Mental Health at Scale with Psychoplastogens - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 15th, 2022
- HealingMaps Announces $1 Million in Seed Funding to Power Growth in Psychedelic Therapy Industry - Yahoo Finance - September 15th, 2022
- Nav Talks The Moment He Realized He Made It; It Involves Psychedelics - UPROXX - September 15th, 2022
- Psychedelics and Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy - September 7th, 2022
- Preparing for a new era of psychedelic treatment - The Hub at Johns Hopkins - September 7th, 2022
- Toronto is getting a trippy psychedelics immersive exhibition this month - Curiocity - September 7th, 2022
- Xtalks to host upcoming webinar on psychedelic know-how - Mugglehead - September 7th, 2022
- An immersive psychedelic exhibition is opening in Toronto this month | Listed - Daily Hive - September 7th, 2022
- Netflixs How to Change Your Mind Says Drugs Are the Answer Are They Right? - Goalcast - September 7th, 2022
- Yeah, Mental Health, Bro, It Starts With Self-Love | Aaron Rodgers Says His Use Of Psychedelics Has Increased His Passion For Life And The Game Of... - September 7th, 2022
- Delic Executive Chairman Matt Stang Named to World Biz Magazine's Top 100 CEOs in Innovation - Yahoo Finance - September 7th, 2022
- Cannabis and Hallucinogens Are Being Consumed at the Highest Rates on Record by Today's Young Adults - Cannabis Science and Technology - September 7th, 2022
- Aspen considers the value of psychedelics for mental wellness - The Aspen Times - August 29th, 2022
- Oregon's Psychedelics Law Comes Down To Individuals: Which Counties Will Ban Them? - Benzinga - August 29th, 2022
- The Black mothers finding freedom in mushrooms: They give us our power back - The Guardian - August 29th, 2022
- Psychedelic Water CEO Pankaj Gogia Talks About The Future Of Psychedelics - Exclusive - Health Digest - August 2nd, 2022
- Biden Administration Says Task Force Is Needed to Advance Psychedelics Research - Green Entrepreneur - August 2nd, 2022
- Legalizing the trip: One 'shroom advocate's playbook - POLITICO - August 2nd, 2022
- 'The result was a rebirth. I finally got where I wanted to go': Celebs who have tried psychedelics - The Daily Post-Athenian - August 2nd, 2022
- Texas' first Ceremonial Psychedelic Treatment Center WITHIN opens in Austin - PR Web - August 2nd, 2022
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Psychedelics, Neurodevelopment and Electrophysiology job with UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY | 303322 - Times Higher Education - August 2nd, 2022
- Unlimited Sciences Announces Groundbreaking New Study to Observe Ayahuasca's Effects on Trauma - Business Wire - August 2nd, 2022
- Good Trip? How Psychiatrists Got Serious About Using Psychedelics to Treat Mental Health - Robb Report - July 25th, 2022
- The hope and hype of psychedelic therapy - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Microdosing Psilocybin Mushrooms May Improve Mental Health and Mood - Healthline - July 25th, 2022
- TDR's Top 5 Psychedelic Developments For The Week Of July 18 - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Psyched Up: The race to make psychedelic drugs part of mainstream medicine - ABC News - July 25th, 2022
- Keeping the Hippie Dream Alive - The New York Times - July 25th, 2022
- DEA Sued Over Delays To Open Records For Psychedelics And Cannabis - Benzinga - Benzinga - July 25th, 2022
- Trade to Black Podcast: the Senate Vs the Cannabis Administration Opportunity Act - The Dales Report - July 25th, 2022
- Otago academic and comedian takes on the science of getting high - Stuff - July 25th, 2022
- Can mad honey get you high? A bee expert reveals the answer - Inverse - July 25th, 2022
- The promise of psychedelics - Investors' Chronicle - Investors Chronicle - July 14th, 2022
- House Moves to Expand Psychedelic Therapy Research - The Intercept - July 14th, 2022
- Ann Shulgin, pioneer of psychedelics in therapy, dies at 91 - ABC News - July 14th, 2022
- Doctors Urge Access to Psychedelic Therapies in New Mexico - TIME - July 14th, 2022
- States That Have Made Advancements Toward Legalizing Psychedelics - StreetInsider.com - July 14th, 2022
- Canada: 100+ Healthcare Professionals Protest Psilocybin Access Ban For Psychedelics-Assisted Therapy Training - Benzinga - July 14th, 2022
- Optimi Health Finalizes Psilocybin Supply Agreement With Bloom Psychedelic Therapy And Research Centre - Marketscreener.com - July 14th, 2022
- Psychedelics gave me the courage to take charge of my romantic life - Mic - July 7th, 2022
- Goodbye Weed and Acid, Hello Magic Mushrooms - Psychedelic Spotlight - July 7th, 2022
- Meet the Married Couple Trailblazing the Development of Psychedelic Therapies - PR Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Berkeley's psychedelic rebbe is ready for the first Jewish cannabis retreat - The Jewish News of Northern California - July 7th, 2022
- CaaMTech Collaborates With the Alexander Shulgin Research Institute to Study Shulgin Compounds - Newswire - July 7th, 2022
- Origin Therapeutics adds Clairvoyant Therapeutics to its Portfolio - GlobeNewswire - July 7th, 2022
- Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy & Medicine - Psychedelics.com - July 4th, 2022
- Can microdosing psychedelics improve your mental health? Here's what the science says - ABC News - July 4th, 2022
- Inside Vision Treks: The Mind Armys Psychedelic Retreat Takes Strangers Into The Desert - Forbes - July 4th, 2022
- GOP Congressman's Amendment Would Direct Military To Study Psilocybin And MDMA Benefits For Service Members - Marijuana Moment - July 4th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms: BC production facility one of a handful licensed to grow - CTV News - July 4th, 2022
- VA Studying Psychedelics As Mental Health Treatment For Veterans - Forbes - June 29th, 2022
- 10 Psychedelics CEOs To Pay Attention To In 2022 - Yahoo Finance - June 29th, 2022
- Secret ancient Andean passageways may have been used in rituals involving psychedelics - Livescience.com - June 29th, 2022
- How psychedelics act on the brain to relieve depression - Daily Maverick - June 29th, 2022
- Magic mushrooms are all the rage. But are they Jewish? - The Guardian - June 29th, 2022
- Treating Stress with Wearable Technology - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - PR Newswire - June 29th, 2022
- This Week in Psychedelic Stocks: Compass Pathways Wins Patent Battle, MindMed Patents Candy Flipping, and More! - Psychedelic Spotlight - June 29th, 2022
- Is there a future for psychedelic treatment in Saudi Arabia? - Arab News - June 29th, 2022
- Optimi Health Initiates Agreement With SABI Mind For Therapeutic Supplies Of Psilocybin, MDMA - Marketscreener.com - June 29th, 2022
- Braxia Scientific CEO to Deliver Keynote Address at HC Wainwright & Co. 1st Annual Mental Health Conference: Neuropsychiatry, Psychedelics, and... - June 29th, 2022
- Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA)-Assisted Therapy in Hawaii: A Brief Review - Cureus - June 29th, 2022
- How an NHL Enforcer Broke His Body and Turned to Psychedelics to Heal His Brain - Rolling Stone - June 22nd, 2022
- The top psychedelic drug developers leading the market - Labiotech.eu - June 22nd, 2022
- Numinus Applies for International Patent Filing of Psychedelics Production Process - Yahoo Finance - June 22nd, 2022